• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Final Fantasy XIII

I just borrowed Final Fantasy XIII(13) from one of my friends. He told me that the game sucked, but I find it very fun. Have any of you guys played FF13? If so, what did you think of it?

My favorite thing about it right now is the battle system. It works very good, IMO.

jugglaj91

I am me....
I enjoyed it. The fact is that most people find it way to linear for a FF game, and they simplified a lot of things. If you have ever played an older FF you would know exactly what they mean why most everyone says it sucked. But as I said I enjoyed it and although I am in no high hopes for XIII-2 I will get it eventually, when price drops down. Definitely not a day 1 for me.

I enjoyed it. The fact is that most people find it way to linear for a FF game, and they simplified a lot of things. If you have ever played an older FF you would know exactly what they mean why most everyone says it sucked. But as I said I enjoyed it and although I am in no high hopes for XIII-2 I will get it eventually, when price drops down. Definitely not a day 1 for me.

Yeah, so far, it is really linear. That doesn't bother me, even though I really enjoyed the older games. My friend hated it because he thought it was too hard.

Well,FFXIII is a good game,the story is good but I dont feel like playing and Original FF(I to X),Its so different and the gameplay its strange,its not like the classics and that disapointed me,but other than that its a good game,its fun to play.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
First FF game and it was epic, beat it last year.

The music, characters and plot are really deep! Lightning is an awesome Lone wolf, Sazh is a character who has an emotional story, Hope is a pernament member of my team. (Of the three space slot), Vanille is.... I won't spoil it..... Fang is just epic and Snow? Douche

Music is awesome in games, and Blinded by Light, Fangs theme, Snows theme, Hopes theme, In that sky that night, and many other pieces of music pwn.

And for it's sequel?

Multiple endings ftw

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Final Fantasy 13 was lackluster in comparison to older titles, that's what I see. The graphics are great, the music is compelling, but the gameplay is actually where it is lacking. One can argue that Final Fantasy 12 (PS2, 2006) plays for you under the gambit system. But in FF13...the battle system takes the automated gambit system a step further. Battles feel stiff as heck, with you doing very little but choosing battles options, alike that of FF10 and past that. I hated that we were forced into a battle every two seconds, but given no freedom in those battles. We don't even move our characters, how boring is that?! Reaca, you will very soon find out that the battle system is next to no fun at all, with it being simply "debuff, stagger, win".

The linearity of the game bugged me as well. If anyone knows a reason to hate Zelda:Twilight Princess, I'm sure they would pinpoint it on linearity. FFXIII suffers from this as well, with it being impossible to revisit any area from Chapter one to Chapter Ten. Talk about terrible.

The story was pretty good in my opinion, except the ending. I loved all the playable characters except Fang and Snow, with Vanille and Sazh being my absolute favorites :)

All in all, FF13 wasn't the ideal Final Fantasy for me. It is basically that of TP; a bad Final Fantasy game but a good game overall. If we were given the same type of gameplay as in FF12, what with free roam and no transition to separate battle screens...FF13 would be better in my opinion.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Atleast it isn't random encounters. And I agree, we should visit other places like Lake Bresha and The Fifth Ark when we have completed the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It still felt like random encounters, though, because the gameplay was so restricted.

Lake Bresha is freaking BEAUTIFUL. Get FF13 on a PS3 and 1080p HDTV + HDMI cords...your eyes will burn out.

Final Fantasy 13 was lackluster in comparison to older titles, that's what I see. The graphics are great, the music is compelling, but the gameplay is actually where it is lacking. One can argue that Final Fantasy 12 (PS2, 2006) plays for you under the gambit system. But in FF13...the battle system takes the automated gambit system a step further. Battles feel stiff as heck, with you doing very little but choosing battles options, alike that of FF10 and past that. I hated that we were forced into a battle every two seconds, but given no freedom in those battles. We don't even move our characters, how boring is that?! Reaca, you will very soon find out that the battle system is next to no fun at all, with it being simply "debuff, stagger, win".

The linearity of the game bugged me as well. If anyone knows a reason to hate Zelda:Twilight Princess, I'm sure they would pinpoint it on linearity. FFXIII suffers from this as well, with it being impossible to revisit any area from Chapter one to Chapter Ten. Talk about terrible.

The story was pretty good in my opinion, except the ending. I loved all the playable characters except Fang and Snow, with Vanille and Sazh being my absolute favorites :)

All in all, FF13 wasn't the ideal Final Fantasy for me. It is basically that of TP; a bad Final Fantasy game but a good game overall. If we were given the same type of gameplay as in FF12, what with free roam and no transition to separate battle screens...FF13 would be better in my opinion.

So far, its definitely not one of my favorite FF games, but I still think its fun. I actually don't mind the linearity of it. I know that it is lacking a little in the gameplay area, but that doesn't bother me all that much. I like the characters, the music, and the graphics are gorgeous.

The best part about the game is the battle system. It is actually very revolutionary and is fun. Now the bad part about the game, IS EVERYTHING ELSE. The story and characters are like taken from an anime. Lightning is basically a female Cloud Strife and she looks exactly like him to, but with pink hair. The game is probably the most linear video game ever made. You are going in a straight line the entire the entire time. The worst part about the game is that you have to work in order to have fun. Now what I mean by that is that it takes 20 hours to have a complete battle system. In the beginning, the battle system doesn't seem complete. In a lot of RPGs, you don't have all of your abilities are party members, but the battle system was complete because you can buy different weapons and armor in different towns and as you level up you progressively get stronger,new abilities,manage your party,and different items.The battle system in the beginning of most RPGs have more content to them even if there is only playing as one person. In FF XIII this is not the case. The first 20 hours are like a tutorial level. The battle system is simple in the first hours. I'm not saying FF XIII is a horrible game, but it could've been a lot better. It takes you more than 20 hours to explore an open world, 20 hours to play the amazing battle system, 20 hours to set up party members, 20 hours to have complete control of all of the characters. Hopefully FF XIII-2 is better. This video basically sums up FF XIII. [video=youtube;ZvpvxyZ3jdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvpvxyZ3jdA[/video]

Last edited:
Since I've only ever played FFX before I played XIII, I had no problems with it. And in general, I'm not a very picky person when it comes to video games; it takes a lot for me to dislike a game. I loved the story and the music, and I enjoyed it. So I was satisfied. :)

(Although it took me a while to get used to the battles - I had beaten X just before picking up XIII, so sometimes I would forget that you couldn't just wait forever before attacking without getting injured.)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The best part about the game is the battle system. It is actually very revolutionary
Sorry, StarBound, FF13's battle system is NOT revolutionary at all. In fact, I'd say it is a downgrade from the original ATB battle system of FF1.

Since I've only ever played FFX before I played XIII, I had no problems with it. And in general, I'm not a very picky person when it comes to video games; it takes a lot for me to dislike a game. I loved the story and the music, and I enjoyed it. So I was satisfied. :)

(Although it took me a while to get used to the battles - I had beaten X just before picking up XIII, so sometimes I would forget that you couldn't just wait forever before attacking without getting injured.)

FF XIII was the 2nd FF game I ever played and I had all of these problems(first FF game was the original FF for the NES).

Sorry, StarBound, FF13's battle system is NOT revolutionary at all. In fact, I'd say it is a downgrade from the original ATB battle system of FF1.
Well if you get towards the end of the game then it is actually a lot of fun and is amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom