• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

deleted thread

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Yeah, been there, seen that. As somebody who reads internet comments frequently, I have come across a lot of haters, not only Zelda haters, but Pretty-much-any-popular-franchise-you-can-think-of haters.

Just like many others, I do not have a high opinion of that kind of people.

It's a good thing to have an opinion and all, but one thing is using your ability to think as an individual, and the other one is using that opinion to troll others because they don't agree with you, which is the kind of dislike I do not approve of. Not only for Zelda, but as I said, but pretty much any popular or not-so popular franchise.

As has been said, you can find an embarrassingly high amount of that kind of comments around the web. I have an example that I always find worth bringing up:

an anonymous poster said:
Maybe Zelda can learn how to talk so I don't have to read lines of text while he makes stupid cute annoying noises.

I believe the site was IGN, which is popular for always finding ways to criricize Nintendo. It's important to point out that gaming websites are wher a good part of these comments are made, and it's because the big sites love making flame-bait articles to increase their views. Curiously, Call of Duty also suffers from this kind of attacks on major gaming sites.

As for real life cases (which I apparently forgot :P), I know a good number of people who will insult somebody else's favorite game just to bother them. It's not like they actually even knew the game sometimes. Ignoring those is the best option, as their reasoning will prevent them from listening to anything you try to use to contradict them. Heck, some of the people I've seen doing that don't even hate the games they insult, they just do it to bother somebody.

Last edited:

MasterSwordBoy1

Hero of Pie
People at my school talk about COD, Halo, Assassin's Creed, etc. I like Zelda games better, and Zelda is better for you brain than COD and stuff. I have a friend at school who likes Zelda and other Nintendo games, and my neighbor argues with me that COD is better, but here's what I said, " What about Zelda Ocarina of Time? That game changed gaming a lot, and it got acclaimed the best game of all time!".

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Wow.... You said "Zelda is Lame, black ops is so much better" thats what people say to me all the time. For me I ignore haters completely, they just want to get their opinion out to the world which is not bad but when you hate on Zelda right in front of my face that's when I punch them in the face. Well at least that's kind of what I want to do but that would create more comflict. So if someone is hating on Zelda here on ZD or at school tell simply ignore them and they will have no one else to annoy.

People at my school talk about COD, Halo, Assassin's Creed, etc. I like Zelda games better, and Zelda is better for you brain than COD and stuff. I have a friend at school who likes Zelda and other Nintendo games, and my neighbor argues with me that COD is better, but here's what I said, " What about Zelda Ocarina of Time? That game changed gaming a lot, and it got acclaimed the best game of all time!".
Technically, being revolutionary isn't the same as being good.

Anyway, I just ignore those people. They obviously can't play a game for five minutes without blowing something up.

BombchuPwns!

MAKE PASTA NOT WAR
I get bullied because of this at school. People tell me, " No one gives a **** about Zelda" , Zelda sucks, Zelda's gay, I always tell them to shut up, but they wont listen.... :kawaii:

Fig

The Altruist
Before you ask NO i am not a zelda hater, I am a huge fan of the series.

I am sure everyone has seen this at one point or another, but when you see someone who doesnt play zelda or isnt a gamer, make comments like "Zelda, that game is gay" or "Zelda sucks, black ops is sooo much better.

I usually make a comment like "there was no black ops in 1999"

I want to know what you say/do to those people and what you think of them.

Another question I have is why do YOU think they make statements like that when they have never played it.

Many people in the band I'm in, say that Zelda is worthless and is nothing compared to Gears 3. This is what I tell them:

"Wait until Oct. 14. On that day, Kirby will beat the living crap out of Gears. On Nov. 13, Mario will jump and defeat Gears like a Goomba. Finally on Nov. 20, Link will no-life his adventure like a boss, which will be better that Gears of War 3. These three guys alone will show which company is fittest (as in survival of the fittest) to become the #1 video game company."

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
Here's my own personsal experience, like a week ago: I was watching the Skyward Sword trailer at school because it was sooo awesome and I wanted to show my friends (they used to not like Nintendo, but now they want to buy it). While we were watching it, an idiot walked by. He asked what game it was and for what system. I answered SS for the Wii. He stupidly replied "Wii, that's terrible". I felt MAD. I WANTED TO HIT HIM SO HARD. If you want to see how I felt, see the Ghirahim cutscene before the battle. I felt how Ghirahim felt (o_O)
Ghirahim said:
Do you have any idea how that made me feel inside? Furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!
I am completely annoyed with people who dismiss a game as being bad because it's made by Nintendo, and the Wii is "childish".

Here is my reasoning behind their attitude:
THEY ARE IDIOTS
Too obsessed with first-person shooters, even though those are the games that really suck. Those idiots can't appreciate everything Nintendo put into making actual good games. They say first-person shooters are the only good games, but most of them suck. They're basically the same game copied: Halo, COD, Killzone, etc. But there is only one ZELDA

I think we should either PAWN them in a Zelda game, or just let them not have the awesome fun of Zelda. I would choose option 1, so that we HUMILIATE THEM WITH ZELDA's EPICNESS THEN TELL THEM THEY CAN'T EVER PLAY THE GAME EVER AGAIN

Tell them that without Zelda, they wouldn't have the games they have today :devil:

Here's why:
Zelda introduced
- the save system (LoZ 1)
- plot-driven gameplay (LoZ 1)
- non-linear gameplay (LoZ 1)
- a game not based on highscores, but based on completion of game (LoZ 1)
- pre-rendered graphics (OoT)
- motion-controlled swordplay (TP)
- targeting system (z/l-targeting in OoT)
- 1:1 swordplay (SS)
- touch-based only gameplay (PH)
- adventure in a huge sandbox overworld, 2D and 3D (LoZ1 and OoT)
- connected games (oracle series)
- transformations (MM and TP)
- overworlds separate from dungeons (LoZ)
- Sidequests (AlttP)
- Sidekicks (OoT and TP)
- Different Art Styles (OoT, WW, TP, SS)
- Hidden Secrets
- Video Game Fandom

Zelda popularized
- adventure, third-person, swordplay, and many other game genres
- third-person view
- 3D environment
- strafing around enemies

Last edited:

Rytex

Resident Netizen
We have a word for people who like to comment that Zelda games suck. At least, we at 4Chan do. We call then Gaming New***s, for they are new to gaming, they are ***s for only playing games for online gameplay capabilities and not good stories or stuff like that.

Also, here's a post I saw on a Legend of Zelda YouTube video.

"OMFG Zelda is sooo gay. All you do is hit people with a sword and fight the same enemy every single game!!! Now Call of Duty is a much better series. The plots are creative, the weapons are addicting and original, it takes place in the REAL world with REALISTIC PLOTS!"

Now, I do understand this person was probably a troll, but it still doesn't deny the fact that this idiot obviously hates Zelda without even playing it.

Also, here's a post I saw on a Legend of Zelda YouTube video.

"OMFG Zelda is sooo gay. All you do is hit people with a sword and fight the same enemy every single game!!! Now Call of Duty is a much better series. The plots are creative, the weapons are addicting and original, it takes place in the REAL world with REALISTIC PLOTS!"
Yeah, in "Call of Duty" you shoot people and fight the same enemy every single game. It's completely different. How much you want to bet that the plot to every CoD game is "shot everyone that looks different than you, you xenophobe"? And I think they ditched "realism" when you could survive five bullets to the chest.

Honestly, those people lack any degree of sophistication in regards to games. How else can you explain a game with the plot "get to your birthday cake" being completely immune to criticism? Games are about immersion, rather than substance.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
Yeah, in "Call of Duty" you shoot people and fight the same enemy every single game. It's completely different. How much you want to bet that the plot to every CoD game is "shot everyone that looks different than you, you xenophobe"? And I think they ditched "realism" when you could survive five bullets to the chest.

Honestly, those people lack any degree of sophistication in regards to games. How else can you explain a game with the plot "get to your birthday cake" being completely immune to criticism? Games are about immersion, rather than substance.

Tell them that without Zelda, they wouldn't have their "modern" "good" games

People like different things. I just let haters hate, usually they're just overeager console fanboys, trolls or just like everything "realistic" (= new to gaming/13-year-olds). But I've seen the "Zelda's for kids"-bashing around quite a bit and I find it, well, stupid.

I can see why people like shooters that take place in WWII or any other real world war, but what I cannot understand is why a story should be absolutely realistic and serious. To me happiness/fantasy is just as good of a substance in a story as any other. Usually the weird/"childish" characters are more endearing than tragic soldiers (of course it also depends on the quality of writing). Cannot deal with overly overt angst.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
People like different things. I just let haters hate, usually they're just overeager console fanboys, trolls or just like everything "realistic" (= new to gaming/13-year-olds). But I've seen the "Zelda's for kids"-bashing around quite a bit and I find it, well, stupid.

I can see why people like shooters that take place in WWII or any other real world war, but what I cannot understand is why a story should be absolutely realistic and serious. To me happiness/fantasy is just as good of a substance in a story as any other. Usually the weird/"childish" characters are more endearing than tragic soldiers (of course it also depends on the quality of writing). Cannot deal with overly overt angst.

Part of the reason people love fantasy games, whether we realize it or not, is because of a bit of wish-fulfillment fantasy, where we put ourselves in the hero's shoes, walk miles in them, and basically become them in our minds. It's a huge reason why Harry Potter was so successful, because people's roles were easy to relate to, and thus, fill.

And as for your thing about haters, I find that there are three things in life we can be sure of: The console Zelda games will be delayed at least once, there will always be haters, and Hogwarts will have to hire a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher next year.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
People are allowed to hate the game, and people are allowed to be bias against the games because what they play better appeals to them on a judging-a-book-by-its-cover level. I do that all the time, and have probably missed out on a million gems because I decide "eh, looks cheesy/pretentious/difficult/stupid." And I'll be genuinely surprised if any of you haven't done the same.

I've met people who haven't played Zelda, and I've met people who weren't all that bothered about it as a series. I can't really blame them and I've played the games. I'm not going to pretend these games are sitting on the highest of high pedestals to be worshiped like a deity, because plenty of the games do have flaws that can be off-putting. I get that, too.

And I get when people say they don't like it without playing the games, because of a) the bits that get hyped to death, and b) the fanbase. I'm not gonna judge the fanbase, that would be entirely hypocritical of me. But there is something to be said about fanbases in general. The passion that goes into liking something can be overwhelming, especially when the person exerting it is doing so with the intent of converting you. I know it's not always intentional, but much like people who go on about CoD or Halo, you can probably see how annoying it is. ;) It is, unfortunately, a two-way street here.

I have quite a fondness of a few game series other than Zelda, but I don't like to make a point of pushing this love on those who haven't also expressed it. If a person is a fan, you'll get a much better response than out of someone whose interests deviate from your own.

But that's just me. *shrug*

Here's why:
Zelda introduced
- the save system (LoZ 1)
- plot-driven gameplay (LoZ 1)
- non-linear gameplay (LoZ 1)
- a game not based on highscores, but based on completion of game (LoZ 1)
- motion-controlled swordplay (TP)
- targeting system (z/l-targeting in OoT)
- overworlds separate from dungeons (LoZ)
- Sidequests (AlttP)
- Sidekicks (OoT and TP)
- Different Art Styles (OoT, WW, TP, SS)
- Hidden Secrets
- Video Game Fandom

Yes, Zelda has made some major innovations, but a good number of thing on that list wasn't invented by Zelda(I will be sounding like an A-Hole, please excuse me). Let me explain.

-non-linear gameplay (LoZ 1)
Dragon slayer and Time pilot were non-linear and were release a number of years before Zelda, amoung others.

The 7th Guest was released in 1991 had pre-rendered graphics.

Original Prince of Persia. Released mid 80's.

WarioWare: Touched. I think.

Elite. 1984. As for 3D, Super Mario 64 could be considered one of the first.

Pokemon (kinda)

I'm sorry, but MM was definatly not the first one to do this.

- sidequests(aLttP)
Final Fantasy IV, 1991.

- Hidden Secrets
Really? Not the warp zone in Super Mario Bros?

- Video Game Fandom
I'm sorry but definatly not. Are you saying that games like Mario and Final Fantasy don't have fandoms?

Please don't take this too harshly, I'm not tring to 1-up you or anything, but please, do the research or you'll sound like the ignorant one. ;)

Now for the question at hand, I couple of my friend have dissed Zelda in the past, but it was more of a joke. Most of my friends are pretty open-minded,and they play FPSs. In fact, after playing Black Ops, they ditched the CoD band-wagon and started playing Battlefeild (witch is a MUCH better FPS, IMHO.)

Yes, Zelda has made some major innovations, but a good number of thing on that list wasn't invented by Zelda(I will be sounding like an A-Hole, please excuse me). Let me explain.

-non-linear gameplay (LoZ 1)
Dragon slayer and Time pilot were non-linear and were release a number of years before Zelda, amoung others.

The 7th Guest was released in 1991 had pre-rendered graphics.

Original Prince of Persia. Released mid 80's.

WarioWare: Touched. I think.

Elite. 1984. As for 3D, Super Mario 64 could be considered one of the first.

Pokemon (kinda)

I'm sorry, but MM was definatly not the first one to do this.

- sidequests(aLttP)
Final Fantasy IV, 1991.

- Hidden Secrets
Really? Not the warp zone in Super Mario Bros?

- Video Game Fandom
I'm sorry but definatly not. Are you saying that games like Mario and Final Fantasy don't have fandoms?

Please don't take this too harshly, I'm not tring to 1-up you or anything, but please, do the research or you'll sound like the ignorant one. ;)

Now for the question at hand, I couple of my friend have dissed Zelda in the past, but it was more of a joke. Most of my friends are pretty open-minded,and they play FPSs. In fact, after playing Black Ops, they ditched the CoD band-wagon and started playing Battlefeild (witch is a MUCH better FPS, IMHO.)

I have to agree with you. I also dont think some of those are too important. For instance, I do not think transformations are totally important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom