• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where is Donkey Kong??

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Last year, Donkey Kong celebrated his 40th anniversary without so much as a nod from Nintendo. This is really, really weird considering DK is basically the foundation upon which Ninty was built, and 40 is a pretty big number. In fact, they haven't been giving our favorite ape much love in general. The last DK game to come out was Tropical Freeze, and if I recall correctly that first came out on the wii u. I mean, one could say the same about other series such as metroid- at least until Dread came out- and even before then they had a trailer for Metroid Prime 4. Donkey Kong has nothing. With the NSO membership + they adden N64 games and haven't even confirmed when or if DK64 is coming to it (and I know a lot of people want that game). What is Nintendo's deal? It seems as though they're just ignoring Donkey Kong but I don't see why they would. Does anyone think we're getting a new game anytime soon?

I really liked Donkey Kong Country Returns and loved Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I was hoping Retro would complete a trilogy, but that's probably not happening now since they've been put on Metroid Prime 4 instead. There were those rumors last year about the Odyssey team working on a DK game, but that never materialized either.

With 2022 being as stacked for Switch software as it is, I have a hard time seeing a DK game of any kind releasing this year. A platformer seems especially unlikely since Kirby and the Fogotten Land is the big Nintendo platformer for this year. Next year at earliest. I'd definitely love to see a new DK game, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority for Nintendo.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I have no doubts we'll get a new Donkey Kong game at some point, even if it'll be a few years, but yeah Nintendo really likes to cherry pick which anniversaries they want to highlight

I also definitely believe DK64 will come to NSO eventually, frankly the game that I wonder more about is Diddy Kong Racing since unlike DK64, Racing didn't come to the Wii U virtual console

MW7

I feel like DK64 has a good chance of being added to NSO, and I really would like it to be added. As far as a new game I don't think we have any hints as to when or what to expect. This franchise definitely isn't a top priority for Nintendo.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
He's in the jungle... The mighty jungle...

Deu deu deu deu, deu deu deu deu deu awwii abawmba yeee!

But seriously, Donkey Kong is one of those Nintendo franchises that they only really work on when they've got an idea they'd think make a good game. Sorta the same deal as with Pikmin and StarFox

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Nintendo is super inconsistent with Donkey Kong. They revealed Donkey Kong Country Returns back in 2010 without there ever being any hint prior that a DK game was in development. I feel like the next time we hear about DK, it'll be a similar situation, random full trailer drop in a Direct and then a release date is given, but I don't imagine it being anytime soon, certainly not this year.

As for Donkey Kong 64 getting onto Switch Online, I think the hiccup there comes from it being a Rare game, however they did get Banjo on the service a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom