• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Wii U: What Do You WANT and Not WANT in Zelda Wii U

I was wondering what everyone thought about the new Zelda game for the Wii U. What do you want in it? The story to be set before Skyward Sword? Do you want the kind of graphics shown at E3 2011?

Also what do you not want? The story to be set before Skyward Sword lol? The Master Sword?

Thanks!

*sigh* Has this thread idea not been beaten to death like a dog. :bleh:

I'm alright with Zelda Wii U taking place anywhere on the timeline, however, it should be neither a direct sequel not prequel to Skyward Sword. That story is complete.

I would also like to see the Zelda Wii U Tech Demo graphics return. Here is my reply from another recent thread:

A_LINK_IN_TIME said:
I honestly would like for the Tech Demo graphics to become those featured in the final Zelda Wii U product and avoid the controversy that occurred with the radical graphic alteration between Spaceworld 2001 and the release of The Wind Waker in 2003 with regards to the Gamecube.

Personally, this updated graphic style truly showcases the power of the new hardware. Don't get me wrong, Skyward Sword had a very respectable art style, however, Nintendo was compelled to use something along those lines due to the Wii hardware's lacking GPU. Graphics aside, what interests me the most is the lighting from the tech demo from last year's E3. Never before in a Zelda game have I seen such intricate effects with the shadows. The ability to change the time of day from day to night and vice versa only increases the appeal of that aspect of the tech demo. My mouth is just frothing at the future I would like to see for the franchise on consoles.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I just hope it doesn't look like the graphics in that E3 demo. I want something more along the lines of The Wind Waker or, better yet, Ocarina of Time's graphical style.

Enough with the "realism" and the attempts to appeal to the Western market. Give me something creative and beautiful, with lots of color and variation. Skyward Sword was a step in the right direction--I hope they don't regress into the failed experiment that was TP's visual style.

I also hope for an open-ended, non-linear Zelda. If it's linear, I'd at least like to see lots of sidequests and things to do in the same vein as Okami. I'm getting a little tired of being led by the nose from location to location. I want to feel a sense of discovery again.

Its been a while since a game like majora's mask, i wouldnt mind a new zelda game with odd mechanics like MM had.

I'd like the option to use a classical style of controller. It's not that the SS controls are bad; they're a huge improvement on TP. It's just that sometimes you feel like playing a game without having to wave your arms around.

I

Ironknuckle

I would like to see a return of the Bombers notebook and the masks

I would love to have the masks back! The game should take place after majora's mask or at the end of the time line. I would love to have new races to turn into using the masks!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Enough with the "realism" and the attempts to appeal to the Western market. Give me something creative and beautiful, with lots of color and variation. Skyward Sword was a step in the right direction--I hope they don't regress into the failed experiment that was TP's visual style.

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether the graphics are bright and vibrant or dark and gritty. It matters if the art style fits the tone of the game. Saying that realistic visuals don't "fit" in the Zelda series is really quite a load of mess if you ask me. TP's art style fit the tone that the game was after, and that's what matters. And it's all I care about. Just give me a good game. Complaining about graphics is just stupid and whiny. Not trying to insult you, Hanyou. Just pointing out that it's true that graphics don't matter -- no matter what they look like. (Unless they're rushed and poorly put together.)

That said, I actually would like to see -- and am basically predicting -- a TP/OoT graphical mixture for Zelda Wii U. It'd provide nice, refined textures while providing vibrant color and life to the world. It'd be a lot like Sonic Generations and the Bioshock in that sense, each of which look fantastic. It'd strike a really nice balance for an art style for Zelda, much like SS did.

I also hope for an open-ended, non-linear Zelda. If it's linear, I'd at least like to see lots of sidequests and things to do in the same vein as Okami. I'm getting a little tired of being led by the nose from location to location. I want to feel a sense of discovery again.

Linearity is yet another concern that I don't really care about, but I wouldn't mind a little open exploration being brought back in. This is why I think Zelda Wii U should follow a style similar to that of Link's Awakening. The story and dungeons are linear to the core. You have to do everything in order. But the overworld is very open and begging to be explored. It doesn't (completely) limit access to areas you're not necessarily supposed to go to yet. Yes, you can't go to dungeons out of order, but you can find some of the side-content at your own pace. That's what Zelda should be like. Linear dungeons so that the story can develop, but an open world so that you can explore while going from place to place. In truth, I'd prefer the second half of the game to have some open dungeon choice, but have one that must be done last via some story element, followed by the buildup to the final dungeon, but what's most important is that Zelda maintains a balance between linear and open. Neither formula is better than the other, as they both lack traits that immensely benefit the series. Doing one or the other is pointless and only prevents Zelda from being everything that it should be. Basically, like you said, be similar to Okami.

Last edited:
srry bout that. I've only been on here for a little while. I didn't realize... :(

I would like to have the style graphics of the Wii U demo at E3. It looked awesome!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I want to see visuals on par with the E3 tech demo. I do not want a prequel to SS. I don't particularly mind which timeline it goes on although I would like to see something on the child timeline. I want Ganondorf to be the villain and the master sword to be Link's weapon. I want it to be adult link. And of course I want a great and deep story with an outstanding soundtrack.

*sigh* Has this thread idea not been beaten to death like a dog. :bleh:

This thread's gonna keep happening until Zelda Wii U appears.

First off, I don't want another prequel, I want the next era of Zelda in one of the timelines.

Second, I don't really mind linearity in a Zelda game, however, I do like open ended. After playing Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm thinking a big world you can take time to journey during breaks in the game. That said, I wouldn't mind having to need a specific item to go to a certain place, but I'd like at least half of the sidequests and most of the locations available without the items you get later though I think entering dungeons should be in linearity.

Third, I do not really care about realism because this is not a game that needs it, it needs something beautiful and colorful, not dull on muted.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I think it would be very cool to see the graphics from the Tech Demo in a future Zelda game. I myself do not consider graphics terribly important, but I would like to see a Zelda game with that style. Usually when I criticize games that are realistic, it is because that is all the game is focusing on. Take the Call of Duty franchise... they don't change the gameplay (which is fine, the games are fun to play every now and then) and they only way they can implement new ideas is by updating the graphics. It makes me feel as if I'm just playing the same game and all the ones before it were just betas to the latest one.

With all that being said. If Zelda was realistic that wouldn't destroy the series. It can still have a unique style while looking bad ***. What I love about Zelda is that there isn't just one single art style that it uses. It's capable of doing pretty much any style it wants to and yet it still feels like a Zelda game and they style fits said game perfectly.

As for the what I want in the Wii U Zelda...I wouldn't mind seeing how the tablet could be implemented. I mean I would love to have Skyward Sword's controls again, but I would also love if it went to button mashing again.The tablet could serve very easily as the inventory screen and map allowing the player to keep moving with out having to pause so often like in the remake of Ocarina of Time.

To linearity...I want Zelda games to have an epic storyline, which they do, but I mean epic epic. I want the story line to be complex and intricate. I don't want to be able to say oh there's Zelda (I'm talking to you Tetra). I want the story to surprise me and so to do that I want a new Villain. Ganon is great, but he needs to let more guys have their shot at Hyrule.

I also think that its time for Zelda to incorporate Voice Acting. Now I personally always name Link Link so I wouldn't care if they took away the ability to name him. I don't think he should talk, but even if he does I honestly don't think it'll be bad. Look at Metroid Other M. Samus had never talked till then and by giving her a voice, they gave her emotion and feeling, something that had been lacking from her character in the games. Now Link doesn't necessarily need to talk, because you can see his face due to it not being covered by a suit the entire time. His emotions can still be easily read. I don't want to have to see the characters move there lips but no words come out.

Lastly, and this is just a maybe, I wouldn't mind having a Zelda game starring Zelda. Now no one mention the CDi games, because I don't think a single one of actually consider them as real Zelda games. Having a game starring Zelda would open up completely new gameplay mechanics that could be more focused on magic. Maybe the magic bar could be useful again. I personally think it would interesting, at least as a side game and possibly a main game. But I don't want the story to be Zelda is saving Link...that would just be dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom