• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sonic the Hedgehog

I was surprised that I couldn't find a thread on this. I'm sure most of you are familiar with Sonic the Hedgehog. He's one of gaming's most popular figures, and he's had several games over the past few years. What do you think of all of them? Personally, I thought the Sonic games were much better in 2D. Some of the 3D games are okay, such as Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, and Sonic Unleashed, but they're nowhere near as good as the 2D titles.

I like almost all the Sonic games.
The 2-D,games were fun,and the first two Sonic Adventure games were pretty cool,but then Sega added gimmicks to the newer games which has slowly made the series go downhill.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Sonic is my favorite game character right underneath Link, and Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) was the first game I ever played in my life. Definitely a landmark moment.

It's a sad thing that he's floundering so poorly in the current gen market. He has the potential to have great games, but Sonic Team is just plain horrible at their job.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
you know what they need to do? they need to go back to their side scrolling adventures. think of it like Kirby style. when they made Kirby for the N64 they didnt make it a 3D world roaming adventure. they made 3D graphics but kept the 2D gameplay and i think that this is what sonic should do with their console games. the 2D side scrolling games were awesome and thats what made the sonic games so good. there were plenty of obstacles and things like that and they should have just kept it that way. not to say that sonic adventure and sonic adventure 2 werent good (because i thought they were) but after those 2 games the 3D games started becoming TERRIBLE. also, whenever they make handheld games now they make RPGs and handheld versions of the console games (which never turn out that well) so i think they just need to stick with their sidescrolling formula because it was working just fine.

Amelie

Air Dancer
I liked the 2D sonic game I played on the Xbox 360 arcade. I dont remember what it was called but it reminded me of Super Mario Bros a little ^^

Other then that game I have never really played any others. I guess I kind of avoid it because lots of people say Sonic is not very good anymore or most people I meet dont like the games at all.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
2D Sonic = Great fun and some of the best games from the era.

3D Sonic = Some of the worst 3D platformers of all time.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
here are the sonic games you should play that are good and are definitely worth playing:

Sonic the Hedgehog (sega)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (sega)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (sega)
Sonic and Knuckles (sega)
Sonic Adventure (dreamcast/gamecube)
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (dreamcast/gamecube)

other than those i have never played a really good Sonic game. Sonic the Hedgehog for 360 was ok but the load times for the game were ridiculously long. it was cool being silver and getting to like stop bullets and shoot them back at enemies but the game felt very rushed and it didnt seem like they put much time into it.

here are the sonic games you should play that are good and are definitely worth playing:

Sonic the Hedgehog (sega)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (sega)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (sega)
Sonic and Knuckles (sega)
Sonic Adventure (dreamcast/gamecube)
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (dreamcast/gamecube)

other than those i have never played a really good Sonic game. Sonic the Hedgehog for 360 was ok but the load times for the game were ridiculously long. it was cool being silver and getting to like stop bullets and shoot them back at enemies but the game felt very rushed and it didnt seem like they put much time into it.

Yes, my favorite 3D title would have to be Sonic Adventure 2 while my favorite 2D title would have to be Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I have to disagree with you about Sonic 06. I really think that has been the worst Sonic game in the entire history of the Sonic franchise.

Another thing that annoys me about the 3D games: All the worthless characters. I didn't mind the characters they introduced in SA2 at all (Shadow, Rouge), but Big, Omega, Blaze, they all seem like worthless characters that aren't necessary. (Not the Chaotix though. They're the only reason Sonic Heroes was worth playing. :D)

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
My brother had a Sega once and Sonic was an awesome character (I don´t remember which game I tried or what console but I know it was a 2D game). I wouldn´t mind trying out a 3D game with Sonic as a main character, but like some folks mentioned, even without ever tried a 3D Sonic I suspect it´s not as good as the 2D´s. Not everything is perfecction in 3D is my opinion.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Sonic was decent, back in the days of the 2-D games on sega platforms...
Nowadays, I don't even like the 2-D titles...
My favorite one is Sonic and Knuckles, because you know, knuckles rocks:D

I've been a big fan of Sonic for a long time, although as of late I haven't played many of the games and have been into other series.

I only own a collection of Sonic games on the PC. I think it's Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. Plus some kind of weird combination of the two.

Great games, though, seriously. The 3D incarnations are very different games, but I still find them very fun.

mewtwolord

Hello World
For me sonic really died past sonic after sonic adventure 2(Dresmcast version)and now werehog WTF where the devil did a werehog come from WTF is a wearhog really sonic's going to the point where there is gonna be a magic butt.So I heard a guy from Sega got fired because he didn't kill sonic.and before he left he secretly met with some certain peeps from sega telling him they are gonna kill the sonic series :D. D: I missed his funeral.

This is a subject which I feel more strongly about than any other subject in gaming to be honest.

Back in the day, my sister had a Nintendo NES, which was technically "hers". My first system, recieved at the age of 4, was the Sega Genesis. So from a very young age, as much as I like the Mario series, I have always been a much bigger fan of Sonic.

On topic, the "classics" are better. Not necessarily just the fact that the 2D games are better than the 3D ones. Some of the crap that Sega has came out with over the past few years has pretty much made me sick of the Sonic series. I never, ever look forward to a new Sonic title being released, but rather go to look how degrating the series has gotten once I do hear about it. Sonic Rush was okay, but it wasn't as fun as the classics. Those games include Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and any of those that you locked on with S&K. Oh, and Sonic Spinball, but it was more side-gamish. Sonic 3D Blast was even a decent game. Sonic Adventure, whether it was part 1 or 2, or any variation in between, did not and will never match up to the magic or the caliber of greatness that was the classics I mentioned. They may have been good games to some, heck even great games to even less, but to me they will always be the first big mistake in Sega's attempt at recreating what was once awesome.

I find myself, almost on a weekly basis, telling someone somewhere how the Sonic series was so much better before. I own some of the best Gamecube games there are, including Wind Waker, Resident Evil (remake), Resident Evil 0, SSBM, etc., but I will always and forever stand by my honest word and say that Sonic Mega Collection is by far the best $40 I've spent towards my Gamecube.

Kybyrian

Let's start with Old School Sonic.

I used to have a Sega, but then it broke on me. I had both the Sonic games that were released for the Sega, and I would play them ALL of the time. Dr. Eggman never gets old. I would play through those levels over and over again, and beat the game countless times. Just sit there in front of my Sega with that controller in my hand spinning around and running full speed toward the finish. I used to know where every obstacle is, and I could clear a stage faster than anybody I know could. I would know just where to jump, stop and go slower, or whatever else you need to do to complete the stage, and it always worked perfectly, and that stage would be gone, just like that. Dr. Eggman was also pretty fast to beat, as well. Not very hard in his many occurrences.

Remember how I said I would move on from Old School Sonic? Well I lied, because most of the Sonic games they make now suck. Sonic Unleashed is absolutely horrid. Sonic Heroes wasn't that bad, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom