• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Name for the Nintendo WiiU

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Hey, Hey, Hey! It's RedDekuScrub with another enticing question!

So recently there have been rumors going around that Nintendo will be announcing a new name for the WiiU. These rumors come from reliable sources, so are almost marked as TRUE!

I'm pretty sure that these rumors ARE true, but I don't want to flat out say they are.

If I DID say they were true and then they ended up NOT being true then you would all freak out, come to my house, beat me down, and force me to gurgle spoiled milk while watching One Piece be very upset.

....................Okay! Anyway, I recieved this information from our friendly neighbors over at ZeldaInformer. You can check out the Full article when you click the link below this line of words.

Click this to check out the article that told me the rumor that may or may not be true that I should not be held responsible for in any way.

Okay, so here is that enticing question that I promised you earlier in the Thread.

Do you want the WiiU's name to change?

Nintendo aparently said that they want to change it so it is less confusing. They want people to know that it is NOT the Wii at all, but actaully a new enhanced console of extreme magnitude and epic proportions.

I think that that the name change would be fantastic. I believe that the name WiiU doesn't hit the mark for what Nintendo is trying to show us. But, what do you guys/girls think?

Do you want the WiiU's name to change? Why or Why not?

Ciao ;)

Yes, I have heard these rumors as well. I would like very much for the Wii U to be renamed as the current name is not only absolutely terrible but will lead to marketing confusion with the original Wii console. Given the more "hardcore" audience Nintendo is trying to target with this 8th generation console, a name like Nintendo Stream or Nintendo HD would be more appropriate.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Yes, I have heard these rumors as well. I would like very much for the Wii U to be renamed as the current name is not only absolutely terrible but will lead to marketing confusion with the original Wii console. Given the more "hardcore" audience Nintendo is trying to target with this 8th generation console, a name like Nintendo Stream or Nintendo HD would be more appropriate.

I completely agree. I believe many people were actually upset when Nintendo announced the console loast year. Many people new it was supposed to be an amazing HD cosole that would leave Microsoft and Sony in the dust. I think that people were almost "let down" when they heard the name "WiiU" and were expecting a name to fit a console of it's magnitude.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
They should have renamed the 3DS so people know that it is NOT the DS at all, but actaully a new enhanced handheld of extreme magnitude and epic proportions.

...It won't change. Not that I'm complaining.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Umm I don't really see how they could go very far with that idea. The system uses wiimotes, wii nunchucks, the balance board, and the wii wheel. It is essentially an HD Wii! If they stride too far away from this idea, people won't say, "Hey! I already have controllers and games for this system! I might just buy it now!"

Only possibility IMO is the Nintendo Wii 2. Sounds like Wii U, is not as dumb, and conveys the message that people do not have to buy all new controls and hardware in order to play games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Given the more "hardcore" audience Nintendo is trying to target with this 8th generation console, a name like Nintendo Stream or Nintendo HD would be more appropriate.

I know you said "like" which is why I bolded it too, but neither of these titles IMO would appeal to hardcore gamers just because of the name. Nintendo is already stigmatized as softcore, casual company. A simply rebranding will not be enough. That said, I like the Wii U name and although it's confusing, if the system is a hit then everyone will know from here on that hardcore games can come from the most unlikely sources, which could positively impact consumer decisions in the future (I say positive to refer to the eyes of a game developing company).

Stream gives off the impression that Nintendo 8th gen console has amazing video properties, and is more of a media device which it truly isn't (I highlight intentional lack of blu-ray support here -- iirc it can't even play CDs or DVDs but I haven't done any research ont he matter so I may be wrong there).

Nintendo HD is neither original nor does it really roll off the tongue. Yeah, Wii U doesn't either, but it's better than Nintendo HD which IMO gives off the impression "ohai guiz, we Nintendo and we finally caught up!!".

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I want it to change. Bad. More people will give it a chance if it doesn't have the word "Wii" in it. Although this sounds like a really weird name for a gaming system, I want it to be called the Nintendo Riot. Why? Because we're rioting against Microsoft's corrupted rule. Imo, this console was due two years ago, when Nintendo most needed it. We would not have fallen into the Dark Age of Gaming if Nintendo had just made this thing earlier; when they were still on top. It's time to put an end to the enemy. Support the Nintendo Riot.

Last edited:
It's not my favorite name for a console, but it's not bad, IMO. Yeah, at first, it sounded dumb, but I've actually gotten used to it. Nintendo Stream does sound better though.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
They should have renamed the 3DS so people know that it is NOT the DS at all, but actaully a new enhanced handheld of extreme magnitude and epic proportions.

...It won't change. Not that I'm complaining.

Good point, Well said ;)

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Hmmmmmm Does the N-Stream sound good?

Hmmmm..... I don't think so. I believe The Nintendo Stream sounds better. It's like how people refer to other Nintendo consoles as "64", "Gamecube", or "Wii". So the Nintendo Stream would be refered to as "Stream". Of course this is all hypothetical.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Yes, I would love it if they would change the name. I usually don't care or frown about such little details, but come on, this name is ridiculous. Sure, the Wii was different when it first came out, but it worked. But for still using it for their next console is a little much, so yes I would love a name change for the WiiU.

Honestly, no, because the WiiU IS part of the Wii Console. Technically, you need a Wii to use it :S All it does is enhance the gameplay, and is portable. Like a big-a** PSP XD. If they change the name, people will think it's a completely new game console, when it's basically just an upgraded extension of the Wii. >.<

Wii Tablet......thats all it is... i dont understand how anyone can consider this a new console

Honestly, no, because the WiiU IS part of the Wii Console. Technically, you need a Wii to use it :S All it does is enhance the gameplay, and is portable. Like a big-a** PSP XD. If they change the name, people will think it's a completely new game console, when it's basically just an upgraded extension of the Wii. >.<

omg someone on the internet who isnt ********

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom