• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is Navi a Fake Fairy?

geek4887

The Unknown
This is probably nothing that big, but I was just wondering what the purpose of collecting fairies to heal you, when Navi is a fairy herself and she should be capable to heal you. I dunno, but it's just weird how your partner's a fairy, but it can't help you except for Z-targeting and some obvious hints. Is Navi some sort of failed fairy or something? I mean, EVER SINGLE fairy (except for partners) CAN heal you. I don't know, what are your guys' thought on the subject?

No, Navi is not a failed fairy. Navi is just an ordinary fairy that was sent to be Link's partner by the Great Deku Tree to help him with his quest.

I think that in the world of Zelda, there are fairies that serve different functions. Navi is what I like to call a "Helper Fairy." Her kind helps with things such as traveling, navigating, etc. Others in the series include the "healers" that you mentioned, the upgrading ones, the elite healer (fat fairies), etc. There are even anti-fairies, but their status as true fairies remains unknown. You also can't forget the god-like fairies: Great Fairies, Queen of Fairies, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I'd actually consider Navi more advanced on the "fairy hierarchy" than average healing fairies, considering that she is one of the guardian fairies the Great Deku Tree assigns to the Kokiri, AND since she was specifically assigned to Link (a position I doubt the Great Deku Tree would have given just any guardian fairy). Not to mention, healing fairies do not seem capable of speech, though every other type of fairy can (the Great Fairies, Fairy Queens, I think even stray fairies for that matter), making me believe that they are the bottom rung of the "fairy hierarchy" based on abilities/status. Perhaps guardian fairies like Navi never needed healing abilities because they serve the special purpose of accompanying Kokiri, who under the Great Deku Tree's protection cannot be hurt, thus rendering healing abilities useless.

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
I'd actually consider Navi more advanced on the "fairy hierarchy" than average healing fairies, considering that she is one of the guardian fairies the Great Deku Tree assigns to the Kokiri, AND since she was specifically assigned to Link (a position I doubt the Great Deku Tree would have given just any guardian fairy). Not to mention, healing fairies do not seem capable of speech, though every other type of fairy can (the Great Fairies, Fairy Queens, I think even stray fairies for that matter), amking me believe that they are the bottom rung of the "fairy hierarchy" based on abilities/status. Perhaps guardian fairies like Navi never needed healing abilities because they serve the special purpose of accompanying Kokiri, who under the Great Deku Tree's protection cannot be hurt, thus rendering healing abilities useless.

Does that mean that there's some sort of Fairy Evolution? Or perhaps fairies are just another race, just like how the Gorons and Zoras are? Like you said, there are Great Fairies, and Fairy Queens, so maybe some kind of status to fairies?

Big Octo

=^)
Does that mean that there's some sort of Fairy Evolution? Or perhaps fairies are just another race, just like how the Gorons and Zoras are? Like you said, there are Great Fairies, and Fairy Queens, so maybe some kind of status to fairies?
Now that you said that. the title of this thread should probably be changed now that we've gotten over the Navi issue, but we are now discussing something new.

A title such as "Fairy Evolution." Also if we did that, it'd also be smart to move this to World of Zelda.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin

I'd think, given that they are a magical race by nature, that they have some sort of power hierarchy among them. The closest analogy I can make is the hierarchy of gods in polytheistic religions, whereby there is the ruler of all gods who is the most powerful (ie Fairy Queen), lesser gods who are still powerful nonetheless (ie Great Fairies), demi-gods or whatever that serve special roles (ie guardian/helper/stray fairies and the like), and then spirits/nymphs who are mystical in nature but not on the same level as gods (healing fairies). Now this is in no way a perfect analogy, but given the different abilities and strength of said abilities shown by the various types of fairies, I'd think it's plausible to attribute those differences to some sort of hierarchy similar to the kind I described.

Now that you said that. the title of this thread should probably be changed now that we've gotten over the Navi issue, but we are now discussing something new.

A title such as "Fairy Evolution." Also if we did that, it'd also be smart to move this to World of Zelda.
I think it's a valid tangent to explaining why I wouldn't call Navi a failed fairy. If this fairy evolution/hierarchy topic continues more successfully then we can re-evaluate the situation. Also, can we not make suggestions about how to moderate a thread within the thread itself? It's unproductive and reporting/contacting a mod works better. Thanks.

Last edited:

Junehs

[the.Jumping.Bean] ~
Navi was sent by The Great Deku Tree to aid Link in his quest. She kind of becomes his friend (even though she bugs me lol).

Nickster

Sensei Sampai Sama
In the world of Zelda, there are four branches of the Fairy class. Assist, Cleric, Warrior, and Queen.

Assist fairies (which is Navi) advance at level 10. They are here to assist other classes in the world of Zelda. Their spells are; Scan, Reflect, Shell, etc.
At level 50, they achieve their ultimate skill, Haste. This skill can increase the party's mobility by 20%.

Cleric fairies advance at lvl 15. If the party member is in need of health or mana, clerics are here to help. Their spells are; Heal, Mana regen, Protect, Dispel, etc.
Their ultimate skill is achieved at level 50, which is Advance Resurrection. This skill can revive up to 5 other players at once with a 3 minute cool down.

Warrior fairies advance at lvl 15. They are made for offense and can also assist other offensive classes. Their spells are; Great Spin Attack, Advance item capacity, Extreme Defense, etc.
The ultimate skill for this branch is achieved at lvl 30. Great Fairy Sword will last for 5 minutes and will do twice the amount of damage your current weapon does.

Queen fairies are the generals of all the other fairies and advance at lvl 30. They deal black and white magic. Many of their spells are; fire arrows, ice arrows, light arrows, holy, etc.
Their ultimate skill can be achieved at lvl 70 which is Blessing of the Queen. This increases attack, defense, critical, elemental resistance, health, and mana by 30%. This skill will last for 1 hour, but the cool down lasts for 3 hours.

I also believe that the "healfairies" die after they healed one person like bees who die after the first time they sting.

Last edited:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
No, I certainly believe that Navi is a real fairy. I believe that the reason why Navi doesn't heal you herself, is because doing so would drain all her energy and make it so that she had to go off somewhere to rest for several days. That's unacceptable during a quest to save the world, so Link instead calls on other fairies to take care of healing.

I do think that there may be something to the whole concept of fairies having ranks, and Navi being above the fairies who typically perform healing, but I believe that all the fairies possess the same basic abilities. I just think that Navi has logical reasons for choosing not to heal Link herself. The other fairies could probably talk, but I think they simply don't have anything to say that Navi hasn't already said to the player.

Mikepoke101

Just Chilling.
I personally consider the faires from the forest a different race from the faries of the fountains. I believe the faries of the forest do not have healing ablities but are more wise and intelligent, which is why they are your protectors, the fountain faires on the other hand are created by the great faries as a healing method for anyone who is in critical health and close to death, They do not seem as intelligent by the fact that they cannot talk or give any advise. But this is just a personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom