• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Eye Door + Sword Circle = Stupid

M

majoraskullkid

I totally agree with FebruaryEve and SkywardSword. Also, it is a nice little puzzle that would have stuck me for a little while if they didn't show it in the trailer. It's a new style of puzzle and it looks fresh and innovative in its own way.

SS depends heavily upon motion plus, so it's not really surprising to see puzzles that support that. In fact, Nintendo needs new ideas like the eye-door that make us think differently than what we're used to. The only thing I don't want to happen is knowing what to do within seconds of seeing the puzzle (for example, seeing a cracked wall. Obvious answer: bomb it). If I hadn't seen the video for SS, I prolly wouldn't have known that moving the sword in circles would defeat it. I like to think when I play games. :)

I think a couple times would be alright but not all the time. Anyway, I thought using the stylus for every little tiny thing in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks was more gimmicky. They are still good games, but they would have been better if you didn't have to use the stylus all the time, at least not for movement ad attacking. Anyway, its okay with me if it doesn't happen constantly throughout the game. Once or twice would be enough.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
I doubt it will show up in the game. If it does, the only thing to be worried about is slowly circling your sword for two seconds and have the eyeball start spinning like you where circling your sword at 25MPH for 5 seconds.
I think you are using the word gimmick as if it were some method to show off something that doesn't need to be shown off.... It's hard to explain :P

Anemos

Master of Chaos
Your point? Motion control in itself is a gimmick. A Touch Screen is a gimmick. A rumble feature in a controller is a gimmick. Hell, HD is even a gimmick.

"...But this morning, let me adjust that prospective just a little bit. Because technology is only a tool. The end product, the thing that does matter, is the experience. And the best experiences always come when technology and game design are perfectly matched." - Reggie Fils-Aime at the E3 conference

It could be a reference to the Eye enemies in Super Mario 64. If you've played the game, and were able to defeat this enemy, then you know that the only way to defeat it was to run around it in circles to confuse it.
Nintendo almost always makes games with the enemy's weakness being the eye.

I think Mr. Miyamoto got poked in the eye when he was young, and that influenced the games.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
And? You're point is?

It's just a small gimmick. It's not like it's actually going to be in the game! Nintendo created something creative and new and we always want that, but if you just rant around about new ideas that you don't like, well, what can you do about it? Not play the game? Not rant about it here? Make Nintendo make another small gimmick that'll make you will also hate?

My point is that it's not like it's going to be in the game and it's something new to solve. We use the new controls to solve it and it'll be pretty cool. I mean, I don't mind circling my arm around to confuse an eyeball attached to a door we can all move at least one of our arms... right?

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
And? You're point is?

It's just a small gimmick. It's not like it's actually going to be in the game! Nintendo created something creative and new and we always want that, but if you just rant around about new ideas that you don't like, well, what can you do about it? Not play the game? Not rant about it here? Make Nintendo make another small gimmick that'll make you will also hate?

My point is that it's not like it's going to be in the game and it's something new to solve. We use the new controls to solve it and it'll be pretty cool. I mean, I don't mind circling my arm around to confuse an eyeball attached to a door we can all move at least one of our arms... right?

My point is my point. This little circle your sword thing is boring, not very creative, and kinda gimmicky.

People, stop pretending like you don't know what is meant when someone says gimmicky. It means the use of some new thing or idea just to get attention or just because it is new. It means that this is unnatural.

I am not complaining because they "did something new"...most of the new things they are doing I love: the use of the motion controls for the sword, the whip, the bombs, the bow. The direction the art style is going in. All new. All great.

But this "puzzle" is just a goofy little thing they did because you can use motion plus, not because it fits naturally into the game or because it adds to the realism. Would an eye look at your sword naturally? No. What next, drawing with your sword?

Sure, it is a small thing. But considering that they only showed us a few things in the game, and this is the type of thing they decided to show off, it worries me. Because as far as puzzles go, this is lame.

MoblinPiglet

Prince of Moblins
My point is my point. This little circle your sword thing is boring, not very creative, and kinda gimmicky.

People, stop pretending like you don't know what is meant when someone says gimmicky. It means the use of some new thing or idea just to get attention or just because it is new. It means that this is unnatural.

I am not complaining because they "did something new"...most of the new things they are doing I love: the use of the motion controls for the sword, the whip, the bombs, the bow. The direction the art style is going in. All new. All great.

But this "puzzle" is just a goofy little thing they did because you can use motion plus, not because it fits naturally into the game or because it adds to the realism. Would an eye look at your sword naturally? No. What next, drawing with your sword?

Sure, it is a small thing. But considering that they only showed us a few things in the game, and this is the type of thing they decided to show off, it worries me. Because as far as puzzles go, this is lame.

Jupiter, stop complaining its just some little new thing they added, it's not something to all of a sudden complain about, me myself am not that interested in the door thing to and totally agree that a eyeball that suddenly looks at your sword is stupid, but you don't have to go crazy all about this. Just chill cause complaining on a stupid little thing like that is a disappointment to a new game that looks cool with new stuff like having control over your sword and shield is more worth talking about then about the eyeball door.

Just chill Jupiter and look the good parts of the game.

I also agree with Y2K3 on this. But seriously, when something new is introduced, it always seems to be a gimmick. Why can't this just be accepted as a puzzle( which pretty much is what it is)? I'll accept new things openly.

But now that we know how to beat the puzzle, It won't be a puzzle anymore, at least for us.

If it appears in the final version of the game, we would already know what to do, so it would be stupid for us.
If we didn't know anything about it, everyone has to admit that would be a very creative puzzle and I can say that I coul spent some hours without figuring it out.

I agree with Aultimaespada. If I had not watched the trailer, I'd be whipping his eye for hours. Even though it is funny (XD!!!) it would still stump me. As such, it is a perfect puzzle! It challenges your mind well. It is what I have been wanting. A harder way to open the door than just putting a key into it. Slowly make sure that your hand is in the right place and make it dizzy. Also, I reread this topic on a sycologic stage and noticed that they are looking for something to complain about. And the only thing they can find is the door puzzle. (They can not find anything else because it is a great game. =P) And some people like the idea of the door, so they defend it and look for something else to complain about like the scorpian boss or the landscape. I'm just glad nobody complained about the Deku Scrubs/Octoroks.

Well apparently the area in the E3 demo will not be in the final game anyway. The demo was made to show off the controls, so don't be surprised if it doesn't appear in the game anyway. But you must admit that it was a good way to show that 1:1 sword movements worked with the MotionPlus.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Jupiter, stop complaining its just some little new thing they added, it's not something to all of a sudden complain about, me myself am not that interested in the door thing to and totally agree that a eyeball that suddenly looks at your sword is stupid, but you don't have to go crazy all about this. Just chill cause complaining on a stupid little thing like that is a disappointment to a new game that looks cool with new stuff like having control over your sword and shield is more worth talking about then about the eyeball door.

Just chill Jupiter and look the good parts of the game.

This pisses me off. I'm not "going crazy" I am just pointing out something that I don't like. Since when is it not OK to do that? Disagree with me all like. But don't tell me to shut up.

I totally agree there is much more awesome in SS than there is to complain about, and I have made lots of posts in these forums talking about it. But now is the time to voice our concerns, before the game is finished and while Nintendo still has time to make changes. I don't like the eyedoor and am explaining why and responding to people who bring up counterpoints. Fair?

Jesus H. Make any comment criticizing Zelda on these forums and people wig out. Look, I complained about this stupid gimmick and the way that the trees look (they look awful), but I like everything else I saw in the trailers.

I love the general idea for the art style. I love, love, love the way the motion controls are used for all of the weapons. I love the new whip (new for a console Zelda) and the beetle. I think that the scorpion boss looks super cool. I think that the way you need to think about the direction you swing your sward when fighting enemies is fantastic. I love the concept of Link coming from an land in the sky and having a troubled world beneath him. Think the title Skyward Sword is an excellent choice. I think this game is going to be great.

Ok? Happy? Do I get to express my opinions again without being told by you to shut up? Don't tell me to "just look for the good parts"...why would I do that? I am going to look at the good and the bad and express my honest opinions. Fair? Yeeesh.

Yeah, we can all get defensive over the zelda series, we all grew up with it, well most of us, it's part of us in a big way, and we all have our oppinions on how it should play. I agree that I think it's a sweet puzzle and it would get me stuck for a bit, which is exactly what I want in the new zelda, but Jupiter has his point that it's gimmicky and stupid. I know he would be concerned that this is the ONLY puzzle they've shown at E3, but I think they just wanted to give us a taste on how motion plus works, and that puzzle works great for what they are trying to portray. But Jupiter has a point...

I'm sure they will have it once in the game, no more, but maybe a variation of it? I know they will have tons of new puzzles and ideas, so nobody should be concerned, its just ONE puzzle in the entire game. Anyways, I agree that it is a little bit silly, but I like silly in zelda so that doesn't bother me. Jupiter has his oppinions, and this thread is about oppinions, so just have an open mind, and chillz.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom