• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What You Think "Game of The Year" Will Be.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
So guys what do you think? Being the Huge Zelda fan I am I predict Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword deserves Game of the Year. And I dont think it has any Serious competition except for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Thats gonna be a hard game to beat. But I never really Liked The Elder Scrolls and could never get into Oblivion especially so Im sticking with Skyward Sword.

But thats just my opinion, so what do you guys Think?

*Edit* Refer who will win on Metacritic.com because they are the most fair and unbiased for several reasons.

Last edited:

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
I agree, I also predict SkywardSword will indeed win Game of the Year, but Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will come very close.
Skyward Sword is just bringing so much to the table that it can't not win.

Elder Scrolls is an awesome series, but Oblivion kinda sucked(They blew it by making the world's most irritating and boring main quest ever.), you should try Morrowind, it's what kindled my love for the series. (=

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I think Skyward Sword stands a serious chance of winning. It's the only Nintendo game on the top ten list of pre-orders, which says a lot. There is so much hype for the game, from fans and even critics of the series are excited. GameInformer dedicated a huge section of their magazine to just Skyward Sword (which, in the time I've had it, about ten years I believe, I don't recall any other game getting that big of an article). All the signs point to Skyward Sword.

But there's always the chance it will be beaten by a more popular series, such as COD or something (I don't keep up with those games, so I don't know if there's a new one of those this year). As you said, though, Skyrim does look like it might give Skyward Sword a run for its money.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
I think Skyward Sword stands a serious chance of winning. It's the only Nintendo game on the top ten list of pre-orders, which says a lot. There is so much hype for the game, from fans and even critics of the series are excited. GameInformer dedicated a huge section of their magazine to just Skyward Sword (which, in the time I've had it, about ten years I believe, I don't recall any other game getting that big of an article). All the signs point to Skyward Sword.

But there's always the chance it will be beaten by a more popular series, such as COD or something (I don't keep up with those games, so I don't know if there's a new one of those this year). As you said, though, Skyrim does look like it might give Skyward Sword a run for its money.
If a FPS wins Game of the Year EVER again, Im gonna have to kill someone, Especially if theres other great games that arent so generic that came out that year. Not to say FPSs are bad they're just too common nowadays and, well, Generic. MAINLY COD

I think Battlefield 3 has a chance to win. But I think that Skyward Sword or Skyrim will win Game of the Year.

I wish Skyward Sword will win but Skyrim is going to be hard to beat.

I played the beta for Battlefeild 3, and I have to say, it is quite awesome.
I haven't played SS or Skyrim, but they look like serious contenders.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
TES games always get game of the year. And they deserve it every time. Look, Zelda's great and all, but it's not even in the same ballpark as The Elder Scrolls. I think TES games are far superior to Zelda games, but Zelda games are easier to replay because they're shorter and don't require as much strategy and planning. But nothing really beats The Elder Scrolls, sorry. It just doesn't. It's unfortunate. If they waited to release it with the Wii U it might have a better chance at Game of the Year. But honestly, no game stands an ice cube's chance in a volcano of beating out a TES game. They're just that good.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
If a FPS wins Game of the Year EVER again, Im gonna have to kill someone, Especially if theres other great games that arent so generic that came out that year. Not to say FPSs are bad they're just too common nowadays and, well, Generic. MAINLY COD

I totally agree with you. There's no real plot, and some of them are very... 'kill everyone not in your country,' from what I understand. This is based on what I've heard people who play them say, so if I'm wrong, I apologize.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Man, 2011 has been such an awesome year. We got games this year like L.A. Noire, Portal 2, Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, so on and so forth.

However, the only game I've played this year was Portal 2, and that game was phenomenal. Valve is a great company, and I wouldn't be suprised that game gets GOTY. L.A. Noire was awesome from what I've seen (I'll play it when it comes to PC in November), but it's production nightmares may hold it back from getting GOTY. Battlefield 3 has also looked really fun and lives up to the series, but it's a game I'm going to skip.

I can't remember a Nintendo game becoming GOTY, but I've heard of Player's Choice versions of their games, however. I do have a feeling that Skyward Sword will be an awesome game, but perhaps shadowed over by Skyrim, which may more than likely win GOTY. So, honestly, I'm tied between Portal 2 and Skyrim for this year, even though we've seen plenty of awesome games this year.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
I totally agree with you. There's no real plot, and some of them are very... 'kill everyone not in your country,' from what I understand. This is based on what I've heard people who play them say, so if I'm wrong, I apologize.
No, you pretty much got that spot on =)

Man, 2011 has been such an awesome year. We got games this year like L.A. Noire, Portal 2, Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, so on and so forth.

However, the only game I've played this year was Portal 2, and that game was phenomenal. Valve is a great company, and I wouldn't be suprised that game gets GOTY. L.A. Noire was awesome from what I've seen (I'll play it when it comes to PC in November), but it's production nightmares may hold it back from getting GOTY. Battlefield 3 has also looked really fun and lives up to the series, but it's a game I'm going to skip.

I can't remember a Nintendo game becoming GOTY, but I've heard of Player's Choice versions of their games, however. I do have a feeling that Skyward Sword will be an awesome game, but perhaps shadowed over by Skyrim, which may more than likely win GOTY. So, honestly, I'm tied between Portal 2 and Skyrim for this year, even though we've seen plenty of awesome games this year.
The only thing I had wrong with Portal 2 is once your done everything, theres not much else to do. It had like no replay-ability Value for me, which is sad because it was such a SUPER Fun game.

And I could never get in to Oblivion like I said, But ALOT of other people could. So Im pretty sure Skyrim has a better chance of winning like everyones saying. I think more people simply like it. Ill be happy with Skyward Sword being nominated though because that alone is a HUGE honor =)

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
TES games always get game of the year. And they deserve it every time. Look, Zelda's great and all, but it's not even in the same ballpark as The Elder Scrolls. I think TES games are far superior to Zelda games, but Zelda games are easier to replay because they're shorter and don't require as much strategy and planning. But nothing really beats The Elder Scrolls, sorry. It just doesn't. It's unfortunate. If they waited to release it with the Wii U it might have a better chance at Game of the Year. But honestly, no game stands an ice cube's chance in a volcano of beating out a TES game. They're just that good.

Skyward Sword beats the Dragon Age games in size! 50-100 Hours is not short and easy to replay, this is no ordinary Zelda game! Skyward Sword will also require tons of tactical play with every single enemy being a precision challenge.
I wouldn't be extremely surprised if Skyrim won, but Skyward Sword is far from out of the contest. :)

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Skyward Sword beats the Dragon Age games in size! 50-100 Hours is not short and easy to replay, this is no ordinary Zelda game! Skyward Sword will also require tons of tactical play with every single enemy being a precision challenge.
I wouldn't be extremely surprised if Skyrim won, but Skyward Sword is far from out of the contest. :)
The problem is if it goes by votes, Skyrim will win because Im pretty sure their fanbase is bigger than ours. But It shouldnt and if it doesnt It still would be a Great match up. This is also the Hardest Zelda Game since Zelda II. So in toughness Skyrim and Skyward Sword might be evenly matched now =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom