• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Finished Games of 2010

This thread is exactly what the title says it is. Games that you have beaten this year along with your thoughts about said game(s).

Pokemon: Soul Silver
Red Dead Redemption
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Katamari Forever
Metal Gear Solid

I just finished Metal Gear Solid earlier today. Sadly, this hasn't been a very good gaming year for me even though I'm sitting on a rather large collection of games. I just haven't completed many of them. Metal Gear Solid is nostalgic. I was playing the PSN version, though I wish I had my GameCube with me so that I could play Twin Snakes instead. The updated graphics and controls would have been really nice. MGS is a great series. I bought The Essential Collection, which is 1-3, a couple of weeks ago. Sadly I don't have a working PS2 and neither does my girlfriend. We also both have the PS3 Slim which isn't backwards compatible. I just moved to New Jersey from Virginia so I'm going to have to wait until I get a new job before I bother purchasing a new PS2.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
The games I finished this year were:

Bayonetta
- I <3 this game. To be honest, I thought it was a little bit gruesome and weird at first because you had to use Bayonetta to summon demons using her hair, but the game play was nonstop, graphics were great, and the storyline it had was awesome. Bayonetta is definitely one of my top favorite female characters. Oh wait....the music is so enjoyable too! :nod:

Final Fantasy XIII- :xd:Best game ever, and also one of the longest FF games I've ever played. I haven't finished acquiring all of the achievements yet, but the storyline was cool and the characters were really likable and even inspiring:embarrassed:. I almost cried at some parts of the dialogue though, but overall I would give it a 10/10. Oh and best soundtrack too! :) I really enjoyed listening to it.

Tomb Raider Underworld- ......I died too many times lol. My dad would even laugh at me when I failed. But, anyway it was okay I guess. The storyline could have been longer though. I still think Tomb Raider Legend is better.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl- I finally finished it! Overall it was fun and enjoyable. I hated the great maze though ugh!

RE5- (If it wasn't for my sister then I would have never touched this game.)
It was actually pretty good. The storyline was nice and the characters were pretty fun to watch. Some of my favorites were Chris, Sheva, and Jill especially. I never thought I would like this game, but I have to say that it did take me by surprise. The mercenaries mode is pretty cool too because you can also play with your friends which is something I like to do. :)

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Okami: I loved the art style in this game, with its hand-drawn look. The brush controls were a lot of fun, and the characters were very charming. The combat was fairly repetitive, unfortunately. Other than that, this turned out to be a very enjoyable experience.

Chrono Trigger: I'd been meaning to pick this up and play it for a long time, and I'm glad I did. The story was excellent, the characters very magnetic, and the dialogue was spectacular; I love how all the speech patterns and mannerisms of the NPCs change depending on the time period (Nothing like being insulted in Shakespearean :lol:). The trial segment was absolutely genius, and I could see that it must have been very ahead of its time, being able to render different outcomes of the trial based on very subtle actions. The time travel, too, was very well done, particularly because it reminded me of Ocarina of Time (to an extent). I loved the combat, and all the endings were well worth earning. Delightful, magical game -- I can see why it is so revered as a classic. Now it's one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

Mass Effect:
Excellent story (although occasionally hokey), and generally fun game play, but the side quests were very repetitive. There were a lot of themes that could be related to in modern-day society, particularly with all the the different races and locales. I loved the characters, too. Great game altogether.

Mass Effect 2: The story of the main quest was well done, (although it felt a little contrived at times), but the side quests and "loyalty" missions were excellent, both story-wise and in game play. The fact that you get to see the impact of the decisions from the first game was brilliant; I really enjoyed that. I loved exploring the worlds and seeing all the different political parallels and themes to real life, and all the tension between the different factions; it really made me care about my actions in the game, and I really grew attached to the characters. One of my favourite games of the year.

Super Mario Galaxy 2: Beautiful graphics (especially for the Wii), with very smart game play ideas that continued to impress and wow me. And the sound track was fantastic; all games should have orchestrated music -- the addition to the atmosphere is invaluable. Excellent challenge and some lovely nostalgia here and there; and the very last star in the game really impresses. Phenomenal; my favourite game of the year so far.

Fallout 3: Incredibly long, but very much worth it. I loved the sardonic, Cold War atmosphere with propaganda and rubble littering the remnants of the world. I love the 1940s/1950s culture and music, so I was a big fan of that. The dystopian society and political preaching (or sarcastic lack thereof, depending on what characters you're talking to) was great. Game play was generally very good, despite glitches both horrendously crippling to the game and very numerous. And Tranquility Lane, well, that was just pure genius. I ate that right up. Excellent stuff.

Last edited:

@lex MM

The Lurker
Let's see....
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask(3 times, yeah:lol:)
Wind Waker, but not 100%
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Rise of Nations(kinda)
Mario Kart 64

And yeah, as you can see, I'm a Nintendo freak:lol:

The games I finished this year were:

Bayonetta- I <3 this game. To be honest, I thought it was a little bit gruesome and weird at first because you had to use Bayonetta to summon demons using her hair, but the game play was nonstop, graphics were great, and the storyline it had was awesome. Bayonetta is definitely one of my top favorite female characters. Oh wait....the music is so enjoyable too! :nod:
If you enjoy Bayonetta, have you given Devil May Cry a try? They're basically the same thing. DMC is just a much better game with much better game play, music, and storyline. The game play of Bayonetta was entertaining for a while, but the storyline and music were both garbage.

Final Fantasy XIII- :xd:Best game ever, and also one of the longest FF games I've ever played. I haven't finished acquiring all of the achievements yet, but the storyline was cool and the characters were really likable and even inspiring:embarrassed:. I almost cried at some parts of the dialogue though, but overall I would give it a 10/10. Oh and best soundtrack too! :) I really enjoyed listening to it.
I have this game as well and it is by far the worst piece of trash to ever be called a Final Fantasy game. It would be impossible to create a game any more linear than FFXIII and manage to get away with it. During the storyline there are no side quests, there is no free roam, there are no beautiful cities to explore, and amazingly, no shops to walk into. The story and characters are both borderline okay. Visually, the game has a lot of power behind it, especially during the cutscenes, but the game looks like crap. During this horrible storyline, you traverse a linear arid wasteland of a game that is not beautiful or immersive. So that leaves the soundtrack to be the best thing to come out of this game? Best game EVER. I'm going to go play Final Fantasy III on my NDS now.

RE5- (If it wasn't for my sister then I would have never touched this game.)
It was actually pretty good. The storyline was nice and the characters were pretty fun to watch. Some of my favorites were Chris, Sheva, and Jill especially. I never thought I would like this game, but I have to say that it did take me by surprise. The mercenaries mode is pretty cool too because you can also play with your friends which is something I like to do. :)
A very fun coop game. Nothing like shooting zombies with your friends, but I think L4D has that covered now. Your choice of video games seems to be very poor. RE5 has the worst storyline of the whole series. Just throwing that out there.

Fallout 3: Incredibly long, but very much worth it. I loved the sardonic, Cold War atmosphere with propaganda and rubble littering the remnants of the world. I love the 1940s/1950s culture and music, so I was a big fan of that. The dystopian society and political preaching (or sarcastic lack thereof, depending on what characters you're talking to) was great. Game play was generally very good, despite glitches both horrendously crippling to the game and very numerous. And Tranquility Lane, well, that was just pure genius. I ate that right up. Excellent stuff.
I've played very little of this game. I've made it out of the vault and completed about 5 side quests maybe. The beginning seems to be very tough. Lack of caps, armor, weapons that are worth anything, as well as the lack of food (or at least food that will give you more than 5HP and be worth the RADs) definitely immerses you into the game. It's definitely very challenging having to scavenge for everything. I've enjoyed the game so far and hopefully get around to putting more time into it now that I finished up Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:
Let's see:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Really liked this one. Built on everything the first had, and just made it better. Plus it added new elements to the mix, which made it better. Haven't 100% completed it yet though; some of these green stars are insanely hard to get.

Final Fantasy XIII - Really liked this one too. After the horrendous battle system that was FFXII, I welcomed the brand new battle style with arms wide open. Thought the story was excellent too, and since battle system and story are what I mainly look for in a FF game, I was extremely pleased.

Mirror's Edge - If there's one thing I love about a game, it's when one comes along and gives me something I've never done before. Finally bought this one out of a bargain bin at Game Stop, and couldn't be happier. I've heard there's a sequel coming pretty soon, and I can't wait.

Pokemon: Heart Gold - Yep, I consider kicking Red's *** the final boss in the game. Just the nostalgia factor was enough to make this title great, but it delivered beyond that as well, with tons of new additions. I LOVE re-challenging gym leaders.

I've beaten a lot of old games I've already played through this year too, but those are the brand new ones that came off the top of my head.

Your choice of video games seems to be very poor. RE5 has the worst storyline of the whole series. Just throwing that out there.

I really don't think you're the one that has the right to judge that for her.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
Seethe said:
If you enjoy Bayonetta, have you given Devil May Cry a try? They're basically the same thing. DMC is just a much better game with much better game play, music, and storyline. The game play of Bayonetta was entertaining for a while, but the storyline and music were both garbage.

Yeah, I did and I didn't like it. Why are you saying DMC and Bayonetta are the same thing when you just bashed my game? That's your opinion if you thought the storyline and music were garbage. How about I say that listening to that heavy metal crap or that bogus storyline in DMC was a waste of time?

Seethe said:
I have this game as well and it is by far the worst piece of trash to ever be called a Final Fantasy game. It would be impossible to create a game any more linear than FFXIII and manage to get away with it.

I don't care if you or anyone else didn't like it. I bought the game and I gave my opinion about it. Geez maybe you should have put on your original post a list of games that you were going to bash as a warning to other posters.:dry:

Seethe said:
During the storyline there are no side quests, there is no free roam, there are no beautiful cities to explore, and amazingly, no shops to walk into.The story and characters are both borderline okay. Visually, the game has a lot of power behind it, especially during the cutscenes, but the game looks like crap.

There were side quests. And you can free roam anywhere you wanted when you advanced further into the game. Beautiful cities to explore? Uh, Nautilus? Eden? I would even consider Oerba too even though that place is destroyed. Again that's your opinion if you thought the game was sooooo horrible.

Seethe said:
During this horrible storyline, you traverse a linear arid wasteland of a plane that is not beautiful or immersive. So that leaves the soundtrack to be the best thing to come out of this game? Best game EVER. I'm going to go play Final Fantasy III on my NDS now.

pft whatever. Gran Pulse was a beautiful place to explore. I just don't understand why you can't see that. I'm not going to fight with you on which Final Fantasy is the best game ever. I have my tastes and you have yours so lets just leave it at that.

Seethe said:
Your choice of video games seems to be very poor. RE5 has the worst storyline of the whole series. Just throwing that out there.

Let me tell you something...I never bashed any of your games you listed, but you've bashed almost everyone of mine with the exception of Tomb Raider and SSBB. I don't need to like every game that everyone plays like Batman, RDR or MGS. Those games aren't for me.

And about RE5....that was my first RE game I played, so I don't care if the previous games had fantastic story lines, or not. I liked it and the characters. Oh, and MGS is old now......just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
There were side quests. And you can free roam anywhere you wanted when you advanced further into the game.
Chapter 11 of 13. You basically complete the game before these features come along.

Let me tell you something...I never bashed any of your games you listed, but you've bashed almost everyone of mine with the exception of Tomb Raider and SSBB. I don't need to like every game that everyone plays like Batman, RDR or MGS. Those games aren't for me.

And about RE5....that was my first RE game I played, so I don't care if the previous games had fantastic story lines, or not. I liked it and the characters. Oh, and MGS is old now......just throwing that out there.
Feel free to bash the games I listed and I will more than gladly defend them if at all possible. I can bash Tomb Raider and SSBB for you too if you would like. You're entitled to you're opinion of a game and how good it is just as much as I am entitled to my opinion of how bad it is. Don't be offended. Lighten up and rightfully defend your said "best game ever".

Oh, and MGS may be old, but it's still better than all of the games you listed, IMO. ;)

jugglaj91

I am me....
This is about games you finished, not about what game is the best. Take that kind of thing elsewhere.

LoZ: ST
I beat GH:WT and 5.
RB 1,2, and Green Day.
SSBB
DDR: Mario Mix
Mario 3, and Sonic 2

Which is all amazing considering I have obtained many games this year along with getting a 360 and Wii, both of which I have had previously. Sad that I haven't played much Zelda. Guess that is my next venture.

This is about games you finished, not about what game is the best. Take that kind of thing elsewhere.
Thanks for telling me what my own thread is about. There is nothing wrong with discussing the games that you have finished. I believe I said:

This thread is exactly what the title says it is. Games that you have beaten this year along with your thoughts about said game(s).

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
Hmm, off the top of my head...

Super Mario Galaxy 2: It improved upon SMG in some areas, but at the same time there were some things that I didn't like. Most notably the lack of a proper hub... I hated Starship Mario. Some things I did enjoy though, were the green stars and the Grandmaster Galaxy. The thing I hated most about SMG1 was the linear levels and lack of exploration, so finding the green stars was very enjoyable to me. The 'Perfect Run' mission in Grandmaster Galaxy was my favorite part of the game by far. I can't remember the last time I had trouble playing a Mario game. Even if it was just one mission, it made the game that much more enjoyable to me.

Zelda II: Adventure of Link: Yeah, it's pretty old, but I finally beat it a few weeks ago... Then I played through it again. I greatly enjoyed this game. It's underrated because people say it's hard, but it's not very hard once you get the hang of it. It just takes a lot of patience.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
Seethe said:
Feel free to bash the games I listed and I will more than gladly defend them if at all possible.

Why would I? There's really no need to because I haven't played any of those games before. None of them interest me, so what's the use of bashing them? and besides bashing other people's video games wasn't part of this thread. I only know MGS because I watched other people play it. Anyways, moving on....

Seethe said:
You're entitled to you're opinion of a game and how good it is just as much as I am entitled to my opinion of how bad it is. Don't be offended. Lighten up and rightfully defend your said "best game ever".

Don't be offended? what is this? You just said that my choice in "video games seems to be very poor". That's offensive! How would you like it if I said your choices in videogames downright sucks? I know that you have the right to say whatever, but you had no right in saying that. Final Fantasy XIII, Bayonetta, and RE5 might have been garbage to you, but to me they weren't.

Seethe said:
Oh, and MGS may be old, but it's still better than all of the games you listed, IMO. ;)
yeah keeping thinking that.....

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Don't be offended? what is this? You just said that my choice in "video games seems to be very poor". That's offensive! How would you like it if I said your choices in videogames downright sucks? I know that you have the right to say whatever, but you had no right in saying that. Final Fantasy XIII, Bayonetta, and RE5 might have been garbage to you, but to me they weren't.

I agree with you, and Resident Evil is way better then Metal Gear. And anyway what kind of thread is this? "List games you passed this year and hear my feedback"?

Anyway I have a big list of games I passed in 2010.

Sonic Unleashed:360
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Uncaged:360
Spider-Man Web of Shadows:360
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer:360
The Punisher:XBOX
Iron Man:360
The Incredible Hulk:360
X-Men The Official Game:360
Batman Arkham Asylum:360
Max Payne:XBOX
Max Payne The Fall of Max Payne:XBOX
TMNT:GBA
Resident Evil Archives Resident Evil:Wii
Resident Evil 2:Gamecube
Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles:Wii
Dead Rising:360
Dead Space:360
Tomb Raider Anniversary:360
Tomb Raider Legend:360
Crash of the Titans:360
Crash of the Titans:DS
Sonic the Hedgehog:360 Arcade
Sonic the Hedgehog 2:360 Arcade
Sonic the Hedgehog 3:360 Arcade
Sonic and Knuckles:360 Arcade
Splinter Cell:XBOX
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow:XBOX

I've been quite busy with gaming this year. But I think I'm forgetting some.

Last edited:

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
You're entitled to you're opinion of a game and how good it is just as much as I am entitled to my opinion of how bad it is.
That's right, you are entitled to your own opinion; but an opinion does not allow for speaking in absolutes. You don't have the right to say that someone's opinion is wrong or poor, because it's their opinion. You have the right to say that you thought a game was bad, but you can't expect to make personal accusations and then not expect people to get upset.

That's right, you are entitled to your own opinion; but an opinion does not allow for speaking in absolutes. You don't have the right to say that someone's opinion is wrong or poor, because it's their opinion. You have the right to say that you thought a game was bad, but you can't expect to make personal accusations and then not expect people to get upset.
Whether I think someone's choice in video games is poor or not is also my opinion and not a absolute. Claiming a video game to be the "best ever" is speaking in absolutes that were clearly wrong to begin with and I simply denounced the statement with my opinion.

I didn't make this thread to bash every game that everyone has played. I would simply like to discuss them, whether they are poor or great IMO. I just happened to dislike some of the games that she has played and I have as well and stated my opinion of them along with hers. Big deal. Grow up, please. I would like to discuss video games.

And just to clear things up, I never said her opinion was wrong or poor, I said the video games were poor, along with her choices of said video games. I did not denounce her opinion at all, I simply stated mine. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom