• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gap Between the Dimensions

Smoore

The Rational Theist
I just came across this in Ocarina of Time, and I never really thought about it before. Ganondorf tells Link that he is banishing his worthless Phantom Ganon to the gap between the dimensions. Does anyone know what this is? Is it between Hyrule and the Sacred Realm, Hyrule and Termina, or someplace else?

Thanks!

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
i remember in TP the twilight realm is described as a realm between the worlds of light and shadow, so i believe the "gap between dimensions" is the twilight realm.
I don't think that refers to a literal 'World of Light' and 'World of Shadow'. It's just explaining how twilight is that time when it's not sunny but not night. The tail end of the day, when the sun dips below the horizon and - while it's still light - everything becomes shadow. That's what the Twilight Realm is: the shadow of Hyrule. (This is stated in-game, I believe.)

I kill myself for saying this in the Theory section (and I might end up moving this out of the Theory section, since there isn't anything to go on), but I imagine Hyrule being a segment on a discontinuous axis of a higher dimension (i.e. 5th; "probability") along which other worlds such as Termina also lie. The "gap between dimensions" is the sum total of the portions of this axis that do not support worlds or realities. Link passes through this gap on his way to Termina: between the fall and the twisted corridor. ...but this is fanfic stuff.

Shadow Mori

the shadow of the moon
I don't think that refers to a literal 'World of Light' and 'World of Shadow'. It's just explaining how twilight is that time when it's not sunny but not night. The tail end of the day, when the sun dips below the horizon and - while it's still light - everything becomes shadow. That's what the Twilight Realm is: the shadow of Hyrule. (This is stated in-game, I believe.)

Well what about the "Dark World" And "Light World" In ALTTP???

I don't think that refers to a literal 'World of Light' and 'World of Shadow'. It's just explaining how twilight is that time when it's not sunny but not night. The tail end of the day, when the sun dips below the horizon and - while it's still light - everything becomes shadow. That's what the Twilight Realm is: the shadow of Hyrule. (This is stated in-game, I believe)

in TP Hyrule is frequently referred to as the "world of light", which would lead one to believe that does refer to literal worlds of light and shadow. As for the "world of shadow", i think it is Termina, since (like light relative to shadow) it is a world that is parellel and in ways opposite to Hyrule

in TP Hyrule is frequently referred to as the "world of light", which would lead one to believe that does refer to literal worlds of light and shadow. As for the "world of shadow", i think it is Termina, since (like light relative to shadow) it is a world that is parellel and in ways opposite to Hyrule

The phrase "world of light" does not have to be interpreted as a literal distinction between separate light and dark world but rather as an allegory for Hyrule when it is not blanketed by twilight as Locke mentioned earlier.

JDUDE321 said:
As for the "world of shadow", i think it is Termina, since (like light relative to shadow) it is a world that is parellel and in ways opposite to Hyrule

Majora's Mask was always meant to be a one-time side game and therefore I always doubt that any other Zelda game actually directly references its world.

Shadow Mori said:
Well what about the "Dark World" And "Light World" In ALTTP???

Notice that placement of the word "world" in "Dark World" and "Light World" as oppose to "World of Light" and "World of Shadow". The first two heavily lean towards literal worlds, one of light and hte other of dark, while the other two metaphorically describe a world in terms of light and shadow.

It's probably just some empty void or the Twilight Realm. It's not been mentioned again as far as I'm aware but to me they seem like the two best choices.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me

I kill myself for saying this in the Theory section (and I might end up moving this out of the Theory section, since there isn't anything to go on), but I imagine Hyrule being a segment on a discontinuous axis of a higher dimension (i.e. 5th; "probability") along which other worlds such as Termina also lie. The "gap between dimensions" is the sum total of the portions of this axis that do not support worlds or realities. Link passes through this gap on his way to Termina: between the fall and the twisted corridor. ...but this is fanfic stuff.

This is actually similar to my own timeline explanations.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If Ganondorf really were able to create brides into alternate dimensions/the gaps between them, being banished to the Twilight Realm in TP would have been no big deal at all. He would have just hopped straight outta there and continued with his merciless sage slaughtering.

He would only be able to do that when he was actually in physical form and operating in the world of light, besides I believe Ganondorf was totally disintegrated when he was sucked through the twilight portal, he says how the hatred of the Twili bled across the void and awakened him, if he was physically in the twilight realm and had a body their hatred would have no void to bleed across. He needed someone with a physical body to house his power in so he could be reborn in physical form. I'm sure in his human form he would be able to summon or banish all kinds of things exactly like he claimed to do.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Personally, I think the 'gap between dimensions' definitely doesn't refer to somewhere literal, as in between Hyrule and Termina, because I just thought that Termina existed in the same 'realm' as Hyrule, or at least running on the same timeline. Termina wasn't mentioned in OoT because it wasn't relevant at the time as the game was only about saving Hyrule and not anywhere else.
The reason the twilight wasn't mentioned in OoT would probably be for the same reason, furthermore, the people living in the world of light in that game don't know about the world of shadows which is why they're so confused when weird bugs and stuff appear. This is why it is Link who is the hero, because he is the soul person who does not just appear in spirit form in twilight, but as a wolf.
Anyway, I don't think Phantom Ganon was banished there ever. I think possibly SS needs to be incooperated at this point as it gives the backstory to Hyrule's original creation and also the return of Hylia's people to the surface (I hope this isn't giving away too many spoilers for that game). Anyway, all three (MM, TP, SS) considered, I would say his phantom was possibly banished to some time before the events of OoT, perhaps just as the essence of demise or even in a third timeline. This is just speculation though.

^^ Maybe that's where ALttP fits

From it's definition, I believe it is just some kind of void of nothingness meant to make Ganondorf look intimating and powerful to Link. Why simply destroy Phantom Ganon when you can send him to a limbo forever, unable to interact with anything at all. The game never mentions this gap ever again and I don't think it relates to the Dark World, Termina, or the Twilight Realm.

WechyPichu

is hiding behind 7 froxie
Wait, considering some geographical facts about termina.... Could It be possible that Termina is an early civilization ( In a parrelell dimension, of course.)? And, if Termina has a different time flow then Hyrule , while the "dark tribe" is creating Majora's Mask, The events of Ocarina of Time are happening, and Termina wouldnt be affected by what Zelda did (not going to say, spoilers.) and grow out a little, then Majora's Mask takes place. And, Termina might also not be affected by the 7 years passing. So, Phantom Gannon might be the evil essence inside of Majora's mask.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
i sorta had this idea that he banished into termina,and here's my reason:

that battle took place in the adult timeline,which after ocarina comes wind waker,which phantom ganon appears again
but the thing is,his sword in wind waker has the inscription 'zubora gabora',which are the names of the terminian blacksmiths,so that sorta lead me to assume the phantom was banished into termina [not sure if that exact location really was ganon's intention] and somehow was revived,somehow had zubora & gabora make that sword for him,and SOMEHOW managed to make it back to [now flooded] hyrule after about a century

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
So, Phantom Gannon might be the evil essence inside of Majora's mask.

Even if you subscribe to the theory that Termina is a parallel world to Hyrule or the events of it all happened in Link's head or whatever, neither of these well thought-out theories have space for Ganon being the essence of Majora's Mask. I like your thinking though. However, in my opinion, the events of OoT only concerned Hyrule because that is where the events take place, and I view Termina as a kind of neighbouring country Link accidentally ends up in in MM :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom