• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Mystery of The Happy Mask Salesman

Ganondork

goo
Seeing as though this thread has been necro posted in three times now, I'm just going to put up the the article version.
It contains more canon and edited information. Alongside it, it also contains revised theories, alongside an entire other one, and multiple other quotes. I'll keep the original thread up, but the article is much better.

Throughout Majora’s Mask, you are face-to-face with an interesting character; the Happy Mask Salesman. Your knowledge of him through the entire game is very slim, and he seems to show more evil than he does good. In the coming paragraphs I will show both the good – and the evil.

Whenever you first meet him, you are recently turned into a Deku Scrub by Skull Kid – who is wearing Majora’s Mask. He says quote:

Happy Mask Salesman said:
If you can get back the precious item that was stolen from you, I will return you to normal. In exchange all I ask is that you also get my precious mask that the imp stole from me.

Sounds like a fair trade, is it not? So of course, you do retrieve the item that was stolen from you – the Ocarina of Time – and he turns you back to normal. But that’s all the good he does.

When he realizes you don’t have Majora’s Mask, he grew angry saying quote:
Don't tell me… My mask… You did... Get it back... Didn't you? What have you done to me!!! If you leave my mask out there, something terrible will happen!

This is not normal behavior, about a few seconds ago, he was very calm. He even taught you a song that restores you to normal – and saves multiple other people. Is this truly how he is, or is this all an act? I will talk more about that later.

His most interesting quote is:
You have met a terrible fate, haven’t you?

He not only says this when he first meets Deku Link, but also when the Moon crashes down on Termina, followed by laughter – presumably his own. It is abnormal for a person to say something and laugh when a Moon crashed on the entire land he has lived in for a while. This means that the Happy Mask Salesman doesn’t actually die when the Moon crashes.

The first thing that starts “The Three Day Timer” is The Happy Mask Salesman saying quote:
Except... The one thing is... I'm a very busy fellow... And I must leave this place in three days. How grateful I would be if you could bring it back to me before my time here is up...

What he doesn’t tell you though, is that at the exact same time that he is going to leave, the Moon crashes down and kills everyone – except for him. Aside from that fact, while you’re out doing that, he remains inside the Clock Tower. He said he was busy, but why is he not out selling masks? He’s a Mask Salesman after all and surely at least one person would like to buy a mask from him for the upcoming Festival – which is cut short due to the Moon.

The next question is how does he know so much about Majora’s Mask? He says quote:
The mask that was stolen from me... It is called Majora's Mask. It is an accursed item from legend that is said to have been used by an ancient tribe in its hexing rituals. It is said that an evil and wicked power is bestowed upon the one who wears that mask. According to legend... the trouble by Majora’s Mask was so great...

It then shows a scene very similar to the scene of the Moon crashing down on Termina. Then he continues, saying quote:
The ancient ones, fearing such catastrophe, sealed the mask in shadow forever, preventing its misuse. But now, that tribe from the legend has vanished, so no one really knows the true nature of the mask's power...

He knows so much about the Mask, but he says that the Ancient Ones – also called the Dark Tribe – vanished. So how would he know? This means that he is probably a descendant of the Ancient Ones…

It isn’t uncommon in the Zelda series to have a character that pretends to be something he actually isn’t. One of my favorite examples is the ex-thief in A Link to the Past, shown here:

LttP_img_Bottle-06.PNG

(Click the picture to enlarge. He is the man behind Link with the black hair)

Is it really that outlandish to imagine a character that pretends to be a Mask Salesman, but actually is a descendant of the Dark Tribe who wants to make Majora’s Mask known again? This is probably a case of wanting to be remembered for doing something extraordinary. Bringing back a cursed mask would definitely be historical, but he did it in the wrong way. He took into account that if he wore the mask himself, he would have gone insane and had no control over what he did next, so he gave it to Skull Kid. From there, Majora ran his course using Skull Kid like a puppet and trying to bring the Moon down into Termina like he had done so long ago.

The Happy Mask Salesman realized that he wouldn’t be able to stick around when the Moon crashed down, so he knew he had to escape quickly. Simply running wouldn’t do it of course, so disappearing in thin air – probably an ability of the Dark Tribe – was the best escape route.

I'm sure you'll find it right away.

Is what the Happy Mask Salesman tells you when he asks for the Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. However, you wouldn’t expect him to mean literally “right away”. When you retrieve the Ocarina of Time, he’s hardly surprised that you seem to have just walked out the Clock tower, and right back in with the Ocarina of Time. It’s as if he actually knows the capabilities of the Ocarina of Time.

As I said earlier, I will continue upon how he’s acting when he freaked out when you came back without Majora’s Mask. As I said earlier, I don’t believe him to be a Mask Salesman. I think he has owned Majora’s Mask since the disappearance of the Dark Tribe and waited for an easy target for a plan to fulfill whatever motivation it is that he may have. Finally setting his eyes on Skull Kid, he more than likely pretended to drop the Mask by accident and Skull Kid picked it up. Curious to try on the mask, he was overtaken by Majora and proceeded to do Majora’s – and the Happy Mask Salesman’s – bidding.

Now, before anyone says anything about him being a Mask Salesman in Ocarina of Time, I firmly believe that this Happy Mask Salesman is Termina’s mirrored character – much like Twinrova’s mirrored version is Koume and Kotake. It’s definitely the case because Ocarina of Time’s was much less mysterious and quite like he was in Majora’s Mask.

Thank you for reading this extensive theory on the Happy Mask Salesman, and I hope I raised a few eyebrows. Please feel free to discuss below.

Last edited:

crazeh navi

Guardian of Equestria
Well, you have a few good points, but you fail to remember that he didn't DROP Majora's Mask; the Skull Kid MUGGED him. I think what's more likely (but still trying to keep with your theory of him being a descendant of the Dark Tribe) is that he, being taught the details of the Mask, realized it should not be used, and took it to keep it safe from causing harm to others. As for him laughing all the time, well...he's happy all the time, so...yeah.

I haven't played all of Majora's Mask, but I'll give my two cents:

The Happy Mask Salesman is a very creepy fellow indeed. You made many good points about how he may be pretending to be something he's not, and how he knows so much about Majora's Mask. He seems to know a lot about the mask. Perhaps the previous owner told him about it?

As to him staying in the Clock Tower the whole time. I'm assuming that's because he knows he can reach Hyrule through there and therefore will not die when the moon falls. Basically, he's a coward that won't do any of the dirty work. Technically, in Ocarina of Time he's not even a mask salesman. He rents them out to Link and Link becomes the salesman. He does none of the selling. It raises the question: Does he want Termina to be saved, or does he just want his mask back?

Maybe he just new all that stuff to be the method through which Nintendo tells the backstory of Majora's Mask. In that case, it's just for the purpose of the game and not an actual story element. We'll never know. I haven't played all of Majora's Mask, but I can confidently say that the Happy Mask Salesman is one creepy dude. He tremendously adds to the mysterious feel of Majora's Mask. Nintendo did a great job with this character. He felt somewhat like an antagonist, but you had to help him to save Termina. But I digress, he was a very mysterious character, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Actually, the Happy Mask Salesman in MM is indeed the same one from OoT. He says "I own the Happy Mask Shop..." to Deku Link, and there is no Happy Mask Shop in Termina. And, there's an easter egg in OoT 3D where all the masks on the Salesman's backpack are on display on shelves to the side inside the shop. It's also directly stated that he was mugged by the Skull Kid. It even showed a cutscene of it when Tatl saw that picture he drew on that tree. So he definitely didn't just drop it for the Skull Kid to find.

Anyway, this is actually something that could be turned into an article. I highly suggest you do so.

Last edited:
K

Kieran-

All I realized about the Happy Mask Shop Guy person, is that when you get sucked into the moon, the 5 kids are him when he was younger. I dunno if that helps but it's a random statement! :P

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
All I realized about the Happy Mask Shop Guy person, is that when you get sucked into the moon, the 5 kids are him when he was younger. I dunno if that helps but it's a random statement! :P

Hmm... Interesting how nobody's touched on this yet. The fact that the children look like the Happy Mask Salesman actually seems to spell that he's more than just a simple character. Like he's some kind of entity, a presence with the image of a salesman for a physical manifestation... OR that's what I get from it, at least.

Whether his purposes are pure (for lack of a better word) is up for debate, though. As Ganondork said in the OP, the behavior he displays is suspicious. This bit, especially:

Is what the Happy Mask Salesman tells you when he asks for the Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. However, you wouldn’t expect him to mean literally “right away”. When you retrieve the Ocarina of Time, he’s hardly surprised that you seem to have just walked out the Clock tower, and right back in with the Ocarina of Time. It’s as if he actually knows the capabilities of the Ocarina of Time.

Well, I guess this one could be taken several ways: On one side, he could have used "right away" as some kind of manner of speech. I mean, he probably just meant "I know you'll have no problem doing it". You know, for encouragement, just like he later goes "Believe in yourself. Believe...". On the other side, though, he might have meant it more literally. I guess that's a bit too vague to be a point, honestly.

I don't think he could be a descendant of the dark tribe, but I DO think he could be related in some way. If you remember, it's one of the kids that play on the moon who gives you the Fierce Deity Mask (and the one that uses Majora's Mask no less). I think the masks are different sides of the same entity, and conflicting sides at that, which the Happy Mask Salesman could represent. He's definitely too involved into the whole "end of the world" deal (he happens to leave the very same day that the moon falls) and knows too much about the mask. He has to be involved beyond just simple business.

And remember, that's just my take on it.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
When you time travel for the first time, he sees that you have the Ocarina of Time, but not the mask. Thing is, he already met Link before the 3 day trial began, so would that count? And, as mentioned, HMS didn't seem suprised with Link (in his eyes... considering he has them o.o) walk in and out of the Clock Tower and retrieved the Ocarina of Time. Also, he doesn't talk about the MM when you walk back into the Clock Tower hen you time travel for the 2nd time or over.

Plus, there was the HMS absence in the AT in OoT. However, he is seen at the ceremony, which is saw before Link puts the MS back in the Pedestal. We pretty much saw everyone else such as the romantic couple, Bazaar and etc, but not HMS. It is obvious that he went to Termina when Link was asleep, therefore destroying Termina in 3 days. It is a bit obvious he escaped, but I am sure if you walk into the Clock Tower at whatever time on whatever day, he still awaits.

Also, quoting Zeldapedia:
"The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, he gives Link many subtle hints that he may be more than a common collector of masks."

Oh, and it is quite possible that his descendants owned the Mask. He is also in OoA playing a role similiar in OoT

M

Majora Deity

I agree with just about every point Ganondork made.
Just a quick side note. (Im sure we all know Vaati from Minish Cap.) HMS and Vaati have the same Laugh. So the Theory of HMS being some sort of entity of the Dark Tribe seems possible.
But I question this being that Minsh Cap and Majora's Mask are very different and considering where they belong placed on a Zelda Timeline...but Im getting off topic. Please excuse my rudeness.
Happy Mask Salesman is a Mysterious Character whos true purpose makes me think time and time again.
The Song of Healing for example. A Melody that Heals Troubled Spirits and Lingering Regreats turning them into Mask Im sure it will be of assistance to you in the future. Ah yes I give you this MASK in commenration of this Day fear not for the magic has been sealed inside the Mask. Ok with this being said. How does this (Supposingly) Simple Mask Salesmen Know of such a Powerful Melody? In his Travels MM was Stolen...but during those travels does the previous owner of MM teach him this song..but again like the Legend stated...The Ancient Ones have 1.Fanished and 2.Sealed the Mask away fearing Horrible Catastrophe. So if the Mask was Sealed away wouldn't that mean that the HMS is a Decendent of the Tribe?? Plus with the OoT If Link Did the 3 day cycle/got the precious item back..In the HMS Eyes he walked out...5 sec. later walks back in. With No Question and right away turns you to Human Link. So he must know of the power....but the OoT is a treasure of the Royal Family..and HMS is just a traveling salesmen (I personally don't believe this). Plus his Behavior. Bi-Polar? Or is there no logical explanation for this. Idk really.. and he went through great lengths to get the legendary Mask. what was his real purpose for wanting it so badly? he never wears it but then again he knew what would of happened if he did. The Lunar Children. 5 in all and 5 with a Deity Mask upon their face. They Seem to Have Personalitys Like the Skull Kid..but Why exactly do they want masks? they want Link to be a Mask Salesmen and sell his 20 Happy Masks. And the Lunar Children seem to question Friendship and Others emotions such as happiness. Your Face...behind the mask...I wonder..is that...your..True Face? The HMS never wears masks. I wonder why? After All he is a Mask salesmen so it would make sense to wear some every now and again. To close my theory/questions up or to summaraize. HMS is Either A.A Bi-Polor Mask Salesmen with the intentions of just wanting what was stolen from him. 2.a dark tribe entity or decindent. 3.Vaati?!?! 4.A Mastermind with Knowlege of many Treasures/Secrets,With a Plan so Detailed and Amazing it'd blow your **** outta the Pot... o.0 5.a total badass. with a creepy mask. Im sorry if what I say made no sense or if all I really did was Question after Questiion. But anyways thats my opinions on this matter.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Good theorizing, GD. I had felt for a while now that the Happy Mask Salesman was more malovolent than he was letting on. Why would he go to such great lengths to get the mask even though he knew how dangerous it was? Maybe it's like you said, he just wanted to make his mark on history. Maybe he just wanted to 'stir things up a bit". Or maybe he knew Link would somehow get caught up in this and he wanted to test Link's strength as the Hero of Time. One thing's certain: the Happy Mask Salesman will always be shrouded in mystery.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
Hmm... I've never really thought of the mask salesman as an antagonist. Afterall, he does help you at the beggining. Plus, I'm pretty sure that this mask salesman is from Hyrule, seeing as how he was on his travels and attacked by Skull Kid in HYRULE. Most of the points you made seem like they would make sense, but there are some things I dissagree with you on.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I agree with just about every point Ganondork made.
Just a quick side note. (Im sure we all know Vaati from Minish Cap.) HMS and Vaati have the same Laugh. So the Theory of HMS being some sort of entity of the Dark Tribe seems possible.

Many sounds from the N64 games are in MC. For example, Link has the same voice as that of OoT and MM. Them using that creepy laugh of the Mask Salesman was simply because it's, well, creepy and fit Vaati pretty nicely.

Keyari

翼のエルフ
This is very well theorized. It makes a lot of sense. With the Dark Tribe and all, I believe he is a descendant of that tribe. And it could make sense that the Mask Salesman is a mirrored version of the Happy Mask Salesman of MM. He seemed very calm in Ocarina of Time, never really getting all angry and creepy like he did in Majora's Mask. It makes perfect sense.

One slight flaw, is that Skull Kid mugged the Happy Mask Salesman. He didn't drop the mask purposefully for Skull Kid to pick up.

Instead of this, a better theory that I suggest that relates better with the story of Majora's Mask, is that maybe The Happy Mask Salesman saw Skull Kid as he was traveling back to Termina. His plan for becoming written into history, bringing back the legends of the Ancient Ones- or the Dark Tribe- with him, came to be when Skull Kid came to his view. He could have purposefully gone past him to show that he had items of Skull Kid's want. Thusly, he could be purposefully trying to get Skull Kid to take Majora by mugging him, and then Majora would do it's and the Mask Salesman's plans. But that is just a suggestive theory.

Otherwise, I think you have all other parts of this listed correctly. This is an excellent theory! Great job my friend. Keep up the great work. ;)

~Ki

B

Brendan

Well i read somewhere that shigeru miyamoto was suppose to be the idea of the happy mask salesman because of his wisdom so i think you may be over thinking this a bit.

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
When on the moon, you see what could possibly be younger versions of the Happy Mask Saleman. I personally don't believe he is a real person in both Majora's Mask or in Ocarina of Time. He always struck me more as an entity. My theory is that he is a phyisical representation of Majora itself. (Is Majora a he or a she?) He is always too happy, even smiling somewhat when angry. It's just not human. Mabye my years in RPGs have betrade me. but the Happy Mask Saleman is Majora in the phyiscal (or visible) realm.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
So, I could have posted this in the disscusion part of the orginal that Ganondork posted,but people don't care to much about looking at thread that have been dug up again,so I'm going to post it as a individual thread.
Also please read the orginal one that Ganondork posted here is a link so you all don't have to dig for it-
http//ZeldaDungeon.Net/Forum/showthread.php?21761-the-mystery-of-the-happy-mask-salesman&p=320702

Allright,to begin I want to give credit to Ganondork,If he hadn't made that thread to begin with I never would be writing this.

So,I agree with what Ganondork said,but here is what I think.The happy mask salesman was a part of the tribe mentioned,he wanted to bring that tribe back together.So he wanted to use Majora's mask in hopes of bringing the tribe back to power.So he went to terminia and saw skull kid,skull kid mugged him but the happy mask salesman being powerful in magic could have stopped skull kid,he knew that it was a perfect chance to bring majora back,so he went along with it.His plan was in place,but he didn't count on link getting involved.so he sends link out on a quest he thought link probally would die doing,hoping to get him out the picture.he than starts the three day limit at which in 3 days the moon will fall but he doesn't tell link that.as we all know link survives and the natural course of the game goes on and than the happy mask salesman gets Majora's mask back.Link leaves terminia but never gets back to hyrule.I think the happy mask salesman may have killed link in a attempt to get rid of him so he couldn't ruin his plans to bring back his tribe.

Thats all I hope you all enjoy,once again I thank Ganondork for making a thread that I could expand a little more on.

What!!! Why didn't the link work right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom