• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Switch Hook

Kybyrian

You all know that beautiful item from Oracle of Ages, right?(Hopefully, at least)

Anyway, I can't really remember where it was found, but it was a great item. It was sort of like the hook/long shot or what have you from various Zelda games, except you would switch places with an enemy, pot, or other certain items. Whereas some other weaker enemies would simply be defeated from a hit with the hook shot, like Goponga Flowers and Keese.

It was a good item, to say the least. It was new and provided some different ways to get through dungeons and solve puzzles.

octorok74

TETTAC
I always used the switchhook to get to the other side of the room in Mermaids Cave because of all the enemies. Then I upgraded to longhook in Jabu-Jabu's Belly and just use that for fun.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
The Switch Hook was a good item. It was an interesting twist on the hookshot, and it was used for a few good puzzles. If I remember correctly anyway. I liked the hookshot better, but the Switch Hook was still a fun item to use.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
The Switch Hook was fabulous but I remember myself thinking it was a little bit to slow. But well, mechanics was never my best or favorite subject!

I really liked the switch hook. Actually I really liked about any item in OoA, whereas some of the items in OoS were just plain annoying (magnetic gloves, rod of seasons). It never made sense to me how Link can just seemingly teleport in place of the item grabbed, but hey its Zelda, so what can ya say? It worked, and thats all that I needed.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The switch hook was an interesting twist on the Hookshot, but, like some other people, i still prefer the hookshot... but it had a few good puzzles where it was required

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
I still prefer the normal Hookshot/Longshot. But, the Switch Hook allowed for a new twist on puzzles. I don't think it was used to its full potential though. The Hookshot had a lot of puzzles in every game with it, it was used pretty extensively, especially in LttP. The double clawshot in TP added an even bigger twist to it as well.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I still prefer the normal Hookshot/Longshot. But, the Switch Hook allowed for a new twist on puzzles. I don't think it was used to its full potential though. The Hookshot had a lot of puzzles in every game with it, it was used pretty extensively, especially in LttP. The double clawshot in TP added an even bigger twist to it as well.

I disagree, from what I recall, I do remember the switch hook being used quite often within Oracle of Ages. Perhaps it's just my poor memory, but it is something I vaguely remember. I remember when I first got it, it seemed a bit strange. Like Alder Dragon, I was so used to the classic hookshot that it just seemed a bit awkward. The new puzzles really worked, but I think I would have preferred there to be a hookshot over a switch hook.

What would be great, is if there was a both a hookshot and a switch hook. I'm a sucker for games with lots and lots of items. So that would have been perfect for me.

Oh, the Switch-hook completely rocked. It was totally different from the hookshot, and could be used in a variety of different ways. It was also possible to switch with many more things than the hookshot could latch onto, like jars. I also liked using it for easily avoiding enemies like the Gibdo, which can be a pain to fight. Just whip out the switch-hook, use it, and viola you've gotten by the enemy with no trouble at all. The puzzles involving it were also pretty fun and innovative.

What would be great, is if there was a both a hookshot and a switch hook. I'm a sucker for games with lots and lots of items. So that would have been perfect for me.

I think I'd disagree with you here. I was kind of disappointed in WW when you finally get to the Wind Temple's chest, you open it... and out comes the hookshot. I mean, you already had the grappling hook, which kind of made the hookshot unneeded. I would much rather have a completely new item rather then one that is used in a very similar fashion to an item already in possession.

Amelie

Air Dancer
I remember seeing my friend use this item. I always thought it was called the hookshot but that is just did something different. But Switch hook does make more since ^^
I remember I always thought it was funny how you could switch places with it!

Night Owl

~Momentai
I loved the switch hook. It was a really clever tool. The puzzles using it were actually pretty fun.
It's found in dungeon 4 (don't remember the name) Located in the waterfall/volcano in symmetry village.

I think it is arguably more useful than a hook shot.
You could use it to put something harms way while taking yourself out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom