• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Swords Ten Week Sales Total

MW7

The timing of Skyward Sword's release really will hurt its all time sales. It might not even sell half what Twilight Princess did because it's at the end of the Wii's life cycle. I could be wrong though, but the sales are already dipping low week to week.

Guys, the sales are really good right now.

3.42 million in 10 weeks? No other Zelda games have sold that many in just 10 weeks. Remember, it took Twilight Princess 11 weeks just to reach 2 million, and it took around 2 years just to reach 6.5 million (combined Wii and GC sales).

Now, I don't think it will reach 6.5 million sales because it's at the end of the wii's life cycle, but Zelda games typically sell around the 4-5 million mark. I'm guessing 4.5 million for Skyward Sword, and that's fine. Again, it sold surprisingly a lot in just 10 weeks.

MW7

3.42 million in 10 weeks? No other Zelda games have sold that many in just 10 weeks. Remember, it took Twilight Princess 11 weeks just to reach 2 million, and it took around 2 years just to reach 6.5 million (combined Wii and GC sales).

Now, I don't think it will reach 6.5 million sales because it's at the end of the wii's life cycle, but Zelda games typically sell around the 4-5 million mark. I'm guessing 4.5 million for Skyward Sword, and that's fine. Again, it sold surprisingly a lot in just 10 weeks.

Definitely, from the perspective of how fast it sold it's doing great. I just find it a little discouraging that in the long run OOT 3d will probably end up outselling a game that Nintendo put tons of work into because of timing. At least we know Nintendo hasn't completely sold out since they probably could have released Skyward Sword a year ago without it being "perfect" and ended up with more money in their pocket.

^ This. Skyward Sword is doing extremely well.

Definitely, from the perspective of how fast it sold it's doing great. I just find it a little discouraging that in the long run OOT 3d will probably end up outselling a game that Nintendo put tons of work into because of timing. At least we know Nintendo hasn't completely sold out since they probably could have released Skyward Sword a year ago without it being "perfect" and ended up with more money in their pocket.
You seem to be acting like the timing will inevitably hurt Skyward Sword, but the fact that it's selling so well right now counters that. The fact that it's sold faster than any other Zelda game is already a point in favor of the timing not being damaging to Skyward Sword, and the only point suggesting that the timing will hurt it is speculation.

Skyward Sword is a game people have bought the Wii solely for. In some cases, I'd imagine games this big might even be borderline immune to having their sales hurt by timing. Even if the timing is off console-wise, it was still timed perfectly for a holiday release as well as for Zelda's anniversary (a major promotional movement). Besides, I think you may be overplaying the idea of the late console release being something damaging. I don't know of any history on the subject, but thinking about it, I'd imagine the end of a console's lifespan is when people who couldn't get it before can most easily afford it and when it's the most worth it to them; the console will have seen price drops and its library will be large.

MW7

You seem to be acting like the timing will inevitably hurt Skyward Sword, but the fact that it's selling so well right now counters that. The fact that it's sold faster than any other Zelda game is already a point in favor of the timing not being damaging to Skyward Sword, and the only point suggesting that the timing will hurt it is speculation.

Skyward Sword is a game people have bought the Wii solely for. In some cases, I'd imagine games this big might even be borderline immune to having their sales hurt by timing. Even if the timing is off console-wise, it was still timed perfectly for a holiday release as well as for Zelda's anniversary (a major promotional movement). Besides, I think you may be overplaying the idea of the late console release being something damaging. I don't know of any history on the subject, but thinking about it, I'd imagine the end of a console's lifespan is when people who couldn't get it before can most easily afford it and when it's the most worth it to them; the console will have seen price drops and its library will be large.

All true and I am just speculating. I still think it won't sell much more than a million more for the rest of its lifetime unless they rerelease it with the Wii U somehow (don't know what the point would be though) as was the case with Twilight Princess. I'm just thinking that because it was near the end of the Wii's life cycle that pretty much everyone who was waiting for it has already bought it hence the extremely fast sales. I'm also guessing that once we know everything about Wii U that Skyward Sword's new sales will be almost nonexistent since people will be looking towards the future. I also know nothing about late console release history so I'm just guessing.

All true and I am just speculating. I still think it won't sell much more than a million more for the rest of its lifetime unless they rerelease it with the Wii U somehow (don't know what the point would be though) as was the case with Twilight Princess. I'm just thinking that because it was near the end of the Wii's life cycle that pretty much everyone who was waiting for it has already bought it hence the extremely fast sales. I'm also guessing that once we know everything about Wii U that Skyward Sword's new sales will be almost nonexistent since people will be looking towards the future. I also know nothing about late console release history so I'm just guessing.
I guarantee you Skyward Sword won't be re-released with the Wii U, but I'd also be surprised if it sorta wasn't that way by default. Think about it. The Wii U is confirmed to be compatible with all the controller types of the Wii, or at least the Wiimote (and obviously Wii Motion Plus). It would be stupid if Nintendo didn't include full Wii backwards compatibility in there, and that means Skyward Sword is going to be equally as playable on Wii U as it will be on the Wii, meaning that since it's just come out it might has well have gotten a dual release like Twilight Princess did. People are going to be playing Skyward Sword on their Wii U's, and playing it on Wii U instead of buying a Wii. I guarantee you.

I also promise you that there are still plenty of people who have yet to get the game that would enjoy it or even immediately want to play it. There are plenty of people who have not been able to get the games, some of them likely for financial reasons, but I don't think it's exclusive to that at all.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't think the sales are particularly good. TP was slower to sell because it was a release title and Wii had not sold 100+million units. Now there are that many consoles sold. SS should have done better in my opinion

MW7

I guarantee you Skyward Sword won't be re-released with the Wii U, but I'd also be surprised if it sorta wasn't that way by default. Think about it. The Wii U is confirmed to be compatible with all the controller types of the Wii, or at least the Wiimote (and obviously Wii Motion Plus). It would be stupid if Nintendo didn't include full Wii backwards compatibility in there, and that means Skyward Sword is going to be equally as playable on Wii U as it will be on the Wii, meaning that since it's just come out it might has well have gotten a dual release like Twilight Princess did. People are going to be playing Skyward Sword on their Wii U's, and playing it on Wii U instead of buying a Wii. I guarantee you.

I also promise you that there are still plenty of people who have yet to get the game that would enjoy it or even immediately want to play it. There are plenty of people who have not been able to get the games, some of them likely for financial reasons, but I don't think it's exclusive to that at all.

You make perfect sense. I'm just guessing that the "plenty of people" is closer to a million. Wii U will be marketed heavily next Christmas by Nintendo, and if there are some big name launch titles, Skyward Sword will be an afterthought. There definitely will be plenty more sales for Skyward Sword- I'm just speculating pessimistically. I guess the best way to put it is- if I could bet that Skyward Sword would sell less than 5 million copies all time in its current form, I definitely would because I think the number will be around 4.5 to 5 million.

I don't think the sales are particularly good. TP was slower to sell because it was a release title and Wii had not sold 100+million units. Now there are that many consoles sold. SS should have done better in my opinion
Twilight Princess was a launch title for the Wii and a swan song for the GameCube, don't forget. I don't understand how you can say Skyward Sword "could have done better" when it outdid every other Zelda game. Do you think other Zelda games could have done better too?

You make perfect sense. I'm just guessing that the "plenty of people" is closer to a million. Wii U will be marketed heavily next Christmas by Nintendo, and if there are some big name launch titles, Skyward Sword will be an afterthought. There definitely will be plenty more sales for Skyward Sword- I'm just speculating pessimistically. I guess the best way to put it is- if I could bet that Skyward Sword would sell less than 5 million copies all time in its current form, I definitely would because I think the number will be around 4.5 to 5 million.
Thank ye.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting Skyward Sword will be regarded as heavily as some of the launch titles, but fact is that it's still Zelda and a pretty damn good game in general. There will be attention on it.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I think that Skyward Sword will continue to sell copies on the Wii U because a game of its caliber is not going to be immediately taken down because of a new console that can still play it. Besides, there isn't a Zelda game that is going to be immediately available on the Wii U, so it's sales will probably keep coming through until wii games are out of make or a Wii U zelda comes along to drop Skyward Sword sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom