• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link and Zelda's Relationship in Skyward Sword

S

saraamoo

Ahaha this is an awesome thought. I have a feeling that it won't happen even though I would very much like it to. XD
It's one of those small things that keep the series interesting! I have a feeling that if ever Link and Zelda end up hooking up in the future that Nintendo might make their child the new protagonist in the series to keep LoZ alive. Maybe someone kills Zelda and starts war in Hyrule and since Link (King of Hyrule att) would be to old to journey and in mourning her death the child goes on an epic quest to avenge his mother. This would give a interesting twist to the Lawful Good character that Link was as his child may become a Chaotic Neutral type character....

Just a thought as to what may become of the series if the relationship does happen. XD
A girl can dream.....

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, it seems to be pretty much implied that at least they are among good friendship terms, but I wouldn't like to see them in a relationship just yet - there may be other NPCs in SS that are lot more likeable than Zelda, just like there were in Majora's Mask (Cremia in my opinion) or Ocarina of Time (Saria and Malon in my opinion)! :xd:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
God no! It would ruin the game for me. I have always loved the fact that Link doesn't have a personality, and that lets you impose your play style. If Link got with Zelda, I'd be furious, and it would hinder my ability to enjoy the game slightly.

Besides, the developers have said that they're "great childhood friends." For those of you who don't have a great childhood friend of the opposite sex, let me tell you that it would be extremely weird to have more that friendish feelings for one another, kinda like kissing your sister.

Please Nintendo! Don't make Link and Zelda have a relationship in this game! Please!!

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I'm with Cuju. Link needs to keep his role as a "link" between myself and the other characters. I like to watch other characters develop as a result of their interaction with my character (Link). If my own character develops too much, or is - not as a representative of myself - tied to another character, the game becomes very impersonal and loses a lot of its immersiveness. If Link ever has a relationship with Zelda, I want to be playing as a different character.

What makes the Zelda series stand out - and I believe the developers have pinpointed this - is that the players are the highlight of the experience rather than the main character. If too much focus is drawn to the main character, it'll become just like other games that play more like movies than experiences.

These cries that it would ruin the game crack me up. Yeah, it's not like thousands of games hook up the protagonist without ruining the game. You guys should really play "Persona 4" or something, because that will put those ridiculous notions out of your head.

Giving Link more personality will only make the game better. We will connect with him more and invest in his victory more. And if a personality trait proves unpopular in Link, well they don't have to put it in the next Link they create.

S

saraamoo

If Link ever has a relationship with Zelda, I want to be playing as a different character.

I agree with this as Link's lack of personality does indeed make the player more immersed in the game.

(Therefore I believe my idea for a "next-in-kin" LoZ game would be a good idea :P.)

Forlong, I wouldn't call it a ridiculous notion At least in my experience, playing RPGs where the protagonist makes decisions or the like without the players consent angers me quite a bit. Because the NPC's dialogue uses 'you' when describing Link you automatically attach that label to yourself as you are the one controlling Link. Then again to each his own. If you would like to see more character development in Link then that's fine but I really don't believe that Nintendo would ever end up putting them together unless it meant the end of LoZ

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
These cries that it would ruin the game crack me up. Yeah, it's not like thousands of games hook up the protagonist without ruining the game. You guys should really play "Persona 4" or something, because that will put those ridiculous notions out of your head.
That is precisely the reason I don't think Zelda should follow suit. There are plenty of similar games out there with fully named and characterized protagonists. Zelda is unique in that aspect, and that is the reason I enjoy it above all the others. Now, it wouldn't be fair to say that Zelda's style is "superior" to the others, since, as you say, there are "thousands" of (often quite successful) games that pull off giving the protagonist its own character rather nicely. They're two different styles of storytelling, two different types of experience. Think of the distinction between books and movies. Should one strive to be more like the other? Many may favor one media over the other, but I'd guess quite few would rather the other not exist. If motion-picture-books start popping up, many will argue that they lose the qualities that made books stand out from movies. Variety in experiences not only makes sure there's on that each person will enjoy, but it also makes each individual experience better by having its own distinct qualities.

Giving Link more personality will only make the game better. We will connect with him more and invest in his victory more.
Then it would be his victory, and not ours.

And if a personality trait proves unpopular in Link, well they don't have to put it in the next Link they create.
And leave the guinea pig game scarred forever? I guess I can't argue, looking at their experimentation with cel-shaded graphics back in '02, and what seems to be EAD's pattern.

M

monkeyguy3

I think it's good to give Link a bit of personality. I found the Wind Waker's Link to be the best one because the graphics allowed for his face to be very expressive. One of the most touching Zelda moments I've ever experienced was seeing Link wave goodbye to his friends and family on Outset Island as he sails away on the pirate ship.

This is why even though I didn't approve of Skyward Sword's graphics at first, I've really come around after seeing the various trailers and gameplay videos. It seems like once again, Link is going to have a pretty expressive face. I'm really enjoying his reaction to Ghirahim sneaking up behind him and his expressions when he sees Zelda jump then rushes to catch her. These little details are way better than keeping him an emotionless husk that the player controls. And really, without having Link talk, his personality and development are already pretty limited. I think simply the fact that he's silent is enough to keep it as the player's experience.

Anyways, what I'm getting at here, is that with the emotional connections that we're already seeing in what little footage we even have of the game, I think it's definitely a good idea for the developers to explore Link having relationships on a more in-depth level. I don't think it necessarily has to be with Zelda, but I think it's something they should consider. After what I've seen in these previews, I'm rooting for a relationship between Link and Zelda in Skyward Sword! (although my prediction is that they end up just being friends)

Also, it wouldn't mean Link has to become royalty... Relationships aren't always permanent!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Their romance could be good and could work so long as link has to leave at the end of the game and can't stay with zelda. That would prevent any timeline issues by having link and zelda being related.

Their romance could be good and could work so long as link has to leave at the end of the game and can't stay with zelda. That would prevent any timeline issues by having link and zelda being related.
I fail to see the problem here. So Link and Zelda would be related. What's the problem? They obviously are second cousins at best in most games (might be first cousins in MC). As this is a semi-midevil setting, intermarriage of the royal family would be common. And, since they would have to be second or third cousins in most games, the inbreeding issue is nullified (genetically proven). All these self-righteous "no inbreeding ever" folks have to get over themselves; our species was forced to inbreed at least twice or face extinction (also genetically proven).

Oh, and not every Link is related to the others.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
People don't get that we're supposed to be Link, if Link falls in love with someone, it wouldn't be our choice, which would completely ruin the point of him being called Link.

I know that I didn't like Ilia in Twilight Princess, and I didn't give a fudge about what happened to her. I would choose Malo over Ilia in a Twilight Princess relationship, but nooooo, I have to care more about Ilia.

(As you can probably see from my two last post in this thread, I am extremely against a Link and Zelda relationship. I don't mind that saving damsels in distress thing, I just want to choose Nintendo!)

M

monkeyguy3

People don't get that we're supposed to be Link, if Link falls in love with someone, it wouldn't be our choice, which would completely ruin the point of him being called Link.

I know that I didn't like Ilia in Twilight Princess, and I didn't give a fudge about what happened to her. I would choose Malo over Ilia in a Twilight Princess relationship, but nooooo, I have to care more about Ilia.

(As you can probably see from my two last post in this thread, I am extremely against a Link and Zelda relationship. I don't mind that saving damsels in distress thing, I just want to choose Nintendo!)
I don't understand this viewpoint. It's not like we're really given choices in Zelda to begin with... In all Zelda titles that I can think of, you pretty much just play the game and follow the storyline. And if you choose not to do this, you don't progress in the game! I suppose we have the choice of whether we want to pursue side quests and pieces of heart, but that's pretty inconsequential to the outcome of the game.

I guess I could see an appeal in wanting other characters in a game to have relationships rather than Link (such as the kafei / Anju quest in MM, which happens to be amazing).

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I don't understand this viewpoint. It's not like we're really given choices in Zelda to begin with... In all Zelda titles that I can think of, you pretty much just play the game and follow the storyline. And if you choose not to do this, you don't progress in the game! I suppose we have the choice of whether we want to pursue side quests and pieces of heart, but that's pretty inconsequential to the outcome of the game.

I guess I could see an appeal in wanting other characters in a game to have relationships rather than Link (such as the kafei / Anju quest in MM, which happens to be amazing).

You don't get it. In Zelda games, Link is just a Link between the game and the player, if we are forced to go along with what the games wants us to do in terms of personal choices, then that whole concept Nintendo made Zelda games about is completely ruined...

I disagree with this notion. If Link doesn't care about anyone and anything so that the player would choose, then it's not a Zelda game. With the graphics and gameplay becoming more deeper, why should Link be that shallow and have his motive be filled by the player. If you are allow to choose anything, then Link wouldn't have to take destiny at all. The problem about the arguement "ruining our choices" is that you have no choice but be the hero otherwise the game is over. And the hero must have a motive. If the motive is to save a best friend from motral peril, it doesn't hurt the character Link.

You don't get it. In Zelda games, Link is just a Link between the game and the player, if we are forced to go along with what the games wants us to do in terms of personal choices, then that whole concept Nintendo made Zelda games about is completely ruined...

I recall that Zelda games gives you different paths, different quests, and different motives. But the end is always the same. Link defeats the great evil and save Zelda. In Majora's Mask, you can decide not to help those in need and even laugh at them. But in the end, you beat Skull Kid and save Termina. If it is your choice, then why didn't Link just leave Termina. Link's Awakening, you can bond with islanders and live there forever, but you will have end the dream to save the Wind Fish. Link's main motive is saving Zelda, so whatever drives him to do so is something that you can't choose. Same goes The choices that Zelda presents are on sidequests for treasures and heart pieces, aiding characters in need, and finding shortcuts across the overworld. Zelda is not a true RPG, it's a Zelda game. The character Link is indeed a link from you and Hyrule, not because you choose the fate of Hyrule, but because you choose on how to save it.

M

monkeyguy3

No, I do get it. What you're saying is that Zelda should be an impersonal experience. This isn't Mass Effect... The player is forced to go along with whatever storyline Nintendo gives us. Therefore, if Link makes any personal choice, it's one we didn't choose. Which is apparently "bad".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom