• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

Ok here's my newest hot take. 2d Zelda bosses are better then 3d. And except for Majora's Mask, 2d dungeons are better then 3d.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Ok here's my newest hot take. 2d Zelda bosses are better then 3d. And except for Majora's Mask, 2d dungeons are better then 3d.
You have a point about the dungeons, something about 2D dungeons is just super unique, but bosses? Naw. I've had a whole lot more fun with 3D bosses, whereas 2D bosses are just walk around spamming your sword and hope you get a lucky hit

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Im sure I’ve said this in this thread before but, theres close to nothing wrong with the official timeline, as nearly every game since Zelda 2 has clearly been made with how it connects to the rest of them in mind. The only exceptions are the Four Sword games/Minish Cap, and even they’re soft-referenced in PH.

Furthermore, Zelda’s lore is perfectly fine. Its not gonna win any awards, but just because its not as in depth and held together as the Silmarillion doesn’t mean that its bad.

Last edited:
You have a point about the dungeons, something about 2D dungeons is just super unique, but bosses? Naw. I've had a whole lot more fun with 3D bosses, whereas 2D bosses are just walk around spamming your sword and hope you get a lucky hit
For 2d dungeons I generally find them harder. I’m playing through oracle of ages and the dungeons are hard. I also found Link’s Awakening dungeons to be challenging. I really like Majorca’s Mask dungeons though because of the interesting ways to manipulate the structure.

As far as bosses, I definitely prefer 2d bosses mainly because they are tighter and actually require dodging. I hate how in the 3d games you can mostly just roll around the arena to avoid getting hit for 90% of the bosses.

Then think about Mothula from ALTTP. You’ve literally got tons of things flying at you that you just have to dodge. In the 2d games they can make simple combat feel interesting mostly by making it tight. Even other 2d games feel this way to me, think about Hollow Knight, even tho it’s 2d side scrolling, I really enjoyed how the bosses required good dodging to avoid, you really had to understand the bosses movements to avoid attacks and then find an opening to attack.

The only 3d boss I can think of that did that was thunderblight, but even then I still think the 2d games have overall better bosses.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Then think about Mothula from ALTTP. You’ve literally got tons of things flying at you that you just have to dodge. In the 2d games they can make simple combat feel interesting mostly by making it tight. Even other 2d games feel this way to me, think about Hollow Knight, even tho it’s 2d side scrolling, I really enjoyed how the bosses required good dodging to avoid, you really had to understand the bosses movements to avoid attacks and then find an opening to attack.
literally my biggest complaint with hollow knight boss fights is that team cherry's interpretation of difficulty is "how many objects are on the screen at once" multiplied by "how fast do the objects move"
there are so many ways to make fights challenging turning everything into a bullet hell just makes me cry as an ADD gamer

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
???
They literally double the amount of crap on your screen to make it harder rofl

I think sisters of battle have the increased movement speed as well
Yes, it is about adding more obstacles and increasing speed. The thing I love about that though is it isn't just a cheap way of making it more difficult. It's almost like a dance. You get destroyed by the speed the first time, and then you slowly start to learn the moves to dodge and when to attack. When more obstacles get added and the attacks get faster, you get better and the dance speeds up. It's a very satisfying battle style which may seem simple or frustrating at first but makes you feel accomplished when it's all over. I actually feel like some Zelda boss battles follow this basic principle, where you can only damage them in a certain way and each time you do so they make it more difficult. Sometimes though, it can make boss battles feel slow. I think a blend of the simple hollow knight speed battles and the Zelda item based battles would be really cool.

I agree with this a lot. 2d bosses just destroy me lol it's hard to maneuver well with a plus pad.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yes, it is about adding more obstacles and increasing speed. The thing I love about that though is it isn't just a cheap way of making it more difficult. It's almost like a dance. You get destroyed by the speed the first time, and then you slowly start to learn the moves to dodge and when to attack. When more obstacles get added and the attacks get faster, you get better and the dance speeds up. It's a very satisfying battle style which may seem simple or frustrating at first but makes you feel accomplished when it's all over. I actually feel like some Zelda boss battles follow this basic principle, where you can only damage them in a certain way and each time you do so they make it more difficult. Sometimes though, it can make boss battles feel slow. I think a blend of the simple hollow knight speed battles and the Zelda item based battles would be really cool.
it gets repetitive in hollow knight

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
???

I think sisters of battle have the increased movement speed as well
Okay but there’s many ways to make that movement speed easier. Sharp shadow is a great example. Traitor Lord is an annoying pain but charms like that making dodging easier because you can go through the attacks with the shadow cloak and the charm improves on it

I’d you keep getting attacked use the torn charm to take less damage

And bosses like Hornet and Broken Vessel give you a good amount of breathing room while still being a good challenge

Most bosses have a pattern and you just have to figure it out. I love Marmu as a boss once I figured out his pattern because you can just smack him around like a beach ball and it’s great, and Grimm Troupe because he’s wild fun and a tough fight and I hated him at first, along with God Tamer. They have a few movements, you find out the pattern, what charms to use, and it’s pretty safe from there

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Just like everthing around here, this thread became a Hollow Knight discussion
For 2d dungeons I generally find them harder. I’m playing through oracle of ages and the dungeons are hard. I also found Link’s Awakening dungeons to be challenging. I really like Majorca’s Mask dungeons though because of the interesting ways to manipulate the structure.

As far as bosses, I definitely prefer 2d bosses mainly because they are tighter and actually require dodging. I hate how in the 3d games you can mostly just roll around the arena to avoid getting hit for 90% of the bosses.

The only 3d boss I can think of that did that was thunderblight, but even then I still think the 2d games have overall better bosses.
The challenge is what makes a dungeon good tbh, I like it when you have to wander around a bit and throw random stuff at random spots to see if something sticks, I don't like it when dungeons go room by room. Some good examples of a dungeon with good backtracking is Dragon Roost in Wind Waker and the Forest Temple in Twilight Princess, you have to know your way around the dungeon to really beat it instead of just solving the puzzle in the room before moving on.

As for the bosses, I'm gonna completely contradict what I just said and say that I HATE when bosses are throwing a bunch of stuff at you. You chose a horrible example in Mothula, I HATED that boss. Like Oocoo said, it's like a dance, you have to time your attacks and such and it's stupid when you have to dodge a thousand things
I looove TP’s Lakebed Temple. I think a lot of people tend to dislike it because moving the staircases can get confusing and whatnot.
Yes!!! Like I just said, just because it's confusing or hard doesn't mean it's bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom