• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possibility for Downloadable Skyward Sword Demo in Wii Shop Channel

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

I have already emailed Nintendo at games/other. They said they were bringing the subject up with other departments and considering it.

There's a slim chance this will work, but I'm asking you, if you have the time, to e-mail Nintendo and ask them to actually make the Skyward Sword demo available on the Wii Shop Channel for WiiWare because the more e-mails about this they get the better a chance they will do this!

Use these points if you want:

1. I mean, every other console has downloadable demos for their games, Nintendo needs to stay competitive like that!

2. Sure you need the Wii motion plus, but it's only $20, you could even get it bundled with Wii Sports Resort.

3. Eiji Auwhatshisface (don't call him that in the e-mail) even said they really want everybody to experience how Skyward Sword really works.

4. Everyone would buy it, because it's Zelda.

One thing going against us is that the demo will be useless when the actual game comes out, but that's why it will be a LIMITED TIME OFFER!

We have good points!!! I doubt it will work but we have to believe!

Another thing: If you have any good points that might talk Nintendo into doing this please post them!!!

(I posted this on Zelda Universe too)

Last edited:
S

Sturgeon

God, I would love for that to happen. I've been waiting a long time for Nintendo to start posting demoes and DLC's on the shop channel.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
That would be an excellent idea. I mean, then we could actually have a fair judging of the game before it is released ( which I'm sure will be positive anyway ). Also, it would allow us a chance to grow acustomed to the game.

Good thread!

Austin

Austin
Heh, I really like this idea. I kinda live under a rock so I don't know if Nintendo has done anything like this before, but if they haven't, it would set a wonderful precedent. It could generate some extra revenue and generate more hype for the game. So yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sturgeon

Reply from David Glover, a Nintendo representative:

Hello,

Every so often we hear from consumers who want Nintendo to publish demos of upcoming games. I can understand the desire; players like you are excited about what's on the horizon and are eager to experience it, even if only for a few minutes. Nintendo understands this, and it is for this reason that we make sure that stores that sell our products have kiosks for all our systems set up where players may try out or view trailers for a variety of different games.

Kazumi

chagy
Well. It may be possible, but without the use of an SD card, or GASP, a USB drive I doubt that there would be enough room on the Wii's "hard drive", considering it's only 500MB and most demos on PS3/Xbox 360 are well over a GB. If Nintendo ever, ever even slightly decides to use either the SD or USB port to store things on, then it could happen fairly easily. But I really doubt that they would do that. I really would love if they did this, because after E3 I'm still very skeptical on the controls and would like to try it for myself.

But I still doubt that Nintendo would ever do this. It's far to good of an idea for them. Though I do believe they did something similar with Metroid Prime 3. I'm not sure it was a demo or not but it was some kind of promotional content. So it may be possible.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Okay, what do you think of this one? I tried to make sure it was a proposal they were interested in.

Dear Nintendo Representative,

I am writing today to inquire about whether Nintendo is willing to consider publishing demos of upcoming games via the Wii Shop channel. I would appreciate such a feature as it would allow me to evaluate the games before purchase, thus allowing me to have a better basis to make purchases that I will be satisfied with. I would not mind paying a small premium, such as 100-200 Wii points, for the privilege of each demo.

I believe that such a feature would encourage me to give a chance to potentially good new games with unfamiliar characters, rather than sticking to established series that I can assume will live up to a certain level of quality. In other words, I believe that it would aid consumers in purchasing games that they will be more satisfied with, and that it could allow you to sell more and higher quality games.

I hope that you will carefully consider this idea, and establish clearly whether it would allow you to better serve both yourselves and your consumers.

Sincerely,

athenian200

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, they sent me a response:

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Hello athenian200,

[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]You're not alone, athenian200! Every so often we hear from consumers who want Nintendo to publish demos of upcoming games. I can understand the desire; players like you are excited about what's on the horizon and are eager to experience it, even if only for a few minutes. Nintendo understands this, and it is for this reason that we make sure that stores that sell our products have kiosks for all our systems set up where players may try out or view trailers for a variety of different games.

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Nintendo's latest innovation for getting demos to the player is the DS Download Station, now available in thousands of stores across the United States and Canada. Bring in your DS and download from a list of available demos that you can take anywhere with you as long as the system remains on. Try as many as you like, but you may only try one at a time. For more details, please check out the official DS Download Station website! I've provided a link below:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]http://www.nintendo.com/ds/downloadstation/[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Sincerely,

[/FONT]

Nintendo of America Inc
Hmm... so, it looks like they already have something like this for the DS, though only in stores. They're clearly very paranoid about misuse of the demos, however, as they seem intent on making sure that the game only exists in RAM (will disappear when the game restarts), which precludes them from doing this with the Wii.

So, if I were a fly on the wall in Nintendo HQ, I can imagine hearing the developers and sales people talking about how useful demos like these would be in selling games, while the lawyers and management are complaining about how much potential for piracy that opens up, and how difficult it is to protect games that are released in a purely digital format. They're probably afraid that allowing the demos would create a slippery slope, because the demos themselves constitute intellectual property, and that it might be difficult to legally justify protecting the game if they don't protect the demos of the same game.

That means you'll get it, if and when Nintendo finds a format they trust, and gets a lot of laws changed in their favor so that they can prosecute piracy of purely digital data more easily.

Last edited:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I really hoped they would bring the E3 SS demo to WiiWare, but I doubt it will happen. I would even pay $5 to try it out for myself as a WiiWare title, not a free demo. Odd, I know, but hey, it's a unique little Zelda playable area as it won't be 100% the same for the game's final release. After the unforutnately bug-plagued demo at E3, I would think they'd want to make sure people know the game works for themselves. I know 9 out of 10 reporters say it does, but let me experience it for myself.

I wonder why they can't just make an expiring demo like they did with the Metroid Prime 3 preview channel if they're so worried about the game staying in system memory? Something must have been flawed with the MP3 channel for them not to continue as it was the sole channel available of this type. Seems somewhat odd.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
dlc and demos are really cool and its sad that Nintendo holds back in this area, they could do so much more with their games like with their new wii party game they could add dlc minigames and the skyward sword demo could be released as well. I think it would be a shame if the demo area is never seen again. they should release it in some form or other. I still think we might see a similar area in the actual game but the E3 demo shouldn't dissapear forever... it would seem like such a waste to just discard it. however Nintendo may wait till they release their next home console to start adding dlc and demos, companies that develop technologies like a slow progression versus rapid developement. by making small upgrades each time they can make a lot more money. Thats why the made the ds, ds lite, dsi, dsixl and so on, i know... its a drag...

Z

ZeldaPower

If They did do that , i still would buy the game ,Because i would feal better if i did have it from the stores.

I would think thats a good idea because people might want to download it more then buy it. Also it will be cheaper maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom