• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

IGN's Skyward Sword Vs. Ocarina of Time Results Video

Which do you think is better?

• Skyward Sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

• Both are equals

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The motion controls were grand. I loved the swordplay, best the series has ever seen. Everything else? Not so much, at least not in my opinion. The story felt godawful in my opinion though I won't elaborate because I've done so a billion times by now. The items felt too puzzle oriented, no other application (we could do petty things like carry a bomb with the beetle, but honestly why do that when we can hack and slash our way through with the eponymous Skyward Sword just as easily if not easier? Side content...the sidequests all felt the same to me. Too much fetch, too little quest. I like Hero Mode for being there, but all they did was edit the game code to slap double damage and remove all heart spawns unless you have the Heart Medal.

Well, I can definitely tell all of this is just personal issues with you rather than things being reality to the general public. No point in continuing. (And no offense intended in those sentences.)

I really cannot explain it beyond making some claims that some will not agree with. The story structure, the characters, everything just felt too "alike" OoT. It's not necessarily bad that SS' framework resembles that of OoT, but with the way I took it...it was. Not as bad an offender as TP, but still pretty bad.

This is a "to each his own" moment.

Heck, I could say that SS grabbed its story structure from TP, and that's almost a de facto truth!

Only SS triumphed were TP failed (and was 85% original).

The promise was what killed me. They PROMISED us the best Zelda ever. I didn't get that.

You should know not to take statements like those too seriously. You're a huge fan of OoT and believe it to be the best Zelda, so taking a statement like that and forcing yourself to believe it is only going to give birth to a disaster. You have to have expectations for a game, yes, but you can't overhype it in your mind, especially when there's some nostalgia for a classic and timeless game involved.

This is an immense bias and sounds like IGN Nintendo is just dying to get Ocarina of Time off its pedestal.

OoT was the first game to ever receive a 10/10 from IGN. That game has a lot of love there. I'm sorry, but that statement of yours couldn't be filled with any more bogus.

G

Gerren

A game being more "memorable" 90% of the time translates to "I have nostalgic memories of this game". I didn't play MM when i was younger and even though I appreciated the dark depressing atmosphere, and read all the fascinating fan theories revolving the game I didn't find it (gasp) memorable compared to the Zelda games I played before it. Deep down I know MM is probably the best or close to the best Zelda game but it will never be "memorable" to me compared OOT or WW.
I find that many people are incredibly nitpicky about SS and subconsciously forgive OOT for its minor flaws because it's older. Hypothetically if OOT came out today i could see people complaining about Ganon being a boring and cliched villain, the difficulty curve going all over the place, a pretty much pointless sidekick, and annoying mechanics like silver rupees and bottling flames etc.

Seriously though, I LOVE OOT and it was an amazing breathtaking game... for its time. When you break it down SS wins in every category with only story being somewhat debatable.

MW7

OoT was the first game to ever receive a 10/10 from IGN. That game has a lot of love there. I'm sorry, but that statement of yours couldn't be filled with any more bogus.

Did you read my posts? It doesn't matter that IGN loved OOT in 1998 because we are talking about them wanting the newer games to be even better- so badly that they contradict themselves in their own reviews from TP to SS. In 2006they say TP is the greatest zelda game ever made while implying that Ocarina was the previous #1, but then in 2011 they say SS is the greatest zelda game ever made while implying that Ocarina was the previous #1. That's not possible unless OOT retook it's spot from Twilight Princess in that 5 year period despite the heavy disadvantage of not being recently released. So basically they changed their minds on Twilight Princess because they judged it too quickly (of course they have to judge the game since it's a review, but they didn't have to immediately compare it to other Zelda games and definitively state that one is better than the rest). There's nothing to suggest this cycle will repeat itself with Skyward Sword (although IMO it will), but I think it's a certainty that people will care more how the next Zelda game stacks up to Ocarina of Time rather than Skyward Sword. I wouldn't say IGN Nintendo wants to get OOT off its pedastal, but I would say that IGN Nintendo is aching for a game to jump on top of OOT and that's biasing their views somewhat.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Did you read my posts? It doesn't matter that IGN loved OOT in 1998 because we are talking about them wanting the newer games to be even better- so badly that they contradict themselves in their own reviews from TP to SS. In 2006they say TP is the greatest zelda game ever made while implying that Ocarina was the previous #1, but then in 2011 they say SS is the greatest zelda game ever made while implying that Ocarina was the previous #1. That's not possible unless OOT retook it's spot from Twilight Princess in that 5 year period despite the heavy disadvantage of not being recently released. So basically they changed their minds on Twilight Princess because they judged it too quickly (of course they have to judge the game since it's a review, but they didn't have to immediately compare it to other Zelda games and definitively state that one is better than the rest). There's nothing to suggest this cycle will repeat itself with Skyward Sword (although IMO it will), but I think it's a certainty that people will care more how the next Zelda game stacks up to Ocarina of Time rather than Skyward Sword. I wouldn't say IGN Nintendo wants to get OOT off its pedastal, but I would say that IGN Nintendo is aching for a game to jump on top of OOT and that's biasing their views somewhat.

I know what they said about TP, but they obviously changed their minds at some point. They probably did judge too quickly, like you said. But that doesn't mean they're aching for a game to beat OoT. That's silly and very assumptive. Saying what you are is as legit as the people on YouTube saying that those who voted for SS didn't play OoT as children (which screams nostalgia-blinded butthurtness).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But that doesn't mean they're aching for a game to beat OoT. That's silly and very assumptive.
There's truth to what you said, it being assumptive, but I wouldn't say it is silly. We're analyzing IGN's statements, they've made two so far. Both times, they immediately compared the newer game to the far older game and claimed it was better (can be true depending upon who you are). Since this perceived cycle hasn't really "began" so to speak, we can't make blatant statements just yet and assume them to be true...but given how IGN reacted in TP's review and then SS' review, I'd say it's accurate enough to assume they want SOME game to defeat the giant that is OoT. So, it isn't exactly silly.

Here I quote Gerren:
Seriously though, I LOVE OOT and it was an amazing breathtaking game... for its time. When you break it down SS wins in every category with only story being somewhat debatable.
No, SS doesn't win in every category as there are these things called opinions. I really do not think SS is as good as OoT. I think SS ranks almost as lowly as TP does. Others may think the opposite; they may think OoT is terribad and that SS and TP are the best the series has ever seen. No one is "wrong", but they do have their own views. :Yes:

MW7

I know what they said about TP, but they obviously changed their minds at some point. They probably did judge too quickly, like you said. But that doesn't mean they're aching for a game to beat OoT. That's silly and very assumptive. Saying what you are is as legit as the people on YouTube saying that those who voted for SS didn't play OoT as children (which screams nostalgia-blinded butthurtness).

Everyone wants the next game in the series to be the best and IGN is no different, hence they're aching for a game to beat OOT. I wasn't super clear- everyone is aching for a game to beat OOT because that would mean we have the best game ever and IGN is no different. Their lives revolve around video games; how couldn't they want that. That's as safe an assumption as the sun rising tomorrow. My example doesn't lead to the conclusion that IGN is aching for a game to beat OOT, that's just a given. I was using that given to rationalize IGN's behavior to myself because reneging on TP was initially illogical in my mind. I guess I'm just way too unrealistic by expecting them to be unbiased because they are human. The biggest difference between them and you or me when talking about games is that they get paid to analyze games.

Last edited:

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I can understand controls and bosses.

Story is debatable, IMO OoT has the better story.

But come on...gear??? Am i the only one who's thinking this does not feel right?
Only two items i often used in SS (as weapons) were Bow and Beetle.
- Oot had the traditional gear formula of a zelda game.
- Variety and balance between Young/Adult weapons.
- It even had 3 spells. (like medallions in Alttp)
- First introduction of magic arrows (ice arrows ruled)
- Big *** Longsword
- Tunics
- We even had masks and a pocked cucco (blue one too).
- Pickachu + Bomb = suicide bommer pikachu... A.K.A Bombchu
- Boots with wingz and metal
- Don't forget those sweet gauntlets

What did SS had? We had whip and a blowing jar.
You found whip and jar?
u MUST use whip and jar!
Whole temple is about whip and jar
Because we cannot rotate things without whip and jar.
Whip and jar is the awnser to everything! ...right IGN o rant?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
But come on...gear??? Am i the only one who's thinking this does not feel right?
Only two items i often used in SS (as weapons) were Bow and Beetle.
- Oot had the traditional gear formula of a zelda game.
- Variety and balance between Young/Adult weapons.
- It even had 3 spells. (like medallions in Alttp)
- First introduction of magic arrows (ice arrows ruled)
- Big *** Longsword
- Tunics
- We even had masks and a pocked cucco (blue one too).
- Pickachu + Bomb = suicide bommer pikachu... A.K.A Bombchu
- Boots with wingz and metal
- Don't forget those sweet gauntlets

What did SS had? We had whip and a blowing jar.
You found whip and jar?
u MUST use whip and jar!
Whole temple is about whip and jar
Because we cannot rotate things without whip and jar.
Whip and jar is the awnser to everything! ...right IGN o rant?

I'm pretty sure you'd be complaining about some of the items in OoT if they were to be introduced today. It's hard to look back on an old item that wasn't cool but wasn't uncool and harp on it. You're also not giving enough credit to SS's items. The way they were used was tremendous and non-stop. Only the Whip was scarcely used, but even it found its way back into the game enough to not be considered a throw-away item. The way the items were used in SS is far superior than they were in OoT. I mean, really, some Iron Boots were used to sink. Ok, that's cool, but is it something worth being called innovative? Not really. An innovative use of the Iron Boots was in the Goron Mines in TP when they went all magnetic on those blue surfaces. That's the kind of thing SS did with its items. It took them and used them in textbook "outside the box" ways. That's what makes them better.

MW7

I'm pretty sure you'd be complaining about some of the items in OoT if they were to be introduced today. It's hard to look back on an old item that wasn't cool but wasn't uncool and harp on it. You're also not giving enough credit to SS's items. The way they were used was tremendous and non-stop. Only the Whip was scarcely used, but even it found its way back into the game enough to not be considered a throw-away item. The way the items were used in SS is far superior than they were in OoT. I mean, really, some Iron Boots were used to sink. Ok, that's cool, but is it something worth being called innovative? Not really. An innovative use of the Iron Boots was in the Goron Mines in TP when they went all magnetic on those blue surfaces. That's the kind of thing SS did with its items. It took them and used them in textbook "outside the box" ways. That's what makes them better.

I would agree that item by item Skyward Sword's usage of items blew Ocarina of Time out of the water. I just prefer to have a large arsenal with plenty of optional things. Sorry to bring it up in this thread, but skipping items is similar to nonlinearity. Figuring out how to progress through Ocarina of Time without some items was most of the fun of the items for me, not actually using them. For instance completing the game without the Lens of Truth was a blast for me as was figuring out how to beat the game without the Fire Arrows.

Skyward Sword did have the massive disadvantage of being later in the series (meaning most of the good ideas have already been done) but somehow managed to use multiple items very cleverly (rolling bombs for instance). Most of Ocarina of Time's items were just the same items as in the 2d games in 3d. Still I prefer them.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Both are tremendous, but one satisfies me more over the other.

This would be Skyward Sword. Originally Zelda games made the players think and then follow through with their thought process, but although SS does this it improves on that. Through the use of motion controls we now have far more options available to us, and I'll admit they're much smoother when aiming at something. While holding a button and directing, say, the bow and arrow at whatever the target, just pointing the Wiimote is much simpler. Enemies now are much harder than previous titles, Ocarina of Time right at the forefront. When fighting the motion controls are not an issue; the way I swing them is. I could keep lashing out to the left as a Bokoblin blocks it, but that doesn't help any. So instead I attack from the right and end him with his guard lowered. With all that in mind it seems I'm in even more control, than ever before. Nintendo created a huge triumph that should've received more attention. It's just as innovative as OoT, if not more. And even if some of the Dungeons are perplexing--my biggest complaint--I'm still glad it has me look and perceive for myself the solution to a puzzle or the means of defeating a foe.

I think this discussion would be almost the same if it were Alttp vs OoT at the time OoT came out, just think about it, it could be applied to the music, the items, the story, the hype, how each of them were a revolution, how "OoT tried to be ALttP" and many other things

Oh and I voted equal

Din'sFlame

Sizzlin'
As much as I love Skyward Sword, I don't think I can replace Ocarina of Time with it.

OoT was my first Zelda game mainly because I was born a year before it came out and I watched my older brother play it for years. I mainly play the 3d Titles, but I have played most of the original LoZ.

I think SS was great, I really enjoyed it. The controls were great, I loved the bosses, dungeons, and puzzles, but you can't beat the original. Even though Oot wasn't the first Zelda game, it was a revolutionary game, and I consider it to be the best. I've beaten it about 8 times, and it is the one Zelda game that I can play over and over again.

But I did cast my video vote for SS because of the story and... one of the other choices, I can't remember. I do know that I voted 2 for SS and 2 for Oot.

I think that OoT still has it's place. As great as other Zelda games have been, they just can't beat OoT, in my opinion. I consider the game be perfect, even though it does have it's flaws. I loved the items, the temples, the dungeons, and the overall adventure.

Skyward Sword was great game itself, but Ocarina of Time can't be beat.

Ocarina of Time is just beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom