• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Nintendo Console: Wii U

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Nintendo just announced their new console today: the New Wii U.
Here's a look:
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction
Now, this may look crazy amazing, with a screen in a controller and everything, but...I dunno, doesn't it seem a bit complicated? with so many elements in a console, it can become very overwhelming to actually keep track of so many different aspects at once. With a touch screen, motion detection, and two screens to keep track of, it might get kind of...distracting. But overall, I like the look and the graphics look impressive as well. there are a lot of positives about this console, like HD and awesome titles, some yet to be said. All in all, even with the distractions, I'm pumped to see this new thing, but I'd probably wait for some feedback from others first. Opinions?

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
The Wii U

Apparently, the Wii U will be a hand-held system. Kind of like a Gamebody Advance only bigger.

If you have other news about this, please post!

Nintendo just announced their new console today: the New Wii U.
Here's a look:
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction
Now, this may look crazy amazing, with a screen in a controller and everything, but...I dunno, doesn't it seem a bit complicated? with so many elements in a console, it can become very overwhelming to actually keep track of so many different aspects at once. With a touch screen, motion detection, and two screens to keep track of, it might get kind of...distracting. But overall, I like the look and the graphics look impressive as well. there are a lot of positives about this console, like HD and awesome titles, some yet to be said. All in all, even with the distractions, I'm pumped to see this new thing, but I'd probably wait for some feedback from others first. Opinions?

Must say im very disappointed with it being a hand held.
Im not a fan of hand held consoles.
I was hoping it would be a proper console like the first wii.

I do not like the touchscreen idea.
There should be proper controllers which plug into the computer.
A proper console should run through a television..

Sadly ill not be getting it.

TopherD05

Hyrulian Knight
the system itself was not even discuss, this is just the controller. I think the concept of the controller itself is awesome and will definitely allow for a lot of cool ideas for gameplay and also free up space on any game display. I know a lot of people are disappointed cause they thought it was gonna be more advanced in all ways but after seeing the intro video, I am excited to see what else the controller and system has to offer.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
This is just an FPS/Metroid Prime waiting to happen. You have to admit thay would be pretty cool!

Plus, I would also like to note that it is NOT a handheld. The controller is basically the bottom half of a 3DS and the TV the top.
Also, am I the only one who noticed that TP-ish screenshot in the Gallery thing at the bottom?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I don't like the controller. Not because of the features, the features are fine. They're not the issue. The problem is the design. To me it looks poorly designed. It's going to be uncomfortable to hold. Nintendo hasn't really understood for about six years now that controllers have to be ergonomic. Watch the third party market for sleeves that make it easier to hold, because I guarantee you that you will want one. Something that large will be agonizing to hold for too long without good grips, which is clearly lacks.

E

Efrit

Actually, it is pretty comfortable. I managed to get a hold of it, alongside the Zelda techdemo and it is surprisingly light. It reminded me of the DS Phat or DsIXll. Overall, I can't wait to get a hold of it. With Darksiders 2 and Batman being launch titles, I can cross them off of my list of what to get for the 360.

~Efrit

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I don't like the controller. Not because of the features, the features are fine. They're not the issue. The problem is the design. To me it looks poorly designed. It's going to be uncomfortable to hold. Nintendo hasn't really understood for about six years now that controllers have to be ergonomic. Watch the third party market for sleeves that make it easier to hold, because I guarantee you that you will want one. Something that large will be agonizing to hold for too long without good grips, which is clearly lacks.

I completely agree. Nintendo struck gold with the N64 controller, but took the public's opinion too critically and sacked their good design for a more compact but less comfortable one.

linkman8

True and Noble
I'm not even certain whether the Wii U is even considered a new console. It's a controller, yet at the same time it's sort of like a handheld Wii. It has enough features where you can really sort of consider it to be whatever you want. The bottom line is that Nintendo has obviously put their thinking caps on again and thought of some fairly innovative features to add to the Wii. Sure, there are a number of people who said they would rather have advanced graphical capacities instead of this. Graphics are even more of a gimmick, because they sate you for, oh, five minutes.
Ultimately this looks like another good job by Nintendo. They're thinking outside of the box and delivering new features that I'm sure more people will enjoy.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
They were vague in the presentation, however I get the impression that it is indeed a new console with new hardware. As far as the controller goes, it does look like it could be uncomfortable, but before passing a final judgment I'd have to actually use one for a bit to get a feel for it. The features look interesting, we'll see whether or not devs utilize them well. It seems to have the potential to have a good library of games, but time will tell whether or not it will have a truly rich repertoire to choose from or not. Overall I like it, and if I could afford one by the time it comes out I think I'd try to get one.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I'm not even certain whether the Wii U is even considered a new console. It's a controller, yet at the same time it's sort of like a handheld Wii.

They did not make this clear during their presentation, however after the show Reggie was interviewed and it was revealed that the Wii U IS an entirely new console. They did NOT showcase the design of the console at E3 because they simply wanted to focus on the controller.

In addition, IGN has reported that Nintendo revealed the following image of the console without comment:

e3-2011-this-is-what-the-wii-u-looks-like-20110607102807742.jpg

I believe they are at fault for not making that distinction between the controller and the console clear during their presentation. Still, this should clear things up.

Last edited:

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Im glad with the classic button layout. Im only worried if its comfortable to hold. One thing i don't like about the contoller is that the sliding analog sticks, I wanted the normal ones.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I don't think the controller looks that uncomfortable. So far all Nintendo controllers I had were always comfortable to hold and may I remind you that the 'silly plastic wii thing' was designed to minimize the damage when some idiot lets it go during wii sports. I'm sure Nintendo has thought of how to make the wii u controller as comfortable as possible. We can also hold a GBA, DS phat and Ipads without complaining, so the wii u shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I'll probably end up buying the Wii U. Probably not on launch, unless there are 2 or 3 good games I can get. Hopefully the Zelda tech demo ends up being a launch game, because it looks really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom