• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Voice Acting In Zelda Wii U

I wouldn't mind voice acting either but it would need to be done right and that is rarely a doable thing with voice acting. Though i think it'll happen at some point. Link is starting to speak already, we see him clearly conversing with characters in SS, we have options to reply with in SS too like after the Lanayru mining facility with "Am i late?" "protect Zelda", so Nintendo are becoming okay with the idea of putting words in Link's mouth it seems. And on a lesser note IF (no matter what the historia says) the Hero's Shade IS a version of Link, then he is talking there too... next step is for us to actually hear him. think Nintendo will do it, i also think that they'll really shake up the franchise sometime soon too with a massive/risky move, since the series can do no wrong by doing so.

I personally don't feel the need for voice acting. I love it the way they have it with grunts/giggles/gibberish and text boxes, but a large criticism that Skyward Sword received was that it didn't have voice acting. If they don't put it into Zelda Wii U, it's gonna get even more criticism for that and it will come down harder than on Skyward Sword.

i wouldn't mind fictional language. in midna's and fi's case, it went pretty well! no gibberish like in okami though... sometimes that got annoying. o____o

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Zelda's been given dialogue in the games before (in the form of text), while Link has never had any dialouge. If they were going to add voice acting to the Zelda franchise, Zelda would still be given dialogue (and voice acting), though Link may or may not be given a voice actor. That's probably why.

Yeah, but there's just going to be times where Zelda and other characters are going to have to actually say the name you give Link. For example, from Ocarina of Time:

Zelda: "Link.... strange... it sounds somehow... familiar."

This is primarily why voice acting and the ability to name Link conflict. What if someone named Link Majora? Dude? Bob? Every voice actor that says Link's name would have to say a bunch of different vowel and consonant sounds in different tones, and then a whole system would have to be in place to organize those sounds into the name you gave him, and even then it'll probably sound awful.

Voice acting, even voice acting where everyone speaks except Link, wouldn't work unless they also removed the ability to name your character. While voicing acting would be cool IMO, I say it's not worth removing the current naming system. Like I said early, naming Link goes a long way to making people "link" to Link.

CCG <3 Zelda

CrazyControllerGuy
I wouldn't mind voice acting either but it would need to be done right and that is rarely a doable thing with voice acting. Though i think it'll happen at some point. Link is starting to speak already, we see him clearly conversing with characters in SS, we have options to reply with in SS too like after the Lanayru mining facility with "Am i late?" "protect Zelda", so Nintendo are becoming okay with the idea of putting words in Link's mouth it seems. And on a lesser note IF (no matter what the historia says) the Hero's Shade IS a version of Link, then he is talking there too... next step is for us to actually hear him. think Nintendo will do it, i also think that they'll really shake up the franchise sometime soon too with a massive/risky move, since the series can do no wrong by doing so.

I think you're the first person to post here that isn't against Link speaking!

Here is how you deal with this yes/no situation. Add a setting for VOICE. Like it, keep it. No? Turn it off. Simple.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yeah, but there's just going to be times where Zelda and other characters are going to have to actually say the name you give Link.

Not true. Star Ocean Till the...no, the entire Star Ocean series counters this. For example, in SO3, you can name Fayt Leingod whatever you want. I named him Link, because Link is my all time fav character. I also named him "Fayt4D", to signify on the save/load screen which is my 4D file, which is my Universe file, which is my UniLv1 file [for BT purposes] and so on. In the game dialog, Fayt's name (meaning, whatever you enter) is highlighted IIRC in a light blue color, but the voice acting provides for the name "Fayt [pronounced exactly like Fate, which is his Japanese name anyway lol]". Same goes for Cliff, Maria, and so on. Same goes for Star Ocean 4, where I named Edge SOMETHING [can't remember, I eventually reverted it back to Edge because it wasn't as cool as in SO3]. VAing doesn't work that way anyway lol.

Here is how you deal with this yes/no situation. Add a setting for VOICE. Like it, keep it. No? Turn it off. Simple.

No, voice acting in Zelda would NEVER work. It's a DIFFERENT thing in the series FORMULA that has been around for YEARS. Besides, turning the voices off would be too much effort. VAing in Zelda is a no no, YO.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd like a Zelda with voice acting. It would be just weird to me after all these years of Zelda just being grunts and giggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom