• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Not to Change?

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
A lot of talk around Skyward Sword seems to be about all the changes the game is supposed to bring to the series, but in this thread, I want to talk about some of the things that I hope they don't change in the game. Aonuma has already explained that there are certain things that they can't change in the series, and I will elaborate on some of these various factors.

The Dungeons

We've all heard that Skyward Sword is going to be altering the flow of the Zelda formula, changing the field, dungeon, boss routine we've grow used to, but there are things that they can't change without making the game too linear.

If say you were in a field, and you frequently came across the type of puzzles you would normaly find in a dungeon, you wouldn't be able to distinguish the fields area from their dungeon counterparts. It would be like being in a single constant dungeon. What Nintendo should do, is bring more field elements into the dungeons, but less vice versa. So you would have bigger areas in the dungeons themselves, and possibly the dungeons could be less closed in, but more open. I don't however want to see puzzles in the field.

Aonuma has stated that there is "a distinct line between fields and dungeons", I hope they retain this in Skyward Sword.

3 first Dungeons

In all 3D Zelda games, (except Majora's Mask and Wind Waker) there are 3 "tutorial dungeons", were you get acustomed to the game mechanics and the puzzles. Also, in these dungeons, you collect 3 artifacts, or items, that will help you get to the Master Sword (Wind Waker features this to an exstent.) I hope we will get our tutorial dungeons in Skyward Sword, because we will have to get used to the new types of puzzles the game is sure to include, and also because we know that the Master Sword is in the game, and it would follow the pattern to play through the first few dungeons, and then the Skyward Sword turns into the Master Sword (somehow).

Closing

Lastly, I hope they keep all thos little things that we love, like breaking pots, and blowing up walls, you know what I mean. Please tell me what you want Nintendo to do with this new game in terms of keeping the old, or throwing it out...

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I personally think they aren't that much stupid to change the series too much, but who knows?
Miyamoto is getting old and old people do crazy stuff...but anyway very good points you have :)

I love those little walls that have a crack on them, the pots with the rupees and riding Epona all day :D

However it wouldn't hurt to add new things beside the old classic ones like more
-horses to choose from
-ways of completing a dungeon

....pretty much more ways to do things in

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Also, I want to be able to complete the post :mastersword:Master Sword:mastersword: Dungeons in the order of my choosing...

M

magicgfx

Also, I want to be able to complete the post :mastersword:Master Sword:mastersword: Dungeons in the order of my choosing...

This surely would impact the use of items. Fans would be angry that the item they worked so hard to get, doesn't work anywhere but the dungeon they got it in, besides maybe one spot in the over world.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

I would like to be able to complete any string of dungeons in any order. This was featured in OoT. The only dungeons you HAD to complete in order was the first dungeon of the Child Saga, and the first dungeon of the Adult Saga. You could complete any other dungeons in whichever order you wanted(Shadow Temple is an exception). I thought it was a lot of fun to do in OoT, and I hope they bring it back in SS. It helps to get rid of that linearity that makes the games easier. I like the challenge of finding which way to do things on your own, instead of it being thrown in your face, especially if it's a mandatory order(I'm talking to you, TP:dry:).

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I would like to be able to complete any string of dungeons in any order. This was featured in OoT. The only dungeons you HAD to complete in order was the first dungeon of the Child Saga, and the first dungeon of the Adult Saga. You could complete any other dungeons in whichever order you wanted(Shadow Temple is an exception). I thought it was a lot of fun to do in OoT, and I hope they bring it back in SS. It helps to get rid of that linearity that makes the games easier. I like the challenge of finding which way to do things on your own, instead of it being thrown in your face, especially if it's a mandatory order(I'm talking to you, TP:dry:).

Exactly what I was trying to say :D

Djinn

and Tonic
Free roaming, I want all later Zelda sequels to give you the same ability to wonder everywhere on the map you please as the very first. With the later addition of items helping to make moving around easier, or capable of uncovering secrets in these places you have passed by many times in the past. Maybe one or two places could be closed off to you at the beginning of the quest, but I do not like only having a certain area to move around in until a quest is completed and a cutscene is viewed before a new place is opened up.

Gaining lot and lots of items, I love how most Zelda games give you items for every possible situation. I don't think this should ever change, they tried removing it in AoL but I was not a fan of the change. Having the spells was nice but I like to switch to something else in my inventory and then changing my attack pattern. Plus the items that help you get around and make travel easier or more fun are great. From the hookshot to the Deku leaf, they are useful when just roaming a village and climbing all over the buildings.

Every other gimmick in a Zelda game can change for each game but these two I want to have in every sequel. Without free roaming and item collecting, it may as well be another game.

Fierce

Deity Link
Free roaming, I want all later Zelda sequels to give you the same ability to wonder everywhere on the map you please as the very first. With the later addition of items helping to make moving around easier, or capable of uncovering secrets in these places you have passed by many times in the past. Maybe one or two places could be closed off to you at the beginning of the quest, but I do not like only having a certain area to move around in until a quest is completed and a cutscene is viewed before a new place is opened up.

Gaining lot and lots of items, I love how most Zelda games give you items for every possible situation. I don't think this should ever change, they tried removing it in AoL but I was not a fan of the change. Having the spells was nice but I like to switch to something else in my inventory and then changing my attack pattern. Plus the items that help you get around and make travel easier or more fun are great. From the hookshot to the Deku leaf, they are useful when just roaming a village and climbing all over the buildings.

Every other gimmick in a Zelda game can change for each game but these two I want to have in every sequel. Without free roaming and item collecting, it may as well be another game.

Sounds like you enjoy Wind Waker. ;)

Things I hope isn't changed:

- Boss Keys, Key, Map, Compass system
> It works, no reason to fix what isn't broken

- Events leading up to each dungeon that give you an item to enter it/ backstory
> The dungeon should stay the end of the story, not be the whole story

- The use of items to solve puzzles
> It better not become too sword based

As far as I'm concerned Zelda doesn't need changing, but that is why the old games are so replayable. A new game SHOULD break the mold each time, and I'm overjoyed EAD is deciding against the laziness afforded to the franchise's ability to use a perfect yet decades old formula to churn out best sellers. Yeah, I am looking at you Twilight Princess! Realistic graphics is NOT enough innovation!

things that must be in this game are.
Cracks in walls so you know where to bomb.
There must be the ability to freely roam around and explore.
Exploration is a huge part of the series.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There must be sidequests like collecting ammo upgrades for bombs,arrows, etc.
It must have bottles to collect.
It must have that sound when open a chest.
And wen you hit a wall with your sword you get an odd sound and it means you can break it.
-------------------------------------------------------
You hear that odd sound in the fire temple.
Must have places like Kakariko village.
And it just has to have the Master sword.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
A recap of what everybody above said, is keep the serie's distinguising features, while refreshing the formula. This sounds like the sort of thing that Nintendo might do with Skyward Sword...

"Back to basics"

~Eiji Aonuma

Djinn

and Tonic
Sounds like you enjoy Wind Waker. ;)

For the most part yes, but I was thinking about the gameplay of the original LoZ when I wrote that. Even AoL and ALTTP gave you the ability to roam everywhere from the start. Only going through temples and gaining items made it much easier when you wondered into more dangerous places. The later games followed this with a few exceptions, TP only allowed you to go to certain areas until you accomplished some quest or completed a dungeon. Then the next area would be unlocked. I did not like the change from the gameplay that goes all the way back to the original. This is why the Hyrule field of TP seems to empty, you spend most of your time trying to unlock the next area to go explore that. Everything is geared towards unlocking the Gerudo Desert, Death Mountain, Sacred Forest Meadow, or Snowpeak Ruins.

Fierce

Deity Link
I despised TP for that very reason. It felt so linear, and its items felt so tacked on... Don't get me wrong it was a great game, just my least favourite of all the Zeldas. (Yes I LOVE AoL)
Not to mention the falsely extended length added by the whole bug hunting and statue rune finding nonsense...

Twilight had merits (Like Minda, and the Zant battle), but I think the game was a bit of an eye opener for the dev team. It was a lesson on over-recycling, and it was poorly received by the hardcore Zelda fanbase due to it seeming like a carbon copy of OOT (albeit easier) with annoying sidequests thrown in. Perhaps this was the wake up call that begged for a different, new Zelda. The call that gave birth to the upcoming Skyward Sword. In a way... we have to thank the mistakes made in Twilight, because the direction EAD is going seems to be in the exact opposite of their error.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
All they need to do to make this game good is put in an incredible amount of detail. Please nintendo! Please put in a ton of detail!!!!!!!

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Well, this idea is more of one that I think they should change BACK to. The games after MM (I think), once you enter the dungeons, you have a map on the screen as well as the arrows telling you where you are. Before, you needed the map and compass for these to appear. I want to go back to (actually) needing these items as I find them to be much more useless in newer games.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
How 'bout the general Zelda feel? Make something completely original, but don't completely overhaul it.

I despised TP for that very reason. It felt so linear, and its items felt so tacked on... Don't get me wrong it was a great game, just my least favourite of all the Zeldas. (Yes I LOVE AoL)
Not to mention the falsely extended length added by the whole bug hunting and statue rune finding nonsense...

Twilight had merits (Like Minda, and the Zant battle), but I think the game was a bit of an eye opener for the dev team. It was a lesson on over-recycling, and it was poorly received by the hardcore Zelda fanbase due to it seeming like a carbon copy of OOT (albeit easier) with annoying sidequests thrown in. Perhaps this was the wake up call that begged for a different, new Zelda. The call that gave birth to the upcoming Skyward Sword. In a way... we have to thank the mistakes made in Twilight, because the direction EAD is going seems to be in the exact opposite of their error.

I felt that the story flowed better than any of the other Zelda games. It almost felt cinematic. And there's nothing wrong with that. They just wanted to try that out. And it worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom