• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Megaupload Taken Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you with accounts on MegaUpload, I am sad to say that the federal government has shut down the site.
Though what really surprises me is that they did it without needing SOPA.

Y

Yamarath

I never used MegaUpload or similar sites, but this just ticks me off. How were they able to get away with this? MegaUpload is a company in Hong Kong, not the US.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Wow.....wow. I am speechless.

Though what really surprises me is that they did it without needing SOPA.

Indeed. I suppose it gives a taste of what's only going to ignite across the internet in a raging domino effect were SOPA to see the light of day (and may I direct you to the bathroom if that taste is sickening.)

There're details here for anyone interested.

Last edited:

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
They are literally destoying the freedom of the internet...WTF is US doing? To take action without the SOPA and PIPA in effect?

In case you don't know US...there is no oil in the internet, so stop invading our sanctuary!

They are literally destoying the freedom of the internet...WTF is US doing? To take action without the SOPA and PIPA in effect?

In case you don't know US...there is no oil in the internet, so stop invading our sanctuary!

They are serving the interests of some of the major entertainment corporations. It doesn't surprise me, you'd be amazed at how much pull lobbyists and corporate powers have over our government. Pretty much run the dang thing.

This is completely wrong. And I fail to understand why Hollywood would support it. The earlier proponents of free Internet are now becoming its opponents who seek nothing but restriction of freedo. The media is trying to turn the tables against the public.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I never used MegaUpload or similar sites, but this just ticks me off. How were they able to get away with this? MegaUpload is a company in Hong Kong, not the US.
Actually, MegaUpload has servers on US territory. That's why it was so easy to attack the site. MegaUpload was taken down because of many charges relating to copyright infringement. If you go to megaupload.com, this image will await you. MegaUpload was home to many, and I mean MANY, copyrighted files and media. Also, the owners of MegaUpload, i believe, are being sued for a big chunk of cash. Something to note however is Megaupload may come back, although the odds are very slim. See, MegaUpload is going to see if they can follow in YouTube's footsteps with Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). DMCA is what pretty much keeps the users of YouTube safe. Like, say someone uploads a news broadcast from CBS to YouTube. CBS can either claim the video and take it down or they can put ads on the video. In MegaUpload's case, if someone leaks files of a movie onto MegaUpload, the company that made the movie can claim and remove the files or put ads on the page. So, not all hope if lost.

But hey, if MegaUpload is gone for good, there's always Host-A Hosting. :lol:

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Actually, MegaUpload has servers on US territory. That's why it was so easy to attack the site.
No they didn't. They LEASED some servers in Maryland. Leased, not owned. And it was only a small handful. Most of their servers, the ones that contained the content in question, was actually in Hong Kong.
MegaUpload was taken down because of many charges relating to copyright infringement. If you go to megaupload.com, this image will await you. MegaUpload was home to many, and I mean MANY, copyrighted files and media. Also, the owners of MegaUpload, i believe, are being sued for a big chunk of cash.
Not exactly, that was just an excuse. The real reasons were more along the lines of Hollywood trying to get what it wants in the wake of the failure of SOPA and PIPA. MegaUpload was going to start a music service called MegaBox that allows music artists to sell their music direct to consumers while getting to keep 90% of the profits, cutting out the record labels which would have kept way more than 10% for themselves. It was a threat, though an entirely legal one, to the business of the major record labels. That's why they wanted MegaUpload down so badly. Not because of piracy. Piracy was an excuse.
Something to note however is Megaupload may come back, although the odds are very slim. See, MegaUpload is going to see if they can follow in YouTube's footsteps with Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). DMCA is what pretty much what keeps the users of YouTube safe. Like, say someone uploads a news broadcast from CBS to YouTube. CBS can either claim the video and take it down or they can put ads on the video. In MegaUpload's case, if someone leaks files of a movie onto MegaUpload, the company that made the movie can claim and remove the files or put ads on the page. So, not all hope if lost.
Not so unlikely. They can easily get out due to the DMCA, they were in full compliance with it. Always taking down infringing content on request. It's not practical to inspect every single file to check if it's infringing. Under the DMCA they're not liable for the actions of their users. And they're also not liable if the copyright holders fail to request the takedown of infringing material. They always complied with takedown requests from copyright holders. There is also the issue of the FBI illegally going outside of their jurisdiction in making the seizure. This makes everything they obtained from it, the chat logs, emails, etc. will be inadmissible in court because of how it was obtained illegally outside of the jurisdiction. So they will not have a case against them.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well megaupload is already down for a while now and I don't see it coming back up anytime soon. So to talk about this months later is a bit useless. Feel free to pm me if you disagree and want this thread to be reopened ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom