• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Story- a Fake?

geek4887

The Unknown
I was looking through resources and stuff and found this weird piece of information. This pertains to A Link to the Past, and Skyward Sword. As we all know, Skyward Sword's main focal point to the series, is that it depicts the creation of the Master Sword. What we all don't know, though, is that in the backstory of A Link to the Past, it mentions that the Master Sword was forged during the Imprisoning War. Now, there's only two meanings to this, and let me say why the first meaning can't be it.

So the Imprisoning War was meant to seal off Ganon, because of his evil wish on the Triforce, which created the Dark World. The backstory then says, that the seven sages forged the Master Sword. The Knights of Hyrule tried to fight them off and the sages looked for a warrior of pure heart to be the wielder of the Master Sword. They were unsuccessful. Luckily, they were able to seal Ganon, and peace returned to Hyrule. Now, that could be the case with Skyward Sword, but that seems most unlikely, because it has been confirmed that Ganon will NOT be in the game. So that is my strongest point in that argument.

Next, it could be possible that the story for Skyward Sword is a fake (which means the story will be of something totally different when the game comes), or it's one of the BIGGEST inconsistencies in Nintendo's part. If the Master Sword was forged DURING the Imprisoning War, then shouldn't Skyward Sword be the Imprisoning War game? The thing is, it isn't because Ganon's not in the game.

So, if you have any way to prove me wrong, please do, because when there's an inconsistency, it just urks me that Nintendo doesn't polish on the story, and leaves it as the least of their priority. Please tell me if I overlooked anything at all. So please share your thoughts.:clap:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
So, if you have any way to prove me wrong, please do, because when there's an inconsistency, it just urks me that Nintendo doesn't polish on the story, and leaves it as the least of their priority. Please tell me if I overlooked anything at all. So please share your thoughts.:clap:
Sure, no problem. SS actually fits in with LttP's backstory very well, and here's why:
Looking at this comparison table, we can see that NoA mistranslated that section, and the original Japanese states that the MS was created in case someone tried to kidnap the Triforce, and that the Sages had to look for it along with the hero during the Seal War. The Master Sword was created long before the Seal War. SS is before the Seal War, so it fits.

geek4887

The Unknown
Sure, no problem. SS actually fits in with LttP's backstory very well, and here's why:
Looking at this comparison table, we can see that NoA mistranslated that section, and the original Japanese states that the MS was created in case someone tried to kidnap the Triforce, and that the Sages had to look for it along with the hero during the Seal War. The Master Sword was created long before the Seal War. SS is before the Seal War, so it fits.

Sure, that's a valid stand point. I'll say a few words on why it could be the Imprisoning War was talking about Skyward Sword. Ok, here it goes. In A Link to the Past, it talks about the Knights of Hyrule. Now, so far, we know that SS's setting is in a school. Most likely for knighthood. So it might refer to that. But they lived in Skyloft, not Hyrule, unless that becomes their official name after Hyrule is founded. But, Hyrule wasn't founded yet during the forging of the Master Sword, so this contradicts with the legend that's been said in A Link to the Past, because the Knights of Hyrule were fighting during the sword was being forged. So, I guess it could still have a stand

Yet again, there was no Ganon. Here, I have a quote that backs up my opinion:
"Suspecting that Ganon's(See how it does not say Ghirahim, or another villain) power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil's bane, or the Master Sword."
Now see how it also says "the people of Hyrule", well Link in SS wasn't exactly Hylian, as he lived in Skyloft. Now I understand that perhaps the people of Skyloft were in Hylian blood, but was there even a "Hyrule" at this point of time? Why couldn't it have been the "founders of Hyrule"?

On another perspective, though Well, that's all I have for now, I guess. :)

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Yet again, there was no Ganon. Here, I have a quote that backs up my opinion:
"Suspecting that Ganon's(See how it does not say Ghirahim, or another villain) power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil's bane, or the Master Sword."
Now see how it also says "the people of Hyrule", well Link in SS wasn't exactly Hylian, as he lived in Skyloft. Now I understand that perhaps the people of Skyloft were in Hylian blood, but was there even a "Hyrule" at this point of time? Why couldn't it have been the "founders of Hyrule"?
As I said, the Japanese does not say that.
"However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce. For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane." You do still have "people of Hyrule" going for you, but there's no mention of Ganon (or any villain-at-large for that matter). There are no knights mentioned here either - they're only part of the actual war, which takes place well after this event.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Maybe there used to be people in Hyrule before that thing we saw on Zelda Dungeon yesterday, about the darkness that invaded the land. It could have tried to invade Hyrule and then the Godess could have saved the people by bringing the land they had into the sky saving them, but leaving the darkness to take over the land.

Djinn

and Tonic
I have taken much of the ALTTP backstory to be something that has changed over time due to the length of time between the events that happened and the present era. Mostly because it somewhat matches the story of OoT, but not completely. There are a great number of differences between the events of OoT and the story of the imprisoning war told in ALTTP. Stories change over time and the small details are sometimes lost or replaced by others depending on the storyteller. Most tales evolve over time between writers and I do not see why it would be any different in Hyrule. Normally when a tale is a few centuries old there will be multiple versions of it with totally differing accounts. Many Greek myths are like this. So over the centuries the story of the hero coming along and defeating the evil Ganondorf (which through retellings and mistranslations may have become Ganon at that point) after a seven year period of rule evolved into a large scale epic involving the knights of Hyrule and the seven sages working together to repel the evil back to the sacred realm. Now this could still be somewhat accurate as I am certain the knights were likely killed off attempting to stop Ganondorf as told in the ALTTP story, just that the time is off. Or that the story of one hero working with the sages transformed into an army of knights working with the sages to make the story sound much more grand. Like most old stories I am sure that even the Hylians have multiple versions of the events of OoT, some might just involve the Hero of Time saving the land, while others raise the scale to an imprisoning war that includes sages, and grand armies of knights fighting back Ganondorf's hordes. While in reality the knights fending off the hordes of monsters happened during the seven year period Link was sealed within the Temple of Time.

Clearly we have seen the Master Sword was not forged specifically for the imprisoning war since it existed before the events of OoT. So it must have had a much older origin.
I am Rauru, one of the ancient Sages... Ages ago, we ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the entrance to the Sacred Realm... This is the Chamber of Sages, inside the Temple of Light... The Temple of Light, situated in the very center of the Sacred Realm, is the last stronghold against Ganondorf's evil forces. The Master Sword--the evil-destroying sword that you pulled out of the Pedestal of Time--was the final key to the Sacred Realm. Link... Don't be alarmed... Look at yourself...! - Rauru
The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch.... Only one worthy of the title of "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time.... However, you were too young to be the Hero of Time.... T
However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce. For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.
Rauru's words do match the ALTTP story in a way, that not only was the Master Sword was forged before Ganondorf claimed the triforce, but it was meant to be a deterrent if someone evil ever got their hands on it. Only in Rauru's time lifting the sword was the key to opening the Door of Time, while the ALTTP story states that it was made to repel an evil person after they claimed the triforce. Each give it a similar purpose but with different executions.

Now if the events of SS are to match the backstory told in OoT and ALTTP, perhaps the villains of SS are also after the triforce. And this is where the gods decide to instruct the people of the land to forge the Master Sword because they came to the conclusion "It cannot be assumed that a good person would get their hands on the triforce."

Now if the events of SS are to match the backstory told in OoT and ALTTP, perhaps the villains of SS are also after the triforce. And this is where the gods decide to instruct the people of the land to forge the Master Sword because they came to the conclusion "It cannot be assumed that a good person would get their hands on the triforce."

I assume "Ultimate Power" from the partally revealed intro should well correspond with the power of the triforce, in which case your statement is likely to be more or less correct. Only time will tell, a time of 51 days to be exact.

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
As I said, the Japanese does not say that.
"However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce. For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane." You do still have "people of Hyrule" going for you, but there's no mention of Ganon (or any villain-at-large for that matter). There are no knights mentioned here either - they're only part of the actual war, which takes place well after this event.

So which is the canon or official translation?! It's pretty hard to construct a theory like that. I used the English translation, because I live in America, sooo...which is the official translation? I tried reading through the GBA ones where it was declared that it's more canon, but it doesn't say anything about the Master Sword in there, so I used the English SNES translation for the reason said above.

Well, it has been confirmed that the Triforce will be playing a different role this time around. If it was supposed to be this super powerful artifact, sought by evil beings, then wouldn't that just be a repeat of Wind Waker?

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
So which is the canon or official translation?! It's pretty hard to construct a theory like that. I used the English translation, because I live in America, sooo...which is the official translation? I tried reading through the GBA ones where it was declared that it's more canon, but it doesn't say anything about the Master Sword in there, so I used the English SNES translation for the reason said above.

Well, it has been confirmed that the Triforce will be playing a different role this time around. If it was supposed to be this super powerful artifact, sought by evil beings, then wouldn't that just be a repeat of Wind Waker?

That is not a very easy question to answer. The localization team at Nintendo of America changed quite a bit from the original story often for no real reason whatsoever. And many times these little changes actually told a very different story from the original story given in the Japanese version. This actually happened a lot more during the SNES era. Sometimes it was to remove more controversial things like religious references or something that would be considered offensive to western players. Also it was generally assumed at the time that no fans would ever really be so interested in breaking down the story to find the deeper points, they would only be interested in playing the games.

However in most cases getting a better more direct translation from fans has made things that make so sense at all become much clearer. This was very evident in TP as there were not only localization errors, but the translators added things like their own colorful names for characters and species that had none at all. This caused a lot of problems when it came to subjects like the oocca.

Nintendo of America does not seem to be holding as strong a stance at maintaining their specific continuity as Nintendo of Japan. Plus most fans would much rather keep the story as it was written by the original writers and not by a handfull of translators who sometimes like to put their own spin on things or change parts so it might not be considered "offensive." Therefore it is more of a case of not really having much trust in the English translation and automatically considering it wrong. So official translation does not hold nearly as much weight as official word of god.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The idea that the Master Sword was forged during the Seal/Imprisoning War is really quite preposterous. Upon release, OoT was the Seal War, and the Master Sword was referred to as "legendary" by Navi, meaning it had been used before the events of OoT (which we will see in SS). Since OoT was the Seal War at that time, it's impossible for the Master Sword to have been forged during it. Even though it (probably) isn't today, I still say it isn't so, simply because (as you stated) Ganon will not be in this game. However, Skyward Sword will definitely depict one of the wars mentioned in Hyrule's history, and that will be the Interloper War. With all the information we have, it's (in every sense of the word) undeniable that the Dark Tribe/"dark interlopers" will be the main evil in this game. There are so many details that I don't really feel like going into detail right now, but I can assure you that this game will be the Interloper War and that the Dark Tribe will be sealed in the Mirror of Twilight at the end of the game.

geek4887

The Unknown
The idea that the Master Sword was forged during the Seal/Imprisoning War is really quite preposterous. Upon release, OoT was the Seal War, and the Master Sword was referred to as "legendary" by Navi, meaning it had been used before the events of OoT (which we will see in SS). Since OoT was the Seal War at that time, it's impossible for the Master Sword to have been forged during it. Even though it (probably) isn't today, I still say it isn't so, simply because (as you stated) Ganon will not be in this game. However, Skyward Sword will definitely depict one of the wars mentioned in Hyrule's history, and that will be the Interloper War. With all the information we have, it's (in every sense of the word) undeniable that the Dark Tribe/"dark interlopers" will be the main evil in this game. There are so many details that I don't really feel like going into detail right now, but I can assure you that this game will be the Interloper War and that the Dark Tribe will be sealed in the Mirror of Twilight at the end of the game.
But, it said so in the game manual that the Sages crafted the sword, fearing Ganondorf's power through the Triforce, so that the Master Sword had to be forged during the Imprisoning War. I think that official game manuals support that idea and that the idea of the Master Sword being forged during the Imprisoning War isn't fully preposterous.

Djinn

and Tonic
But, it said so in the game manual that the Sages crafted the sword, fearing Ganondorf's power through the Triforce, so that the Master Sword had to be forged during the Imprisoning War. I think that official game manuals support that idea and that the idea of the Master Sword being forged during the Imprisoning War isn't fully preposterous.

But the very people who made the game did not say that at all. That Sages made the sword thing was made up by American translators who had nothing to do with writing the original script. So the level of authenticity is much lower when it comes to the American ALTTP manual. Especially so since no Japanese Developer is going to alter their developments to fit with that particular story at all. They still have the correct version in their country and have no real reason to change. Therefore it is the western fans who need to drop the ALTTP manual description as it is incorrect regardless of which employees call it official.

geek4887

The Unknown
But the very people who made the game did not say that at all. That Sages made the sword thing was made up by American translators who had nothing to do with writing the original script. So the level of authenticity is much lower when it comes to the American ALTTP manual. Especially so since no Japanese Developer is going to alter their developments to fit with that particular story at all. They still have the correct version in their country and have no real reason to change. Therefore it is the western fans who need to drop the ALTTP manual description as it is incorrect regardless of which employees call it official.
So does that mean don't trust the North American translations? I'm sorry I'm sort of new to all these translation screw-ups and the like. I simply was looking through game manual scans and got an idea for a theory. :sweat:

Oh, and I guess there was a misunderstanding there, mostly because on my part. What I really meant to say was that the "people of Hyrule" made the Skyward Sword. I think I put my reasons up above already, soo...if there's any more misunderstanding you can check up above :)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
They aren't entirely untrustworthy, but it's often best to go with fan translations when a discrpency is found. These are fan translations, but they're usually accurate since the translators are focused more on getting the original meaning across than localizing it to make more sense to a Western audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom