• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What You Think "Game of The Year" Will Be.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Sorry to single you out because nearly everyone in this thread seems to be thinking along the same lines, but do you realize that there are multiple GOTY awards? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't know, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't a most prestigious GOTY award like there is an Oscar at the Academy Awards for cinema. Because of this, you can't really authoritatively say that one game is the true GOTY.

Yes TES games do quite well and often win GOTY awards, but I do know for a fact that Nintendo games, especially Zelda games, win GOTY awards as well. Three out of the last four console Zelda games (Majora's Mask is the exception, but to be fair it did win fan's choice game of the decade at Gamefaqs for 2000-2009) have won GOTY awards. If you go by aggregate reviewers (which I would argue are the most authoritative sources of determining the rankings of games), then Nintendo games win GOTY more frequently than any other developer. On Gamerankings, Nintendo games have been GOTY 5 out of the last 10 years (Metriod Prime, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2).
Yea this is true. I was mainly going by Spike TVs one thats aired on T.V. because thats the most popular one. But Yea ALOT of other gaming sites have their own GOTY.

MW7

Yea this is true. I was mainly going by Spike TVs one thats aired on T.V. because thats the most popular one. But Yea ALOT of other gaming sites have their own GOTY.

Ok sorry, I was confused. I was thinking that everyone was ignoring that there were many awards and that every year there are multiple winners, but now this makes a lot more sense.

And after having done a little research about the Spike TV Video Game Awards, I would say that Skyrim will probably win and that Skyward Sword has a 0% chance. I also hope that LA Noire gets some recognition because it is one of the most innovative games of the year. I say this because I looked up past nominees and winners for GOTY and found that the last time a Nintendo game was even nominated was 2003 with Wind Waker. I also noticed that in that particular year Madden 2004 won, and I threw up in my mouth a little bit. So yeah, I kind of get the feeling that Spike's awards are ridiculously biased. Even the Wikipedia page for it states "The program has encountered criticism for its selection of both nominees and winners by the gaming community. Bias for specific platforms and products has been claimed by critics. Additionally, winners are selected via online polling leading to critics calling the results merely a 'popularity contest'", and you would think that Spike would try to take this off the page if it weren't true. The fact that the highest rated games in their respective years (Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2) are not even in the running for GOTY makes me think that Spike's awards are very far from objective.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You can't get very objective with awards and the like; what you like is always an opinion as far as I'm concerned. GOTY this year...is Ocarina of Time. My opinion, because this game was AWESOME. But then, there will always be someone who doesn't think so, right? lol

Spike better not become the next G4. Please, just give each game a fair chance. Please.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Ok sorry, I was confused. I was thinking that everyone was ignoring that there were many awards and that every year there are multiple winners, but now this makes a lot more sense.

And after having done a little research about the Spike TV Video Game Awards, I would say that Skyrim will probably win and that Skyward Sword has a 0% chance. I also hope that LA Noire gets some recognition because it is one of the most innovative games of the year. I say this because I looked up past nominees and winners for GOTY and found that the last time a Nintendo game was even nominated was 2003 with Wind Waker. I also noticed that in that particular year Madden 2004 won, and I threw up in my mouth a little bit. So yeah, I kind of get the feeling that Spike's awards are ridiculously biased. Even the Wikipedia page for it states "The program has encountered criticism for its selection of both nominees and winners by the gaming community. Bias for specific platforms and products has been claimed by critics. Additionally, winners are selected via online polling leading to critics calling the results merely a 'popularity contest'", and you would think that Spike would try to take this off the page if it weren't true. The fact that the highest rated games in their respective years (Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2) are not even in the running for GOTY makes me think that Spike's awards are very far from objective.
Yea they kinda are. I did like IGNs game of the year selection last year, mainly because it was kinda funny AND it included Galaxy 2. And despite what people say, SOME of their reviews are kinda fair, though most of the time I admit they lower the score for stupid reasons, but at least they're still better than Spike. Have any other GOTY sites that are fair that I could look at? Because I would like to see some others, Does gamespot have one?

MW7

You can't get very objective with awards and the like; what you like is always an opinion as far as I'm concerned. GOTY this year...is Ocarina of Time. My opinion, because this game was AWESOME. But then, there will always be someone who doesn't think so, right? lol

Spike better not become the next G4. Please, just give each game a fair chance. Please.

Hahaha great point. You're definitely right and I guess I should have found a better phrase than "far from objective." How about biased to the extent that the awards show should be subtitled "For PS3, Xbox 360, and PC games since those are the only games that exist wink wink." At least they have a "best Wii game" category though, but that is almost an insult because they have yet to put a Nintendo game in the GOTY category this generation.

For JakeProtagonist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year
This is Wikipedia's list of a number of different websites' and magazines' awards for GOTY.

Last edited:

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace

Ocarina of Time 3D! I ALMOST FORGET ABOUT THAT MASTERPIECE! While I do LOVE that, I think Skyward Sword will be a Better and New Experience, But we will just have to wait and see :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I meant OoT original, but 3D is just as good minus the rolling animation! ;)

Does it really count though? I was joking, mostly, but DOES OoT3D even count for GOTY nomination?

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace

Does it really count though? I was joking, mostly, but DOES OoT3D even count for GOTY nomination?
It can if it wanted to since it came out this year. But its highly unlikely since its a remake, but who knows.

MW7

I'm 99% sure it technically could win any GOTY award, but no one would let it win. I would argue that it is actually as good as any truly new release. On Gamerankings.com it is currently the 2nd highest rated game of 2011 behind Portal 2.

And also for JakeProtagonist- I'd say the least biased sites are metacritic and gamerankings because they take all the other rankings and combine them. So usually the biases even out but even so it's not perfect.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
I'm 99% sure it technically could win any GOTY award, but no one would let it win. I would argue that it is actually as good as any truly new release. On Gamerankings.com it is currently the 2nd highest rated game of 2011 behind Portal 2.

And also for JakeProtagonist- I'd say the least biased sites are metacritic and gamerankings because they take all the other rankings and combine them. So usually the biases even out but even so it's not perfect.
Thats ok nothing is perfect :) Ill check those out, Thanks :D

A

Anthony_Vaughn_

To be honest, I believe The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will be the game of the year. The game's hype has been nonstop since it's very first concept art back at E3 2009, and the game's specifications are only making Legend of Zelda fans more excited (including myself).

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Okay question.... since a lot of us missed that there are game of the year awards from several gaming sites.... what's the point of this thread now? All the games we have pointed out will most likely win someone's game of the year award. Maybe instead we should ask... which game will win WHICH SITE'S game of the year award? Or something like that.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Okay question.... since a lot of us missed that there are game of the year awards from several gaming sites.... what's the point of this thread now? All the games we have pointed out will most likely win someone's game of the year award. Maybe instead we should ask... which game will win WHICH SITE'S game of the year award? Or something like that.
Well, it was never really about a specific site. It was Basically a "What is YOUR Game of the Year?" Or "What do you think Deserves it the Most?"

But Ive got an idea relevant to yours.
Which do you think will win in Metacritic's eyes?
Because they're probably the most fair for several reasons I now realize. ill edit it now. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Well... looking at the award history for Metacritic... I think Skyward Sword stands a very good shot of getting it. Based on how they've picked the two Mario Galaxies and Twilight Princess. But if that doesn't get their's I'm not so sure it'd be an RPG. Only one close to get one from them is GTA. Not sure if Skyrim will come up on there since they chose Twilight Princess over Oblivion. I don't really know what other game might stand a chance with Metacritic if it's not Skyward Sword.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Regarding Skyrim...

There are two Elder Scrolls games which stand up to the very best the Zelda series has to offer: Daggerfall and Morrowind. Both are staggering, and for different reasons. While I wouldn't call either better than Ocarina of Time, they're quite worthy of being on any list of the greatest games of all time.

Oblivion and Arena are both clumsy and badly designed for different reasons, and are most certainly not among the greatest games of all time. While I wouldn't say they're worst than the worse Zelda game (Twilight Princess), they're both pretty bad.

I expect Skyrim to be good. I do not expect it to be as staggeringly good as Daggerfall or Morrowind. Perhaps it will exceed some mid-range Zelda titles, but I doubt it will stand up to the best.

I have high expectations for Skyward Sword--it looks unified, well-designed, creative, etc. Simply because Skyrim has more breadth and may boast high quality does not mean it will be better; Morrowind was an amazing game for countless reasons, but I wouldn't say the final product is as good as Ocarina of Time. That's why I'm certain Skyward Sword will exceed Skyrim in the most important ways.

I recognize these are opinions. I'm not willing to call the quality of games subjective, but I know people may disagree. Just a disclaimer. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom