• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Were Playstation 1 and 2 So Popular?

Teron

van der Nguyen
Maybe the better merchandising? In PAL territories we didn't hear much about N64 nor Gamecube until gaming became popular ALL OVER the world (about 2007).

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Well this time Nintendo is admitting their own mistakes and will try to bring more third party support with the Wii U and 3DS.

Yeah there was a time that the third party developers asked Nintendo, but now nintendo is asking the third party developers.

I doubt how successful they'll be with it though. Not only did third parties have issue with how Nintendo treated them, they also had issue with Nintendo's stubbornness and refusal to go along with the industry. There's usually some hardware issue with Nintendo consoles that the third parties do not like. With the N64, it's that they stuck with cartridges. The GameCube, it was the limited size of Nintendo's custom disk format. And the Wii it was the radically different controls and seriously underpowered specs of the machine, it was basically no more powerful than the GameCube. Nintendo has shown no signs that it has any intentions of backing off on its gimmicks and cost-saving measures that the third parties have hated before. They've just said they're trying to attract third parties, all while ignoring everything they took issue with in the first place. Third parties want to port to all three consoles. It's simple as that. Nintendo makes this difficult with their stubborn need to be different. The Wii and Wii U are both underpowered and both have rather radical controls that the others are not interested in having as their main controls. The Wii U may seem powerful enough, but it's not. It's already outdated, the next Xbox and Playstation are going to put it to shame and will keep with the times. The Wii U is only as powerful as the Wii SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. Third parties HATE THIS. It makes developing a port to the Nintendo system very, very expensive to the point they don't feel they'll make a profit on it. This has always been an issue with Nintendo. They always insist on being different no matter what and it costs them third party support. Complain all you want about how you don't need power for good games. It is a financial problem for third parties whether you like it or not. Not only that, but Nintendo's own games dominate the market on their own consoles so it's very difficult for a third party to get a foot in the door with anything on them. The other consoles do not have such monopolies.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I doubt how successful they'll be with it though. Not only did third parties have issue with how Nintendo treated them, they also had issue with Nintendo's stubbornness and refusal to go along with the industry. There's usually some hardware issue with Nintendo consoles that the third parties do not like. With the N64, it's that they stuck with cartridges. The GameCube, it was the limited size of Nintendo's custom disk format. And the Wii it was the radically different controls and seriously underpowered specs of the machine, it was basically no more powerful than the GameCube. Nintendo has shown no signs that it has any intentions of backing off on its gimmicks and cost-saving measures that the third parties have hated before. They've just said they're trying to attract third parties, all while ignoring everything they took issue with in the first place. Third parties want to port to all three consoles. It's simple as that. Nintendo makes this difficult with their stubborn need to be different. The Wii and Wii U are both underpowered and both have rather radical controls that the others are not interested in having as their main controls. The Wii U may seem powerful enough, but it's not. It's already outdated, the next Xbox and Playstation are going to put it to shame and will keep with the times. The Wii U is only as powerful as the Wii SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. Third parties HATE THIS. It makes developing a port to the Nintendo system very, very expensive to the point they don't feel they'll make a profit on it. This has always been an issue with Nintendo. They always insist on being different no matter what and it costs them third party support. Complain all you want about how you don't need power for good games. It is a financial problem for third parties whether you like it or not. Not only that, but Nintendo's own games dominate the market on their own consoles so it's very difficult for a third party to get a foot in the door with anything on them. The other consoles do not have such monopolies.

Oh I agree with everthing you said here. Yet still i still keeping my hopes up that the Wii U will have a decent amount of power, and that a nintendo port will be less expensive. Why you ask? Because I never thought that games like Ninja Gaiden and Assassins Creed would come to a Nintendo console. I'm also suprised that Street Fighter 4, DOA Dimensions, Tekken made it to the 3DS. Its at least a good start, and i just hope nintendo would invest more into third parties.

But if you ask me, i think that a Wii port was not only expensive because of the lack of power, but also because of the remote gimmick. Many games were "forced" with motion controls, which isn't really neccecary. Only a few games works good with motion controls. Take Activision for example, with their lousy port of Tony Hawk and Spiderman games. They did not even bother to make it compatible with classic controls.
My guess is why Nintendo chose for a tablet this time, is because they saw more potential in the DS and 3DS. I'm just happy that they return to the classic button layout, and not forcing every game with the Motion contols.

Oh I agree with everthing you said here. Yet still i still keeping my hopes up that the Wii U will have a decent amount of power, and that a nintendo port will be less expensive. Why you ask? Because I never thought that games like Ninja Gaiden and Assassins Creed would come to a Nintendo console. I'm also suprised that Street Fighter 4, DOA Dimensions, Tekken made it to the 3DS. Its at least a good start, and i just hope nintendo would invest more into third parties.

But if you ask me, i think that a Wii port was not only expensive because of the lack of power, but also because of the remote gimmick. Many games were "forced" with motion controls, which isn't really neccecary. Only a few games works good with motion controls. Take Activision for example, with their lousy port of Tony Hawk and Spiderman games. They did not even bother to make it compatible with classic controls.
My guess is why Nintendo chose for a tablet this time, is because they saw more potential in the DS and 3DS. I'm just happy that they return to the classic button layout, and not forcing every game with the Motion contols.

The first three Ninja Gaiden games were on the NES and there was one on the DS.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
The first three Ninja Gaiden games were on the NES and there was one on the DS.

Yeah yeah i know... save the info to yourself, after all I experienced the NES gen when i was a kid. You might as well mentioned that Street Fighter was also in the SNES gen.

I meant the good stuff like the one for the XBOX in 2004 (also a black edition) and later Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 for Sony.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah i know... save the info to yourself, after all I experienced the NES gen when i was a kid.
I meant the good stuff like the one for the XBOX in 2004 (also a black edition) and later Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 for Sony.

I kinda suspected that but just making sure. Now on topic, the GC has a lot of cool things about it. The GC has wireless controllers, the GameBoy player where you can play GB,GBC and GBA games on your T.V screen. Sure the PS Vita is able to play PS3 games, but a problem with the Vita is that its too expensive. $250 for the system and $120 for the 32 gigabyte memory card. There are less powerful memory cards, but it sucks you have to pay so much extra money for a memory card.

Last edited:

MW7

I kinda suspected that but just making sure. Now on topic, the GC had a lot of cool things about it. The GC has wireless controllers, the GameBoy player where you can play GB,GBC and GBA games on your T.V screen. Sure the PS Vita is able to play PS3 games, but a problem with the Vita is that its too expensive. $250 for the system and $120 for the 32 gigabyte memory card. There are less powerful memory cards, but it sucks you have to pay so much extra money for a memory card.

I remember one website recently ranked the gamecube controller as the #1 controller of all time (don't remember the site though). It sure was comfortable in your hands. I remember somewhere reading about how because of the GameBoy Player and the Zelda Collector's edition, the Gamecube was capable of playing every single Zelda title released up through Twilight Princess. Little things like that really appealled to me even though I was buying the system for Zelda and Mario anyway.

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
Look I'm a Nintendo fan, but don't be such a jackass and start badmouthing playstation. The playstation had some of my favorite games ever, like Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3. Castlevania symphony and many others. Nintendo is a great company but they've made some big f%ckups too. Like the gameboy advance micro!! The first nintendo ds. Sony has had mistakes too like the psp. In most peoples eyes the 3DS is a failure, to me it's not but still. At one point playstation and nintendo were gonna make a system together but nintendo didn't want to do discs...look how that turned out.

Look I'm a Nintendo fan, but don't be such a jackass and start badmouthing playstation. The playstation had some of my favorite games ever, like Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3. Castlevania symphony and many others. Nintendo is a great company but they've made some big f%ckups too. Like the gameboy advance micro!! The first nintendo ds. Sony has had mistakes too like the psp. In most peoples eyes the 3DS is a failure, to me it's not but still. At one point playstation and nintendo were gonna make a system together but nintendo didn't want to do discs...look how that turned out.

Sony will try to rip people off. When I got my PS2 the memory card was $30. The card was only able to hold 8 megabytes. I don't know about you but that doesn't seem like a good deal to me. With the PS Vita, the memory card holds 32 gigabytes and costs $120, which proves that Sony is still doing this sorta thing as of today.

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
Sony will try to rip people off. When I got my PS2 the memory card was $30. The card was only able to hold 8 megabytes. I don't know about you but that doesn't seem like a good deal to me. With the PS Vita, the memory card holds 32 gigabytes and costs $120, which proves that Sony is still doing this sorta thing as of today.

Nintendo rips people off too, you see Sony and Microsoft will mark down they're games. However Nintendo doesn't and don't say I'm wrong because I was a manager for four years and Twilight Princess was only marked down from 50 to 20 in 2011!! Nintendo's Gamecube memory cards were overpriced as he!!. Legend of Zelda collector's edition was and still is 40 dollars for games that are really old and to top it all off they FREEZE! The 3DS will be getting a second analog stick that you have to buy wtf. Sony and Nintendo both have their flaws and both of them cut corners so don't bit@h!

MW7

I'm sorry but I don't think you read a single word of anyones' posts. I presented my ignorance in the first post and everything since has been explaining Sony's good decisions and Nintendo's bad decisions. Some people have even begun speculating Nintendo's future and are pessimistic. No one has badmouthed playstation so if anyone's a jackass it's you for inciting that we (I'm assuming me mostly) have been badmouthing playstation. I admitted I know nothing about Playstation so everything you might have reacted badly to must be considered in light of that.

Secondly, the DS is the second highest selling console of all time and the 3DS is doing fine now. Thirdly of course Nintendo has made huge mistakes and probably more than any video game company by far because they've been in it the longest.

Edit: I did notice that Starbound said something about Vita being overpriced, but that's the only thing I've seen in this thread so far that's even slightly anti-Sony. Obviously now he said some more things, but at the point in time that you originally posted I think you were way out of line. This thread is about what Sony did differently from Nintendo, not attacking one company or another.

Last edited:

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
I'm sorry but I don't think you read a single word of anyones' posts. I presented my ignorance in the first post and everything since has been explaining Sony's good decisions and Nintendo's bad decisions. Some people have even begun speculating Nintendo's future and are pessimistic. No one has badmouthed playstation so if anyone's a jackass it's you for inciting that we (I'm assuming me mostly) have been badmouthing playstation. I admitted I know nothing about Playstation so everything you might have reacted badly to must be considered in light of that.

Secondly, the DS is the second highest selling console of all time and the 3DS is doing fine now. Thirdly of course Nintendo has made huge mistakes and probably more than any video game company by far because they've been in it the longest.

Edit: I did notice that Starbound said something about Vita being overpriced, but that's the only thing I've seen in this thread so far that's even slightly anti-Sony. Obviously now he said some more things, but at the point in time that you originally posted I think you were way out of line. This thread is about what Sony did differently from Nintendo, not attacking one company or another.

Not you the guy above me, you looked at it objectively and I thank you for not being so single minded.

Nintendo rips people off too, you see Sony and Microsoft will mark down they're games. However Nintendo doesn't and don't say I'm wrong because I was a manager for four years and Twilight Princess was only marked down from 50 to 20 in 2011!! Nintendo's Gamecube memory cards were overpriced as he!!. Legend of Zelda collector's edition was and still is 40 dollars for games that are really old and to top it all off they FREEZE! The 3DS will be getting a second analog stick that you have to buy wtf. Sony and Nintendo both have their flaws and both of them cut corners so don't bit@h!

I'm not trying to cause any trouble so please listen. I do agree that a lot of "old" games do cost a lot of money(I swear they are selling Pokemon R/S for $40), but I believe the collection's edition is rare. I can't find it in stores and if it freezes then its GameStop's fault or whatever store its in. People usually trade in their games and even if the game is a complete mess. Gamestop will take anyways so that they can sell it for a higher price. With the second analog, there are games that require the second circle pad like RE Rev. Plus there are people who are left handed and they need to play games like Kid Icarus Uprising. Again, Nintendo should've added in a second analog to begin with, but the same thing can go with XBox Live. Why do I have to pay $60 to play games online? Face it, everybody rips you off in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom