• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword Tying Up a Few Loose Ends, but Creating Way More?!

My internet has been out for a while so what time I have spent not playing guitar or recording random bits of music I have been stuck playing Call of Duty and Skyward Sword. As we all know Call of Duty is just boring without online multiplayer so I have been glued in front of my Wii for what seems like forever. I will come off and say this game is just amazing, but since I have "nostalgia" for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask I can't honestly say which is better. They are all amazing games, but yet almost completely different aside from some of the same characters, but to get to the point of this thread I will be giving off a ton of spoilers so please stop reading if you don't want everything to be ruined.

So the whole time I was playing this game I had a few questions in my head. Nintendo said this would tie up all loose ends to the series and be a great game of its own and while it does tie up some it leaves my mind with all kinds of confusion. Where is Lake Floria and the Parella in the other games. I know it is a new concept solely for this game, but seriously they could have added a reason they don't appear in other games. Like in the end have them or a hint that they change into the Zora which would explain why the Zora are no where to be found. Lake floria could flood the Lanayru province or part of it creating Lake Hylia or something...

Another question that boggled my mind is why is the Lanayru province so dry? It used to be a huge green land from what the robots say and the evidence from the time shift stone. So what happened and how does such a dry place end up becoming the main source of water for all of Hyrule?

Where do all the Gorons live? I mean they are spotted in different places around the mine, but we never see where they live? Why couldn't we see the beginning of the Goron City?

Where did the robots and the time shift stones go? Exactly how far back do they take you?

If this game is supposed to be the beginning of the legend of zelda and the back story to everything why does it also have a back story? If your going to make a game to start off everything why not make it the beginning of everything? I mean this game has legends and places that are ANCIENT.... I think if it is supposed to be the beginning it needs to be the beginning. The Ancient cistern should be the NEW cistern or whatever. I have more to this but I could ramble on for hours.

I was hoping the Hylian Crest on the Hylian shield would be explained but it doesnt. we see the mark of the loft wing with out the triforce. we see the triforce alone and we see them together. this just creates more confusion.

You get a plant and take it to the past to plant it so it will be a tree in the present, but if it was planted in the past would it not already be a huge tree in the future... Confusing Conflicting Story Much?!

The ending is the biggest mind **** in the world. Let me break it down for you. After getting the true master sword and the triforce you go to the sealed grounds where you destroy the imprisoned after making a wish. Ghirahim shows up, kidnaps zelda and goes back in time to resurrect his then sealed "not dead" master. You beat him, but he is still resurrected. you fight and kill him then place the sword in the stone. "which should rewrite the future or create another timeline, but it does nothing for the future" If he is dead in the past you would think it would create no reason for Link to even be on a journey in the first place, but you go back and find everything is the same. The statue is still on the land below so it didn't change anything. It must have created a new timeline, but wait.... The Master Sword is still where you left it... The tree you planted in the past is still growing... Impa still has the bracelet... Nothing has changed... So how does certain things change and not others... and if the master sword was set in the stone in the past why could link just not grab it and banish the evil instead of going on a long and deadly quest.

This game creates one HUGE mind **** of a time paradox and I seriously doubt Nintendo thought hard about this at all and just went with it... They spent 5 years on this game so why have so many loose ends? The didn't intend for OoT to have a split time line, but because of fans wanting the games to connect they created it. Or else we wouldn't be able to have both twilight princess and wind waker.

Some last minute thoughts...

Where did the dragons go to? and was the fire dragon Volvagia... He wasn't mean and he didn't have a name, but everyone worshiped him. so could he be the same dragons the Gorons feared and respected? where did all the different tribes of SS magically vanish to? I understand they tried making a brand new experience, but if your going to have it connect to the series PLEASE try not to make the series even more confusing... They did this with TP and I was praying they wouldn't with SS, but it looks like they effed up even worse.

Over all it is an amazing game, but the gaps and loose ends it leaves behind will seriously mess with you. I have way more stuff about this game to say, but this thread is long enough already. If you have any conflicting faults with this story or want something explained please let me know or try to answer anyone of my questions if not all. especially the time paradox that makes no effing sense.

PLEASE NINTENDO WHEN YOU MAKE ZELDA 3DS OR WII U PLEASE PLEASE THINK OF STORY FIRST!!! MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T CONFLICT WITH OTHER GAMES OR CREATE EVEN MORE LOOSE ENDS!!! AND PLEASE LET IT ACTUALLY TIE UP ALL THE LOOSE ENDS ALREADY HERE! PRETTY SOON IF YOU KEEP THIS UP THEN THE ZELDA TIMELINE/STORY WILL HAVE SO MANY LOOSE ENDS IT WILL JUST BECOME SO CONFUSING NO ONE WILL EVEN CARE FOR THE STORY ANYMORE.

Sorry for anything misspelled or bad grammer! =P wrote this in a rush. lol

Hmm... Interesting... Those are some things I have never thought about. You may have found [several] holes in Skyward Sword's plot. I'm honestly going to have to play through the game's story once again.

Yeah the ending is pretty messed up. But the game still fulfilled its role of prequel well. It may give a backstory for the land, but this game shows us the first hero, the first Zelda, the source of all evil, the original resting place of the Triforce, the creation of the Master Sword, and the birth of the royal family, Hyrule, and the beginning of the Hylian race. So it may not show us the beginning of the land, but it shows us the beginning of the legend.

Also, Lanayru was dry because the original demon onslaught dryed up much of the land. That, and the people and robots who used to live there used up all of the natural resources in the area.

I felt the back story was pretty straight forward. It was about the separation and set up for a hero to raise and protect Hylia. Pretty much everything was set up for this purpose, it is not like there was another Link that came about. It was Hylia that did everything, therefore it would be hard to make a prequel to this game without having a Link.

As for the ending. Any time that time travel is involved in a story this paradox is going to happen. If people got all butt hurt about it all the time, time travel could never be used in a story... ever. It is impossible to make a story with time travel and have everything make sense. Lets say that the ending involved the goddess statue not falling and the whole problem never happened. If it never happened, how did Link go back and defeat him in the first place and how is he "dead"? So even if they did end it like you were saying they should, you would still have the same problem.

Just accept it as an GREAT game and don't ruin it by over thinking. That is the thing about life, it will NEVER make sense.

Stop, breathe, accept, and move on.

They could be considered as holes. Or they could be considered as ANOTHER timeline split.

You ask for story, yet this is a massive part that nintendo do think about. Just because their games are cryptic and at first confusing does not mean they are poorly planned at all. They tied up a lot of loose ends, yet if they tied up them all and did not create any more then what would be the point in another game? They need to keep the legend going and to do that, they need to ensure there are always questions that need to be answered. Also, it's quite fun to theorize, which is why there is an entire section fo this forum dedicated to Zelda theory. If there was nothing left to answer, people would have nothing to theorize over.

Please try to realise that Zelda, isn't COD :P

To reply to this and some of the other stuff. If this game created another time split I will just forget about the timeline completely. Look at Twilight Princess. It answered almost nothing and just added onto the Legend. I was hoping Skyward Sword would answer more than just a few things. I'm not so bummed out about that just the fact that it creates such a confusing ending. If the plant, sword and bracelet all stay the same in the future than why does the boss being killed not effect the future as well? And Zelda is in the seal to keep the boss imprisoned in the past and is released in the future. After the boss dies at the end could zelda not come out of the seal right then as well? I know their would be 2 Zeldas but they could stay in their own time lines or she could go to skyloft and save everyone the sadness they have for her being lost. I dont see why she stays in there for another however many years till the present. you get what im saying..? Idk the over all story was amazing and the idea was great, but the ending i dont think was very well thought out unless they just did whatever they wanted and said "hey its just a game" but something they spent 5 years on should have had a less confusing ending and not a time paradox...

and about cod, I didn't mean they were the same at all. lol (Zelda > COD)

The best way to explain the supposed paradox is that Demise wasn't really killed in the past, he was just sealed away again. When you look back at the story, you'll see that everything in the past and present was predestined all along. The Old Woman recognized Link as the chosen one because she already met him as young Impa. If you look through the door behind Old Impa, you can see the crystal that Zelda was encased in. Old Impa knew that Groose would play a big role even though the prophecy never said anything about him because as young Impa, she saw Groose saving Zelda's body and encouraging Link to go on. One could say that Impa hid the Master Sword from Link in the present time and revealed it when Link's duty is done.

If there was a split timeline, then it wouldn't make sense at all because then Zelda wouldn't need to be sleeping and Old Impa wouldn't have the bracelet in the original timeline.

Last edited:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I feel like time flow behaves differently in SS than it did in OoT. Whereas it's commonly accepted that OoT's time traveling split the timeline down two distinct paths, I feel like SS's time traveling split the timeline but the split ended up rejoining, like a river that splits into two but merges again later downstream. I'm not entirely certain how that would even work, but Zelda is the incarnation of the goddess Hylia's soul, so perhaps some form of divine intervention "fixed" the timeline split as Zelda traveled back and forth through time in order to prevent this temporal mess from altering Link's destined quest.

Since SS starts/ends in the present with journeys into the past, the events that happen in the past cannot be allowed to drastically alter the events that happen in the present. OoT didn't have that limitation since that time travel was to the future, so nothing that happened there could directly alter the present. Since everything that happened in the past in SS was triggered by something that happened in the present, a direct timeline split during the course of the quest could not be allowed as that would completely alter Link's destiny and his quest. Hylia probably had some divine mechanism in place to hold the present together even when things changed in the past. Small changes like the tree or the bracelet were allowed to be altered because they were either necessary to Link's quest or insignificant.

I mean, yeah, chalking it all up to divine intervention doesn't really explain much logically, but it works :/

H

HylianGlaceon

In all honesty, I feel that Link and the others that were in the Sealed Grounds aren't directly affected by time. They are set apart where they can change everything for everyone else, but it doesn't directly affect them during that. For an example, in the past where the final part is taking place, Link and Zelda shouldn't even of been born yet (judging by how old Impa was in the past and present). If they aren't even born yet, then it should be impossible for them to be there in any way for Ghirahim to revive Demise and for Link to fight him.

So, that means to me that they aren't completely affected by time because of their special spirits. And after the threat is gone, they return to their regular lives. I think that's the only possible way that actually makes some sense, but that may just be me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't think there was ever any split at all in Skyward Sword. The only reason the timeline split in OoT was because Zelda made it so. It didn't split until the very end when Zelda sent Link back to his own time. This game just had some altering of the past, although nowhere near the amount that it was in OoA. It's still one timeline throughout the whole game. Nothing happened that would cause a split that I saw.

However, I must admit, Skyward Sword didn't make many things clear on the canon as I thought it would. In fact, it really didn't make anything clear at all. There was just a few things in there that made me go "Ohhhh, ok" for some things in OoT. But that's it. No breakthroughs on the canon, which I think is a missed opportunity. But, it's Nintendo's choice. They'll make things clear when they feel like it. I trust them.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This is such an interesting thread and I totally agree that they have not only not explained some things but actually created confusing new problems. I was hoping to see allot of my questions answered. About the Oocca, the city in the sky. Volvagia and the hero of the gorons (I thought it would be Gorko), info on the sheikah tribe, dark interlopers and the interloper war. I wanted to see the formation of the Hylian royal family the creation of the temple of time and how the Hylian crest came to be, apparently some thunder dragon already thought of it. Where did these dragons even go. SS was a good game, but I had expectations about the things that would be explained and they were not met. I seriously thought that when Nintendo said this game was a prequel to OOT that they were going to explain the origins of allot of things, perhaps even the origin of bongo bongo and the Deku tree. But no, none of this stuff was even mentioned or hinted to. They said something like 'Ganondorf's rise to power will be touched upon so you might get a little more understanding about that', making it sound as though it would be a little thing like seeing the Gerudo, but no we find out he is the endlessly reincarnating hatred of a demon king, that's a pretty full explanation of why he is like he is and how FSA Ganon (he was called an ancient demon reborn in that, the ancient demon must have been demise) can be different to OOT Ganon. They could have wrapped this stuff all up in one game and people would have been satisfied, now there are questions that still need answering.

The Lanayru desert I let slide because that sort of thing happens all the time on Earth. Many deserts today were inland seas thousands of years ago.

As for the Gorons, we saw them as nomadic in MC. If that still goes early in the timeline, it would make sense to leave out the founding of their home.

The Demise paradox is weird, but I found the answers. Demise wasn't actually killed by Link in the past. Fi specifically said that he was sealed away in the Master Sword. Perhaps he'd found a way to manifest his hatred on the Sealed Grounds as "Impressed" and was trying to use him to free himself. Or maybe that was all Ghirahim's work. It's still incredibly confusing, though.

Yeah, the whole paradox with the tree completely conflicts with how the time travel works in the game. It's not like it was an optional quest that they didn't want you to accidentally screw up. It was a major part of the plot. What was wrong with them!?

Djinn

and Tonic
Another question that boggled my mind is why is the Lanayru province so dry? It used to be a huge green land from what the robots say and the evidence from the time shift stone. So what happened and how does such a dry place end up becoming the main source of water for all of Hyrule?

Something I thought about was a couple of quotes from OoT.

Link, this is a beautiful
lake full of pure, clear water.
At the lake bottom there is
a Water Temple used to worship
the water spirits. The Zoras are
guardians of the temple. Hoo hoo.
The Zoras come from Zora's
Domain in northeast Hyrule. An
aquatic race, they are longtime
allies of Hyrule's Royal Family.

Zora's Fountain is the
source of the river.
Lord Jabu-Jabu lives in the
fountain.

All of the water in Hyrule flows
from Zora's Fountain.
That water flows through Zora's
River, which eventually reaches
Lake Hylia to the south.

Zora's Fountain is just beyond
King Zora's throne. That is where
Lord Jabu-Jabu swims. But...
unless you have King Zora's
permission, you can't go to
Zora's Fountain.

So we learn that all the water in Hyrule is provided by the river flowing through Hyrule Field into Lake Hylia from Zora's Fountain. And Zora's fountain is the resting place of the water spirit Jabu Jabu. We learn from TP that the main area of Hyrule and Hyrule field is in Lanayru Province. Well the time that SS takes place there is no river flowing from the north, no Zora to maintain the water Temple, and no fountain or Jabu Jabu to provide the water for the Lanayru/field region. Therefore it is desert at that point. It seems possible that Jabu Jabu and the Zora that came later are what really made life possible for Lanayru which is a desert in this game. This could also be why Ganondorf froze the domain and attacked the Water Temple, it could be to control of all the water in Hyrule.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I'm just hoping the some of the loose ends are tied up in future zelda games related to skyward sword.

SecretNerd-sshh

Its a secret to everyone
SS splitting the timeline is the best thing that could happen to this timeline IMO, and answers way more questions than the smaller details could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom