• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler My New Timeline (still Not Finished)

Okay, I made a change to my timeline because I wasn't liking how LoZ and AoL were fitting in. So I redid the whole thing and I'm going to try placing them in relation to the other games. But I'm still running into problems. So, I'll first explain my timeline as it is, then ask how to place those two titles.
To start, here's my timeline:
.............................../-–WW/PH-–ST
SS--MC-–FS/FSA-–OoT
...............................\MM-–TP-–OoX/LA-–LttP
LoZ/AoL?
And here's what I consider in game placement:
  1. Direct references
  2. Reoccurring items and artifacts
  3. Reoccurring characters and races
Now I'll go through each game and list my reasons for placing them where I do.
Skyward Sword
  • Official statements say its first.
  • The Master Sword is forged.
  • The Triforce isn’t sealed away, as it normally is.
  • The origins of the Gust Bellows, Clawshots, and Mole Mitts are shown (Hylian Shield hinted at).
  • Gaepora is human, whereas he’s an owl in OoT.
  • Hylians referred to as "humans". Hyrule not established.
  • Gorons are nomadic.
Minish Cap
  • State of world described in backstory is most like that in SS.
  • Four Sword is forged.
  • Gust Jar and Mole Mitts in this game, where SS is the only other game with them.
  • Hyrule has a small population, despite there being no monsters to kill anyone.
  • Gorons are still nomadic.
  • Talon and Malon are in Hyrule.
  • "Wind Tribe" still lives.
Four Swords & Four Swords Adventure
  • Official statements say that FS was first when released.
  • FSA is a direct sequel to FS.
  • Ganondorf and the Gerudo Tribe in FSA. OoT is the only other game they are both in.
  • Ganondorf is proficient in tridents, which he uses in OoT, OoX, and LttP.
  • When using the Triforce to transform, Ganondorf chooses the form of a moblin, which the Trident gives him.
  • Ganondorf learns how to create Dark Link.
Ocarina of Time
  • Most remaining games reference this one.
  • Master Sword was being used as lock and key for the Triforce.
  • River Zoras live in Hyrule.
  • Gorons made their home in Death Mountain.
  • Gerudo Tribe has a tentative relationship with Hyrule.
  • Talon and Malon in Hyrule still.
  • Gaepora is an owl.
Wind Waker & Phantom Hourglass
  • WW backstory refers to OoT. The seal broke and Ganondorf went unchecked.
  • PH is a direct sequel to WW.
  • Master Sword and Triforce lost at sea.
  • Zoras "evolved" into Ritos (because evolution totally works that way).
Spirit Tracks
  • References the events of WW.
  • Some of the characters from WW and PH appear. Decedents of others appear.
Majora's Mask
  • References the events of OoT.
  • Link has some of the same equipment.
  • Dopplegangers of the characters of OoT.
Twilight Princess
  • Skyloft referred to, but is no longer populated.
  • Skyloft Clawshots return, as does the Master Sword.
  • Triforce not in the Sacred Realm!
  • Gorons still live on Death Mountain.
  • Sheikah and Gerudo Tribe both implied to be extinct.
  • The name "Impa" evolves to "Impaz".
  • Zora’s move just north of Hyrule.
Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons
  • Ganondorf's death eluded to.
  • Triforce intact and in Hyrule.
  • Master Sword appears.
  • Twinrova appear.
  • Malon and Talon are out of Hyrule.
  • Zoras and Gorons moved out of Hyrule.
Link's Awakening
  • Ganon was defeated by this Link.
  • This Link was "involved" with Zelda.
  • He went sailing to go soul searching.
Link to the Past
  • Ganondorf’s real name no longer common knowledge.
  • Master Sword used for the last time.
  • Triforce intact and sealed in the Dark World.
  • Temple of Four Swords referenced.
Now for LoZ and AoL. I've collected some information for placing these games, but a lot of it conflicts. Where should I put them?
Legend of Zelda & Adventure of Link
  • Triforce shattered, Triforce of Courage sealed away.
  • Ganon not known by his real name.
  • AoL towns have the same names as OoT characters.
  • Sleeping Zelda was the original Princess Zelda.
  • LttP a prequel to these games?
  • Impa appears, though the Sheikah aren't referenced.

Feel free to ask questions and comment on my timeline. I'd especially like some help with placing LoZ and AoL.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
(removing points I do not wish to address)
Skyward Sword
  • The Triforce isn’t sealed away, as it normally is.
  • Gorons are nomadic.
The Triforce not being sealed away would be evidence of SS going after OoT. We have to accept OoT's depiction of the Triforce being left in the Sacred Realm until Ganondorf touches it as retconned, but then turning around and using that in an argument for SS's placement is circular logic.
Gorons are nomadic in WW

Minish Cap
  • State of world described in backstory is most like that in SS.
  • Gust Jar and Mole Mitts in this game, where SS is the only other game with them.
  • Gorons are still nomadic.
  • Talon and Malon are in Hyrule.
I'd like to hear more about how the backstory is similar if you don't mind.
The whip appeared in Spirit Tracks, where SS is the only other game with it.
Gorons are nomadic in WW
Talon and Malon are not the same people throughout the timeline.

Four Swords & Four Swords Adventure
  • When using the Triforce to transform, Ganondorf chooses the form of a moblin, which the Trident gives him.
The Triforce transforms him into his true form - a pig. He had no choice.

Ocarina of Time
  • Talon and Malon in Hyrule still.
How are they still alive?

Link to the Past
  • Triforce intact and sealed in the Dark World.
I fail to see how this supports a placement after OoX.

Legend of Zelda & Adventure of Link
  • Sleeping Zelda was the original Princess Zelda.
  • Impa appears, though the Sheikah aren't referenced.
Sleeping Zelda being the first Zelda is simply impossible, looking at the continuity of the Triforce. No games containing the ToC can take place between AoL and its backstory.
Like Malon and Talon, Impa is not one recurring character. Take SS. She
disappeared at the end, presumably called back by the goddess, her task complete. Any Impa after that would be a new one.

(removing points I do not wish to address)The Triforce not being sealed away would be evidence of SS going after OoT. We have to accept OoT's depiction of the Triforce being left in the Sacred Realm until Ganondorf touches it as retconned, but then turning around and using that in an argument for SS's placement is circular logic.
Gorons are nomadic in WW
Those are already eliminated possibilities because of the Master Sword and Gaepora. Its all the points together that point to it being the first game.
We don't have to believe the sealing of the Triforce was retconned. We can assume that it just happened later.

I'd like to hear more about how the backstory is similar if you don't mind.
The monsters of SS are more aggressive and far tougher than in other Zelda games. They are also more organized and all serve under Ghirahim. Hmmm...it is a bit sketchy, so you can disregard that, if you have another possibility.

The whip appeared in Spirit Tracks, where SS is the only other game with it.
I wasn't aware of that, I haven't played through ST completely. However, I've looked at an image of that whip and its definitely completely different from the one in SS (it doesn't have a guard or the glowing ball at the end). Most likely, that whip is derived from the design of the grappling hook in WW.

Gorons are nomadic in WW
True, I should have addressed that. By the time New Hyrule is founded, the Gorons are no longer nomadic (as seen in ST).

Talon and Malon are not the same people throughout the timeline.
I do know that and should have made that clear. However, Malon and Talon only appear in a few games, thus it is likely that at some point their family left Hyrule.

The Triforce transforms him into his true form - a pig. He had no choice.
TP shows that this is not the case. With the Triforce of Power, he was able to transform into a boar/wolf hybrid. Yet with all the power of the gods, he never turns into...say...Cthulhu waring a jetpack with a shotgun-rocket-launcher and a cowboy hat. No, with one exception, its a moblin form he chooses. In the case of the Trident, it seems that he did have no choice in the matter (I haven't heard differently). He might constantly take that form because of nostalgia or the fact that he's already used to it.

How are they still alive?
Like I said before, I should have made it clear that I didn't think these were the same people from MC. I should have called the ones in MC "Malon I" and "Talon I". Thus, in OoT, they'd be "Malon II" and Talon II". In OoX, it would be "Malon III" and "Talon III". Hope I cleared up that error of mine.

I fail to see how this supports a placement after OoX.
The Master Sword is the bigger factor in this case. With the Triforce, its intact in both games at least. It also isn't sealed with the Master Sword, like in OoT. So the events of TP and OoX could reasonably lead up to the Triforce being sealed back in the Sacred Realm. Hey, maybe it already was there in OoX and Link was actually one of the people that went in there. I'm not really sure. LttP can make a few things confusing.

Sleeping Zelda being the first Zelda is simply impossible, looking at the continuity of the Triforce. No games containing the ToC can take place between AoL and its backstory.
Like Malon and Talon, Impa is not one recurring character. Take SS. She
disappeared at the end, presumably called back by the goddess, her task complete. Any Impa after that would be a new one.
So you're saying that I should consider the "original Princess Zelda" bit to be retconned? It does seem that was done with the release of LttP.

As for Impa, yes I should have clarified my thoughts on the matter. "Impa I" is in SS, its "Impa II" in OoT, "Impa III" and "Impa IV" are in OoX and LoZ/AoL, and "Impaz" in TP implies evolution to the name. Possibly, that's just the Hylian variation, but then why isn't that use from that point on? Am I just reading to much into it?

I think it is strange that you put FSA before OoT because Ganon was sealed in the Four Sword at the end. How did he break free?

i find it interesting whenever someone puts anything between SS and OoT as
SS shows the founding of hyrule
and in OoT the deku tree says that hyrule is only ten years old.
OMG SS link can easily be OoT links father!!!! le DERP!

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Pseudocide, Hyrule is not stated to be 10 years old. There was a civil war 10 years before OoT. We don't say the United States is 150 years old. The Kingdom of Hyrule existed before the war, and the result of the war was many other races aligning themselves with said kingdom.

Faedeur, LA is never "clearly stated" to follow LttP. It's just the most logical conclusion.

Pseudocide, Hyrule is not stated to be 10 years old. There was a civil war 10 years before OoT. We don't say the United States is 150 years old. The Kingdom of Hyrule existed before the war, and the result of the war was many other races aligning themselves with said kingdom.

Faedeur, LA is never "clearly stated" to follow LttP. It's just the most logical conclusion.

to text dump:

Some time ago, before the King of
Hyrule unified this country, there
was a fierce war in our world.
One day, to escape from the fires
of the war, a Hylian mother and
her baby boy entered this
forbidden forest.

before unification means before hyrule as a country.

especially since both death mountain and zora's domain are separate countries as they both have their own royal lines.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody
history of greed and hatred...
R.I.P.
Here lie the souls of those who
swore fealty to the
Royal Family of Hyrule
The Sheikah, guardians of the
Royal Family and founders of
Kakariko, watch over these spirits
in their eternal slumber.
In old times, I heard there were
many wild rabbits in the land
of Hyrule.

Here's a big one...
OK then, Link...
I'm going to tell you the secret of
the Sacred Realm that has been
passed down by the Royal Family
of Hyrule.

The Zoras come from Zora's
Domain in northeast Hyrule. An
aquatic race, they are longtime
allies of Hyrule's Royal Family.

Another big one
We Sheikah have served the
royalty of Hyrule from generation
to generation as attendants.

to text dump:

Some time ago, before the King of
Hyrule unified this country, there
was a fierce war in our world.
One day, to escape from the fires
of the war, a Hylian mother and
her baby boy entered this
forbidden forest.

before unification means before hyrule as a country.

especially since both death mountain and zora's domain are separate countries as they both have their own royal lines.
You might want to take a political science class, because that's not how it works. The Meji Revolution unified Japan, but it didn't found Japan. Also, SS proved that the term "Hylian" refers to citizens of the country. If Hyrule wasn't founded prior to Link's birth, his mother wouldn't be Hylian, would she? Obviously, the Deku Tree is referring to a civil war that ended with various factions uniting under the crown.

FYI: There is also a minor flaw in your timeline. WW occurred hundreds of years after OoT. It was a minor translation error by "Nintendo Power".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom