• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Goombas in Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garato

Am I the only one who finds it odd that in Legend Of Zelda Links Awakining
they have goombas? As far as we know Link has never heard or seen a goomba in his life. I can only guss three possable theorys.

1- ( The oddest) even though link thinks he is dreaming he is really near the mushroom kingdom?

2- (The most unlikely) even though link has never seen or heard of a goomba he somehow dreams of one.

3- (The most likely) What we think is a goomba is just a walking mushroom

I would also like to point out that there is a youshi doll and those giant flytrap plants... (sorry i forgot what they are called) any ideas my friends?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
It's just a dream, anything can go down in a dream. If something resembles what you saw before, it's normally a dream. Not everything however has to come from life experiences, Mario proved that point to me.

Johnny Boy

Doctor JB!
It's correctly spelled Yoshi. :cool:
The designers of Link's Awakening most likely threw in many things
from the world of Mario like the pirahna plants, chain chomps, goombas, and Yoshi, mostly just for perks.
I think it's cool to add in a little easter egg every once in a while.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I had completely forgot there was so many little nods to Mario in LA. I remembered things like the Bowser pin / clip on Malon in OoT, and also the portraits in Hyrule castle in that one as well, but I forgot about LA's references.

Of course, Link does show up in Mario RPG, and there's Metroids in Kid Icarus, so it seems they're all of one world (like how it's set up in Smash Bros perhaps...?)

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
yes thats true good chum i just like to find logical (zelda wise) reasons for how things happen. Prehaps link saw a goomba in the original smash bros lololol

You can't start to question everything in Zelda. Most of the things fall under the "it's a videogame" category.

Nintendo likes to put cameos of other franchises in their games.
It doesn't mean that all games are in the same world, just that the creators like to throw easter eggs(sometimes they aren't much of easter eggs, but still).
For example, in ALttP there's also a Mario painting. In the Mario RPG games there are several references to Zelda, including unused text found in the data of the first Mario RPG in wich Link would give Mario the Triforce in change of the True force or something on these lines

Well, It's a dream, simple as taht. So really, they have an excuse to be there. Same way Kirby does. He appeared somewhere, too. Also, there were chain chomps, other stuff....mario stuff blended in with Zelda stuff.....maybe they were sneakily trying ot advertise super Mario?

G

garato

Look All Im saying is with all these refrances I find it hard to say they are all simply
"eastereggs" And I also find it hard that link could simply "dream" monsters like that.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Look All Im saying is with all these refrances I find it hard to say they are all simply
"eastereggs" And I also find it hard that link could simply "dream" monsters like that.

Remember it was not that hard for Mario to do the same exact thing. Before anyone says different game and different inspiration. Let me point something out to you, they were made by the same man who at the time was thinking of Zelda as a light hearted adventure based on his childhood.

G

garato

Mmmmmm Yes that is true. But I may point out that both mario and zelda are two diffrent games... Ya know even though they were made by the same person.

I found it at first confusing but at the same time cool. Come on, Bow ow was such a cool pet! ♥

I think that is another of the reasons I liked a lot LA, for all the Mario Bros/ References.

Like most people said, LA is just a big dream. Therefore, it gives Nintendo the ability to throw in more obvious Easter eggs than in a real world Zelda game. Among the Mario references, there is also the advancement in technology in LA, such as the telephone. Whenever you click on it for the first time, the message "what is this thing" (or something along those lines) comes up. There is also the whole camera addition to the DX version. All of these can be done because in a dream, you are liable to see about anything.

I think Nintendo just decided to put 'em in for fun.

To be honest though, I think they're one of the drawbacks about Link's Awakening. I could handle it when in Oot they were little things like the pins, or the paintings.

Though in Link's Awakening, I think there's too much Mario for a Zelda game. I thought the Chain Chomp was a bad idea, but I put up with it. I think they ruined it with the Pirahna plans and goombas. I thought it was too gimmicky.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
i see those as more easter egg enemies. they wanted people to say "oh cool, a Mario enemy"

also, there is a kirby-like enemy in LA, as well.

I suppose they just wanted to take the opportunity that this game was more of a dream that a real happening in LoZ to experiment with such things.

Where do you find that Kirby-like enemy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom