• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks Get 1:15 in Whip Race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm trying to win the Heart Container in the Whip Race. Now, if I were nowhere near winning it, I would not be so irritated. I would likely have written it off as impossible.

But the problem is that I literally keep scoring RIGHT between 1:16 and 1:20. I just can't seem to shave that extra two seconds off. Even if I seem to cut a corner here or there, something else seems to make up for it. The biggest problem seems to be those stupid thorn bushes. I know that those are what make me fail... the problem is that I can't pick the thorns off of them fast enough thanks to that "auto-deselect feature" which trips me up when trying to pull them off. And if I only pull one thorn off, the other one slows me down enough to counteract my progress!

It just seems like there's a "wall" at 1:16 I can't seem to get past through practicing alone. I just can't understand why I'm stifled at such an awkward point. It seems almost intentional.

Pikacondon

Title.
Practice with the whip if you can, and if you want to pull off thorns faster, use the L/R instant item configuration. If you're not too good at that you can just tap really fast with the stylus. Thanks to a data flaw in the DSI, ST's limit to your speed has dropped a bit. If you're using a DS or DS Lite, it will be a bit easier. I hope you can get it done.

athenian200

Circumspect
Practice with the whip if you can, and if you want to pull off thorns faster, use the L/R instant item configuration. If you're not too good at that you can just tap really fast with the stylus. Thanks to a data flaw in the DSI, ST's limit to your speed has dropped a bit. If you're using a DS or DS Lite, it will be a bit easier. I hope you can get it done.

Oh, no... my DS Lite broke, which was the reason I got a DSi. I just wanted one so that I could feel like I was upgrading rather than replacing my DS Lite.

It looks like I should have just swallowed my pride and purchased another DS Lite. I mean, no GBA slot, games play with bugs... I didn't sign up for this. The only advantage is that there are a few good DSiware titles. :(

I'm still getting a time of about 1:16... although it's coming more consistently at 1:16 exactly, no more 1:17 or 1:18 runs unless I make a mistake.

I think that in order to run this, I'm going to need to play that course PERFECTLY. That means getting used to and anticipating EVERYTHING, and responding to it the moment it appears on screen, or even a fraction of a second before. I mean, the guy in the walkthrough video finished the course at 1:09 playing about the same as me (or perhaps even slightly worse), so that means there was some "slack" in the original design. Thanks to the data error, I'm probably going to have to push my DSi and my hands to the limit for those extra two seconds.

Oh, and I'm flattered that you quoted me in your signature. :)

My record is 1:08

^_^

I kept trying to get 1:05 at least, but i couldnt, and i spent days, (like 6 hours a day) trying, i think to lowest you can go is 1:08

athenian200

Circumspect
My record is 1:08

^_^

I kept trying to get 1:05 at least, but i couldnt, and i spent days, (like 6 hours a day) trying, i think to lowest you can go is 1:08

Well, it is rather nice to think that I'm only 8 seconds off of the best time attainable. It means I'm probably only making a few critical mistakes... I just need to figure out what I'm not doing fast enough, and where I'm not taking the best route.

After all, if some people can get 1:08, and all I need is 1:14... surely there's some way to do it.

I've gotten used to the auto-deselect thing, but it's only cut my time a little... I'm now getting EXACTLY 1:15.5, which isn't quite enough.

Well, one thing i do is use L or R (depending on which hand you use most) to pull my weapon out, i never tap the weapon icon, it saves a LOT of time. Also, when you can, roll once or twice, itll give you a small boost.

Thats all i can really say, thats how i do it. :)

athenian200

Circumspect
Well, one thing i do is use L or R (depending on which hand you use most) to pull my weapon out, i never tap the weapon icon, it saves a LOT of time. Also, when you can, roll once or twice, itll give you a small boost.

Thats all i can really say, thats how i do it. :)

Actually... I haven't been rolling. I didn't think of that, because it was so hard to roll in Phantom Hourglass that I couldn't do it easily or quickly. But in ST, I only need to tap the side of the screen twice to roll. It's easy enough that I could feasibly save some time that way.

At this point, I only need to get about half a second faster... that might put me over the edge.

So:

1. Start using R/L to select weapon.
2. Roll while on solid ground to move faster.

I'll implement both of the strategies and see what happens.

athenian200

Circumspect
I did it!

I got 1:14 in the Whip Race! On my DSi, too... despite the timing bugs mentioned earlier.

All I had to do was roll on the solid ground, master pulling out my whip with R, and tap madly on the next log, rather than just tapping once.

So, I can break it down into three steps:

1. Roll whenever you're not too close to the thorns or the edge of a platform.
2. Pull out your weapons with R.
3. Tap like a madman on the next log as soon as you can see it, perhaps even half a second before.

A fourth, unofficial tip might be to use the DS Lite or original DS instead of the DSi, thanks to the timing glitch that was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom