• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Don't See the Big Deal About Ocarina of Time.

E

Excel

Not sure how it got so popular. Yes, Link had to travel through time, but it's not very original. The way it was done was something new, but it's not really anything to go crazy over, even back then. The sages did help Link defeat Ganondorf in the end and the storyline was somewhat expansive, but I really don't see why it's so amazing to everyone. In fact, I didn't even like the game; but it wasn't a bad game. And before you go off on me, it's an opinion, not a fact that needs to be proven wrong. It was really easy for me, and I didn't see much challenge at all. Even the water temple. The only frustrating part about it was the mass amount of puzzles and moving back and forth. And it didn't bother me much. And whoever says that using the Master Sword is useless to Dark Link. . . I barely had any trouble with him using the master sword. Maybe I'm just very observant and the puzzles are easy to me. Morpha, in fact, was no problem at all. In Boss-Rush mode (On the 3DS) I once beat Morpha without taking damage. No, I didn't just stay in the corner. In fact, that sometimes fails. I couldn't stay on the four platforms, but I was moving non-stop. IDK. =\

I think the main problem is that well yer from a different generation of gaming, in 1998 OoT was a big thing cause it was well a top game of its time and the first 3D zelda (still is a fun game mind you) is it the best? no but its still pretty awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1998 when I got the game for christmas I was 14 and I couldn't stop playing until I 100% it. It was amazing for the time, no other game did 3D combat that well, it was so polished and immersive. Yea its kind of a 3D aLttP, but it is awesome.

I was 9 when it came out on the 64. What made me fall in love with it, was the fact Zelda could ride a horse :D but that wasn't the main part, that jus made me want play it even more. I had always been a Zelda fan since I was about 4. And till this day I still love playing OoT. (and not jus for the horse this time ;) )

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Why is Ocarina of Time considered such a great game you ask? Well for one it was the first Zelda game to make the jump from 2D to 3D and it did so perfectly. It managed to make Zelda feel new while still feeling like the old games. It introduced a great battle system with the Z-targeting. It featured a massive world (for the time) to explore with little secrets everywhere. Ocarina of Time set the stage for games that were to follow.

I honestly don't know how you do not like Ocarina of Time....it is such a fun game to play. I will keep my N64 forever just to play it and Majora's Mask. You my friend have no taste in video games if you can't appreciate a classic such as Ocarina of Time.

well to each his own i suppose personally ocarina of time is my favorite video game of all time and the reason for that is that there is just so much to do in the game. think about it its filled with content. good story, memorable characters, good music, great gameplay, controls that worked back then and still work now, tons of sidequests. so in short i think thats why ocarina of time is so popular.

In it's time, it was the best game ever, because it was the first 3D game to be made. All of a sudden, there was more of a world to explore, and the controls were different than anything. The story line was in-depth and it had real substance to it. Not to mention you time travel, and you see all these new awesome worlds and dungeons. It was better than anything of it's time, and that alone is enough for most people to still think it's the best. Nostalgia, you know? I personally don't think any of the games are any better, and OoT is a big deal for me. It's not only my childhood, but it's such a classic now that there's nothing about that game that I don't like, even if I didn't like it when it first came out...Even the water temple is (kind of) loved XD

Dan

I think it's the atmosphere of the game that does it so well. Perhaps it just didn't move you so well. It really hits you hard seeing Hyrule destroyed, the ambient sounds etc. Seeing the fun loving land turn into nothing but destruction and sadness. It's so different to other games and it feels so rewarding everytime you hear the music while opening a chest. To answer your question I think it just does something other games just don't do.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
You my friend have no taste in video games if you can't appreciate a classic such as Ocarina of Time.
I do appreciate it for the reasons you gave, but too many people are "OoT is the only Zelda worth playing, all other Zeldas are an embarrassment to the series, etc" Those people need to lighten up and realize that yes, OoT is awesome, but so are a lot of the other Zeldas. They're not true Zelda fans if they worship one game and diss the rest...

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was a marvel in technology, design, and story when it was originally released for the Nintendo 64 in 1998.

Super Mario 64 was the first effective transition into the 3D plane. Ocarina of Time took all those advancements and rolled them up into something more. The world was vibrant, characters were dynamic and talkative, and dungeon design broke from the norm of that day and age. The importance of Z-Targeting cannot be underestimated. Lock on has become an integral part of the Action-Adventure and Shooter genres. When we compare it to some game stories today, Ocarina of Time's may not seem like something special but it was a stronger push for a larger narrative than most games during that period exerted. It was a coherent whole that rolled the expectations for a videogame into one complete package and locked that form of entertainment away from the solemn Great Deku Tree sending Navi on her mission to the epic final encounter with Ganon amid the castle ruins. This would lay the groundwork for the poetic, controversial, and highly sentimental Majora's Mask less than two years later.

Great game for its time and still a solid time waster even now. It'll always hold a place in my heart, but it doesn't make the top 10 list. Not anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom