• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Name for the Nintendo WiiU

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'd like it to be what many people thought it was going to be a couple years back: the Wii Revelation. It should keep the title of "Wii" because it's still going along with the basic concept of the original. But Revelation really seems to fit it; a revelation in this sense is a vision of novelty or impressiveness, and the WiiU certainly is that, as well as a step-up from its predecessor. I'd just want the end product to have a more invigoration title, not that it would change the product itself, really; albeit, it'd better describe the epicness of it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Honestly, no, because the WiiU IS part of the Wii Console. Technically, you need a Wii to use it :S All it does is enhance the gameplay, and is portable. Like a big-a** PSP XD. If they change the name, people will think it's a completely new game console, when it's basically just an upgraded extension of the Wii. >.<

Then why was the Wii called the "Wii" and not "Gamecube whateves"? All the Wii really was, was a slightly more powerful Gamecube with motion controls... Doesn't change the fact that it's an entirely new console. That's why you can't get its games anywhere else. And please explain how "technically, you need a Wii to use it", because that makes no sense at all. It has completely new features and is much more powerful than a Wii (at least from what we hear). It needs a new name because idiots make the mistake of thinking that's it's just another Wii and not Nintendo's next generation console.

LOL! Followers...

I've gotten used to the name, but I admit I didn't even realize it was a new system until a while after E3, I thought it was just some sort of Wii add on xD
I did hear the rumors at the beginning about the name as something like "Revelation" or "Revolution"; something along those lines. My only problem with one of those is how do you top such a name? I mean, anything coming after a name like REVOLUTION would be hard to live up to . . .

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Then why was the Wii called the "Wii" and not "Gamecube whateves"? All the Wii really was, was a slightly more powerful Gamecube with motion controls... Doesn't change the fact that it's an entirely new console. That's why you can't get its games anywhere else. And please explain how "technically, you need a Wii to use it", because that makes no sense at all. It has completely new features and is much more powerful than a Wii (at least from what we hear). It needs a new name because idiots make the mistake of thinking that's it's just another Wii and not Nintendo's next generation console.

LOL! Followers...

I think it was meant that you need the Wii controllers in order to play it. And I disagree, while the U definitely is Nintendo's next gen console, it's still pretty much a Wii. The Xbox successor was a next gen console, and yet it still had Xbox in it's name (Xbox 360).

If Nintendo were to name it, say, the Nintendo Stream, people would think it was completely different from the Wii, and let's face it, it's not. Having "Wii" somewhere in the console's name will get consumers saying, "Oh, I already have remotes and accessories for this console. Buying it won't be a big deal."

That's why I think Nintendo Wii 2 really is the only other option.

LPZeldaGamer said:
Honestly, no, because the WiiU IS part of the Wii Console. Technically, you need a Wii to use it All it does is enhance the gameplay, and is portable. Like a big-a** PSP XD. If they change the name, people will think it's a completely new game console, when it's basically just an upgraded extension of the Wii.

Um...No. The Wii U is a completely new console. The "tablet" controller may only be utilized with the Wii U and not its 2006 predecessor...

Christburner said:
omg someone on the internet who isnt ********

Good sir, please show some more respect.

Lord Death said:
If Nintendo were to name it, say, the Nintendo Stream, people would think it was completely different from the Wii, and let's face it, it's not. Having "Wii" somewhere in the console's name will get consumers saying, "Oh, I already have remotes and accessories for this console. Buying it won't be a big deal."

That's why I think Nintendo Wii 2 really is the only other option.

That's not an argument refuting why not to include "Wii" in its name. Nintendo called its second 3D enabled system (Virtual Boy aside) the Nintendo Gamecube and not the Nintendo 64 2 or more logically Nintendo 128 or something along those lines. The case with this forthcoming HD system is the same. The hardware is significantly more powerful and the controller is radically different from the Wii Remote. There is absolutely no reason to leave "Wii" in its name.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think it was meant that you need the Wii controllers in order to play it. And I disagree, while the U definitely is Nintendo's next gen console, it's still pretty much a Wii.

Yeah, you need a Wii controller for some games... Which the Wii U will most likely provide you with. Saying that the Wii U is pretty much a Wii, is like saying it's pretty much a Gamecube... It either is or isn't. It's like saying you're a little pregnant.

The Xbox successor was a next gen console, and yet it still had Xbox in it's name (Xbox 360).

What? Calling it an XBOX won't cause confusion like the Wii U is doing. Having "XBOX" in the title is like having "Nintendo" in the title...

If Nintendo were to name it, say, the Nintendo Stream, people would think it was completely different from the Wii, and let's face it, it's not.

Um, it is... Unless you can play Wii U games on the Wii, which you can't.

Having "Wii" somewhere in the console's name will get consumers saying, "Oh, I already have remotes and accessories for this console. Buying it won't be a big deal."

LOL!

Last edited:
I've always disliked the name Wii so anything that isn't that would be an improvement. I understand the marketing perspective from Nintendo tho. They sold a LOT of Wii's so ''non gamers'' might recognize that name more than a new name.

I don't mind the change, but some of my friends had no idea that it was a new console. They all thought it was a new controller for the Wii, which it isn't. Changing the name might clear up some of the confusion, but it's a little late now. The only way Nintendo can fix the confusion over the Wii U is to show it off better at the next E3. They should show off the actual machine instead of just the controller.

I don't really like or dislike the current name of the Wii U, I never really disliked the Wii's name either, though I think that the best name for any console up to this day is Gamecube. They can just stick to Wii U for all I care, it's up to them to decide what name will get them the most customers. In the end, I only care for the games they release on the new console.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
That's not an argument refuting why not to include "Wii" in its name. Nintendo called its second 3D enabled system (Virtual Boy aside) the Nintendo Gamecube and not the Nintendo 64 2 or more logically Nintendo 128 or something along those lines. The case with this forthcoming HD system is the same. The hardware is significantly more powerful and the controller is radically different from the Wii Remote. There is absolutely no reason to leave "Wii" in its name.

Yes there's a huge reason! You NEED Wii remotes to play the system with. It is really just a Wii with better graphics and a new controller, but you still use all of your Wii accessories. The GameCube could not play N64 games, nor did it incorporate three-prong controllers. There was no reason to name it the N64 2.

Yeah, you need a Wii controller for some games... Which the Wii U will most likely provide you with. Saying that the Wii U is pretty much a Wii, is like saying it's pretty much a Gamecube... It either is or isn't. It's like saying you're a little pregnant.

I don't understand how saying it is like a Wii means it is like a GameCube... Games on the system will be based around motion-control and you can play Wii games on the Wii U. In fact, it is so much like a Wii, the folks at Nintendo decided to put "Wii" in the title of the console! But what do they know, right?

And I don't understand what was funny about the last part. Unless, you know, you don't many things about economics.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't understand how saying it is like a Wii means it is like a GameCube... Games on the system will be based around motion-control and you can play Wii games on the Wii U. In fact, it is so much like a Wii, the folks at Nintendo decided to put "Wii" in the title of the console! But what do they know, right?

Because it's according to your logic. The Wii was practically a Gamecube with motion controls that can also play Gamecube games. And hey! Some games allow you to use the Gamecube controller! That sure is a Gamecube to me! Therefore the Wii U is still practically a Gamecube as the Wii was. At least according to you...

I guess the Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance are the same things as well. Because the folks at Nintendo thought it was so much like a Gameboy that they should put "Gameboy" in the title. Same goes for the DS and 3DS. It's all the same!

Sarcasm aside... This isn't a minor upgrade like the Gameboy SP, DSLite, DSi, and DSiXL. This is an entirely new system with its own set of games and its own set of innovations. This is the next generation. This is a new era for Nintendo, the era of HD. Just because it's compatible with the Wii and uses some of it's accessories doesn't mean that it's one the same. Was the DS and GBA one the same because of its backward compatibility? The answer is, no.

And I don't understand what was funny about the last part. Unless, you know, you don't many things about economics.

It's funny because that's what you think people are gonna say. The Wii was geared towards casual gamers/families/children. Why the hell would they say, "WE HAVE THE ACCESSORIES JIMMY! LET'S GO ON RIGHT AHEAD AND SPEND ANOTHER 300 DOLLARS ON SOMETHING WE THINK WE ALREADY HAVE!" Yeah, I don't think so. The Wii U is still attracting their original audience, but it's also trying to attract hardcore gamers. Many people are confused as to what it really is, and that's because of it's title.

I would REALLY love if Nintendo changed the name. WiiU is a really stupid name. It sounds bad and it takes the pronoum "we", which the wii was named after, and puts ANOTHER pronoum, the "you". It is just a complete mess.
I really loved the name "Project Café"! When I saw it I thought: "This console is going to be amazing!". But Nintendo couldn't keep tha "project" part in the name, and "Nintendo Café" sounds really dumb as well.

Also, I don't think using the Wii in the name of the new console is really a bad strategy. If we stop to think about it, the WiiU is barely a brand new console. It uses the same controls, design (even though it's probably just temporary) as the Wii. It seems to be mostly a revamped Wii, really.
Besides that, Nintendo is also obviously planning to keep up with the strategy they had with the Wii (casual gaming): it can be clearly proven by the demos Nintendo brought to the E3: mostly casual games. What I'm saying is that keeping the name would make the casual audience relate no the new console.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom