• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC Discussion

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Well I’ll be damned. They actually look halfway decent now. Maybe the first wave was just a fluke.

I’m really surprised that they’re doing Waluigi Pinball so early. That and Coconut Mall are by far the 2 most popular tracks in the series, and Nintendo clearly knows this as they’ve used both of them as the focal point in the trailers for both respective packs. Thats not to say that there aren’t other popular tracks for them to use, but I really don’t think that a segmented release thing is gonna work out as well as they hope because no combination of 8 courses is gonna generate as much hype as they’d expect. This brings me to my next point:

I can’t help but wonder if Nintendo is trying to regain what they had during Ultimates DLC, without understanding why Ultimates DLC was so popular. I mean, I shouldn’t have to explain the comparison, right? The timing is very suspicious, being just a few months after the last fighter, and its obvious that they’re trying to hype up the audience with popular courses. All they need to do now is add a billion courses from JRPGs and fighting games while also acting like everyone should be happy with them.

Also, while remaking any non-rainbow road course from Super Mario Kart is lame in general, remaking Mario Circuit 3 when we already have a Donut Plains is especially lame.

Last edited:

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
lmao wasn’t expecting snow land of all tracks to return, super hyped to race on waluigi pinball, sky high sundae looks awesome, and sydney sprint sounds great

Well I’ll be damned. They actually look halfway decent now. Maybe the first wave was just a fluke.

I’m really surprised that they’re doing Waluigi Pinball so early. That and Coconut Mall are by far the 2 most popular tracks in the series, and Nintendo clearly knows this as they’ve used both of them as the focal point in the trailers for both respective packs. Thats not to say that there aren’t other popular tracks for them to use, but I really don’t think that a segmented release thing is gonna work out as well as they hope because no combination of 8 courses is gonna generate as much hype as they’d expect. This brings me to my next point:

I can’t help but wonder if Nintendo is trying to regain what they had during Ultimates DLC, without understanding why Ultimates DLC was so popular. I mean, I shouldn’t have to explain the comparison, right? The timing is very suspicious, being just a few months after the last fighter, and its obvious that they’re trying to hype up the audience with popular courses. All they need to do now is add a billion courses from JRPGs and fighting games while also acting like everyone should be happy with them.

Also, while remaking any non-rainbow road course from Super Mario Kart is lame in general, remaking Mario Circuit 3 when we already have a Donut Plains is especially lame.

There are definitely a few more very popular tracks left like 3DS Rainbow Road, Airship Fortress, and Daisy Cruiser, so I don't think Nintendo has blown their load quite yet.

As for Mario Circuit 3, this year is the 30th anniversary of the franchise, so having one of the original Mario Circuits makes sense to celebrate the anniversary.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
There are definitely a few more very popular tracks left like 3DS Rainbow Road, Airship Fortress, and Daisy Cruiser, so I don't think Nintendo has blown their load quite yet.

Well yeah, there are certainly more popular tracks, but none of them are nearly as popular as the 2 I mentioned.

As for Mario Circuit 3, this year is the 30th anniversary of the franchise, so having one of the original Mario Circuits makes sense to celebrate the anniversary.

Ok but, why Mario Circuit 3 specifically? If you really want to have another Super Mario Kart track why not one that isn’t already so similar to an already included track?

The prefix leak from a few months back accurately predicted what games the tracks in Wave 2 would come from:

So that would leave us with:

Rock Cup:

Tour
DS
GBA
3DS

Moon Cup:

Tour
GCN
Unlabeled
3DS

Fruit Cup:

Tour
Wii
DS
Unlabeled

Boomerang Cup:

Tour
GCN
GBA
Tour

Feather Cup:

Tour
Wii
GBA
Tour

Cherry Cup:

Tour
GCN
SNES
Unlabeled

Acorn Cup:

Tour
Wii
Unlabeled
Unlabeled

Spiny Cup:

Tour
GCN
Unlabeled
Wii

10 Tour, 2 3DS, 4 Wii, 2 DS, 4 GCN, 3 GBA, 0 N64, 1 SNES, 6 Unlabeled

thePlinko

ZD Legend
After playing them, yeah this is still just ok. Kalamari Desert had a really cool change made, Waluigi Pinball is as fun as always, and the city-based tour courses are pretty good too.

Sky High Sunday is… ok. The course layout is kinda boring, especially since there doesn’t seem to really be a reason for it to be a simple loop, unlike Baby Park and Excite Bike. Its an interesting idea for a course that just doesn’t go anywhere.

Mushroom Gorge was never my favorite course to begin with, and this doesn’t really change much

And then the other 2, being Mario Circuit 3 and Snow Land, are just bad. Boring layout, ugly as hell, kinda short, not even particularly well liked courses. This is why they really shouldn’t be remaking courses from Super and Super Circuit.

This is an upgrade from the last pack for sure, but its still not really enough for me to say that I’m satisfied. Honestly at this point I’d prefer it if they just gave us half the courses and just focused on making them better or giving us a new character. Dont even necessarily charge less for them either. 24 really good courses would’ve been plenty.

I will say though that the update to Coconut Mall was nice of them. Its rare that anyone at Nintendo actually listens to complaints so good for them.

New York Minute feels a little too walled in for my tastes, but it's nice to finally have a city track set at night, and it sure looks good.

Mario Circuit 3 is really bland, but it makes for some chaotic online fun.

Kalimari Desert is one of the best N64 tracks in the entire game. I love that they incorporated the original N64 layout for the first lap and Kalimari Desert 2 from Tour for laps 2 and 3. Driving through the train tunnel is amazing.

Waluigi Pinball is one of the best tracks ever made, and I am so happy to see it in HD at long last.

Sydney Sprint is the best city track so far. I love all the ramps and speed boosts plus driving through the opera house.

Snow Land got a massive glow-up. That penguin rink is so cute. I also like that little ramp shortcut at the end.

Mushroom Gorge is the best version yet. I love how it has the mushroom at the start like in Wii with the blue mushroom for gliding like in 7.

Sky-High Sundae is okay. I'm glad we finally have anti-gravity in the DLC, plus it's very colorful, but the lack of obstacles is a bit boring.

Wave 3 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass launches on December 7th! They've chosen some awesome tracks. 3DS Rainbow Road looks stunning. There are no Double Dash tracks in the first 3 waves, though. I hope that game gets more love in the back half of the DLC.

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
oh they moved waluigi stadium to the second half? dang I was looking forward to that but at least we get 3DS rock rock mountain and rainbow road this wave! also boo lake looks freaking amazing and the tour tracks look fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom