• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-N64 Link Actually Talks.

Technically he speaks, I know one specific time, when you almost fall and grab a ledge he says "oh no".

mystery solved.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
why do people think that because he doesn't speak during the game, he doesn't speak AT ALL? maybe it's just me misunderstanding

Link had dialogue as early as '88
012.jpg

And if you accept Hyrule Historia as canon, the Hero of Time is quite vocal in Twilight Princess:
[video=youtube;Z3XtjYFZuY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3XtjYFZuY8[/video]

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
And if you accept Hyrule Historia as canon, the Hero of Time is quite vocal in Twilight Princess

I was going to say that. ;) I can guarantee that the Hero's Shade is the Hero of Time. But even as the Hero's Shade, he does not "speak", he grunts, if anything. Assuming he does say "oh no" when he grabs a ledge in Ocarina of Time, he technically speaks more in Ocarina of Time than in Twilight Princess.

Anyway, I swear I can hear Link say "giddy up" when riding Epona in Twilight Princess.

this brings me to voice chat, I don't like the idea of anyone in Zelda speaking, but if they had to do it, leave Link silent, as I'm sure Nintendo will do.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
They're not actual phrases at all. They're pretty much just gibberish. The "oh, no" is just a sound of shock of almost falling and sounds more like "whoa, whoa" than anything, and the "come on" is more like "cabba," which is gibberish by definition. Honestly, think about it. The Zelda games are made in Japan, not America. The English versions are just translated from Japanese, as are all the other non-Japanese versions. Do you really think that Japanese developers were putting in English phrases? I highly doubt that. These things are really no different than his other grunts in the games.

Mystery solved.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Seeing the dialogue from The Adventure of Link and other games where you can pick his choices, as well as gibberish, he sort of does. But he never says anything clear or directly...and we have loved it that way ever since 1986.

Yes he talks... there have been many times NPC characters react like he just said something... Nintendo expects us to decide what and how he says things... they leave it up to our imaginations.... Its also why you can change his name.

They're not actual phrases at all. They're pretty much just gibberish. The "oh, no" is just a sound of shock of almost falling and sounds more like "whoa, whoa" than anything, and the "come on" is more like "cabba," which is gibberish by definition. Honestly, think about it. The Zelda games are made in Japan, not America. The English versions are just translated from Japanese, as are all the other non-Japanese versions. Do you really think that Japanese developers were putting in English phrases? I highly doubt that. These things are really no different than his other grunts in the games.

Mystery solved.

yeah, in the beg of TP the guy says "Heeeeeyyyyy" totally japanese.

so you're saying it's a coindicence that WW link "sounds like hes saying" come on, when he wants something to come...on...

and when OOT link almost falls (young link) he says "oh, no"

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
It's not really so much that Link "talks". They are just sounds and noises he makes, that anybody would make despite having to say any words.

^ Several people on Skyloft talk, too. I could never remember their names, but i know the father of Kukeil and the girl who's Loftwing you had to save near FunFun Island say "Hey" and "Hello".

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Link has talked in a plethora of games, the most prominent are as follows.

[video=youtube;bNpLXo55yfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom