• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tunic Options

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I would love to see a Shiekah Oufit/Tunic!!! It would make Link more quiet to get past enemies sensitive to noise and could help him camaflouge. This would be useful against wall-masters and floor-masters!!! There could also me a thief mission, or spying mission using it!!!I think it would be possible since in OOT they said that the shiekah was a tribe from back then and since SS is 100 or so years before, it kind of fits perfectly! (Imagine a real ninja Link!)

.......Um...Link's not a Sheikah, though. He'd have no reason to wear the clothing. Besides, what would be the point? Thieving and spying in Zelda? That's just not Zelda. I'm sorry, but that would really be a terrible idea to be put in a Zelda game. Not trying to down on you, but it just wouldn't work. At all.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
.......Um...Link's not a Sheikah, though. He'd have no reason to wear the clothing. Besides, what would be the point? Thieving and spying in Zelda? That's just not Zelda. I'm sorry, but that would really be a terrible idea to be put in a Zelda game.
Link isn't a Sheikah, but it could still enhance his stealth, that's the reason to wear the clothes. We spied on Tetra in TWW, we took out guards in OoT, why drop the idea for SS? It isn't a terrible idea, it's far better than leaving Link with the bland Hero's Clothes.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Link isn't a Sheikah, but it could still enhance his stealth, that's the reason to wear the clothes. We spied on Tetra in TWW, we took out guards in OoT, why drop the idea for SS?

We never spied on Tetra, what are you talking about? Spying has never been in Zelda. Stealth has, but we're already doing that in the Siren World. Enhancing stealth abilities would be more like an RPG, which is not a Zelda aspect. Again, it just wouldn't work, and many fans would seriously freak on Nintendo if this were to happen.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
The only stealth sections in the game might be the Siren World, I'm not sure why he needs an extra tunic for that. I'm definitely expecting a diving tunic, though. He has a dive meter, so if we want swimming sections....

EDIT: Ignore the first part of my post, JuicieJ already stated it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
We never spied on Tetra, what are you talking about? Spying has never been in Zelda. Stealth has, but we're already doing that in the Siren World. Enhancing stealth abilities would be more like an RPG, which is not a Zelda aspect. Again, it just wouldn't work, and many fans would seriously freak on Nintendo if this were to happen.
*Ganon's curse is active*
We arrive at Windfall Islands trying to catch up with the Pirates. And look, we go into the Bomb shop to do some eavesdropping for that code to the pirate ship! :O
Have you had stealth increases in Zelda before? No? So how do you know it wouldn't work? Nintendo brought higher technology to the series in the form of trains and steamboats and while that wasn't great, people didn't just knock it off. Nintendo also brought drastically different graphics and those STILL worked. Something as simple as stealth wouldn't kill the series. I'm not saying it has to be a core gameplay element, but for little sidemissions it could totally work.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
*Ganon's curse is active*
We arrive at Windfall Islands trying to catch up with the Pirates. And look, we go into the Bomb shop to do some eavesdropping for that code to the pirate ship! :O

That's not really spying. That's seeing what's going on, as we couldn't get through the front door. (Oh, and the :O was highly unnecessary. It comes off as arrogance.)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That is spying. But that's besides the point, stealth could still work in SS though I doubt we'll see it. Maybe in a later Zelda game/Nintendo IP?
(The :O was unnecessary, you speak the truth, but so is your commenting on it. That comes off as arrogance. Let's leave it at that.)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd say why, but it's off-topic and doesn't even matter at this point. It's no big deal.

If a Goron 'tunic' does find it's way into SS, I wonder if it'll be a simple recolor or if it will be an actual armor type like the Zora Armor from TP was. I prefer the recolors over the nice looking armor, but that's just me.

Calm down, you two. No bickering in the threads.

While I do agree the idea of a Sheikah tunic is somewhat silly and borderlining on a fan idea that doesn't work well within the world, the idea of stealth-enhancing garb is not an inherently bad idea. We've had a number of items throughout the series (like the Magic Cape from ALttP) that come close without actually doing it, and it would fit in well with existing stealth mechanics as well as the concept of tunics and equipment being more interesting and giving you full abilities instead of simply making you impervious to some kind of element. That's what was awesome about Twilight Princess, with the Zora Armor.

I predicted that the game would have an expanded inventory system (thinking along the lines of OoT's equipment or TWW's spoils), and spoils have more or less been confirmed. Yet, at the same time, we know you will have a multitude of shields to choose from, so I expect an equipment screen like OoT or TP, and I would love it if you upgraded this equipment regularly, going from simple stuff like the Zora Tunic to the full Zora Armor which allows you to swim. I really hope Nintendo does a lot with this.

.......Um...Link's not a Sheikah, though. He'd have no reason to wear the clothing. Besides, what would be the point? Thieving and spying in Zelda? That's just not Zelda. I'm sorry, but that would really be a terrible idea to be put in a Zelda game. Not trying to down on you, but it just wouldn't work. At all.
As already stated, stealth aspects are prevalent in the series, and while it's been confirmed in the Siren World, that doesn't disprove the possibility that it will occur in other places NOR that it would be a good idea. I don't think one can say it's a terrible idea. And besides, thieving and spying are good ideas. It would be nice to see a Zelda game where the stealth is something a little more than just sneaking by guards. Actual political reasons, for example, spying for information, or trying to steal something or someONE (Zelda?) away from the enemy.

Enhancing stealth abilities would be more like an RPG, which is not a Zelda aspect. Again, it just wouldn't work, and many fans would seriously freak on Nintendo if this were to happen.
You're forgetting Adventure of Link with its RPG elements. Or really, there's even the confirmed RPG stuff in Skyward Sword. Collecting spoilers (also in TWW) and changing equipment (also in OoT, TP, OoX, etc.) are all RPG elements as well. Furthermore, the idea of a Stamina Meter or Shield Durability are strongly reminiscent of Western RPGs like Diablo. Bottom line is Zelda constantly borrows from RPGs, and did so from as early as the beginning of the series. RPG elements are not completely contrary to the series history nor its nature, and while I do agree fans would initially freak out, some added depth to the existing RPG traits would likely evolve from the fans freaking out to the fans loving it. OoX went pretty far with having stat-altering ring accessories, and I don't hear anyone complaining about those. Hell you even had to find them and identify them like loot in a Diablo-style RPG.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
While I do agree the idea of a Sheikah tunic is somewhat silly and borderlining on a fan idea that doesn't work well within the world, the idea of stealth-enhancing garb is not an inherently bad idea. We've had a number of items throughout the series (like the Magic Cape from ALttP) that come close without actually doing it, and it would fit in well with existing stealth mechanics as well as the concept of tunics and equipment being more interesting and giving you full abilities instead of simply making you impervious to some kind of element. That's what was awesome about Twilight Princess, with the Zora Armor.

I predicted that the game would have an expanded inventory system (thinking along the lines of OoT's equipment or TWW's spoils), and spoils have more or less been confirmed. Yet, at the same time, we know you will have a multitude of shields to choose from, so I expect an equipment screen like OoT or TP, and I would love it if you upgraded this equipment regularly, going from simple stuff like the Zora Tunic to the full Zora Armor which allows you to swim. I really hope Nintendo does a lot with this.

As already stated, stealth aspects are prevalent in the series, and while it's been confirmed in the Siren World, that doesn't disprove the possibility that it will occur in other places NOR that it would be a good idea. I don't think one can say it's a terrible idea. And besides, thieving and spying are good ideas. It would be nice to see a Zelda game where the stealth is something a little more than just sneaking by guards. Actual political reasons, for example, spying for information, or trying to steal something or someONE (Zelda?) away from the enemy.

You're forgetting Adventure of Link with its RPG elements. Or really, there's even the confirmed RPG stuff in Skyward Sword. Collecting spoilers (also in TWW) and changing equipment (also in OoT, TP, OoX, etc.) are all RPG elements as well. Furthermore, the idea of a Stamina Meter or Shield Durability are strongly reminiscent of Western RPGs like Diablo. Bottom line is Zelda constantly borrows from RPGs, and did so from as early as the beginning of the series. RPG elements are not completely contrary to the series history nor its nature, and while I do agree fans would initially freak out, some added depth to the existing RPG traits would likely evolve from the fans freaking out to the fans loving it. OoX went pretty far with having stat-altering ring accessories, and I don't hear anyone complaining about those. Hell you even had to find them and identify them like loot in a Diablo-style RPG.

Fair enough, but I still don't think actual thievery is a good idea for the Zelda series. Yes, we've had some stealth stuff, and I don't mind that, but it's just...having something that involves sneaking into a base, or something, and taking some important item just doesn't seem like the Zelda style to me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sorry JJ that I've been highly irritable lately. That was unneeded.

We've seen the idea of taking an important item (or, rather a sidequest item) in Zelda as well. Majora's Mask has us waiting for Sakon and then beating him up to get the Bomb Bag bag, in which case our reward is the Blast Mask. We snuck in with Kafei to get the Sun's Mask back. In both cases, it involved some kind of spying and thievery (although in the former's case, we had mere doubts of Sakon hiding and it's more likely that we are just "returning an item"). Majora's Mask wasn't cited as a departure from Zelda norm, besides it's darker tone at least. Gameplay was still the same, we even had things like leading a circus, getting a band back together, and many other things that aren't part of Zelda 'style', but they all made it in with little to no harm to the overall story/game.

There was shield durability in Diablo? I know you can't run forever (unless you take a stamina pot, and that's limited too), but I never recall my shield breaking.

Fair enough, but I still don't think actual thievery is a good idea for the Zelda series. Yes, we've had some stealth stuff, and I don't mind that, but it's just...having something that involves sneaking into a base, or something, and taking some important item just doesn't seem like the Zelda style to me.
You steal important items and people away from enemies in almost every Zelda game, though. The Triforce Shards in LoZ, Pendants and Maidens in ALttP, the instruments in LA, the Essences in OoX, the Sages in OoT, the Giants in MM, the Fused Shadows and Mirror Shards in TP... I could go on and on.

I think the series could seriously stand to innovate a little in your methods and motivations. It's always, every single time, about invading a dungeon and finding some artifact. Can't we ever have some variety in this? Can't some dungeons not contain a shard of an artifact or one needs to complete a set in order to do something crazy? Can't every once in a while, at least during intermediate dungeons, we do something more unusual, and hopefully something a little more grounded? They've already almost sorta promised that in Skyward Sword the gameplay will have more variety, particularly between dungeons, and I think that moving forward, this is a good thing for the series. Certainly have the kind of stuff we've had before, but adding in some new stuff in-between is a good idea too.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that we have a whole Zelda game involving sneaking into enemy bases and stealing stuff. I don't think many people want a game where all the dungeons have any kind of 100% solid concept. All kinds of Zelda games have proposed unique moments that are a little odd when you compare them to the series as a whole, like the showdown in TP's Hidden Village or Ocarina of Time's Shadow Temple. Just because it's one moment that feels unusual or contrary to the series' standard doesn't mean that's a bad thing if it's just one moment. That's variety.

(EDIT)
Damn you Vanitas for saying the same freakin' thing I did. :P

There was shield durability in Diablo? I know you can't run forever (unless you take a stamina pot, and that's limited too), but I never recall my shield breaking.
Yeah, all your equipment had a durability rating and could break. At least in Diablo 2. I know weapons had it, but I was pretty sure all armor did too.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
We've seen the idea of taking an important item (or, rather a sidequest item) in Zelda as well. Majora's Mask has us waiting for Sakon and then beating him up to get the Bomb Bag bag, in which case our reward is the Blast Mask. We snuck in with Kafei to get the Sun's Mask back. In both cases, it involved some kind of spying and thievery (although in the former's case, we had mere doubts of Sakon hiding and it's more likely that we are just "returning an item"). Majora's Mask wasn't cited as a departure from Zelda norm, besides it's darker tone at least. Gameplay was still the same, we eve

I was meaning more along the lines of a story element. Those things in MM were basically side-quests (even though the whole game was connected together). Majora's Mask was so much different from the other Zelda games that I don't think it's incredibly accurate to use those two parts of the game to put into a "normal" Zelda game.

You steal important items and people away from enemies in almost every Zelda game, though. The Triforce Shards in LoZ, Pendants and Maidens in ALttP, the instruments in LA, the Essences in OoX, the Sages in OoT, the Giants in MM, the Fused Shadows and Mirror Shards in TP... I could go on and on.

That's a bit different, as the whole games are designed around finding and collecting certain items to beat the game. It's not so much stealing things with dungeons as it is finding them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Stealing and sneaking around isn't good for kids (Zelda is primarily a kid's series at least by rating) so I doubt it would be a story element. It could be used solely in sidequests/mini missions and still get by easily. I'm not saying we have to revamp the Zelda formula, but like Axle said we could use some variety. The minigames and sidequests that we got recently (not counting MM) are too similar to each other. "Fetch Quest: 10 out of X Heart Pieces Found" would be in my quest log had Zelda been an RPG spanning multiple expansions.

Examples of sidequests that could use variety are TP's Golden Bugs and Poe Souls (seriously, they were literally running around collecting this and that item - there was no challenge but finding them in the first place and that was due to the size of Hyrule Field, not them being in hardtospot locations), while two really nice story driven elements that sadly were not used as a type of repeatable minigame/mini-mission would be shepherding Telma and Ilia across Kakariko (Rescue missions for rupees or Guidance missions for rupees) and also the Sumo-Wrestling (every Hero needs to protect his title, right? You can't just beat Gor Coron and walk off!). Both of those story-based minigames would drive off of the Zelda formula but if done right (meaning clean out any gamebreaking bugs/glitches), would have undoubtedly increased fan appeal and opinion of TP which otherwise was a bad Zelda game.

Similar to the above two wouldbe minigames, we sneaked around in Gerudo Fortress in MM to escape, and we did leave with a good deal of the Zora Eggs. Yeah, we did it without any special tunic. But, using the Stone Mask was a method of increasing your stealth (that worked every time, xD). Not only was it valuable, but it was there in the first place, side item or not. If you won't take MM as an example, we literally were forced to sneak in and recover the carpenters in OoT, and that was the clearcut objective if simply escaping wasn't already a priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom