• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Time-Proof Bank Account?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
In Majora's Mask, as a precaution to keep your rupees safe, there is a bank in West Clock Town that allows you to stash your rupees and for them to be accessible at ANY time. This means that you could deposit 500 rupees or so on Day 3, play the Song of time, and get those rupees out on Day One, BEFORE YOU HAVE EVEN GOTTEN THEM! The obvious answer is that this is just a game mechanic, but it doesn't really make sense...:S My explanation is that Link has a stamp on him (alluded to when you open up your account) that tells the bank teller (tells the teller :) ) how much you can withdraw. However, isn't it a bis odd that the teller doesn't get suspicious that some kid he's never seen before has a stamp voucher for 5000 rupees? Isn't there some sort of fraud potential here? Your thoughts.

Dan

Haha so true but I still think it's quite clever how they worked that bank into the game.
Erm maybe he's just got a bad memory ?

Every videogame has certain unrealistic elements to it. In Majora's Mask, there are too many to count-transformation masks, a moon with a face that's about to destroy Termina, talking fairies. And then you get into titles like Call of Duty where there are zombies around every corner. I think it's safe to say that you are over analyzing things and that the bank was a precaution taken by Nintendo to make Majora's Mask fun while not necessarily realistic. ;)

octorok74

TETTAC
I always did find it strange, but I shrugged it off due to how rich I was. But I guess it is perplexing since how does the teller get that money, especially since Link may be his only customer. Does the teller have to pay Link out of his wallet. Kind of weird if you ask me, but I like this thread.

Terminus

I always did find it strange, but I shrugged it off due to how rich I was. But I guess it is perplexing since how does the teller get that money, especially since Link may be his only customer. Does the teller have to pay Link out of his wallet. Kind of weird if you ask me, but I like this thread.

I never got that. I always had so much money in my wallet so it wasn't that big of a deal. I hate how you have to loose EVERYTHING in your pockets:(

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
It's the world of Zelda, what do you expect?
Not everything in video games can be logical, and it's best not to over-think it, but it's fun to theorize about it. =)

I think it's a weird but wonderful aspect to the game. Up until you hit 5000 of course then the saving side gets binned (why? surely let us build up an account for no reason).

It's actually the only thing I can't justify with the Ocarina of Time. Every item in Link's possession when he uses the Ocarina stays with him. But he has to reset his inventory. Kind of makes sense. So what magic powers of time does the banker have? Maybe that's how he stays in business.

Either way, I guess we all want one of these accounts IRL.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
That's something I've always thought about myself, but it is a game afterall and not realistic so of course the programmers can do whatever they want. I thought it was pure genious.

Hehe, the guy always seemed a little "off" to me.. ;)
maybe he was in his own world, and didn't really notice things like that. because his mental state was altered.if you get what I mean? ;) no? hehe okay.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Admittedly, you can't think about this too long or hard, because it's just a simple gameplay mechanic, but here's what is essentially happening:

The banker sees his signature stamp on Link, and knows Link should has X amount of rupees stored in the bank, as indicated from the stamp. I guess he just assumes it's correct and he forgot about Link or something, so he doesn't question it (some banker, right?). Technically, as far as the timeline is concerned, those are rupees in the bank aren't Link's, because Link never collected them in this "new" timeline. So the rupees Link gets because of the stamp aren't his, but someone else's. The banker doesn't know this, because that's just what his stamp said to give Link.

So essentially, you're robbing the bank every time you withdraw after playing the Song of Time. Haha shortly after Termina is saved from the Moon, the banker is going to figure out something's off, and he's going to have one mad customer!

Last edited:

Terminus

Admittedly, you can't think about this too long or hard, because it's just a simple gameplay mechanic, but here's what is essentially happening:

The banker sees his signature stamp on Link, and knows Link should has X amount of rupees stored in the bank, as indicated from the stamp. I guess he just assumes it's correct and he forgot about Link or something, so he doesn't question it (some banker, right?). Technically, as far as the timeline is concerned, those are rupees in the bank aren't Link's, because Link never collected them in this "new" timeline. So the rupees Link gets because of the stamp aren't his, but someone else's. The banker doesn't know this, because that's just what his stamp said to give Link.

So essentially, you're robbing the bank every time you withdraw after playing the Song of Time. Haha shortly after Termina is saved from the Moon, the banker is going to figure out something's off, and he's going to have one mad customer!

It should happen, because the banker alludes to the fact that a lot of people are withdrawing rupees. That'd be funny if he runs out of cash and you see someone arguing with him over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom