• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Challenging Games Needed!

Good people of the Dungeon, I need your suggestions for a challenging game to play. I've found in the past couple of years that few games have really challenged me. Maybe games are getting easier, maybe I've gotten better or perhaps I've just lucked out and picked easy games.

For me a satisfying difficulty level means games that are not so easy you could just stroll through, but but not so hard you tear your hair out. Games that maintained your interest throughout and felt like an achievement to complete.

Either way, I'm looking for games that are challenging without being frustrating. I come from Nintendo and PC Gaming stock so something on those platforms (anything from SNES onwards in Ninty's case) would be good, but I'll welcome any other suggestions.

Also it'd be nice to hear what games have been satisfyingly challenging to you. My selections would be:
Zelda: Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and the Oracle games
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Timesplitters 2 and 3
Goldeneye
Advance Wars
Metroid Prime (what I played of it)

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
Hey, try 23% Metroid Prime

Satisfyingly challenging game to me would be twight princess with 3 hearts, no shield, wooden sword, and no sword techs.

Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Kirby's Epic Yarn can be challenging if you are OCD like me and don't like losing the Beads.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is pretty challenging too!!

Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden, also The Donkey Kong Country games are decent... I beat battletoads NES and Ninja Gaiden the 8th of february... great games.. But battletoads is the hardest game of all time... Even look up top 10 hardest game by gametrailers and you'll see it's the hardest game

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Try anything on the NES. It is very hard to find a game on it that is "easy". Any turn based game can be hard if you don't level up enough. Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii gets hard after a while. Any Zelda game with a 3 heart is a challenge, but some are easier than others. You meantioned Metroid Prime, well Prime 2 is way harder.

I can think of a lot more but I am tired. Just google "Hardest games for (whatever system you have).

I don't really have anything to offer exept Fire Emblem: Radient Dawn on the hardest mode.

That is pretty hard. I still can't get through it. D:

Well, I don't really have anything hard that is a game except for Sonic and the Secret Rings. Try that.

Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Kirby's Epic Yarn can be challenging if you are OCD like me and don't like losing the Beads.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is pretty challenging too!!

I've heard Sin and Punishment is difficult but both the Mario Galaxy games were pretty easy to me. I found the 2nd one a bit of a chore at points even.

Kybyrian

I'm assuming that you have a PC that is able to handle most games, so I'm going to recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas to you. I found Fallout 3 to be a great and challenging game on the hardest difficulty. Sometimes there were enemies you just had to sidestep because you couldn't take them on. Fallout: New Vegas is similar but I believe it to be just a tad harder than Fallout 3, especially if you're playing on Hardcore mode, which is basically an even more amped up Very Hard difficulty. I don't think it would be too much of a tear-your-hair-out situation, but it varies among different people.

If you don't have a PC that runs that, even though most PCs should be able to handle it with the graphics tuned down a little if you don't have an awesome gaming PC, then I don't really know what else to tell you. I haven't played many challenging games myself, and the ones that I have I can't recall.

I'm frankly surprised no one brought up a real popular freeware game. I Wanna Be the Guy is what I speak of. There are a lot of cheap-shots that the game will take at you, so be warned.
Hm, there's also Dragon Warrior 2 and Earthbound Zero. Those are only easy if you over-grind, and I don't mean just being a level above the next boss, I mean at least 15 levels above the last boss. So unless you have the patience of a rock, they're hard.
Then there's Megaman 1 and 9, Final Fantasy 1, and Yume Nikki. They're all hard for different reasons, like Yume Nikki is hard because it's so easy to get lost, Megaman 1 and 9 have ridiculous jumps, and Final Fantasy 1 bombards you with enemies.

If by challenging, you mean so tedious and annoying that it can be called challenging, try Super Mario 64.

A bit harsh. I redid that game some months after I completed the DS version, which has more 30 more stars but is easier, somehow. Didn't find it too hard to be honest, although I'm sure a few bits made me swear.

I may give the Fallout series a blast soon. I've heard good things, although I tend to gravitate towards colourful games.

Super Monkey Ball is killing me atm. I'm trying to get the Master levels and you have to do all the Expert ones without losing a continue. Considering there are 50 levels that is a lot of potential for fail.

I just completed the first ninja gaiden today. A proud moment in my gaming life xD. so if you want unmerciful challenge that's the only thing i have on the mind right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom