• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is Anyone else Annoyed About OoT-3DS?

J

Janthran

I was hoping Nintendo could wait a while before releasing another handheld console. Now that 3DS is being released, they're going to stop making games for DS original. It's so annoying, how I never get to have the new system. EVERY single time I buy a new console, Nintendo discontinues it and makes a better one.

Where the heck am I supposed to get 300$ for a 3DS? I was hoping OoT would be remade for DS original. >_<

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Well, I am disappointed with the idea that they are remaking a game instead of coming up with new ideas for other new games. And yes, I am not going to get the 3DS right off the bat, I am going to see whether there are games I will enjoy or not. 300$ is expensive.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
OoT for DS? Sure, but it'd be HEAVILY toned down graphics and story-wise. Oh, and gameplay wise (narrows eyes at the Stylus series)
----
They aren't discontinuing the DS. Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is coming for the DS, and some other DS games are being released for the 3D. They may discontinue the base console, but I'm sure they'll keep making games for it until the 3DS takes precedence. Besides, OoT 3DS is amazingly awesome, to say the least. The system isn't $300 for the US, it'll likely be $250 or so. Remember that Japan sometimes has things on the expensive side whereas America will have it lessened.

Steve

5/19/13
The only time I was impressed by the DS, was at it's launch, since that was when all of the great titles for it were released. That also seems to apply with the 3DS, as we already have many great titles announced for it, and then it will likely go into a slump just as the DS did. I will say though, I'm glad they are remaking Ocarina of Time with these cosmetic changes, which I think will strengthen my opinion on the game. $270 is far too much money to be spending on a handheld, however, and one common thing with Nintendo handhelds is they always make a couple better versions later on. At that time, the price should have dropped quite a bit, and would at least be worth it. With that, I went and bought an Xbox 360 which I think is much more worth the $300, and will at least last me until the 3DS has a more realistic cost.

Kazumi

chagy
Well, to be fair by the time the 3DS comes out here it will have been almost seven years of the DS. I think that is plenty of time to purchase one and enjoy it. I bought my first DS, a DS Lite, shortly after they came out in 2007. I later acquired an old DS Phat from one of my friends for teh cheap, and then got a DSi for Christmas last year. I've had a lot of fun with my DS but I am definitely ready to move on. I don't mean to be rude but I think it's kind of unfair that you expect them to keep supporting the original DS like that. There are still plenty of new games coming out for it such as the new Kirby, Pokemon Black and White, new Kingdom Hearts, Golden Sun and more.

Also, by the way the DS can't really do an OoT remake. It isn't really powerful enough, and doesn't have nearly enough buttons. Even if they did downscale the graphics and add some aggravating and barely usable additional touchscreen controls then the D-pad still wouldn't work well for the game at all. You really need an analog stick for something like 3D Zelda.. It worked OK for Mario, but still wasn't very good.

One more note, the 3DS will NOT cost 300 dollars. That is the direct, rough Yen to USD conversion. I guarantee it will be more in the range of 199.99 to 224.99 USD. It kind of bothers me when people don't take that into consideration.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Well, I am disappointed with the idea that they are remaking a game instead of coming up with new ideas for other new games. And yes, I am not going to get the 3DS right off the bat, I am going to see whether there are games I will enjoy or not. 300$ is expensive.

There is no evidence that they're remaking games instead of coming up with new ideas. On the contrary, most remakes coincide with new games (see the Final Fantasy series).

I am excited about the 3DS, even though it is expensive and I'm not sure I'll get it on release. OoT would be quite hard to control on the original DS, and it's a perfect fit for the new system.

Steve said:
The only time I was impressed by the DS, was at it's launch, since that was when all of the great titles for it were released. That also seems to apply with the 3DS, as we already have many great titles announced for it, and then it will likely go into a slump just as the DS did.

Please explain this "slump." All I've seen is a steady stream of new, great games. Games like Etrian Odyssey, Starfy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Castlevania, etc. have been released well after the DS's launch. Quite frankly, I enjoyed the DS more than any of the consoles because it had the type of games (platformers, JRPGs, etc.) that the consoles used to get, while most of the console software is either gimmicky (on the Wii) or FPS/action-based. The DS is the only game system that catered to me.

I'm sure the 3DS will be great too.

VanitasXII said:
OoT for DS? Sure, but it'd be HEAVILY toned down graphics and story-wise. Oh, and gameplay wise (narrows eyes at the Stylus series)

While I agree with you that OoT is preferable for the 3DS, I don't quite get what you're saying here. The DS was capable of N64 graphics and data storage and more--Mario 64 DS proved this. If it had released for the DS, OoT would probably have had more, not less, content than the N64 original.

I wasn't disappointed at all. More excited it was finally happening I guess. Or maybe not excited. I don't really care about re-makes in particular, so I'll probably take my time getting a hold of this one (although I'm definitely getting it).

I feel your pain, though. I've pretty constantly been unable to buy new consoles (or at least upon getting them be able to get very few new games). On the bright side, there's always tons of great old games for really cheap while you wait for the price to go down. :)

Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is coming for the DS...
*ears perk up*

Srsly? I like the sound of that. :3

So, you basically thought they were trying to fool you with the title OOT 3DS?
He's saying that he was hoping they would re-make OoT - as many were - during the time of the DS. Many people were hoping for this. He was disappointed to hear it was moved to the 3DS

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
It's so annoying, how I never get to have the new system. EVERY single time I buy a new console, Nintendo discontinues it and makes a better one.
How do you expect them to keep up with the competition? Without releasing new and better consoles they'll go bankrupt and won't make any games. Imagine if Nintendo was still making NES games. Eventually the next console will come out and you'll be disappointed that Nintendo will stop making 3DS or Wii games.

Austin

Austin
Dude, are you serious!? The DS has existed since 2004. The 3DS will be released in 2011. This means that the DS existed for 7 years! I was starting to get annoyed with the Nintendo DS's life span! Nintendo shouldn't prolong a device's life span by releasing sub versions (DS Lite, DSI, XL). The DS wasn't even that good compared to the PSP, graphics and processing power wise. However, the 3DS will trump the PSP with its hardware. This will allow game developers to try out newer and funner ways to for game play. I'm actually really excited for the 3DS. I will say that it is expensive, but it is expensive for a reason. I may have talk to some people and get a temporarily job to save up for the 3DS. School is tough on me financial wise, which means I'll have to work a little extra hard to afford the 3DS. Why don't you get a job and save up for it? $300 dollars is like 2-3 weeks of working. After that, you will have it for years and years (assuming you treat it good). Also the games aren't that expensive, so it won't cost too much to get a decent collection. I don't see whats the big problem?.

OoT for the original DS? I don't think the DS's hardware can handle it. The DS was a nice piece of hardware, but it's hardware didn't trump the N64. It was able to handle a few N64 games, but it most certainly can't handle them all. The 3DS however, does trump the N64, and can probably handle most, if not all, N64 games. Like I previously said, I'm excited to see what game developers are going to do with the amped up hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Janthran said:
It's so annoying, how I never get to have the new system. EVERY single time I buy a new console, Nintendo discontinues it and makes a better one.

I can understand you on this. I just bought my DSi last year and I found out that they were coming out with this some time later. It does annoy me, but not to the extent of me hating that they're coming out with the 3DS. I'm looking forward to it's release and I can't wait until I get my hands on OoT-3DS either. Hopefully I get enough money before it comes out though. XD So in short, no, I'm not annoyed about OoT 3DS. I'm more so excited for it. :)

VanitasXII said:
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is coming for the DS...

Ohmygosh! Seriously?! I'm adding that to my list of games to get when they come out! :D

David

But you called me here...
There is no way that I'm annoyed with OoT-3DS. I am really looking forward to it. I can imagine that there will be extra content added to the game seeing as how the hardware is superior to the N64. Plus, from what we've seen, the graphics are better than the N64 version. I'm super excited for the game.

And Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded is coming out for the DS?!?!?! That is definitely going to be on my list.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
The only thing that annoys me about OoT-3DS is that I'll be expected to appreciate the improved graphics on a diminutive screen. Why couldn't they release it on a console? Oh, right... because they don't want to use the Classic controller for new games, and the 3DS has more buttons that the Wii remote. It's just sad. It really is.

I hope their next console officially supports both a traditional controller, and a pointing device, rather than sticking us with the pointing device. Some games just work better with a controller.

Anyway... no, I'm not terribly disappointed that OoT didn't come out for the DS. If it had, it probably would have been little more than a direct port like the VC version, and thus not worth getting. The DS is only barely as powerful as the N64. It can match the N64 if new coding techniques are taken advantage of, but there's not much hope of surpassing it. Meanwhile, the 3DS might manage to play some Gamecube games later in life.

By the way, these consoles have been living forever, to be honest with you... Nintendo usually replaces them every 5 years based on their past record. The DS family has lasted longer than that, so a new system is overdue. I don't consider the the DS Lite or DSi to be new systems, any more than I considered the GBA SP to be a new system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom