• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Eye Door + Sword Circle = Stupid

Beeker

Wild Card
I also agree with Y2K3 on this. But seriously, when something new is introduced, it always seems to be a gimmick. Why can't this just be accepted as a puzzle( which pretty much is what it is)? I'll accept new things openly.

Rofang

Person
Is it such a bad thing if one or two people online think one detail in the game seems gimmicky? Not everyone will like every detail of the game. It shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game, right?

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
What, would you rather have the eye shoot laser beams at you that kill you instantly? You know, in Zelda games, there are these things called 'puzzles'. They're certain things that the player has to figure out in order to advance through the game. This is what we call a 'puzzle'.

Thank you for teaching us Zelda 101. I am all for puzzles, but this is kind of a goofy one, imo. Not very difficult, and kind of unnatural. I just hope that they think of some better ideas as the game goes on...I am sure they will.

Well, not to speak for Jupiter, but personally, when I thought the door-dizzying felt gimmicky, it was in the sense that it seemed less like something that makes sense to encounter in a Zelda world and more like a demo for Motion Plus. Of course, it's hardly surprising that the designers would want to show off new uses for the controls, but this particular example just didn't strike me as natural (as opposed to, say, swordplay). Is an eyeball obsessed with watching swords something you'd have expected to see if Motion Plus weren't in the picture? It isn't to me. But oh well.

This is very well put Rofang. The problem I have with this, and the thing that makes it particularly "gimmicky" is that this is something that they clearly made up just to use Motion+...whereas sword fighting and attaching enemies at different angles and rolling bombs and lashing the whip all feel like things that we would have wanted to do anyway, and so Motion+ was invented for them.

Your point? Motion control in itself is a gimmick. A Touch Screen is a gimmick. A rumble feature in a controller is a gimmick. Hell, HD is even a gimmick. If it were up to you then I suppose all of our consoles wouldn't do anything, now would they?

I don't mean to be well, mean, but I will be blatant. There are little things that I hate more then people calling something a gimmick. That is a feature of the console and the game. They just want to show it off in a nice simple way. I could argue that using the sword 1:1 is a gimmick, and that it is slow and uninteresting and that I don't like it. That would be bad. This is a tiny little puzzle-like thing that may or may not even show up in the final game. I could say that lighting a torch on fire is slow and uninteresting and boring, couldn't I?

I think it's completely outrageous to call out a game for MAYBE two seconds worth of something that you didn't like. And your reason for not liking it is not very good either. It's the same thing as attacking an enemy. You swing your sword around. Slow? It takes two seconds. Boring? The combat looks fairly boring as it is. This isn't much of a change.

Well, ok now, sure you could call a lot of things gimmicky...my point is that this particular thing feels artificial and tacked on. Sure, I guess you could call using Motion+ to swing your sward at all a gimmick, but that seems natural. It seems like good design. This feels to me like "oh, see how much motion we can put in our games!" "And look it can make French fries too!" I don't know, it just feels dumb.

Why do I care about a few seconds of footage?? Well, because of all the things they could have shown us, they decided to include this. Because it is a few seconds out of 90 seconds, which is a pretty big percentage--will there be a lot of motion control gimmicks? Will we be painting fences with Motion+? It bothers me that they had a chance to show us the best, most exciting, most interesting things they have come up in this trailer and this lame little circle your sword trick is what they came up with. It makes me wonder.

(FWIW, I really think the other uses of motion plus look killer. I think the combat looks fun, exciting, challenging, and natural. All the weapons look distinct and fun.)

Last edited:

Rofang

Person
I'd like it noted that I agree with most of the factual points Jupiter brings up, but not necessarily the tone. ;)

Epwna

The epic turnip king
Let me sum it up quickly. This thread=Opinion driven.

Also, I think it's a good idea. Name one puzzle that involved the sword in previous Zelda games. I know the Watchdoor is an enemy, but it seems puzzly enough.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Your point? Motion control in itself is a gimmick. A Touch Screen is a gimmick. A rumble feature in a controller is a gimmick. Hell, HD is even a gimmick. If it were up to you then I suppose all of our consoles wouldn't do anything, now would they?

I don't mean to be well, mean, but I will be blatant. There are little things that I hate more then people calling something a gimmick. That is a feature of the console and the game. They just want to show it off in a nice simple way. I could argue that using the sword 1:1 is a gimmick, and that it is slow and uninteresting and that I don't like it. That would be bad. This is a tiny little puzzle-like thing that may or may not even show up in the final game. I could say that lighting a torch on fire is slow and uninteresting and boring, couldn't I?

I think it's completely outrageous to call out a game for MAYBE two seconds worth of something that you didn't like. And your reason for not liking it is not very good either. It's the same thing as attacking an enemy. You swing your sword around. Slow? It takes two seconds. Boring? The combat looks fairly boring as it is. This isn't much of a change.

I'm just really starting to get angry so I will leave now. Bottom line, no. I do not think that is stupid or a gimmick. It is just game play. And sorry if I am coming off as rude (if you did in fact bother to read the whole post), but I just don't like this. Again, I apologize in advance and I hope there are no hard feelings.
What Kazumi just said. The Eye Door isn't stupid, it is somewhat innovative. Sure, it kinda appeared in Super Mario Sunshine and other Nintendo titles in some way or another, but this time is to show that Motion Controls are actually working well, and Nintendo may/may not slap an Eye Door on your face to prove it. Don't worry about the small things, take a look at the bigger picture.

my opinion is mixed. first, how do you know that this will be used a lot? we have seen it used once. it could just as well be a one time thing for a temple.
if that is the only thing they do with that core idea, then it will make for a boring and repetitive gimmick. if the same concept, using the sword to distract things, is used creatively in different ways e.g. dizzying enemies, then it could be a cool and creative way to freshen a temple.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
It's just one cute little puzzle in the midst of a huge and innovative game. To complain about something so trivial isn't necessary.

Also, if I were designing a game that featured ground-breaking technology like this, I'd probably throw in something like that just to be like "Hey, look at we can do!" Most games of this nature tend to have something show-offy like that. No big deal, though, it's not going to ruin or drastically change the overall gameplay (which looks awesome so far, might I add).

If I didn't see this I would have been stuck on the puzzle for a while cuz I'm not used to thinking like that. Which is refreshing, cuz I know most of nintendos puzzles, its just a little bit different in every game. Wii motion plus adds a new element to think over, it makes the puzzles less obvious, and I like that. I thought it was pretty awesome. Hopefully I see more puzzles like that.

L

Lilcross

Fail post is fail. Your getting mad over a fun, harmless little gimmick? Pfft. Vent your rage on something else.

S

SkywardSword

I think it is a cool idea. There could be a dungeon puzzle like this:

Entrance to dungeon: You see a sign that shows a sword and an 8. Hmm, I'll remember that.

Middle of dungeon: You see a watchdoor. You try the circle dizzying trick. It doesn't work. Then you get a brain wave. You make your sword go in a figure 8, and the eye becomes dizzy.

It takes about 1 minute to do, but its a puzzle. I would be sitting there for hours, not knowing what to do, because thats what happens to me in Zelda games ><

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Is an eyeball obsessed with watching swords something you'd have expected to see if Motion Plus weren't in the picture? It isn't to me. But oh well.

To each his own, I suppose. I thought a "watch door" was an interesting new method of guarding against intruders. Kind of like the magical equivalent of a video camera. I expect that it will have quick reflexes so that it can close before you strike it, and that's why you have to dizzy it up. Of course, that's a conscious decision by the game makers, so it can be criticized as a bad one, but I don't see it personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom