• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Phi, What do we Know?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
EDIT BY MOD : This is now gonna be a generic thread about Phi. Carry on.

All right, so I'm assuming we've all seen Phi in the latest Skyward Sword trailer (of course we have). It was really nice to see her for the first time in 3D graphics. However, there is something more interesting about her. Her design basically hasn't changed a bit. This is very important, as it relates to a thing I mentioned constantly after the GDC trailer when people were saying that Ghirahim (before he had a name) could just be the "sword girl" (Phi) redesigned. That her design was that of the Master Sword. She has 6 characteristics of the Master Sword:
1zfpo5g.jpg

1.) Her head (the blade)
2.) Her cloak (the wing-like extensions on the hilt)
3.) Her blue gem (the yellow gem in the middle of the hilt)
4.) Her torso (the area in-between the hilt and the actual blade section)
5.) Her "hips" (the little part on the bottom of the hilt)
6.) Her legs (the handle)

skyward_sword_girl_screenshot_by_heey1888-d3ifw9b.jpg
Until recently, I was constantly using this to prove that Phi would transform back and forth from the Skyward Sword to her humanoid form, and that she was not just a spirit in the sword. While we know that not to be true now, I still stand by that in the fact that I believe that's what Nintendo was originally going to do. In the leaked concept art from 2009, Link did not have a sword in his hand. At E3 2010, they told us that Link would be swordless at times during the game. I see that as clear evidence that Phi would transform back and forth between blade form and humanoid form throughout the game. That she was neither the humanoid form nor the blade form, but both. Like Ganon and Ganondorf. Nevertheless, they changed it on us later in the development to where the Skyward Sword no longer has the same design as the Master Sword. In a demo video, we saw Phi come out of the sword after Link got an upgrade to the Beetle and talk about the new upgrade. Since she comes in and out of the blade (for things like hunting for treasure), it's quite possible that Phi mixes with Link's starting sword in a sense, creating the Skyward Sword. We know, however, that some time during the game, the Skyward Sword will become the Master Sword. With the new information we have on the Skyward Sword, it's quite clear that Phi will, through some power, whether her own or some external one, morph completely with the Skyward Sword and become the Master Sword. This goes hand-in-hand with what I was saying about her having the same form as the Master Sword. Only, it's kind of reversed now. The Master Sword is Phi put into blade form. In other words, Phi sort of is the Master Sword. The trade-off will be that she can no longer roam free, but her consciousness will be sealed in the sword, and she will become the Blade of Evil's Bane. This would explain quite well of why the Master Sword can tell if the next Hero is trying to pull out the blade or not. So, what I was saying for the longest time until that demo video is debunked now, but what I said about Phi being the design of the Master Sword still stands strong. This is just something I felt like sharing with you guys.

EDIT: Trinen said Link will sort of forge the Master Sword along the way, so that makes me think we'll be getting some upgrades for the blade along the way, and then late in the game, something along the lines of what I said will happen will take place.

Last edited:
it's hard to tell anything about phi because we really don't know that much about her or what will happen in ss. so i'm not sure how she will become the master sword or what will cause her to become the master sword. i'm not sure if she is a spirt because of the way she speaks is a lot like a computer or a robot. it is hard to tell what she is at the moment. i need more information to make a sound opinion about her. you have a good theory. we will see when ss comes out if you're right.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
it's hard to tell anything about phi because we really don't know that much about her or what will happen in ss. so i'm not sure how she will become the master sword or what will cause her to become the master sword. i'm not sure if she is a spirt because of the way she speaks is a lot like a computer or a robot. it is hard to tell what she is at the moment. i need more information to make a sound opinion about her. you have a good theory. we will see when ss comes out if you're right.

Well, we know that she's in the sword. And that she powers the Skyward Sword, or something. And we know that the Skyward Sword will become the Master Sword. And with her features being the same as that on the Master Sword, I really see no other real explanation but this. I know I can't exactly say this is 100% correct, but I'm very confident in this.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Her design hasn't changed a bit.
One of the wings is darker. ...not that that matters. just something interesting I noticed.
At E3 2010, they told us that Link would be swordless at times during the game.
I think they were referring to the Siren World segments. Link has to leave his sword in the ground in order to enter the Siren World. But that would include also leaving Phi behind. The concept art then still supports what you're saying.
i'm not sure if she is a spirt because of the way she speaks is a lot like a computer or a robot.
There's some evidence to suggest that she's the same kind of being as Ghirahim. If you think about it, she has an evident lack of personality while Ghirahim has quite unique and abundant personality. That's a strategy that's sometimes employed with certain types of characters. Their differences are emphasized to highlight them as unique characters. I expect that there will be a wide range of personalities among the other members of this race. It'll make each one stand out and be memorable, and allow players to pick their favorites (or least favorites).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think they were referring to the Siren World segments. Link has to leave his sword in the ground in order to enter the Siren World. But that would include also leaving Phi behind. The concept art then still supports what you're saying.

Oh, I didn't realize that he had to leave his sword behind. Hm. That's interesting.

There's some evidence to suggest that she's the same kind of being as Ghirahim. If you think about it, she has an evident lack of personality while Ghirahim has quite unique and abundant personality. That's a strategy that's sometimes employed with certain types of characters. Their differences are emphasized to highlight them as unique characters. I expect that there will be a wide range of personalities among the other members of this race. It'll make each one stand out and be memorable, and allow players to pick their favorites (or least favorites).

Wait, how is that evidence to say they're similar beings?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Wait, how is that evidence to say they're similar beings?
Oh, sorry, that's not the evidence I was talking about. That would be terrible evidence! xD
I didn't bother to mention the jewel or the fact that they both look like swords (both of which are debatable and could throw this thread off-topic).

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I think the "jewel" may refer to a piece of the triforce they may possibly be holding, and Ghirahim doesn't look much like the Guilded Sword except for diamonds, and the diamonds concept is based off of the golden ratio, which is Phi.

I do believe Sir Locke is referring to the diamond shape that both Phi and Lord Ghirahim share. While Lord Ghirahim's is red, Phi's is blue; these two colors are usually contrasts to one another. I wonder what exactly could this signify, if anything.

By the way: Phi's blue diamond can clearly be seen on her chest, while LG's red one can be seen on his belt waist.

Pen

The game is on!
I think Phi is the spirit of the Skyward Sword. In the game the spirit will leave the sword, which will make the sword slightly different. So after those events we have (instead of one Skyward Sword) one Master Sword and one Fairy Queen.

Garo

Boy Wonder
She will almost certainly be instrumental in creating the Master Sword, though in what capacity is debatable. I would speculate that her becoming part of, or being removed from, the Skyward Sword is what would cause it to become the Master Sword.

But again, speculation.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
She will almost certainly be instrumental in creating the Master Sword, though in what capacity is debatable. I would speculate that her becoming part of, or being removed from, the Skyward Sword is what would cause it to become the Master Sword.

But again, speculation.

If that's the case, then how does the Master Sword have her design? (I'm just asking, here. Not pulling one of those "I'm right, you're wrong" things. Seems that many people take me that way unnecessarily.)

Garo

Boy Wonder
If that's the case, then how does the Master Sword have her design? (I'm just asking, here. Not pulling one of those "I'm right, you're wrong" things. Seems that many people take me that way unnecessarily.)

It's probably her joining with the sword. I say her being removed from the sword mostly to cover bases, but it's probably the former option. I honestly think that the Master Sword having some limited sentience would not be too out of left field, so that would work perfectly with the swordlore.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's probably her joining with the sword. I say her being removed from the sword mostly to cover bases, but it's probably the former option. I honestly think that the Master Sword having some limited sentience would not be too out of left field, so that would work perfectly with the swordlore.

Yeah, exactly what I'm saying. (Not unwise to "cover bases", though. ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom