• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Eye Door + Sword Circle = Stupid

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Ok, I hate to gripe, because all-in-all, I am really excited for Skyward Sword, but, is it just me or is that thing they showed at E3 and in the trailer with the door with the eye on it that Link has to "confuse" by circling his sword around it really lame or what?

It just seems like some stupid gimmicky motion control thing that is thrown in there just because they are using motion controls. Ug! It really bothers me.

Now, I am all for motion controls! If they are used well...and for the most part SS looks like they are using them well: sword, whip, bow, bombs, etc. But this type of funky junk with the eye door just does not look fun to me at all. It is not challenging or clever. It is not creative. It does not look fun.

It looks slow, boring, un-interesting, and stupid.

I really hope there is not a lot of BS like this in the game.

Rofang

Person
My initial thoughts were likewise: dizzying the eye door was gimmicky and dumb. I'm mostly over it now; I tend not to think it will detract enormously from my enjoyment of the game.

Kazumi

chagy
Your point? Motion control in itself is a gimmick. A Touch Screen is a gimmick. A rumble feature in a controller is a gimmick. Hell, HD is even a gimmick. If it were up to you then I suppose all of our consoles wouldn't do anything, now would they?

I don't mean to be well, mean, but I will be blatant. There are little things that I hate more then people calling something a gimmick. That is a feature of the console and the game. They just want to show it off in a nice simple way. I could argue that using the sword 1:1 is a gimmick, and that it is slow and uninteresting and that I don't like it. That would be bad. This is a tiny little puzzle-like thing that may or may not even show up in the final game. I could say that lighting a torch on fire is slow and uninteresting and boring, couldn't I?

I think it's completely outrageous to call out a game for MAYBE two seconds worth of something that you didn't like. And your reason for not liking it is not very good either. It's the same thing as attacking an enemy. You swing your sword around. Slow? It takes two seconds. Boring? The combat looks fairly boring as it is. This isn't much of a change.

I'm just really starting to get angry so I will leave now. Bottom line, no. I do not think that is stupid or a gimmick. It is just game play. And sorry if I am coming off as rude (if you did in fact bother to read the whole post), but I just don't like this. Again, I apologize in advance and I hope there are no hard feelings.

The way I see it, there are two ways to look at this:

1. Like you said, it could serve as a gimmicky motion control thing that is thrown in there, or
2. The way I see it, personally, is as a sort of Easter egg. How? Well, this idea was certainly used before in a past Nintendo game. It could be a reference to the Eye enemies in Super Mario 64. If you've played the game, and were able to defeat this enemy, then you know that the only way to defeat it was to run around it in circles to confuse it. The only difference is that you use the sword to defeat it, but you still have to move something in a circular motion.

So in a way, its clever. Nintendo seems to like referencing something about Mario in a lot of their games.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
2. The way I see it, personally, is as a sort of Easter egg. How? Well, this idea was certainly used before in a past Nintendo game. It could be a reference to the Eye enemies in Super Mario 64. If you've played the game, and were able to defeat this enemy, then you know that the only way to defeat it was to run around it in circles to confuse it. The only difference is that you use the sword to defeat it, but you still have to move something in a circular motion.

So in a way, its clever. Nintendo seems to like referencing something about Mario in a lot of their games.

Exactly, Pocket! When I first saw the eyeball monster, that's exactly what I thought of and I thought it was a cool little Easter Egg!

And like Kazumi said, you could call almost anything a gimmick. If there were no gimmicks in games, then the games just wouldn't exist because they, in themselves, are a sort of gimmick.

Rofang

Person
Your point? Motion control in itself is a gimmick.

Well, not to speak for Jupiter, but personally, when I thought the door-dizzying felt gimmicky, it was in the sense that it seemed less like something that makes sense to encounter in a Zelda world and more like a demo for Motion Plus. Of course, it's hardly surprising that the designers would want to show off new uses for the controls, but this particular example just didn't strike me as natural (as opposed to, say, swordplay). Is an eyeball obsessed with watching swords something you'd have expected to see if Motion Plus weren't in the picture? It isn't to me. But oh well.

I could say that lighting a torch on fire is slow and uninteresting and boring, couldn't I?
Sure you could. And man, WOULD I BE PISSED. Well, not really. But yes, both the eye door and lighting torches slow you down when all you want to do is open the door. Some could argue both "puzzles" are superfluous.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity

Oh please, spare me. Now it's an easter egg?? You guys don't need to be apologists for Nintendo and make up reasons that this is a good thing...and first of all, and "easter egg" is something that is hidden away, this is front and center. Next, if this is a reference to Mario, holy crap, it is a lame and pointless reference. Those stupid eyeball enemies in M64 were not like some really fun or memorable thing that people will be thrilled to be reminded of. :sick: Finally, how is this a reference to Mario 64?? That is like saying the steel boots in OoT was a Mario 64 "easter egg" because it was like the metal cap. Ug.

Seriously, this is one of the most ridiculous suggestions I have heard in a forum...and that says something.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Alright, this topic is getting a bit heated. Settle down folks.

I for one happen to like the eye-door, and I agree with Pocket Asian's post.

Last edited:

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'm going to have to disagree with the OP 100%. When I saw this feature being shown, I thought it was a cute little thing to add. I think that it looks like it could be fun, and it is certainly something different for a Zelda game. Sure, similar things have been done (as was mentioned about Super Mario 64), but the concept isn't used very often (or at least not that I've seen). And like Kazumi said, if you don't like it, it will take about 3 seconds out of your gameplay. Is it really worth it to complain about such an insignificant part of the game? Not really.
It's a new way of opening up a door, and I welcome it with open arms

Epona

Ordon Village
I agree, Y2K3. I don't think it's a big deal at all. I don't think it's something to get so upset over. Something different and unique in a new Zelda game. Nothing wrong with that. I see people complain all the time how Zelda games are all alike because of the names and the places and the set up. But when something new and different comes around, people complain all the same. Nintendo just can't win, I guess. :dry:

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
What, would you rather have the eye shoot laser beams at you that kill you instantly? You know, in Zelda games, there are these things called 'puzzles'. They're certain things that the player has to figure out in order to advance through the game. This is what we call a 'puzzle'.

Kirino

Tatakae
Seriously?Everybody says Zelda needs something new.This along with the graphical style is new and people dont appriciate either of them.Besides its only like a few seconds of gameplay and it will be done.there is no reason whatsoever to complain about this.

I was a little annoyed when I saw it in the trailer as it's the type of thing that'd get me stuck. I'd probably be firing arrows at the thing for ages until I noticed it moved :lol: Now I know what to do.

I hope though that it's one change of many to the gameplay. I've been envisaging a Zack and Wiki type approach to the puzzles in SS and that's getting me a bit more excited than even the graphics or items.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
I'm going to have to disagree with the OP 100%. When I saw this feature being shown, I thought it was a cute little thing to add. I think that it looks like it could be fun, and it is certainly something different for a Zelda game. Sure, similar things have been done (as was mentioned about Super Mario 64), but the concept isn't used very often (or at least not that I've seen). And like Kazumi said, if you don't like it, it will take about 3 seconds out of your gameplay. Is it really worth it to complain about such an insignificant part of the game? Not really.
It's a new way of opening up a door, and I welcome it with open arms

My thoughts exactly!!! (this message has to be at least thirty charictars)

What gets me annoyed is this topic. Why must someone always cause a classic like this a gimmick? The whole idea of video games are gimmicks. This is a great idea that sprouted from a mario game. What I'm curouse about is what the eye uses to nurture itself? Do you think it eats people that go inside of it? Like its method of self defence? People don't realise that the word gimmick has no negitive connotation and that gimmicks are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom