• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread ExLight's Custom Role Mafia - ENDGAME [TOWN WINS]

Like it probably isn't based on how you've posted thus far, but like... word choice and tone are huge components of many people's reads, so I am having cognitive dissonance reading your post about it being text based.

Yeah Mafia has the advantage of talking outside the thread. But not everyone needs to be on equal footing if it doesn't benefit everyone to be. Town can be in the dark from the workings of other town as long as it also keeps mafia in the dark. As long as town isn't lying, then them having their own info/reasons for doing something then not everyone needs to be privy.

It's scummy because it gives the appearance of actually doing something while not actually doing something. Like yeah there's discussion, but how does it help to find scum? Speculating is fine if it's about the scum motives behind what KoD did. But if you're speculating on all the town reasons he did it then you're giving scum that info and possibly outing a townie's plan to them. For example, some people do things as reaction tests. If people speculate about why the person did that certain thing and the speculation is that it's a reaction test, then it basically nullifies the test and lets people know to not react to it/change their reaction to it. Which is scummy because only scum has something to hide there. Town's reactions should be genuine and have nothing to hide.
I think I get where you're coming from, but I still disagree. It doesn't keep mafia in the dark. It just means we don't know whether or not they are in the dark. Discussing things in thread might give mafia ideas, but it also lets the planner know that those ideas are being considered. And discussion about a reaction test is still a reaction to that test.

I don't know if it's necessarily more important for one team over the other (besides like obviously it's more important for town of you're town and scum if you're scum and the items are more beneficial to your alignment). But as for why an alignment might not want to buy an item, maybe scum wants to save their money because they're at the numbers disadvantage so it gives them a chance at a second way to win. There are layers to something like this other than just having abilities.
Buying something does 2 things: give you an advantage, and stop the other team from gaining an advantage. One team might get more advantage out of an item than the other, which means the benefit in the other team stopping them is higher. It equalizes. I think mafia generally have a higher absolute advantage in buying items, because they know how to not hit their teammates, but that makes it more important for town to stop them from doing that.

All that said, I plan to buy every item from now on, and let people know what I bought, even if I don't have enough actions to use them.

This is because not using an item is is as much a comparative advantage for town as mafia using an item. Ideally, this will also make mafia act quickly to grab items before discussing them.

I am kind of confused (or more accurately, i start feeling dizzy?) when thinking about this money function. It seems like it’s better to hold your money? If everyone starts with 1000 and everyone with the highest amount ties, then just holding the money and not buying anything should mean everyone wins, right??

Though, now that somebody has bought something, that definitely does not seem that it will be the case ^^;;
That's an interesting idea. Alternatively, if we only kill people who haven't spent any money yet, it should be possible for them to win anyways.

I'm sure ex has thrown in some trick or something, so people can get more than $1000 and make those people lose.

Why do you believe they do not want their role outed?
I suspect that, not believe it. It's a good reason to buy something like that.

Mint Elv

Fish!
@Mint Elv I dunno about lie detectors but the player just needs to say if they are town or not to be able to check them though.
I know lie detectors can tell if a statement is true or false. On my home site I don’t often see people saying “I’m town.” Upon entering the thread. So I was wondering if lie detector was common here that I see so many doing it.
Is this your first time playing forum mafia?
No. I’ve played on a different site. I do know that different sites have a different things that are common. I apologize if I ask too many questions trying to understand what is commonplace here.
Like it probably isn't based on how you've posted thus far, but like... word choice and tone are huge components of many people's reads, so I am having cognitive dissonance reading your post about it being text based.
Can you elaborate a bit? I’m not really sure what about my posts or tones makes you believe I’m mafia.

Can you elaborate a bit? I’m not really sure what about my posts or tones makes you believe I’m mafia.

I'm not voting you based on tone. My comment about tone was to the fact that your follow-up to me implied that you didn't thing HOW people say things matters.

I'm voting you because of the cognitive dissonance due to this apparent misunderstanding between us made me wonder about your intentions. You made a big post, and it seems you went out of your way to make sure to reply to at least one quote from every person who has posted thus far. You made one easy read, but otherwise this big post is full of fluff and soft questions.

Was the point of that big post to push the game forward, or were you just trying to establish yourself in the thread as "townie" by making a big post and making sure everyone was pinged? I'm leaning towards the latter right now because it seems artificial to make a point to quote every person even though your questions has little bite, and your follow-up to my response to your question did not suggest you were carefully considering me, or even were concerned with the answer I would give to your original question.

Mint Elv

Fish!
I'm voting you because of the cognitive dissonance due to this apparent misunderstanding between us made me wonder about your intentions. You made a big post, and it seems you went out of your way to make sure to reply to at least one quote from every person who has posted thus far. You made one easy read, but otherwise this big post is full of fluff and soft questions.
That’s a lot of big words. I have not made any reads. It’s day one. I’m working on gathering information and understanding others. Your post is quite wordy which seems more like fluff than me just asking questions.
Was the point of that big post to push the game forward, or were you just trying to establish yourself in the thread as "townie" by making a big post and making sure everyone was pinged? I'm leaning towards the latter right now because it seems artificial to make a point to quote every person even though your questions has little bite, and your follow-up to my response to your question did not suggest you were carefully considering me, or even were concerned with the answer I would give to your original question.
I wasn’t questioning everyone intentionally. Just responding to what i found interesting or wanted to see elaboration on.

From what I understand from your responses to em is that it is scummy to ask questions that are not “are you town”. Good to know, but I have no intention of not asking questions and pushing for elaboration. The more people talk the more likely mafia is to slip up. Sitting quietly will not get answers. Responding here and there to one or two people will not get answers.

Only mafia knows mafia so if I do not talk to everyone then how will I find them?

I can see we have differing opinions on pushing, so I will note that for the mafia. Thank you :)

That’s a lot of big words. I have not made any reads. It’s day one. I’m working on gathering information and understanding others. Your post is quite wordy which seems more like fluff than me just asking questions.

You did out a read on DW.

Nothing about my post is fluff, please try again. Fluff is non-game-related talk. I am clearly talking about your post and how I believe it relates to your alignment, which is the opposite of fluff.

I wasn’t questioning everyone intentionally. Just responding to what i found interesting or wanted to see elaboration on.
I don't believe you, sorry.

From what I understand from your responses to em is that it is scummy to ask questions that are not “are you town”. Good to know, but I have no intention of not asking questions and pushing for elaboration. The more people talk the more likely mafia is to slip up. Sitting quietly will not get answers. Responding here and there to one or two people will not get answers.
That isn't what I said at all, please try again. Your questions were all softballs, and the way you responded to my answer to your question made me think your question to me was not at all about discerning my alignment.

If you have an issue with me asking someone "are you town?", you are free to vote me/push me over it. I think instead you're just bringing it up here to try to get me off your case, which isn't going to work.

Okay, yeah fudge it. Nobody's posting so I'm bored.

Vote:Unvote

Vote:Exlight

Vote:hammer

my vote is still on Mint in spirit, but the OP clearly states we can vote Exlight, and like... how much are we going to regret not doing it if we don't do it? I don't want to be falling asleep at 2am four years from now and have a midnight mild anxiety attack thinking back on this moment and regretting not hammering the host... What would my life have been like if I just hammered Ex? Would I have gotten that promotion? Would my ex (pun intended) and I have worked things out? Would it have prevented World War III? These are not things I want to ponder in 4 years at 2am, feel me?

I find it interesting that given the anonymous nature of purchasing that nobody has floated the notion that KoD could simply have lied about buying the thing. Further this creates a flaw in the "let's make town spend out so scum can win" plan by removing accountability on actual spending. The only verification we would have is the item simply not being bought but unknown elements might wrench that to begin with. Let's say PK is a 3p that wins as long as he has the most stuff (example formulated upon their assertion of buying all the things). If they are snatching up all the items before anyone else can/is forced to, our accountability is gone. Likewise there may be roles that just straight mug money from people. The plan on a whole just isn't controllable enough to be a realistic strategy, imo.

I got up early for inventory today I have no more thoughts at this time.

I find it interesting that given the anonymous nature of purchasing that nobody has floated the notion that KoD could simply have lied about buying the thing. Further this creates a flaw in the "let's make town spend out so scum can win" plan by removing accountability on actual spending. The only verification we would have is the item simply not being bought but unknown elements might wrench that to begin with. Let's say PK is a 3p that wins as long as he has the most stuff (example formulated upon their assertion of buying all the things). If they are snatching up all the items before anyone else can/is forced to, our accountability is gone. Likewise there may be roles that just straight mug money from people. The plan on a whole just isn't controllable enough to be a realistic strategy, imo.

I got up early for inventory today I have no more thoughts at this time.

Shh... you're not supposed to tell the scummy who falls for it that.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
good morning friends

All I hear from this is that my actions were at worse NAI to you, so I'm not sure why I'm still being hounded? (:

i think this is from another game and just got left over in my multiquote

The game has finally started!! Yay!!

I am kind of confused (or more accurately, i start feeling dizzy?) when thinking about this money function. It seems like it’s better to hold your money? If everyone starts with 1000 and everyone with the highest amount ties, then just holding the money and not buying anything should mean everyone wins, right??

Though, now that somebody has bought something, that definitely does not seem that it will be the case ^^;;

there will probably be other mechanics that can cause money to move between people (ie: the gambler might be able to force people to gamble with them and cause them to lose/gain money that way) so such a strategy won't be safe. We'll have more information about what abilities might interact with money going into day 2 though, assuming players can see their own money at all times.

Hi everybody! Let's get this game started~

nice avatar

Has this happened in multiple games on here?

in my experience lurkers on this site and on others have a tendency to stay alive longer than active posters. In the last few games I've played here the end-game has been mostly active players though, just because there hasn't been a lot of lurkers.

I know lie detectors can tell if a statement is true or false. On my home site I don’t often see people saying “I’m town.” Upon entering the thread. So I was wondering if lie detector was common here that I see so many doing it.

lie detectors aren't common here

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
The bribery strategy is a pretty interesting concept but its probably not something that will be workable until we know more about how money will move and the mafia can feel relatively secure in betraying their team mates. I'm guessing it still won't work out since it requires some trust and most players would feel guilty about playing that way but its a fun idea and I think we should keep it in mind as we learn more about the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom