• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Are the Names of Some of the Dungeons Odd?

MW7

First off this is such a minor issue that it doesn't affect how I feel about the game at all, but the first two dungeons just seem completely misnamed IMO. Maybe I'm missing something but sky is about the fourth thing I think of when I try to fit a theme on that temple. First I think of forest because it's in a forest, then water (water played a big role in the first part of the temple), then no theme because nothing really sticks out about the temple, and then sky because you have to walk a tightrope and swing across chasms at the end. Also the thing that confused me most is that the bird statue right outside the temple calls the area "Forest Temple." Was Skyview just an arbitrary name picked to avoid complaints that this game starts with a forest dungeon like OOT, MM, or TP? That's the only explanation I can think of that makes sense to me, but please let me know what you think.

Secondly the Earth Temple almost seems like they just picked the name of an element out of a hat. Upon entering the dungeon all you see is red from all the fire. Is it called the Earth Temple because it's supposed to be in a volcano? Even so I think fire makes more sense. Once again I think they were trying to differentiate this game from Ocarina and Twilight Princess (both of which had fire as the theme of the second dungeon). I'm not saying that the fact that Skyward Sword starts with Forest, Fire.. bothers me, but it does bother me a little that it seems like Nintendo is trying to hide that fact with the names of the dungeons. Maybe I'm just way off though. Every other dungeon seemed perfectly named to me but the first two just stuck out to me.

Also I have a second question. How does everyone feel about how the game had fairly unique themes for dungeons and in some cases put multiple themes together, is this better than the old style from OOT where dungeons had a single overarching theme? I loved how the dungeons in this game didn't feel super generic (i.e. only forest, fire, water etc.). Skyview seemed like kind of a themeless dungeon (or had little elements of different kinds of themes) which makes it unique in its own right. The Earth Temple and Fire Sanctuary were the only two dungeons that seemed to have a general theme and both of them were fire. Lanayru Mining Facility had mechanical/desert/time themes simultaneously which was really cool. Ancient Cistern pulled off water/undead themes very well IMO. The sandship's pirate theme I loved as well and this dungeon had a time theme as well. Sky Keep was a mix of all the rest of the themes which is a good idea for a final dungeon. I hope we see dungeons like these in the future.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I said it somewhere before, I think the dungeon names in the English version are as they are because NoA has apparently been very creative with their names this time around. I have the German version and all names of the original Japanese version I know of are translated/romanized almost 1:1 in our version, some examples: (spoiler tags to keep things organised)
Fi = Phai (JP: Fai)
Faron = Phirone (JP: Firone)
Groose = Bado (JP: Bado)
Beedle = Terri (JP: Terī)
Ancient Cistern = Ancient Cave Sanctuary (Japanese has something like "Big Ancient Stone Cave/Grotto") => no reference to water.
Fire Sanctuary = Big Ancient Sanctuary (JP version very similar) => no reference to fire.
Kikwi = Kyu (JP: Kyui)
and so on...
Therefore I'm assuming that the same is true for other places and names.
Now the Skyview Temple has the same in German (lit. "Temple of the view of the sky/skyview"), but the Earth Temple is called "Temple of the Earth land" (as in "surface land"). So I think that those two temples were meant to contrast/complement each other story-wise (think of the two springs) and the names reflect that, and I don't think the names were meant to describe the dungeon's theme (if that were true they simply would've called them Forest temple and Fire Temple in all versions).
This continues into your second point, with dungeons heaving mixed/new/indistinct themes, so i think the names shouldn't give away the dungeon's themes so you'll get a surprise when you go into the dungeon or even in the middle of it (Ancient Cistern). Of course I like how they mixed up things, it gives the game a fresh feeling.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I personally feel ike NoA just put those names to 'differentiate' between SS and OoT/TP.

I liked the multiple themed dungeons. If anything, Nintendo needs to continue that because of how well they've proven it can be done. The only thing I say no to is Sky Keep's theme and layout – a final dungeon should have its own, unique theme rather than "hmm..copypasta por favor?". Also, puzzle dungeons like that only serve to annoy people. Not that it is a bad thing, but Sky Keep turned me off.

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
Sky View Temple probably most likely refers to Zelda's Task there (bathing in the spring)

Earth Temple is probably based on Magma/Lava it isn't fire it is super heated liquid rock.

A Cistern is a water storage however it may differ as said in the JAP versions, I personally liked how they mixed it up.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I personally feel ike NoA just put those names to 'differentiate' between SS and OoT/TP.

I liked the multiple themed dungeons. If anything, Nintendo needs to continue that because of how well they've proven it can be done. The only thing I say no to is Sky Keep's theme and layout – a final dungeon should have its own, unique theme rather than "hmm..copypasta por favor?". Also, puzzle dungeons like that only serve to annoy people. Not that it is a bad thing, but Sky Keep turned me off.

Yeah, even though I liked the Sky Keep, I still think that aLttP had the best final dungeon in the series yet. Although it used many elements from previous dungeons (like the wallmaster from the Skull Woods or the ice from the Ice Palace), it somehow had its own theme, and be it just the sheer massive size of it, and didn't feel as separated sections/stages as the final dungeons in OoT, WW and SS (and to some extent MM's moon, but this was optional) felt. I want them to make a massive final dungeon again where you have to use all your abilities and items in clever puzzles and in an intertwined way. Stone Tower Temple came closest to that for me, although in a new Zelda game with a dedicated final dungeon, it should be even bigger than that, maybe 10 floors or so. Oh, how I can't wait for Zelda U!

MW7

Yeah, even though I liked the Sky Keep, I still think that aLttP had the best final dungeon in the series yet. Although it used many elements from previous dungeons (like the wallmaster from the Skull Woods or the ice from the Ice Palace), it somehow had its own theme, and be it just the sheer massive size of it, and didn't feel as separated sections/stages as the final dungeons in OoT, WW and SS (and to some extent MM's moon, but this was optional) felt. I want them to make a massive final dungeon again where you have to use all your abilities and items in clever puzzles and in an intertwined way. Stone Tower Temple came closest to that for me, although in a new Zelda game with a dedicated final dungeon, it should be even bigger than that, maybe 10 floors or so. Oh, how I can't wait for Zelda U!

I couldn't agree more. I loved Sky Keep, especially the fact that the dungeon itself is a puzzle, but only 8 areas/rooms is disappointing. It's amazing how ALTTP is 20 years old and still has the most dungeons of any game in the series and has the best final dungeon. ALLTP's final dungeon had 61 rooms and was a terror to complete. Sky Keep has 8 "areas" (some have multiple rooms), the first of which you just get the map, and you don't even have to enter every room to complete it. So you're getting challenged in probably 6 different areas that aren't that long to begin with. I think Sky Keep was the only dungeon in the game that took me less than an hour to complete, and I think that's not a good quality for a final dungeon.

I like the idea that skyview temple and earth temple are named to show a contrast. Also Yuuki's idea shows that maybe Nintendo was just being literal with their definition of earth at least (I completely overlooked/forgot that lava really is earth). I really wish I knew what was going on in Nintendo of America's head when they were naming these places. These are some great theories though.

Also I didn't think about how some of the dungeons' names effectively hide some aspects of the dungeons as you mentioned in your other post. I had no idea what to expect in the next room of some of the dungeons. The best surprise was probably Ancient Cistern, but Skyview had me fooled as well. I was thinking, "If sky is in the name, why am I raising the water level- this isn't the Water Temple in OOT. What am I going to have to do next?" It made the dungeons very interesting.

To be honest, I didn't even pay attention to the dungeon names. I was just more interested in playing through them. I'm sure that'll change in repeated play throughs though.

I'll agree the two temple names are odd, but not really off. There's nothing wrong with them, they're just strange. People complained about the Earth Temple in The Wind Waker, but it was more about diving into the earth, so the theme still worked. The same is true of the Earth Temple in Skyward Sword, and as blubb pointed out, it's likely supposed to have to do with the contrast between sky and earth. Another thing here is the fact that you're assuming the dungeons are actually named after their central concepts, or that they should be. Temples are important spiritual places; a church is actually a temple. You don't see churches called things like Jesus Temple, or Allah Temple, or Pray On Sunday Temple, or Donation Temple. No, churches and other places of worship have actual names.

"Skyview" is obviously a name, not a literal description of what the area contains. "Earth" is likely the same. Both names make sense as names, because Skyview Temple is located high in the forest, looking over the sky, with open-topped rooms in many parts, and the Earth Temple is located in the earth. You mentioned the Bird Statue labeled as "Forest Temple", but that bird statue is not within Skyview Temple. It's outside a temple, within a forest. It's like the other Bird Statues having names like "Forest Entry". Technically when you find that statue, you've just found the dungeon but have yet to enter it. You're not supposed to know that it's called Skyview Temple yet, so it's just the "Forest Temple", because that's literally what it is, a temple in a forest.

Also I have a second question. How does everyone feel about how the game had fairly unique themes for dungeons and in some cases put multiple themes together, is this better than the old style from OOT where dungeons had a single overarching theme? I loved how the dungeons in this game didn't feel super generic (i.e. only forest, fire, water etc.). Skyview seemed like kind of a themeless dungeon (or had little elements of different kinds of themes) which makes it unique in its own right. The Earth Temple and Fire Sanctuary were the only two dungeons that seemed to have a general theme and both of them were fire. Lanayru Mining Facility had mechanical/desert/time themes simultaneously which was really cool. Ancient Cistern pulled off water/undead themes very well IMO. The sandship's pirate theme I loved as well and this dungeon had a time theme as well. Sky Keep was a mix of all the rest of the themes which is a good idea for a final dungeon. I hope we see dungeons like these in the future.
I loved this aspect of Skyward Sword, but I don't think it's correct that Ocarina of Time did differently. The Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time had a lot more going on in it than just forests, as did the Fire, Water, Shadow, and Spirit Temples. The dungeons had basic names, but the actual innards of the area expanded off it quite a bit, with some more than others. Skyward Sword's just taken it farther. I liked it that there were only two "temples" in SS though. :lol:

btw, blubb, I liked your post a lot. I didn't have a lot to say in response to it, but you brought up some interesting points. :yes:

I couldn't agree more. I loved Sky Keep, especially the fact that the dungeon itself is a puzzle, but only 8 areas/rooms is disappointing.
What about the Earth Temple, which only had 4 rooms? It's not about the room count (especially in Skyward Sword), but about the amount of content. I spent a long time in the Sky Keep to be honest. I don't know if it was the same for you or not. Bottom line is, combining the dense rooms of the Sky Keep, with the puzzle of trying to rearrange it, and then going to the final battle afterwards, I think it was a perfectly adequate finale to the game.

Well if I recall correctly, Skyview had alot of bird architecture throughout the dungeon. It was also probably created to protect the sacred spring, which would be the first place the goddess reincarnated would travel to after falling from the heavens. So the place has its connections to the sky.

As for the Earth Temple, it was most likely created to protect the Earth Spring, which did not have anything to do with fire. It may have gotten it's name from there.

MW7

I loved this aspect of Skyward Sword, but I don't think it's correct that Ocarina of Time did differently. The Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time had a lot more going on in it than just forests, as did the Fire, Water, Shadow, and Spirit Temples. The dungeons had basic names, but the actual innards of the area expanded off it quite a bit, with some more than others. Skyward Sword's just taken it farther. I liked it that there were only two "temples" in SS though. :lol:
Yes that's true. The Forest Temple especially was multi-faceted but nearly all of them had some other elements in them. It wasn't the best analogy, but Skyward Sword definitely expanded this idea greatly. We did have a "sanctuary" though in addition to the two temples. One definition of sanctuary is a "consecrated place." Maybe they named fire sanctuary this way to further distinguish it from the skyview and earth temples.

What about the Earth Temple, which only had 4 rooms? It's not about the room count (especially in Skyward Sword), but about the amount of content. I spent a long time in the Sky Keep to be honest. I don't know if it was the same for you or not. Bottom line is, combining the dense rooms of the Sky Keep, with the puzzle of trying to rearrange it, and then going to the final battle afterwards, I think it was a perfectly adequate finale to the game.
It is comparing apples and oranges now that I think about it, but ALLTP's final dungeon probably still would take the average gamer much longer to complete than any other final dungeon in the series (except maybe Zelda 1 or 2's since the difficulty is so high). I was basing it off my first playthrough in which Sky Keep didn't take me as long as any other dungeon. Now that I'm halfway through hero mode I'm noticing that Sky Keep is probably nearer to the middle in terms of length for Skyward Sword dungeons. Sky Keep is definitely one of my favorite final dungeons just on the basis of it's puzzle concept alone, but I'd say it's not quite as good as ALLTP's finale or MM's if you consider Stone Tower Temple a final dungeon IMO.

Last edited:
We did have a "sanctuary" though in addition to the two temples. One definition of sanctuary is a "consecrated place." Maybe they named fire sanctuary this way to further distinguish it from the skyview and earth temples.
Yeah, that's true. To be honest you could have given the Fire Sanctuary or the Ancient Cistern "temple" names and it would have fit fine, but I appreciate them not doing that, as I think Zelda dungeons need to be a little more creative with the titling. Although with regards to the Fire Sanctuary, structurally I didn't think it resembled a temple that much. I know that sounds odd in a series where temples resemble towards and fortresses, but the Fire Sanctuary gave me more of a vibe of "fortress built into a mountainside". It felt like a palace or a military fortress, not a sacred place. Sanctuary could fit that term, as sanctuary can also mean "a shelter from danger or hardship", which fits a military stronghold where people would have used the fortress as a defense or civilians would have been protected.

It is comparing apples and oranges now that I think about it, but ALLTP's final dungeon probably still would take the average gamer much longer to complete than any other final dungeon in the series (except maybe Zelda 1 or 2's since the difficulty is so high). I was basing it off my first playthrough in which Sky Keep didn't take me as long as any other dungeon. Now that I'm halfway through hero mode I'm noticing that Sky Keep is probably nearer to the middle in terms of length for Skyward Sword dungeons. Sky Keep is definitely one of my favorite final dungeons just on the basis of it's puzzle concept alone, but I'd say it's not quite as good as ALLTP's finale or MM's if you consider Stone Tower Temple a final dungeon IMO.
I won't disagree that there are better final dungeons than the Sky Keep. I prefer Stone Tower Temple myself, and the Sky Keep is no where close to my favorite Skyward Sword dungeon. I just don't think it's bad.

Fire Dungeons

What really confused me is that there are two fire dungeons in this game but one of them sounds like it should be in a forest. This confused me because my friend was telling me the names of the dungeons and I assumed that the earth temple was in the forest. The earth temple is all fire (give or take a little...) but the fire sanctuary has only a little fire, and the rest is outside sort of like the skyveiw temple. I can see why the skyveiw temple is called what it is because some of it is outside which has a view of the sky, but if thats why Nintendo called it that, then why didnt they name the fire sanctuary that because some of the fire sanctuary is outside.
Zelda_Skyward_Sword_1028_051.jpg

yeah i thought that the temples/ dungeons had really weird names. Like skyview? Why not forest? But i guess it m,ade it more uinique

Earth Temple is so named because the interior of the earth is made of lava.

Skyview was chosen because it sounds cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom