• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What is your least favorite shrine in BotW?

What is your least favorite type of shrine in BotW?

• Tests of Strength

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Apparatus-focused shrines (motion controls)

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Puzzle-focused shrines (other than Apparatus)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blessing shrines

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I have a very specific shrine that I hate, allow me to elaborate in my post

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
I'm currently doing another playthrough of BotW, and I found myself wondering what everyone's least favorite shrine, or type of shrine, is. I thought it might be neat to do a poll, too.
If you want to elaborate on why you hate any particular shrine/shrine type, please feel free to!
As for me, my least favorite types are the Apparatus-focused ones, because I mainly play in handheld mode, so I'm constantly either having to detach and reattach the joycons OR rotating the entire Switch every which way, to the point where I can't see the screen; to top it off, the motion controls ain't all that great, either (they're fine for aiming, but wildly imprecise for the fine-tuned motions often required to solve some of the puzzles). I can only imagine how much of a nightmare these shrines must be for people playing on Switch Lites.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I didn’t like shrines in general specifically because they always felt like I was doing a ton of effort for very little payoff. I pretty much dislike every shrine equally except for the blessing ones because at least with those they’re not making me bend over backwards for a measly spirit orb (though usually they made me do something else just to get there in the first place). If they ever actually acted like a replacement for an actual dungeon by giving me a new ability halfway through then maybe, but they don’t so I pretty much never went out of my way to do them outside of the one time I did all of them just because I somehow felt obligated to.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Any shrine that relies on motion controls. I've never found the gyro-based motion controls of the Wii Motion+ or the Switch to be precise enough for my tastes, so I didn't care for any of the shrines that focused on them in BotW.

I didn’t like shrines in general specifically because they always felt like I was doing a ton of effort for very little payoff. I pretty much dislike every shrine equally except for the blessing ones because at least with those they’re not making me bend over backwards for a measly spirit orb (though usually they made me do something else just to get there in the first place). If they ever actually acted like a replacement for an actual dungeon by giving me a new ability halfway through then maybe, but they don’t so I pretty much never went out of my way to do them outside of the one time I did all of them just because I somehow felt obligated to.

Isn't most of Zelda's reward system built around making you do a bunch of work for just another piece of heart or a bottle or a ****ing wallet upgrade?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Isn't most of Zelda's reward system built around making you do a bunch of work for just another piece of heart or a bottle or a ****ing wallet upgrade?
yes, but 95% of them require significantly less effort to obtain. It actually feels rewarding relative to the process because all you did was find it on a ledge somewhere, not complete an entire mini dungeon for it and only it. Most Zeldas have more than enough bigger rewards for more complex challenges anyway.

I’m not debating the wallet upgrades though, if theres one thing that I was glad BotW ditched it was that.

I don't remember them enough to single out which ones I hated but there were a couple with stasis launching that pissed me off.

Apart from that, I'm gonna complain about the two that require divine beast completion in order to do. I really don't care how simple the shrine quest is; them being locked behind divine beasts when the game is supposed to be open ended is dumb and the devs should feel dumb.

The general consensus I'm seeing is everyone hates the gyro puzzles and/or stasis golf, which honestly makes sense. I hated the stasis golf shrine so much that I forgot about it, apparently! I hope we won't have any puzzles like that in TotK. Please, Nintendo. I am begging.

Aside from the gyro ones, I wasn't a fan of The Skull's Eye(Zuna Kai) quest; I love the Shrine Quests in BotW, and I don't mind the blessing shrines for the most part since the challenge is in the overworld instead of the mini dungeon, but god damn that was too simple. Didn't even know that was a Shrine Quest at first.

Hylian Viking

A modern day Hyrule warrior mean mean stride.
The Mayam Agana Shrine. It honestly took me nearly 25 attempts to get that ball through the maze and fling the ball so it clears the gap and lands on the incline and goes into the hole. Honestly Nintendo we get it motion controls really futuristic, but please Nintendo when you combine motion controls with finicky gameplay it seems more like a chore than actual fun gameplay.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I don't remember the name but it had a **** ton of traps, rolling huge magnetic spiky ball and lava. I died thrice in there

The Mayam Agana Shrine. It honestly took me nearly 25 attempts to get that ball through the maze and fling the ball so it clears the gap and lands on the incline and goes into the hole. Honestly Nintendo we get it motion controls really futuristic, but please Nintendo when you combine motion controls with finicky gameplay it seems more like a chore than actual fun gameplay.
I only know which shrine this is because I went to Hateno Village so much to remember its name but in all four of my playthroughs I just flipped the whole thing upside down so I didnt have to do the maze lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom