• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Was Better Than Skyward Sword

So here is the thing. I went back to play Skyward Sword "again" today and I just couldn't get into it. I've been playing A Link to the Past again lately and I'm more entertained by it then Skyward Sword. While playing Skyward Sword though, I just couldn't help but to think about playing Twilight Princess. Maybe it was redoing the tedious introduction at the beginning of the game that caused me to be so turned off by it. It takes an hour or longer just to leave skyloft and once you do... even M O R E introductory non sense is thrown in my face. I really liked Ocarina of Time because within 10 minutes, you're already in the first dungeon, same with ALttP. It is somethign that I like. Instead of going through boring tutorials, I can go through a dangerous dungeon that also plays the role of a tutorial itself. Skyward Sword just took too long to get into before it becamse "exciting". Don't get me wrong, it is amazing game, but for the Wii, I think I would be better off dusting off Twilight Princess and playing on the Gamecube. Going back to playing a Zelda game without motion controls and the ability to sprint does suck though. I hate repeatedly pressing A and I think Link would have one heck of sore back right now, almost as sore as my thumb is. To end this Skyward Sword is an incredible game and an EXPERIENCE any gamer has to be part of themselves, but in the end. If you moved the control lay out to Twilight Princess and the stratagy needed to attack basic enemies. Twilight Princess would by far surpass Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, ALttp, and even the original. btw I mentioned the Gamecube version of TP because playing zelda on a wiimote without motion controls is just an embarrassment to the franchise. Yeah.. lets just waggle the wii mote around and attack instead of doing a real swing. ohwell... enoughrantforoneday.

to sum it all up. I love both games, but I just had more fun playing Twilight Princess and I feel that it has better replay value. I love to explore which is the point of Zelda and Skyward Sword had 4 areas. Maybe they had depth, but so did Twilight Princess. We just can't have a REAL Zelda game without Hyrule Feild and all of the classic landmarks. =/

Both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess suffered from incredibly long and drawn-out introductions. Personally, however, Skyward Sword's was superior since the majority of the inhabitants of Skyloft actually had some even if minimal backstory and the island felt a unified whole with everyone in the self-contained community being well acquainted with the other. Nevertheless, if I were to have things my way, I'd prefer what you detailed-a snap 10 minute introduction that thrusts the player right into the action.

Jesse said:
If you moved the control lay out to Twilight Princess and the stratagy needed to attack basic enemies. Twilight Princess would by far surpass Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, ALttp, and even the original.

Couldn't you hypothetically argue that about any installment? What if Ocarina of Time were remade with Wii Motion Plus support, would it instantly surpass the other games? Your argument is highly subjective.

Jesse said:
btw I mentioned the Gamecube version of TP because playing zelda on a wiimote without motion controls is just an embarrassment to the franchise. Yeah.. lets just waggle the wii mote around and attack instead of doing a real swing. ohwell... enoughrantforoneday.

It's hard to believe how far we've come since the release of the original Wii console in 2006. For its time, however, you have to realize that Twilight Princess's motion controls were a revolution. Same argument goes for other aspects of videogames like graphics. I'm not going to compare the resolutions of the original N64 Ocarina of Time to a game like Mass Effect 3, that would be preposterous. Also, for a launch title port, Twilight Princess may well have been Nintendo's finest hour in doling out a new console.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
TP was in no way better than SS. The dungeon design was vastly inferior, the story was influent and somewhat anti-climactic, the villain duo was ruined by Zant's terrible conclusion, the bosses were pretty lackluster, the enemies were lame, and the overworld wad boring, uninteresting, and poorly-designed. SS had none of these problems. It has its flaws, but it's superior to TP in literally every way. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

ChuyMasta

Starved Stripper Knight
The only thing I miss from TP on SS is.... swinging the sword while walking. I can't understand why that was taken away.

I do feel like the art Style in TP was indeed limited by the hardware. Geometry felt toned down. The world was more organic....but it still looked gamey because of huge flat polygons. Texture quality really made the game look ugly. Way too compressed. Textures were washed out in order for them to "fit" in the GC disc.

I would love another game with a similar style to TP. No limitations this time around. It'll look godly!

MW7

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that Twilight Princess is better than Skyward Sword based on the train of thought from your first 11 sentences. You complain about how long Skyward Sword took to get going and how introductory nonsense is thrown in your face, and then you come up with I feel like playing Twilight Princess again. I completely agree with the criticisms of Skyward Sword's introduction, but the only game that is even worse in this respect is Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword introduces brand new mechanics like the stamina bar, 1:1 swordplay, and flying and provides a tutorial in an inefficient roundabout way. However stuff that some people might need explained is explained. Twilight Princess has you do absolutely meaningless stuff like wrangling goats, catching two fish, and using bird calls to pick up far away objects. With the exception of having to catch one fish later in the game I'm pretty sure nothing you do in Twilight Princess' introduction is relevant for the rest of the game. Actually now that I think about it you do learn about using the sword and slingshot, but nothing's different (if you're playing on the Gamecube) from how these items were in Ocarina of Time. So my opinion is that Twilight Princess' introduction is a complete and utter waste of time. Skyward Sword's is a waste of time as well for people that don't need tutorials, but at least it doesn't waste everyone's time like Twilight Princess does.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Skyward Sword is definitely better than Twilight Princess, but lately I've felt like playing it more than SS.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I had the opposite problem, actually. I played Skyward Sword first and loved everything about it, then eagerly started Twilight Princess, only to feel constantly lost, confused, and frustrated off and on (my problem, I'm sure, since I'm not an expert gamer by any standard). I also find it very hard to see anything (also my problem, since I don't like dark muddy colors). Sometimes the visibility is so bad I get eye strain. I'm not giving up on it because there are things I really like about Twilight Princess, but I'm definitely not a fan of the drab colors or the empty world which is often connected by tunnels I have to trudge through, and I'm constantly running out of lantern oil while inside them so that I end up dying and unable to complete the tunnel. Wolf Link for me is a real chore to get through, since at the beginning of the game Wolf Link only exists in "twilight," and again I have a hard time seeing the colors. The game often reminds me of that over-computerized movie MirrorMask, a.k.a. Labyrinth ripoff with dark hard-to-see visuals. As for the introduction, I really loved Skyward Sword's intro. I felt like I was watching an interactive movie. It really rang true for me and I loved that Zelda was featured so prominently in it and given an actual personality. All of that being said, what I like better about Twilight Princess is Midna. She's definitely a better character than Fi.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
TP was in no way better than SS. The dungeon design was vastly inferior, the story was influent and somewhat anti-climactic, the villain duo was ruined by Zant's terrible conclusion, the bosses were pretty lackluster, the enemies were lame, and the overworld wad boring, uninteresting, and poorly-designed. SS had none of these problems. It has its flaws, but it's superior to TP in literally every way. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

I would disagree with you. The dungeons in TP were bigger, there were more of them and there was more variety. Their design visually was better in TP, with the exception of Ancient cistern and the fire sanctuary, SS's dungeons were a bit uninteresting to look at. Puzzle wise SS and TP were very similar in difficulty with the exception of the Sky keep, which you may think is good but I personally hated it. TP's story was the most complex and interesting of the whole series, I felt it ended rather well, Zants being blown up like a balloon was hardly a terrible conclusion, and Ganondorf's presence as a villain provided an intimidating final foe. In TP the enemies were far more varied and interesting than SS's. Take one look at the SS bokoblin, which was overused so much and looked absolutely ridiculous, how can you even say that TP's enemies were lame and defend SS's enemies? The overworld was a wide open space that looked good and was relaxing to travel through. The sky was terribly boring and the disconnected areas below felt unnatural and more like game worlds than actual places.

Your points seem to be criticising aspects of TP which SS did worse. SS's bosses may have been more fun, but TP's were far from lackluster.

in all honesty, your words don't really make too much sense.
it just seems like a bunch of rambling, and very much false ideals.
however, it is your opinion, and I'm not going to go around shooting that down.
I actually like Twilight Princess a lot more then Skyward Sword too.
yet, I wouldn't say it was extremely better then it. if anything they're at the same level.
as for it being better then most of the other games, that is definitely not true.
TP and SS both had their points where they were better then one another.
one did not win off of another though.

yet, I will admit, the second playthrough of SS did tend to bore me.
only a few parts were fun playing over.
TP on the other hand, I could play over and over.

ah... the power of opinions. lol

in all honesty, your words don't really make too much sense.
it just seems like a bunch of rambling, and very much false ideals.
however, it is your opinion, and I'm not going to go around shooting that down.
I actually like Twilight Princess a lot more then Skyward Sword too.
yet, I wouldn't say it was extremely better then it. if anything they're at the same level.
as for it being better then most of the other games, that is definitely not true.
TP and SS both had their points where they were better then one another.
one did not win off of another though.

yet, I will admit, the second playthrough of SS did tend to bore me.
only a few parts were fun playing over.
TP on the other hand, I could play over and over.

i was rambling... maybe thats why it sounded jumbled. I didn't take the time to properly word everything. Just typed as I was thinking.

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that Twilight Princess is better than Skyward Sword based on the train of thought from your first 11 sentences. You complain about how long Skyward Sword took to get going and how introductory nonsense is thrown in your face, and then you come up with I feel like playing Twilight Princess again. I completely agree with the criticisms of Skyward Sword's introduction, but the only game that is even worse in this respect is Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword introduces brand new mechanics like the stamina bar, 1:1 swordplay, and flying and provides a tutorial in an inefficient roundabout way. However stuff that some people might need explained is explained. Twilight Princess has you do absolutely meaningless stuff like wrangling goats, catching two fish, and using bird calls to pick up far away objects. With the exception of having to catch one fish later in the game I'm pretty sure nothing you do in Twilight Princess' introduction is relevant for the rest of the game. Actually now that I think about it you do learn about using the sword and slingshot, but nothing's different (if you're playing on the Gamecube) from how these items were in Ocarina of Time. So my opinion is that Twilight Princess' introduction is a complete and utter waste of time. Skyward Sword's is a waste of time as well for people that don't need tutorials, but at least it doesn't waste everyone's time like Twilight Princess does.

Both games have tedious introductions, but Twilight Princess's introduction is entertaining unlike skyward sword.

Last edited:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
The only thing I miss from TP on SS is.... swinging the sword while walking. I can't understand why that was taken away.

I do feel like the art Style in TP was indeed limited by the hardware. Geometry felt toned down. The world was more organic....but it still looked gamey because of huge flat polygons. Texture quality really made the game look ugly. Way too compressed. Textures were washed out in order for them to "fit" in the GC disc.

I would love another game with a similar style to TP. No limitations this time around. It'll look godly!

I say TP style artwork with SS or better motion controls.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I would disagree with you. The dungeons in TP were bigger, there were more of them and there was more variety. Their design visually was better in TP, with the exception of Ancient cistern and the fire sanctuary, SS's dungeons were a bit uninteresting to look at. Puzzle wise SS and TP were very similar in difficulty with the exception of the Sky keep, which you may think is good but I personally hated it. TP's story was the most complex and interesting of the whole series, I felt it ended rather well, Zants being blown up like a balloon was hardly a terrible conclusion, and Ganondorf's presence as a villain provided an intimidating final foe. In TP the enemies were far more varied and interesting than SS's. Take one look at the SS bokoblin, which was overused so much and looked absolutely ridiculous, how can you even say that TP's enemies were lame and defend SS's enemies? The overworld was a wide open space that looked good and was relaxing to travel through. The sky was terribly boring and the disconnected areas below felt unnatural and more like game worlds than actual places.

Your points seem to be criticising aspects of TP which SS did worse. SS's bosses may have been more fun, but TP's were far from lackluster.

TP's dungeons had no variety whatsoever. They were exactly what one would expect out of a Zelda dungeon, and the puzzles were very predictable. TP is also home to two of the worst dungeons in series history: the Temple of Time and City in the Sky. Beyond horrendous and patheticallly designed. The enemies in SS were also way more intelligent than in any previous games and could actually defend themselves. They also offered some variety, whereas all of TP's enemies are pretty much the same. Looks also have nothing to do with an enemy's quality. That's one of the most pitiful arguments I've ever seen. The overworld of SS also had depth and atmosphere, something TP's lacked completely. Zant's concl7sion was terrible because his character was completely ruined. He was a total badass at first, but wound up being a lunatic that posed no threat. He was also just a tool of Ganondorf's in the end. Speaking of Ganny, he barely had a prescence in the game, appearing for a moment, falling off the radar, then suddenly coming back again. That's terrible storytelling. The story is also very skimpy compared to SS's. SS has the most in-depth and emotional story in franchise history. It expands more on the details on the story 10x more than ever before, and manages to provide nearly every major character with exceptional character development, something no previous title even attempted. SS executed every last detail better than TP did by leaps and bounds. I respect people's opinions, but this is something that is objectively inarguable.

Both games have tedious introductions, but Twilight Princess's introduction is entertaining unlike skyward sword.

Not really. TP's intro had us running around doing a whole lot of nothing important. SS actually took the time to break the fourth wall and gave us some insight on the culture of Skyloft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicole

luke is my wife
Heyyy guys just poppin' in to restore order. Remember to back up opinions with facts. An opinion is just that - subjective. No bashing of opinions on either end and let's keep this civil. :)

Carry on!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
TP is also home to two of the worst dungeons in series history: the Temple of Time and City in the Sky. Beyond horrendous and patheticallly designed.

You state this as fact yet you support your opinion with no evidence here. I thought that the temple of time was rather enjoyable, I would not say it was poorly designed.

The enemies in SS were also way more intelligent than in any previous games and could actually defend themselves. They also offered some variety, whereas all of TP's enemies are pretty much the same. Looks also have nothing to do with an enemy's quality.

Almost all of the enemies in SS were Bokoblins offering little variety (apart from the Lanayru exclusive Technoblin) and could be defeated by simply swinging the Wii mote left and right. Action was much slower paced and less exciting in SS as opposed to TP and definitely the WW. TP's enemies were much more varied and many required different methods of killing, as opposed to the majority of SS's enemies which are fought by hitting in the right direction. I would also say that the way an enemy looks may have no impact on how it is fought, but something visually appealing or interesting will be liked more than something that is not.

The overworld of SS also had depth and atmosphere, something TP's lacked completely.

This is madness. I can not believe I'm hearing this. TP's overworld was the most atmospheric of all the Zelda games, with great views of distant places on the horizon. In TP you really got a feel for an area like it could be a real place. In SS the overworld looked much more like a game world than a real place littered with out of place puzzles, not like a real place you could enjoy. And as for there being little to do in TP's overworld, that's what dungeons are for my friend. Overworld is for relaxation, a way to travel, to take in the views and to immerse yourself in the vast world of Hyrule.

The story is also very skimpy compared to SS's. SS has the most in-depth and emotional story in franchise history. It expands more on the details on the story 10x more than ever before, and manages to provide nearly every major character with exceptional character development, something no previous title even attempted.

There are 4 very well developed characters in SS: Zelda, Impa, Groose and Ghirahim. But TP has many more likeable characters which are encountered on your journey and returning to them later on is a pleasure. I like this variety of different characters. I think it is what made OOT so good. TP's story is much more like a thriller, it is more intriguing and I feel that as you progress there is a greater desire to see it through to its conclusion, there is a powerful evil that needs to be defeated, there is a sense of danger. SS is an adventure to rescue a princess, it's very simple. I will say that there are many emotional moments in the story of SS and when the story gets good it gets GOOD, but there just seemed to be less of it than in TP. Ghirahim was not threatening in the least, he could never have defeated link, he made excuses to leave when he knew he was beaten. Zant was mysterious and very powerful and link was no match for him at the beginning. We knew this was an enemy that was to be feared.

SS executed every last detail better than TP did by leaps and bounds.

This is not something that can be quantified. There was no difference in quality that can be described as being leaps and bounds better. Some things were improved on a bit, but the way zelda was when TP came out was pretty perfect, only a few minor things were wrong. SS corrected some, like with character development, but actually lost some of the great things too.

I respect people's opinions, but this is something that is objectively inarguable.

Oh, I'm afraid that this is something that is very arguable indeed. It's all to do with opinions.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
This is madness. I can not believe I'm hearing this. TP's overworld was the most atmospheric of all the Zelda games, with great views of distant places on the horizon. In TP you really got a feel for an area like it could be a real place. In SS the overworld looked much more like a game world than a real place littered with out of place puzzles, not like a real place you could enjoy. And as for there being little to do in TP's overworld, that's what dungeons are for my friend. Overworld is for relaxation, a way to travel, to take in the views and to immerse yourself in the vast world of Hyrule.

I especially liked how after you cleat the Twilight out of 1 or 2 provinces the view of the Twilit lands from the light world is really good, especially in the daytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom