• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Chances That SS Will Be Ranked #1 of All Time?

Chances SS will be the #1 ranked game of all time?

• 0% - There is no chance that SS will be #1...ain't no way, ain't now how

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-10% - It's possible, but highly, highly unlikely

• 10-25% - There's a chance, but I would bet against it

• 25-40% - If they pull everything off perfectly, it stands a good chance. It could really happen

• 40-60% - It's about 50-50...it looks like it could challenge for the crown, could go either way

• 60-75% - There is a solid chance. It's probable; more likely than not

• 75-90% - SS should be the highest ranked game of all time. I am expecting it will be

• 90-99% - It's looking like a shoe-in. I would be shocked if this did not take the #1 spot

• 100% - Are you kidding me? This is clearly going to be the most epic, awesome, glorious game ever!

• Total voters

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
So, three Nintendo games top the list of the all time highest ranked games:

#1 - Ocarina of Time (97.48%)
#2 - Super Mario Galaxy (97.46%)
#3 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97.07%)

Will Skyward Sword be the top ranked game of all time when it comes out? What do you think it's chances of being the best game of all time are?

Kybyrian

I honestly don't think that they are very good at all. I mean, I'm certain it will be a pretty good game, but judging by the number of people that already say they don't like it before the thing even comes out, I doubt that the game will be way up there. Ocarina of Time had the boost from being the first 3D game, the flood of people that liked it because others liked it, and then the true fans of it, and Skyward Sword seems to have less fans than OoT, SMG, and all that already, and there isn't much to boost the number who like it. Chances are that a lot of places aren't going to like it a ton.

I hate that people are already judging it because the style of graphics(except for the pop-up book trees, that's understandable), because the graphics shouldn't matter. It's a Zelda game, and should be good. If anything, this looks even better than all of the other games in the series. Like I said, though, there are people judging it by that and by whatever else they feel and are already hating it, so once more I believe the chances aren't that high of it being ranked way up there.

I doubt it. It'll probably do the same as Super Mario Galaxy 2. At first it will sky-rocket in score and be first. Then it gets to the other places. Then those places will rate it and its score will drop down below Ocarina of Time. Then its score goes back up and its #1 again. Then to other places, and then we get even more scores from the places it just got to and its score will continue to fall down until its under Ocarina of Time. Then it'll just stay in that one place. I'll be here laughing when what I said does happen, even though I hope to gawd it doesn't.

Also Jupiter, your sig is freakin' amazing :P

I think this game definitely has potential to be one of the best games of all time, especially innovation-wise. It'll do to video games what OoT did 12 years ago. Sadly, I think this game has basically zero potentially to actually be RANKED as high as it should be by real-life critics. People are going to criticize this game for things that OoT-era games didn't have to worry about, like graphics or appeal to older audiences. As the gaming industry gets older and more mature, so do it's fans, and there's clearly a broader range of things for people to criticize a game for than there were 10 years ago.

EDIT: I voted 1-10%: It's possible, but highly, highly unlikely
This is SOLELY based on what I think actual critics will rate it. I hope the game will be recognized as the best game of all time, which I actually expect it will be! If it were personal opinion, I would say I'm about 90% sure it will be in my book.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
this game has basically zero potentially to actually be RANKED as high as it should be by real-life critics.

I'm on board with you here.
Seeing all of the negative reactions to graphics is painful. It's sad that people care about it so much.
The reason I think it will do well is because of the game play. It's taking advantage of new technologies to make a better experience for the players and that's why it will get mostly good reviews. I'm also really excited to see the motion plus applied to something other than flying planes or little 3 round battles. I'm sure it will be a hit, just not a number 1 :/

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
It will never be the best loz-game because I think most people will always think OoT was the best game. It might be better but its just an kind of (almost) nostalgic thing that makes people always choose OoT

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I highly doubt it will be ranked as the best Zelda, at least by the general public. Every game will be compared to OoT and everyone's nostalgic feelings for it. Many people can't seem to get it into their heads that another game could surpass it. It could surpass OoT in every way possible, but I doubt people will love it as much as they do, OoT because most people just always remember it as the first Zelda game they played.

I guess there is a possibility though. IMO, the main reason OoT is the most popular is because it was the first Zelda game that most people played. The first game I played (MM) happens to be my favorite and I'm guessing nearly 3/4 of the people on this website would say that the first Zelda game they played is also their favorite. Since the Wii brought a whole new type of gamers (women, children, seniors, etc.) and this game looks like one of the more fairy-tale-ish games, maybe it'll be a huge seller and be the first game many will play, which often is the deciding factor on which game is their favorite. This however wouldn't be the case for critics since they've all played Zelda games before.

I honestly don't think that they are very good at all. I mean, I'm certain it will be a pretty good game, but judging by the number of people that already say they don't like it before the thing even comes out, I doubt that the game will be way up there. Ocarina of Time had the boost from being the first 3D game, the flood of people that liked it because others liked it, and then the true fans of it, and Skyward Sword seems to have less fans than OoT, SMG, and all that already, and there isn't much to boost the number who like it. Chances are that a lot of places aren't going to like it a ton.

I agree with pretty much all that Kybyrian has said before me here. Ocarina of Time gained many fans due to the fact it was boosted by the fact that it was 3D (although I'm unsure to as why Super Mario 64 didn't appear on that list =\), whilst Mario games have always had a huge fan base due to how it changes. Super Mario Galaxy brought a great twist to the Mario series that we have never seen before, whilst Super Mario Galaxy 2 is said to have further improved those aspects. These aspects for all the games were what made them so popular around the world. Skyward Sword only really improves on one thing since Twilight Princess that isn't opinion. That aspect being the controlls for the game being much more accurate and realistic due to Wii Motion +.

I think that Skyward Sword will be as successful as Twilight Princess, due to the fact that even though it had a good plot, Twilight Princess was greatly critised and hated for it's graphics. Now it seems that Skyward Sword is going to be hated (I already have stated that I think that the game doesn't look quite right, but I haven't actually played the game. If they improve it or the game just looks better in person then I won't care. I still want to play it.). There is also the fact that Ocarina of Time is a lot harder for gamers who play it first time than todays Zelda games are, which isn't really going to change in my opinion. That fact doesn't really help Skyward Swords cause.

Kybyrian said:
I hate that people are already judging it because the style of graphics(except for the pop-up book trees, that's understandable), because the graphics shouldn't matter. It's a Zelda game, and should be good. If anything, this looks even better than all of the other games in the series. Like I said, though, there are people judging it by that and by whatever else they feel and are already hating it, so once more I believe the chances aren't that high of it being ranked way up there.

Even though this is a fair statement, Twilight Princess has recieved a hell of a lot of hate due to the fact the graphics weren't liked. So I think that even though it's Zelda, there are going to be many that have problems with the graphics in the game. I'd prefer that I forgot about graphics because I usually have never cared about the graphics in a game, sure, it's a cool bonus, but that's all it is, a bonus. I already stated I dislike Skyward Sword (I probably used hate, but I don't hate it) due to it's graphics. I just think the trees and Link look wrong in this enviroment, although I'll probably start to be neutral on the style when I get the game.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Well, we would have to wait before Skyward Sword comes out (or when they release a whole bunch of new material from the game) in order to find out that it could be ranked #1 of all time. Control wise, I could say that it is a possibility, but I can see the controls being frustrating at the beginning of the game to the old Zelda veterans that aren't so fond of games like Wii Sports Resort.

However, if you're thinking of a fanboy's point of view who is a veteran of the classics, most likely, their opinions would never leave Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past, seeing as to how some claim that Ocarina of Time was the Zelda with the first 3D visuals (However, A Link to the Past technically had some polygons in the scenes where the maidens are awakened) or A Link to the Past for setting up the modern Zelda. Fanboys can be rough, but critics can easily change their minds. Most critics enjoyed games like Ocarina of Time (seeing as to how it was Gamespot's first perfect review), but their minds quickly changed after seeing Super Mario Galaxy 2, which (although I haven't played it) seems to be more focused on gameplay, like what most Mario games have done.

Perhaps to the critics, Skyward Sword can be perfect upon release, but there are perhaps some fanboys that would shank someone if that person said that Skyward Sword was better than A Link to the Past. As I've read above, some people are also hating the game for it's visuals. See, those are the people that I don't like. I have a friend where he would prefer Halo 3 over some classic ColecoVision games over the fact of visuals, and that I don't appreciate. Wind Waker got a lot of bad rep when people first saw it, but when it came out, it had perhaps one of the darkest back stories (Nearly everybody dying in a flood) and very unique gameplay, massive overworld (that some have called dull), etc.

I think the biggest thing as to how players won't feel this may be a great game is because they're afraid of drastic change. They want to see occasional change so that way they don't get bored, but they then get uber mad when, for example, Twilight Princess had a graphics overhaul. However, aside from the graphics overhaul, Twilight Princess had good gameplay (Well, I've played the Wii version.), an interesting story, but too easy. So, in conclusion, I'm thinking this, to the players, may not have that high a chance of being ranked #1 of all time (seeing as to how even Super Mario Galaxy 2 (a game I have yet to play) beat Ocarina of Time on Metacritic) in the eyes of the fanboys; but if good enough, perhaps to the critics.

I really hope it's up there with those games. I'm a hardcore zelda fanboy, but I don't stick to OOT or LttP because they set the standards for zelda and 3d zelda. I like the game that was the best experience. My first zelda games where OOT, then Lttp, then LA. My favorite zelda games are Majora's Mask and Wind waker because they were the funnest ones. I love MM for the reason everyone else likes it and I keep coming back to Wind Waker. It's like I have to play and beat wind waker once ever 1-2 years :lol:. Anyways I'm going to get back on topic now

I really hope it gets atleast a 96%. Fanboys need to understand that ''place game here'' is better than OOT, personally oot is just another zelda game to me. LttP is great but people need to learn to stop giving in to nostalgia. If everyone picked their favorite game based on how fun and great and enjoyable it was then OOT wouldn't be the number one game, but maybe WW who knows. I think it would have a great chance to win, if not 100%. However, people who care about graphics and the fanboys make it nearly impossible for it to be number 1.

Cool topic anyways :)

Beeker

Wild Card
I voted 10-25%-It has a chance but doubting it will be.
I think it has a chance because it has a new way of playing:with the WiiMotionplus,controls are realistic and follow your movements. This has never been done in Zelda and could prove revolutionary if done right.

The problem is that gaming has changed dramatically in 12 years, since OoT came out. Back then, it was revolutionary to have a new 3D polygonal world. Compare it to games like today, and OoT looks outdated. But people still remember OoT and highly praise it because of its adventure.
Today, gamers are becoming more mature and technology is better. Games are easily criticized for having unrealistic looking graphics or lack of voice acting or muliplayer functions. Even if a game has great gameplay, these other things seem to bring it's score and reputation down.

And then there are the fans themselves. Majora16 is right when he says that the first game that many of us play becomes our favourite. It is the case with me for Twilight Princess. It has its flaws, sure, but it is my favourite game, and it is what drew me into the Legend of Zelda. Fans feel the same way, but for other games, like Link to the Past, Wind Waker and of course, Ocarina of Time. They feel that their favourite game is the best one in the series in most cases, it's their opinion, and they defend it closely.

With Skyward Sword's new controls and formula, it has the potential to be one of the best Zeldas ever, and perhaps the #1 ranked game. People just need to see these qualities.

I don't think it'll be the best because I think it'll cash in at least 70+ reviews.
ant games with a high ammount of reviews don't often make it to the top. (gamerankings.com)

People need to stop whining about graphics, and people need to stop saying OOT is better cause it was 3d blah blah blah. Who here agrees with me!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom