• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Violence

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
A little bit of blood a bruise and a cut there that would be nice to see on Link. I mean the games appear to be drifting towards a more real look. Perhaps with the entire real look kinda thing, blood maybe welcomed. Of course one shouldn't go over board as in splatters of blood and all that stuff, that would take away the charm of the game and what not.

Maybe not so much as blood either, but perhaps dirt, ya know from running around everywhere and rolling on the floor as many of us usually do. Perhaps that would give it a more 'real' feeling which is where the series seems be drifting towards. They wouldn't stay there, they can be simply washed off when he enters water. That'd make sense to me and add some small extra detail. =) Or maybe even have his clothing rip a bit, like after he recieves a cut or damage or something of the sort, of course not too much to the point where he completely exposes his chest or his back but minor scratches and such.

I'd say theose would be nice simple details to add to the game.

P

Pyroco101

it'd probably be cool if link got his hand or arm choped as a plot device and then get it replaced with a steampunk/ FMA type arm, no?

Zarom

The King
it'd probably be cool if link got his hand or arm choped as a plot device and then get it replaced with a steampunk/ FMA type arm, no?

No! Never! That should never happen... Like I said: Maybe a little of blood here and there but no chop or anything like that... :)

SheikahSoul

Decadence
I know this s an very old thread but I just couldn't resist this.

I would love to see blood and all in Loz. I've allways wished so, also in the Mario games. But however, no chopping off things on our heroes that would be sad, but, lots of blood and cuts would be cool. Especially in the realistic games there should be drips and splashes and such of blood. It would be even more realistic and that is exactly how I like it and have wished to see.
I know I may may sound disgusting but other than the reasons I stated above, I think blood is both realistic and beautiful in a dark and inspiring way. I see art and inspiration in that,plus I like realistic and serious things. This is my reasons, I'd love a Loz and Mario games in the gore and mature style as of American McGee's Alice.

N

Navi23

I kinda wish there would be more Violence in Nintendo, but the deal is that the majority of Nintendo players are kids. If Nintendo starts using violence, then they will start losing fans. I feel like they aim at the younger kids.

And yes, I would like it if they'd put violence in LoZ. Even Super Mario. Or even StarFox.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Please, no excessive violence. I'm not allowed to play games with lots of violence (and I don't like blood) so Nintendo would lose a devoted fan girl. I don't think that games need violence to make them good or whatever like CoD or Modern Warfare; I personally believe that there's enough of that in the real world and I don't want to play games with that in it. Again, just my opinion. I thought Twilight Princess was the darkest any Zelda game had gone and it definitely put the series in a different light; one that I'm not sure I exactly prefer. The darkness of TP does certainly fit the plot of the game, but I'm glad there's no blood.

M

MushroomBoy64

No offense, but violence is not really important to have in Zelda games, especially when it means blood and gore. No one really needs to see that in a Zelda game. The violence we see in Zelda games right now are good enough.

why people wants gore in A ZELDA GAME!!? (sorry for the caps xD) , sorry, but I have to say they have some kind of problem, if you think that lots of blood are mature, you are wrong

SheikahSoul

Decadence
why people wants gore in A ZELDA GAME!!? (sorry for the caps xD) , sorry, but I have to say they have some kind of problem, if you think that lots of blood are mature, you are wrong

It actually depends and what more things there are in games. As for games that are created just to involve blood is indeed a no-no and is not very mature.
But If blood is not the main focus but is still there along with a great story,gameplay, depth in story and a game with a soul. Then it can't be called immature either. This is a good example on American McGees Alice. It has blood BUT it is a game that is much about what's deep within in the mind and such real serious things as well. But then again this is just an oponion of mine. And this is also a wish of mine I've not only had in Loz games, but in Mario games as well. But that is just me. A game with relaisticness and seriousness is easing inner chaos in me, and blood is blended in very good. Plus If learned to see the beauty in dark and gory things, you can encounter so many interesting things. But then again, it all depends on who you are. I am the one I am and this is why I have the oponion I have about this matter.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
The games don't really need it, I think they should be left alone.

Precisely. I can appreciate Link getting a little roughed-up in fights/during adventuring would help to emphasise the fact he's courageously getting up and carrying on, which is fair enough. I'm pretty indifferent about that one though, it'd be a nice little touch and make Link a little more interesting to watch... but I've not come to expect it happening and I can't imagine it'd make that much of a difference to my life if one day it did.

Major violence though, whether during gameplay or as part of the storyline, is a definite no in my opinion. It'd be so out-of-character for the series I think it would just be jarring if they ever did introduce it (which thankfully is pretty unlikely, knowing Nintendo), but more than that- the series doesn't need it. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a huge fan of blood/gore in games and movies (it's great for creating atmosphere and inciting emotions, for one thing, and sometimes it's satisfying to just watch~!)... but I'd rather it didn't seep into my Zelda experience, thank you very much. It'd be like finding a hair in your soup... unwelcome and pretty off-putting. Think about it this way: what are Zelda games primarily about? Puzzles. [In more cases than not, often light hearted] adventure. Discovery. Wonder. Victory. The Hero triumphing every time. They teach you that the little guy can make a difference, and that good can always overcome evil in the end.

*waits for those crying out in disagreement to stop hurling example of exceptions along with vengefully chosen bricks*

Continues: Is that honestly the sort of situation befitting of pools of blood and dismembered limbs and Moblins being slowly hacked into teeny-tiny pieces and strewn among the charred remains of the villagers they previously captured and tortured, by a 'hero' that looks like he just slept in barbed wire and is currently missing an eye? Forgive me for being melodramatic there (it's quite fun and addicting, you should try it sometime~), but you see my point. I really don't think it fits with everything the series has portrayed so far, and so I can't see how the series could gain anything worthwhile by incorperating it, while still retaining that essence of... purity, I guess, that makes Zelda what it is. It's just not Zelda... and as someone said a while back, let's not try and turn the series into something it isn't. You want limb-hacking goodness, go play Gear of War. You want Zelda, go play... well, Zelda. So no.

SheikahSoul

Decadence
Precisely. I can appreciate Link getting a little roughed-up in fights/during adventuring would help to emphasise the fact he's courageously getting up and carrying on, which is fair enough. I'm pretty indifferent about that one though, it'd be a nice little touch and make Link a little more interesting to watch... but I've not come to expect it happening and I can't imagine it'd make that much of a difference to my life if one day it did.

Major violence though, whether during gameplay or as part of the storyline, is a definite no in my opinion. It'd be so out-of-character for the series I think it would just be jarring if they ever did introduce it (which thankfully is pretty unlikely, knowing Nintendo), but more than that- the series doesn't need it. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a huge fan of blood/gore in games and movies (it's great for creating atmosphere and inciting emotions, for one thing, and sometimes it's satisfying to just watch~!)... but I'd rather it didn't seep into my Zelda experience, thank you very much. It'd be like finding a hair in your soup... unwelcome and pretty off-putting. Think about it this way: what are Zelda games primarily about? Puzzles. [In more cases than not, often light hearted] adventure. Discovery. Wonder. Victory. The Hero triumphing every time. They teach you that the little guy can make a difference, and that good can always overcome evil in the end.

*waits for those crying out in disagreement to stop hurling example of exceptions along with vengefully chosen bricks*

Continues: Is that honestly the sort of situation befitting of pools of blood and dismembered limbs and Moblins being slowly hacked into teeny-tiny pieces and strewn among the charred remains of the villagers they previously captured and tortured, by a 'hero' that looks like he just slept in barbed wire and is currently missing an eye? Forgive me for being melodramatic there (it's quite fun and addicting, you should try it sometime~), but you see my point. I really don't think it fits with everything the series has portrayed so far, and so I can't see how the series could gain anything worthwhile by incorperating it, while still retaining that essence of... purity, I guess, that makes Zelda what it is. It's just not Zelda... and as someone said a while back, let's not try and turn the series into something it isn't. You want limb-hacking goodness, go play Gear of War. You want Zelda, go play... well, Zelda. So no.

I can agree with you to a point. But I also wish to mention that by wishing blood and gore in a video game we don't also wish the worst
massacre which I felt your comment about this was like. But what I mean is that adding some realism is never wrong. But what does indeed look a tiny little bit wrong in my oponion is that whenever our hero gets cut, no wound neither blood are seen. I can understand that monsters and enemies might have a different colour of blood (even tough I myself would have prefered it red). But what I mean is that it just looks unrealistic when something is cut and no blood flows through it. But again this is just me cause I like realisticness. And I believe Zelda could fit that (perhaps not the Toon style but some little blood at least), I also believe the Mario games would be great with that. But again, I'm not desiring for the biggest blood pools or a massacre. Just som blood and blood splash just for realisticness.

Speaking of blood and violence in Zelda. The original game of Ocarina of Time had real red blood on Ganondorf. This means that Nintendo actually thought of it too but unfortunately they too stuck with game-age rating.
In the original Oot Ganondorf does not puke green blood, he actually pukes red blood. Also when Link goes for the final blow on Ganon there is red blood splash.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I think gore should be kept to a small amount because of younger viewers but I think to be honest that if fighting enemies is considered violent then there might be what you call "mild violence" involved. I wouldn't like to see too much blood shed in any Legend of Zelda games but fighting is okay, as long as it isn't too graphic. It wouldn't bother me but it would bother others.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
I can agree with you to a point. But I also wish to mention that by wishing blood and gore in a video game we don't also wish the worst
massacre which I felt your comment about this was like. But what I mean is that adding some realism is never wrong. But what does indeed look a tiny little bit wrong in my oponion is that whenever our hero gets cut, no wound neither blood are seen. I can understand that monsters and enemies might have a different colour of blood (even tough I myself would have prefered it red). But what I mean is that it just looks unrealistic when something is cut and no blood flows through it. But again this is just me cause I like realisticness. And I believe Zelda could fit that (perhaps not the Toon style but some little blood at least), I also believe the Mario games would be great with that. But again, I'm not desiring for the biggest blood pools or a massacre. Just som blood and blood splash just for realisticness.

Speaking of blood and violence in Zelda. The original game of Ocarina of Time had real red blood on Ganondorf. This means that Nintendo actually thought of it too but unfortunately they too stuck with game-age rating.
In the original Oot Ganondorf does not puke green blood, he actually pukes red blood. Also when Link goes for the final blow on Ganon there is red blood splash.

Nah, I understand. I'm sorry if that's how my post came across, it wasn't meant to be aimed at everyone... I know not everyone who'd like to see more realistic blood in Zelda wants complete massacres, but there were a few people who posted earlier who seemed to be alluring they did want such violence and I wanted to just address that first, because it jumped out at me. In my first paragraph I did mention I can appreciate where a lot of people seem to be coming from, about adding it in for a little realism and such, but it sort of got drowned out later by my overly dramatic example... in hindsight I should have balanced my post out a little better and talked less about the extremes, as you correctly point out, it made it seem like I was making sweeping generalisations... and that wasn't what I'd intended.

Again, now you point it out I do see what you mean about lack of blood sometimes looking a little odd, almost as though the hits haven't connected or they're using blunted blades... but many games are like that, and though I can't speak for other people I know I've just sort of accepted that fact as part of the physics of many games in general- you know you've scored a hit on something when there's a small flash of light. I guess I've just accepted that's just what happens sometimes... they're video games and video games have various quirks like that *shrugs*. Because of this, I personally don't particularly notice the lack of blood/visible wounds in game, and so like I said in the first paragraph of my last post, it wouldn't make that much of a difference to me if they did add it in... but I can imagine it if you're not like me, it could seem really rather jarring if you're expecting/subconsciously looking for evidence of the blood/wound and then there is none.

...My slightly more snarky reply is that, if we're speaking honestly, since when have Zelda games ever been that realistic in the first place? Even games like OoT... The whole time-travelling mishap of an adventure starts because in his dying words, a talking tree-who-also-doubles-as-a-dungeon-level asked you to save a kingdom up until that day you probably didn't know existed, and certainly hadn't visited... one with talking rocks (the variety that go BOOOIIING and the variety that live on Death Mountain). You also have a goshdamn sparkly blue magic ocarina that can turn back time, make it rain and literally cause your horse to come riding suddenly out of nowhere. When you put it bluntly, it can end up sounding rather hilarious... but conversely, I could also have described it as a dark and tragic tale of a boy who was probably tormented his entire childhood and never, ever fitted in being forced out of his home and into the role of Hero, only to actually succeed after much hardship. I suppose it all goes back to what your view of what the series is is, and everyone's view on it I suppose is going to be slightly different. But yeah, my point being Zelda games aren't all that realistic in the first place (both story wise, but also environment/character animation wise), which is another reason I've never found the lack of blood/wounds that strange... it sort of fitted to me.

Don't take this the wrong way though, like you pointed out OoT probably does have the most blood out of all the games, such as in the shadow temple or from Ganondorf at the end, which does indeed show Nintendo have been there, and so has the Zelda series. I suppose my counter to that is the fact that Nintendo seem (for the moment at least) to have moved on since then, and simply decided not to take that route, even though the technology does exist for them to make a really realistic Zelda (realistic in terms of attack movements/fighting controls/battle damage... it no longer has to be that little bit cartoony because of graphical limitations like OoT/MM did, yet Nintendo seem to have stuck to that route for the most part and still haven't added that level of realism... yet). But of course, that's getting into an entirely different issue there XD

Anyway, in short, I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough... I do appreciate your and everyone else's reasons behind wanting a little more blood/violence adding in though, and I guess in the end it comes down to a difference of opinion (as most things do). Thank you for pulling me up on this one though, I did need to elaborate a little more :33

SheikahSoul

Decadence
Nah, I understand. I'm sorry if that's how my post came across, it wasn't meant to be aimed at everyone... I know not everyone who'd like to see more realistic blood in Zelda wants complete massacres, but there were a few people who posted earlier who seemed to be alluring they did want such violence and I wanted to just address that first, because it jumped out at me. In my first paragraph I did mention I can appreciate where a lot of people seem to be coming from, about adding it in for a little realism and such, but it sort of got drowned out later by my overly dramatic example... in hindsight I should have balanced my post out a little better and talked less about the extremes, as you correctly point out, it made it seem like I was making sweeping generalisations... and that wasn't what I'd intended.

Again, now you point it out I do see what you mean about lack of blood sometimes looking a little odd, almost as though the hits haven't connected or they're using blunted blades... but many games are like that, and though I can't speak for other people I know I've just sort of accepted that fact as part of the physics of many games in general- you know you've scored a hit on something when there's a small flash of light. I guess I've just accepted that's just what happens sometimes... they're video games and video games have various quirks like that *shrugs*. Because of this, I personally don't particularly notice the lack of blood/visible wounds in game, and so like I said in the first paragraph of my last post, it wouldn't make that much of a difference to me if they did add it in... but I can imagine it if you're not like me, it could seem really rather jarring if you're expecting/subconsciously looking for evidence of the blood/wound and then there is none.

...My slightly more snarky reply is that, if we're speaking honestly, since when have Zelda games ever been that realistic? Even games like OoT... The whole adventure starts because in his dying words, a talking tree-who-also-doubles-as-a-dungeon-level asked you to save a kingdom up until that day you probably didn't know existed, and certainly hadn't visited... one with talking rocks (the variety that go BOOOIIING and the variety that live on Death Mountain). You also have a goshdamn sparkly blue magic ocarina that can turn back time, make it rain and literally cause your horse to come riding suddenly out of nowhere. When you put it bluntly, it can end up sounding rather hilarious... but conversely, I could also have described it as a dark and tragic tale of a boy who was probably tormented his entire childhood and never, ever fitted in being forced out of his home and into the role of Hero, only to actually succeed after much hardship. I suppose it all goes back to what your view of what the series is is, and everyone's view on it I suppose is slightly different. But yeah, my point being Zelda games haven't been all that realistic in the first place, which is another reason I've never found the lack of blood/wounds that strange... it sort of fitted to me.

Don't take this the wrong way though, like you pointed out OoT probably does have the most blood out of all the games, such as in the shadow temple or from Ganondorf at the end, which does indeed show Nintendo have been there, and so has the Zelda series. I suppose my counter to that is the fact that Nintendo seem (for the moment at least) to have moved on since then, and simply decided not to take that route, even though the technology does exist for them to make a really realistic Zelda (realistic in terms of attack movements/fighting controls/battle damage... it no longer has to be that little bit cartoony because of graphical limitations like OoT/MM did, yet Nintendo seem to have stuck to that route for the most part and still haven't added that level of realism... yet). But of course, that's getting into an entirely different issue there XD

Anyway, in short, I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough... I do appreciate your and everyone else's reasons behind wanting a little more blood/violence adding in though, and I guess in the end it comes down to a difference of opinion (as most things do). Thank you for pulling me up on this one though, I did need to elaborate a little more :33

Again, I agree with you on many points as I at the same time don't agree in other points.

I can both understand and agree your point about the videogame stuff when enemies die it doesn't really look realistic and that it is just the way it is in videogames. And that's indeed true. But it would be a nice add and more realistic If there actually was blood. But this is because I like realistic stuff. But I also thought it both looked cool and fun in TP when enemies exploded when they died.

And indeed, about the series being realistic or not, that is up to everyones own perseption. I like your second explarination of the series, that is indeed my taste and my perseption of the series.
But I will also admit that I didn't see the series that realistic until Oot came.

And about the blood in Oot. I understand you here as well but also don't really agree. But why I don't want to agree is because I don't want to leave the realisticness of Oot and its blood. And I think that they have avoided that route cause of these darn age-ratings.
Altough I do think that the Ganondorf's white blood dripping on the floor while he was running around as Ganon was both a little disgusting but cool.

But as you say, the whole series, the perseption and this question about blood is all about oponions. But personally I'd love for the realisticness of blood in both Loz and Mario. But I also don't only want that, I want mentallyness and deep stuff too. But again, that's me.^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom