• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ending of Ocarina of Time

So if all of what happened had happened, and then Link is sent back in time after defeating Ganon, wouldn't there be two Link's in the past? One that is in Kokiri Forest and just beating the Deku Tree, while the other is the Link you play as who was just sent back in time. If you've seen the movie, Back to the Future, you'd understand a bit where I'm coming from with this angle of looking at it.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Good movie, btw ;)

I don't think we'll ever really know what was going on, unless Nintendo releases some kind of official timeline for the Zelda series.

Some say TWW happens in Adult Link timeline since Link want there anymore, but nope. It says clearly in TWW that events of the flooding occured in Young Links timeline.

Firstly it is said that the hero of time was young and that all the boys that grew to a certain age (in TWW) would wear a green garment to represent the hero of time. So Link in TWW is the same age as Link was in OoT.

Secondly, it was said Link went away from Hyrule to depart on another adventure (that being Termina) is when Ganon attacked and the gods flooded Hyrule.

TP happens in Adult Link timeline...If you notice both in TP and TWW it talks about Ganon breaking the seal of the gods and exits the sacred realm...since he was sealed in both worlds..future/present in OoT.

Some say TWW happens in Adult Link timeline since Link want there anymore, but nope. It says clearly in TWW that events of the flooding occured in Young Links timeline.

Firstly it is said that the hero of time was young and that all the boys that grew to a certain age (in TWW) would wear a green garment to represent the hero of time. So Link in TWW is the same age as Link was in OoT.

Secondly, it was said Link went away from Hyrule to depart on another adventure (that being Termina) is when Ganon attacked and the gods flooded Hyrule.

TP happens in Adult Link timeline...If you notice both in TP and TWW it talks about Ganon breaking the seal of the gods and exits the sacred realm...since he was sealed in both worlds..future/present in OoT.
When you put it that way, it sort of makes sense.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I believe the theory about this is that after Link defeats Ganon and is sent back to the past. He warns Princess Zelda who warns the thing, preventing the vents in the future ever from happening. Thus Ganon is sealed away, while Link heads off to Termina.

I believe that is the basis of the split-timeline theory. It is very plausable, but not exactly sure I agree with everything with it. There is the space time continuum, as in the movie Back to the Future. If Link does something as a kid, than it would effect the future.

So if all of what happened had happened, and then Link is sent back in time after defeating Ganon, wouldn't there be two Link's in the past? One that is in Kokiri Forest and just beating the Deku Tree, while the other is the Link you play as who was just sent back in time. If you've seen the movie, Back to the Future, you'd understand a bit where I'm coming from with this angle of looking at it.

i have seen the movie and i understand what you are trying to say.
thats what i meant in my last post with number two. i don 't know if link really returns to zelda just to warn her. i think she still remembers everything. notice links triforce on its hand, ganondorf still keeps his triforce and so is zelda. if link is warning about ganon and he returned to a time in his past were zelda and link 's first meeting occurd, then the triforce must be gone from link zelda and ganondorf.

i believe there is somere a split timeline, but i don 't think its the cause of oot. main reason, link is still in his own time even when he is an adult due its spirit trapped for 7 years. let me give a dumb example of my own: its like a old VCR tape that you can go foreward or backward in stead of a DVD dics where you can hop on to certain scenes.

My question is, did Nintendo really think this through when it actually happened? Did they have any idea of a split timeline with two worlds progressing through time at the same time? Or was this just a common fan reaction.

I think shigeru purposefully made the split timeline at the end of OOT so he would able to make more games and would be able to start over in a sense. I think it was very much done on purpose, and I think it was a great idea.

i have seen the movie and i understand what you are trying to say.
thats what i meant in my last post with number two. i don 't know if link really returns to zelda just to warn her. i think she still remembers everything. notice links triforce on its hand, ganondorf still keeps his triforce and so is zelda. if link is warning about ganon and he returned to a time in his past were zelda and link 's first meeting occurd, then the triforce must be gone from link zelda and ganondorf.

Link does? I totally forgot that. I need to watch OOt's ending again. I know the future Ganon still has his but I was unaware that kid zelda and link retained theres. That wouldn't logically make sense as there would be no way for them to obtain it yet unless it just means they are the chosen ones like in AoL.

update, just watched the ending again, didn't see any sign of link zelda or ganon having the triforce symbols on there hands in the past.

Last edited:

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Okay, I've thought about this pretty extensively lately and something just doesn't seem right.

The plot in Ocarina of Time to me seems rather linear, even though it jumps through time, however, there is something that doesn't make sense to me.

At the end of the adult Link ending, Princess Zelda sends Link back in time to warn young Princess Zelda of the events that are going to take place. Thus, the events actually happened in the future and Link knows them and they aren't just a 'legend'.

So he then speaks with young Princess Zelda, and together they prevent Ganondorf from taking over and then the events of the future never take place... right?

Now, wouldn't this create a time paradox for Young Link in the ending? He physically battled through at Adult Link and now warned young Princess Zelda of those events and now they never occur. This creates a complete time paradox since Link would never even know about the events if they never took place and thus the meeting between the two would never take place. It's a complete paradox and makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

Does anybody understand where I'm coming at? If not, could somebody try to explain what I'm missing.

linkman8

True and Noble
I understand where you're coming from. It's a time-traveling paradox similar to that of the Grandfather Paradox.
Perhaps when he was sent back in time to warn everyone of Ganondorf, it did indeed create too separate timelines, or perhaps another universe in a way, unconnected to each other. So in that case, the adult Link timeline would've still occured, but just on a separate thread of time.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Well, ya, I fully understand it creates a split and there are two completely separate paths. The paradox I'm mentioning isn't about that, it's strictly about young Link at the end of the game. Since he lived through and remembers the future events. (Unless when he was sent back, he wasn't sent back through the Temple of Time, but rather, just sent back further to when he was still living in Kokiri Forest).

If that was the case, he wouldn't know of the future events. The fact that he still does know about the future, means that he actually went through those events and/or that future Zelda actually told him of the events. Yet, once he tells young Zelda of those events, they no longer ever occur (in the child timeline), so how could Link still exist with his knowledge of the future because it never happened.

In the prologue of Majora's Mask, it takes place with Young Link, and this is what is said...

A boy who,
after battling evil and saving
Hyrule, crept away from the land
that had made him a legend...

Done with the battles he once
waged across time, he embarked
on a journey. A secret and
personal journey...

So did HE REALLY battle across time? Is the prologue just wrong then? Since those events never take place in the child timeline.

I'm pretty sure the Link in MM is Link after he's been sent back in time by Zelda...So that would mean that he DID battle across time. But theoretically...if he's sent back in time there must be another Link, which would create a paradox as you said...

Okay, I've thought about this pretty extensively lately and something just doesn't seem right.

The plot in Ocarina of Time to me seems rather linear, even though it jumps through time, however, there is something that doesn't make sense to me.

At the end of the adult Link ending, Princess Zelda sends Link back in time to warn young Princess Zelda of the events that are going to take place. Thus, the events actually happened in the future and Link knows them and they aren't just a 'legend'.

So he then speaks with young Princess Zelda, and together they prevent Ganondorf from taking over and then the events of the future never take place... right?

Now, wouldn't this create a time paradox for Young Link in the ending? He physically battled through at Adult Link and now warned young Princess Zelda of those events and now they never occur. This creates a complete time paradox since Link would never even know about the events if they never took place and thus the meeting between the two would never take place. It's a complete paradox and makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

Does anybody understand where I'm coming at? If not, could somebody try to explain what I'm missing.

Well this is why some say TP happens in Young Link's timeline since Link warns Zelda and the King about Ganondorf, they then banish Ganondorf out of Hyrule. Ganondorf later attempts to take over the Sacred Realm and is sentenced to death and then banished to the Twilight Realm. But anyways the whole OoT situation is kinda of ******** IMO. i mean, why would you try to kill Ganondorf in the future only, he is obviously still around in the present, and why the hell did Rauru make Link sleep in the Sacred Realm for seven years when Link could have just obtained the full Triforce and prevented everything. Ok say they didnt know Ganondorf was folllowing Links every move, have Link go back in time and do it again.

Anyways, Link wasnt exactly sent back before everything happened, if that were so wouldnt he have to do his quest all over again? At the end you do in fact see Link at Hyrule Castle speaking with Zelda. But yea it all doesnt make sense to me neither.

J

Jirrup

I think what happened was that when Young Link returned the Master Sword to the Pedestal of Time, he erased the dilapidated future that he'd created by pulling it out in the first place. Perhaps that's why Adult Zelda looked so upset about sending Adult Link back to the Past - he knew she was destroying herself.

But the Triforce, which currently existed in the future, couldn't be destroyed, so it went back 7 years to Ganondorf, Young Link and Young Zelda. Ganondorf was arrested, half-executed, and sent to the Twilight Realm before he could do anything really fancy with the Triforce of Power.

Just my 2p from my single timeline theory.

Its not the same Link in TP, that Link never even met Zelda and well takes place hundreds of years after OoT. It didnt destroy the future, if that were true then wouldnt it destroy the future everytime Link went back in time? Now heres two things that interests me though. But Iam curious on how Link from TP obtained the Triforce of Courage in the first place since he always had it since the start of the game.

J

Jirrup

Its not the same Link in TP, that Link never even met Zelda and well takes place hundreds of years after OoT.

I am aware of this. Ganondorf's execution in TP is a flashback to the OoT days.

It didnt destroy the future, if that were true then wouldnt it destroy the future everytime Link went back in time?

Remember that it's Zelda who sent Link back at the end of OoT, not Link placing the Sword back at his own free will.
"Link, give the Ocarina to me... As a Sage I can return you to your original time with it." - Zelda

But Iam curious on how Link from TP obtained the Triforce of Courage in the first place since he always had it since the start of the game.

As demonstrated in the Royal Family of Hyrule, the Triforce is passed down through bloodlines. TP Link is a decendant of OoT Link.
"Go and do not falter, my child!" - Hero's Spirit, believed by many to be OoT Link

Even if he was a descendant, it wouldnt mean anything. If Link was sent back before any of the events in OoT and the ToT was never really opened, then no one has any piece of the Triforce.

Edit - And if I recall, if Young Link still had the Triforce which I assume he did since it was said that when he travelled to Termina, The Triforce of Courage actually left him since he was seperated from Hyrule. And then theres this quote.

"A piece of the Triforce was given to the
Hero of Time and he kept it safe, much as
Zelda kept hers.
That sacred piece is known as the
Triforce of Courage.
When the Hero of Time was called to
embark on another journey and left the
land of Hyrule, he was separated from the
elements that made him a hero.
It is said that at that time, the Triforce of
Courage was split into eight shards and
hidden throughout the land.
Even I do not know where they rest, but
this much I do know: they lie hidden
somewhere in this Great Sea."

So thats pretty much saying TWW occurs in Young Link's timeline, not Adult. So that also means if Link doesnt exist in the future anymore, how did the Link from TP obtain the Triforce of Courage.

Last edited:

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
While I believe TWW was developed under the notion of a linear timeline (allowing it to follow both OoT and MM) it did certaintly end up in the Adult Timeline, which means some quotes have to be evaluated with that in mind. Quotes such as this

When the Hero of Time was called to
embark on another journey and left the
land of Hyrule, he was separated from the
elements that made him a hero.

change meaning from leaving to Termina to leaving the adult timeline (when Zelda sent him back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom