• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Puzzle Keys

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I have no idea if someone's made a similar topic, but I didn't see it on the first page, sooo...

While I am enjoying this game very much, I have found one thing in it that I *NEVER* want to see again in a Zelda title.

The Goddessdamned puzzle-keys.

I'm talking about the little golden puzzles that you have to manipulate with the wii-mote to insert into the locks! Gaaaaah! It seems like they take me forever to get them just right, plus, at that point, I've gone through the dungeon, I've fought monsters and did all kinds of puzzles just to get there - I just want a Big Key to go fight the big monster, dangit! I don't *want* to stand there forever manipulating a puzzle.

I'm sure the people at Nintendo thought it was clever, but for me, it's un-fun.

Does anyone feel the same way I do about them?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I do as well, they're an unneeded obstacle placed for the sake of "innovation", so that fans can say yay and hopefully newcomers can vote for them as well. They ARE a bit realistic and in that sense can be seen as fun; not every single dungeon in the world activates just because you found the key – one would have to manipulate the key to fit into the keyhole!

Still, despite that, I don't want to see them return in another Zelda ever again, not even as a cameo or a hat-tipping to SS.

EDIT: I was a bit too harsh. The keys were obstacles and slightly annoying, but the concept behind them is rather nice. If Nintendo could improve them just a bit (don't know how they would though), a reappearance is likely and I'd support it!

Last edited:
I really liked the boss key puzzle segments. I found them to be really neat. There could have been less in the game, but overall, they were not THAT bad, in my opinion. I hope they return in some form in the future...

MW7

Sorry but I loved them. I wouldn't be mad or anything if they never reappeared though. Like Night Owl said- maybe an optional minigame? The Zelda series definitely needs to include more optional things and less required things IMO.

I liked it quite alot to be honest, kind of an upgrade for just getting the key and the door goes up. No big deal though.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Yes I do agree it hurt my wrist. But, I am very good at puzzles so I had no problem solving them. I actually hope Nintendo continues this.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it's one of the MANY things in the game that would be fine if we could use the control stick to use. they were an OK puzzle but the motion controls got in the way, like with Loftwing control and swimming

G

Gerren

You realize you can let go of A and regrab the cube right? It really shouldn't hurt your wrist or anything. I personally liked the new mechanic a lot.

R

Ressei

I loved those new key puzzles. The only one that really challenged me was the 3rd one, though. ANd, for the ones that didn't like it, maybe one thing that could be done to improve it was that, if one takes some pre-defined time to solve the puzzle, Fi would give you some hints to solve it. After all, it can be frustrating to solve all the dungeon puzzles and get stuck with a key and a door...

I like that the new boss keys are now more distinguished from the normal keys. No offense but you're over-exaggerating. It takes no more than a minute to fit the key in the hole and its not even a boring minute. It's nothing special but it's a nice small change.

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
Honestly, I liked the puzzle keys.
I won't go into details why-- I just-- do.

It's always fun to just hold the 'A' button without letting go and try to fit it into the keyhole. Not sure if it would be more tedious to do, but for me, that method was a blast, even hilarious at times

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom