• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Fi Has Feelings?

XskywardX

Shadow Instruments
i noticed that during the game Fi has practicaly no emotions and a very bland personality, but at the end of the game when you about to go through the portal to fight demise Fi says "Even though i cant go in there, ill always be with you..." "Oh and (players name), Good luck..." the "..." implying feelings, and the "ill always be with you..." is obviously a sign of...LOVE(ooooh, does Fi have a crush on Link?)
well, tell me what you think

Last edited by a moderator:
Fi said that before you went in? I don't remember those lines specifically. Either way, she does reveal more emotional aspects of her character at the very end of the game after Demise is defeated. It's clear that over the course of her mission, she developed some understanding of emotion and felt a lot of it toward Link. I kind of doubt she had actual romantic feelings towards Link, because that would imply whatever she is can mate, but it's clear she did love him, even if she didn't full comprehend that feeling.

I think this was an excellent aspect to the story, one that I actually more or less predicted before the game came out, but I think they handed the development of her character incredibly poorly. Character development doesn't equal having your character act a certain way the entire story and then suddenly act different. Fi should have shown small glimpses of her emotion throughout the game, but in a subtle-enough way that you had to pay attention to catch it. Until the end of the game, that is, when it could be more obvious. Like during the moment in Skipper's Shack would have been a great time, or when Link was about to fight Ghirahim for the second time.

(It's good to put a spoiler tag on things like this. I edited one in.)

XskywardX

Shadow Instruments
though there was probably only an 85% chance it was what he wanted to hear
i would definately believe that

Fi said that before you went in? I don't remember those lines specifically. Either way, she does reveal more emotional aspects of her character at the very end of the game after Demise is defeated. It's clear that over the course of her mission, she developed some understanding of emotion and felt a lot of it toward Link. I kind of doubt she had actual romantic feelings towards Link, because that would imply whatever she is can mate, but it's clear she did love him, even if she didn't full comprehend that feeling.

I think this was an excellent aspect to the story, one that I actually more or less predicted before the game came out, but I think they handed the development of her character incredibly poorly. Character development doesn't equal having your character act a certain way the entire story and then suddenly act different. Fi should have shown small glimpses of her emotion throughout the game, but in a subtle-enough way that you had to pay attention to catch it. Until the end of the game, that is, when it could be more obvious. Like during the moment in Skipper's Shack would have been a great time, or when Link was about to fight Ghirahim for the second time.

yea, sorry i forgot about the sopiler tag

I believe she loves him. Not a romantic love though, i think she felt like after their journey, she became a part of him, a part of a family, a friend. Like she said, she felt happiness. So i do think she loves him, but in a way so that she feels as though they became one throughout their journey.

Feral

The Drifter
..... Like during the moment in Skipper's Shack would have been a great time....

Yeah, the only thing she does is tell you about a bug infestation on the roof when you sit on the stool in the shack.

Look hard enough and you'll see that she does. One such time is after the Fire Sanctuary I believe. Fi starts rambling on about something or other and when she stops Link gives her a thankful smile. She looks shocked as if she doesn't know how to respond. That to me showed the beginning of her journey toward understanding emotions. Another time is when you complete the song of the hero and are listening to the final song for the first time. She appears from above Link and stops just inches from his face and just stares at him for a brief moment. Then floats off again and begins her floaty sparkly dance thing.
I don't recall the Fire Sanctuary scene at all, and I didn't really think much of the scene during the Song of the Hero; I don't see how one could apply any definite emotion to that sequence. Either way, that's all end-game stuff. It's still Fi revealing this suddenly at the end rather than building it up properly throughout the game.

I very much doubt that Fi was in love with Link though. I think the purpose of that last scene was to show that she really was somewhat human after all. She was just about beginning to understand happiness and said so herself. You don't run before you can walk.
I didn't say in love, I said she loves him. She clearly cared about him and greatly valued the time they spent together. That's love. I'm sure she never applied that word to it nor fully understood it, but the emotions she displayed at the end of the game were pretty distinctly love. Just not in the romantic or sexual sense; it was love like close friends or families have.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I am very definite that it is not love, or at least the love that the OP is hinting at; more along what Axle broached. In such a setting family members feel responsible in looking after one another, ascertaining that they not go beyond the set standards belonging to their kin, and most respect that through some sort of bond each member shares. Fi was obligated to guiding Link, and she went the extra mile to be sure nothing happened to him, especially in the land below Skyloft, unknown territory to him. This tells me that she was being protective and preventive of harm to Link, though it was his quest...strangely a motherly role comes to mind, albeit that is not the most accurate comparison to Fi's duty.

But that was mostly Fi's perspective during the quest. In the end, as the need of her came to a close, she started to sensing a change in her nature. If the name of songs have anything to do with it, to wit "Fi's Gratitude", then she was grateful of having led Link to the completion of his preordained destiny. Seeing her own task complete she was content to rest. Otherwise we can go with the word she actually used to express herself:
happiness
While many posters before me joked that she'd calculated this feeling, I believe she truly experienced it as we do. For the time that she served her purpose, Fi enjoyed having Link as her Master, yet not out of love, but an affinity which had grown between them.

Starleap

Canadian Girl
I think the relationship between Link and Fi was clear. She was the sword, Link her master. The time they spent together would leave a mark on anyone, and it did when you played they game.

Getting back to topic, Fi showed her feeling of happiness in the final scene. It was like the friendship you had with the King of Red Lions in WW and the partnership with Navi in Oot and Tael (or was it Tatl?) in MM. The time spent journeying made quite the impression on the adventurers.

Feral

The Drifter
Fi is a synthetic life form created by Hylia, programmed with all the knowledge she needs to function as an aid for Link's mission. She would be somewhat of a blank slate in terms of exprience and feelings. During the time she was with Link she gained / developed things she wasn't programmed with. Furby? .... no I meant she started developing a soul.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Well, she does technically. I don't want to spoil anything, but before the final boss and as well as at he end. Also, I don't think she loves him, but I do think she considers herself a close friend, and Link des too, as he didn't want to leave Fi in her pedestal.

i thought that Fi's character was in love with link but as a friend, not much more. She cared for him and of course, warned us all if our batteries are almost depleted :P

but i agree with axle

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I kind of doubt she had actual romantic feelings towards Link, because that would imply whatever she is can mate, but it's clear she did love him, even if she didn't full comprehend that feeling.
This...speaking of mate, I can't get Scrapper's crush on her out of my head now. I wonder if robots can breed...and I wonder if Fi's a robot. She's obviously not the same kind as the desert robots though. I remember a sign on a wall in Skipper's Retreat that said something like "dear Dad: come home soon!" That implies that robots can reproduce somehow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom