• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Nintendo Console: Wii U

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I like everything the console and controller does except for one thing. It's built purely for asymmetric co-op, not symmetric co-op. Though asymmetric gameplay is a frontier that hasn't been explored much in video games, I still lament the fact that you'll have to completely forget all about having two controllers and say, playing a first person shooter with your friends on their own controller. I think Nintendo is limiting themselves here.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I like everything the console and controller does except for one thing. It's built purely for asymmetric co-op, not symmetric co-op. Though asymmetric gameplay is a frontier that hasn't been explored much in video games, I still lament the fact that you'll have to completely forget all about having two controllers and say, playing a first person shooter with your friends on their own controller. I think Nintendo is limiting themselves here.
what do you mean asymmetric. i know what that means, i just don't understand your point of view. please explain more.

TopherD05

Hyrulian Knight
everyone is a little upset cause they didn't reveal anything about the console but it sorta makes sense in a way..i mean for the wii they revealed the console first then the controller..i guess this time they are just doing it in the opposite manner. I'm sure more information on the console will come at TGS.

I think it's an amazing idea, though it looks somehow daunting. It provides a lot of room for innovation, though I think alot of developers will have difficulty utilizing that space to its full potential because it's different from the way we've played games the last 30 years, which I think is part of the reason Nintendo's stock prices have fallen 10% since the announcement. That and the lack of information about the system.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
what do you mean asymmetric. i know what that means, i just don't understand your point of view. please explain more.

I just think they're shooting themselves in the foot by creating a controller/console that does asymmetric multiplayer but not symmetric multiplayer. If they had more than one per console, we would be able to play multiplayer Mario Kart with the controller, but since there's only one, you can only play multiplayer Mario Kart on the existing WiiMote and Classic Controller. I HAVE FAMILY AND FRIENDS THAT PLAY MARIO KART TOO, NINTENDO!!

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
If you need graphics to make a game console good, then you are not a true gamer. Thats all I'm saying about graphics. As for the library, WHAT!? The wii had one of the best, no THE best library of this generation. Brawl, okami, mario wii, donkey kong country returns, twilight princess, galaxy 1 & 2, red steel two, no more heroes one and two, metroid prime three, and tatsunoko vs. capcom. I could go on for a Loooooooong time. I know I'm missing tons of classics, but you get the point. Do not, EVER judge a console by it's graphics, period. The n64 has crappy graphics nowadays, and that is a BA console. And don't say the wii has a bad library, because THAT. STATEMENT. IS. FALSE.
The wii had some great games I never said it had a bad library, and i thought it was a good console, but i really want the graphics to be good. I'm not saying it needs them to be good. I just think it would be a better console. and the N64 was old. its a great console, but it's graphics were good at the time. And whoever said i was a true gamer? I don't even want to be a gamer (also, it depends on opinion on whether or not you thought the games were good. I hated galaxy 1, and galaxy 2 in my opinion was a copy with different levels. I don't like patformers that mush so i didn't buy DKCR. I don't really like fighters that much either. And okami was just a port.(still an amazing game though) I actually thought the PS3 had the best library, and i don't even own one.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I just think they're shooting themselves in the foot by creating a controller/console that does asymmetric multiplayer but not symmetric multiplayer. If they had more than one per console, we would be able to play multiplayer Mario Kart with the controller, but since there's only one, you can only play multiplayer Mario Kart on the existing WiiMote and Classic Controller. I HAVE FAMILY AND FRIENDS THAT PLAY MARIO KART TOO, NINTENDO!!
yeah... i see what you mean. but, i heard that you could use more then 1 controller... i don't remember who said it, but it's in this thread.

Anyway, i think, since the WiiU isn't that far in development, they'll do anything and everything to make the new console great...

(written on my 3DS)

The Wii U is easily one of the most impressive pieces of technology I've ever seen. Streaming between the television and a game controller has been done before, but Nintendo does it in such a fantastic way. Also, the controller is very cool, it's sort of an iPad mixed with a Wii Controller. I'm really interested to see where the controller goes in terms of hardware and features in the future. I also like how Nintendo is sticking with the Wii name, because it's been so widely regarded and almost everyone knows of the Wii, so it's in a way like a sequel to the Wii, which is a great idea. Also, I really appreciate the amount of third-party support that the console is getting. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Darksiders 2, and more! This is a dream come true for hardcore gamers, because Nintendo now has their foot in the door of the hardcore crowd, which is a great leap in the right direction. I also appreciate the HD graphics, because it's about time that Nintendo got on board with HD.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Once again, Nintendo is put at the forefront of video game innovation, yet, I have mixed feelings about WiiU. The thinking behind the tablet-style, independent screen controller was really impressive and certainly something new. (Some people might contest that this is just a better version of the GBA-Gamecube hookup idea, but I think that's kind of a far cry comparison). Despite the fact that the idea is fresh and cool, I wasn't drooling over the reveal. I'm as Nintendo fangirly as the next guy, but I'm not itching to buy the thing. This system looks expensive and maybe my young-adult subconscious is holding me back since I'm buying my own video games and systems these days. I think I'll be waiting years to get a WiiU after it's initial release. My current Wii was a holiday gift back in '06..if I were buying it myself, I probably would've waited to see the sales and the library, and I plan on doing so for WiiU.

I can't speak for the rest of the community, but the WiiU doesn't really appeal to me from a personal life-style point of view. Technical cool-ness? Yes. Must-have gadget? No. I usually play video games on my own TV, or when I'm home alone or something, when I know I won't be interrupted. I rarely cross paths with anyone when I'm in game-mode and hardly ever have to deal with the dilemma of fighting over the TV, taking my game elsewhere, or anything. I'm surprised by how large the screen controller is, not necessarily a bad thing, but that'll be a new experience for most people. I will say, I think the use of the screen as an item menu, map, and handheld arsenal is pretty great, and useful, as we already saw with the Zelda demo. And even though Nintendo pulled out all the big name third parties to talk about how excited they were, I have a feeling that it'll fizzle out quickly. Who knows? I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but for the time being, I'm a tad skeptical. I don't find it very practical for myself, and I'm still more compelled to buy a 3DS and/or a PS3 first.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I've discovered some good stuff on the WiiU recently, the bird demo, specifically:

[video=youtube;GcapRBQoMWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcapRBQoMWk[/video]

Many people assume, based on the Wii being underpowered, that so will the WiiU. I'm not saying people here say that, though.

While graphics don't make the console, some of the stuff they showed made it clear that they are at least taking a bit more priority in them.

The bird demo displays some indirect lightning techniques, which, while not obvious, are very advanced. In fact, they are impossible on the PS3 and the Xbox360. Those techniques are to be usually reserved for CGI animation.

At least they're making some progress there. Just pointing out.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Dont forget people from wat i heard the wii u is still a prototype the final version could b much different.
I agree, dispute your bad grammar.

Guys, the WiiU is still VERY early in development, so the end product will probably MUCH different. They'll probably add stuff, drop some stuff, make things the best they can be.

Last edited:

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
The Wii U being HD and all, I can expect to see Wii U's on little PS3 fanboys lists because the Wii U has better graphics.

I could care less about them, even if they we're retro, I'd still buy it. The New Control is pretty revolutionary, give it five years before PS3 copies them again and Zelda Wii U looks amazing. I feel like killing Armogohma again :P.

And I hope that the Controller is much more bigger and easir to control. I want to have a nice grip, not look like I am posing for a picture on an Ipad when playing Metroid Prime 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom